BU MAMS Fall 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
brazillian place in allston? no way!?!?! =)

if you feel like making a trek there is this amaazing brazilian place up by Tufts in medford called Oasis, and they're cheap, give you lots of food and have all you can eat buffets.

Hi All,

I will be attending BU this fall and have a few questions about the program:

1) Is the workload manageable?
2) Do teachers and other faculty provide reasonable support during the med school application process?
3) What is the best schedule to take? ...I have a not so stellar undergrad gpa and hope to do very well in this program.
4) Can the literature thesis be completed in under a month? If so, can one leave boston early?

I am excited to meet all of you this fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

2) Do teachers and other faculty provide reasonable support during the med school application process?
3) What is the best schedule to take? ...I have a not so stellar undergrad gpa and hope to do very well in this program.
4) Can the literature thesis be completed in under a month? If so, can one leave boston early?

that's ALL of us cupcake.

Hi All,

1. No, it is designed to make you fail.
2. No, they are determined to make you fail.
3. Doesn't matter, they are all designed to make you fail.
4. Ok I'll give one serious answer. The work can be completed in a month, but you can't submit the thesis itself until August I think, so you will be stuck there for at least that long. After that you can leave, yes.

P.S. for answers for #1-3, just read through this thread. There is a lot of information on it.

Anyone still looking for a male roommate? I'm going to Boston this weekend to check out a few apartments and would rather pay a lesser rent with a roommate. Let me know if you're interested.

has anyone who's lived in boston used or been to the south end fitness center? how is it? are there ample treadmills? i need ample treadmills.

sending in my deposit today... hello fellow terriers... (an odious fate for a former BC eagles...)

congratulations to everyone on your acceptance...however I am still waiting to hear back and I am wondering if there is anyone in the same boat.

just curious...what did any of u former mams ppl do in terms of extracurric activities to keep u guys sane? also this was answered in the FB group and answered but are there any 24 hour study spots u guys recommend?

also why does camaras get to have the cool red letters in her name..no fair.

They are not cool as you put it. People complained against him for god knows what reason and he got put on probation. That gets anyone put in red. If your acct is put on hold for infractions against TOS or whatever on SDN your name is put in orange and if you are banned it shows up in gray I believe.

I'm not sure there's anything cool about it as you put it. Also I don't see what the issue is that people are complaining against him but hopefully they won't ban him cuz he's been great around here esp. on this thread and BU related threads.

i always thought camaras was a chick.

Members don't see this ad :)
just curious...what did any of u former mams ppl do in terms of extracurric activities to keep u guys sane? also this was answered in the FB group and answered but are there any 24 hour study spots u guys recommend?

also why does camaras get to have the cool red letters in her name..no fair.

You can do Outreach Van Project, shadow some docs, plenty of research opportunities and part-time jobs you could pick up. Everyone's got their own hobbies.

The study rooms on the first floor, the 14th fl lounges, and pretty much any random classroom you can find unlocked can be used 24h. It does blow that everything else in the city shuts down at 12-2 so good luck finding coffee or food.

I will be in the BU Medical Sciences program in the fall. I currently have a third floor one bedroom apartment in Harrison Court and am looking to share it with a female roommate. The rental fee per month is $1840.00 but it can be split between the two of us. Let me know if anyone's interested.

thanks for the input dwc...

yea the only thing that bothers me is that boston sleeps at night :(.doesnt the transportation shut down at 2?.being a nyc head and nocturnal doesnt work well. plus i dont have a license either:confused::scared:
i still dont have housing and prob gonna go extremely last second(story of my life:laugh:)
wish me good luck:D

Hi! Haven't been around for a while. I'm guessing everything previously posted has been answered. If not, just re-post, and I'll check it out shortly!

bwahahaha at the coffee/food comment. There's always 7-11 like camaras was telling me one day when we were chatting. haha.

Someone might want to verify this but if I'm not mistaken, the 7-11 by campus on Washington is not 24h.

thanks for the input dwc...

yea the only thing that bothers me is that boston sleeps at night :(.doesnt the transportation shut down at 2?.being a nyc head and nocturnal doesnt work well. plus i dont have a license either:confused::scared:
i still dont have housing and prob gonna go extremely last second(story of my life:laugh:)
wish me good luck:D

For the amount of students that live in Boston, it is mind-boggling how early the city shuts down. The T shuts down at 12 so it's all cabs after that. This probably affects New Yorkers the most and gives them yet another reason to hate Beantown.

Hi gujudoc, It is a one bedroom with a living room. I got this apartment thinking that I was going to live alone but have since changed my mind as I would like to live with someone form the medical sciences and lower the cost. In college, I always lived in a dormitory and shared a room with another girl. We could convert the living room to a bedroom or have two twin beds in the bedroom. Having separate living areas though with the living room would probably afford more privacy. Hopefully you're interested!! Let me know!!! Thanks.

lol i am, gujudoc tries to help me protect my identity - its ok on this thread guju, thanks tho! :)

welcome back... but if you really want to protect your identity, maybe a non-mugshot avatar would help?

EDIT: just an fyi for you non-beantowners... there is pretty much NOTHING that's 24h in boston... precious few McDs, a handful of big supermarkets (Shaw's by BU main campus for example).. that's about it

just an fyi for you non-beantowners... there is pretty much NOTHING that's 24h in boston...

wait...WHAT!?!?

isn't boston metropolitan?...with a bunch of 20-somethings roaming the streets all the time?

LOL!!! Besides just cuz Beantown is a big city doesn't mean its any NYC. Plus its too cold which is probably the bigger issue is the fact that there are a lot of snowy months where its just inconvenient to have places open 24/7 and people are probably not going to go out at those late hours cuz of the weather whereas in Fl. its pretty convenient to go places any time cuz it doesn't snow here so the roads are always clear with a lot of people going at random hours to places like 7-11 or even IHOPs esp. after clubbing or partying it up til late, it rains but even driving in rain is easier then in snow and on ice, and other such reasons. At least that is my guess on why things probably close down.

Perhaps there are other reasons to i.e. like sometimes states have different laws on things in observance of religious beliefs or different things of that nature but I wouldn't know. I'm just guessing that it is probably weather related.

and why does everyone keep calling it beantown?

and as for the lame no-24h-latenight-whatever thing...at least it'll force me to get many a good night's sleep. hopefully.

welcome back... but if you really want to protect your identity, maybe a non-mugshot avatar would help?

haha its no longer an issue, it was in the past. and thanks for the welcome back! but im not really back haha, just checking in briefly

and as for the lame no-24h-latenight-whatever thing...at least it'll force me to get many a good night's sleep. hopefully.

beantown becuz boston was involved in baking beans and making rum or something, way back when. and the name stuck. something like that.

the latest something is open is either 2am or until the end of the red sox game, whichever comes later.

Last edited:
LOL!!! Besides just cuz Beantown is a big city doesn't mean its any NYC. Plus its too cold which is probably the bigger issue is the fact that there are a lot of snowy months where its just inconvenient to have places open 24/7 and people are probably not going to go out at those late hours cuz of the weather whereas in Fl. its pretty convenient to go places any time cuz it doesn't snow here so the roads are always clear with a lot of people going at random hours to places like 7-11 or even IHOPs esp. after clubbing or partying it up til late, it rains but even driving in rain is easier then in snow and on ice, and other such reasons. At least that is my guess on why things probably close down.

Perhaps there are other reasons to i.e. like sometimes states have different laws on things in observance of religious beliefs or different things of that nature but I wouldn't know. I'm just guessing that it is probably weather related.

boston was settled by puritans. it stuck. until my soph year of college liquor stores were not allowed to open on sundays. now they can, but they still have to close early.. etc etc

lol if only i could say the same for myself..ill prob end up stocking up on food and wandering around with it.:smuggrin:

I will be in the BU Medical Sciences program in the fall. I currently have a third floor one bedroom apartment in Harrison Court and am looking to share it with a female roommate. The rental fee per month is $1840.00 but it can be split between the two of us. Let me know if anyone's interested.

Hi! I am definitely interested. Let me know if you're still looking for a roommate.

any other locals this weekend?

also, wtf is with the website; it's completely down

Yeah I know I wanted to see something on the website and it has been down for the last I don't know 2 weeks or so.

And its only for our concentration that its down. The Oral Health track MAMS program website is running as are all the links for the other programs like Anatomy and what not. But I don't know who to contact to figure out why this is the case.
yea. especially since you would generally look up this info ON THE FCKING WEBSITE!!!

is it natasha or michelle or both? i've been in touch with the latter

is it natasha or michelle or both? i've been in touch with the latter

They are mother (michelle) and daughter (natasha).

Call the office, Dianna may know the answer too (as to why the website is n/a).

you can always just get your own insurance and waive the BU one.. which is what i'm doing

new address, not new content

what do you mean by your statement?

new address, not new content

what do you mean by your statement?

I think it is sort of outdated. Right from the top. Those two guys aren't the Co-Chairmen anymore.

Whole bunch of info in this thread...it's been said before, but thanks again for providing inputs/opinions (cameras, guju, red, etc)! Now I won't seem entirely clueless at orientation =P

the website thing's been a huuuuuuge turnoff for me with bu. i almost didn't even apply

yeah I almost didn't apply to BU either but I'm glad I did despite the issues with the website and some other stuff cuz its still one of the 2 most reputable and oldest SMPs at one of the best universities in the nation and I've seen that esp. with some of my home state schools they respect Gtown SMP and BU's MAMS/GMS programs a lot more then other SMPs for precisely this reason. So if it gives me hope of getting in med school and possibly back in my home state then its worth it.

no offense to the terriers out there but BU is not one of the best universities in the nation, unless you use the term "best" broadly..

but seriously, re: website, though i too am glad i applied, it's just a very unprofessional way of presenting themselves. it's a cause for concern.

no offense to the terriers out there but BU is not one of the best universities in the nation, unless you use the term "best" broadly..

but seriously, re: website, though i too am glad i applied, it's just a very unprofessional way of presenting themselves. it's a cause for concern.

their undergrad wasn't but their med school outranks Tufts and a bunch so it's pretty up there. my decision was sealed when i visited, the faculty are simply amazing and the resources are abundant.

What do you guys think...about going to this school if I'm ALSO considering applying PA school?

who's gonna go to the BBQ!!!

orientation is casual dress right?