BU MAMS 2007 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had called a few weeks ago to discuss how the scheduling would occur, and was told that everyone would be pre-registered for some stuff, and that we would be able to drop/add stuff at orientation.

To the people that have gone through the program before: does the schedule available on the GMS website accurately reflect what we can take? I know all of the highlighted classes are supposed to be available to us, but are there other restrictions such as class size or pre-reqs for many of them that would prevent us from taking them the first semester?

I am not sure exactly which schedule on the GMS website you are referring to, but most everything on that site hasn't been updated in years. I think the easiest way to find accurate information would be to go to the BU "student link" at: http://www.bu.edu/link/bin/uiscgi_studentlink.pl/uismpl then click on "Academics" then "University Class Schedule" then select "Fall 07" for semester then select "GMS" as the college under "class number" and then hit "go". This will give you all the classes available in the fall, their meeting times, and restrictions for each class. Usually they put information about prereqs here, but it doesn't look like there are any listed, so you would probably just need to look up the course description and decide if it would be right for you and/or talk to the professor about it.

The classes of interest for most GMS students are:

AN 700 Histology (with Vaughan)
BI 751 Biochemistry (with Offner)
PH 730 Physio A (with Garcia-Diaz)

I am not sure which class the Biostats class is since I didn't take it. I think it might be MS 700 with Killiany?

PM 730 Introduction to Medical Pharmacology with Walsh is an excellent elective choice. It's a really interesting class and not too too much work.

Other common electives are the Clinical Investigation classes (GMS CI XXX), the Mental Health classes (GMS MH XXX), and Nutrition (GMS NU XXX).

I think GE 701 (Genetics and Genomics) is another common GMS elective.

Hopefully this helps those of you that are anxious about your schedules. It's always nice to know this stuff ahead of time. Definitely don't worry though since you will have time during orientation to ensure you have all the right classes.

Members don't see this ad.

thanks for the info! i called the office and they said pretty much the same thing! all of us type a's out there get stressed out by these things!!

see you guys in a month or so!

Hey anyone still looking for a roomate or someone to house with?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the people that have gone through the program, roughly how much do books and other course materials cost each semester? I realize this could vary greatly based on what classes are being taken, but I just want a ballpark figure for planning purposes.

Has anyone heard anything lately about the waitlist?

I applied in January and still have heard nothing definitive back. I have called and emailed a few times and each time was told I will know something soon. Does anyone know if the class for next year is full?

They are still accepting people. I believe they are waiting to hear back from students who have been accepted. I am going to call tomorrow to tell them I will not be attending, so that should help at least one person get in. Good luck to those still waiting!

Hi everyone,
Congratulations on choosing the BUSM GMS Program! If you are still looking for housing, I am currently looking for a 3rd (female) roommate at Harrison Court. Here is a copy of our ad:

$722/month, available August 15th or September 1st

Apartment is located in Harrison Court at the Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM). Tenants are required to be students at the BUSM (School of Medicine, Division of Graduate Medical Sciences, Goldman School of Dental Medicine or School of Public Health). Room is available on August 15th or September 1st and is $722/month. Move in date has some flexibility.

We’re looking for a female roommate for a partitioned third bedroom in a 2-bedroom apartment, two bath. Bedroom is spacious, great privacy with two respectful roommates and you can’t beat the price! Bedroom has air conditioning, free internet and cable is already hooked up in the room (paid monthly). Apartment has its own washer and dryer. Roommates are two female 1st year medical students at the Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM).

Apartment is located directly across the street from the Boston University School of Medicine and the Boston Medical Center. And is 4 blocks from the CT1 and Mass Ave. and 2 blocks from the Silver Line at Washington Street, both of which transfer to the Green Line (at Hynes or Boylston) or the Red Line (at Downtown Crossing). Groceries, up and coming restaurants and bars, all within walking distance.

I also have a lot of pictures available, message me if you're interested! I just finished the GMS program and was lucky enough to get into BUSM this year! While I was going through GMS, I had a 4th year med. student as a roommate and I have to say that her advice was invaluable. I'd be happy to answer any GMS/med school app. questions, whether you choose to live with me or not. :)

me! pick me!

i would really love it if i can room with you guys at Harrison Crt. i actually looked into Harrison Crt before but it was too expensive and competitive. i would make the perfect roommate! i am quiet (most of the time -- it's because i usually study alot). i'm very easy-going and clean. and since i come from a family of 8, i've learned to be responsible and respectful of others at an early age. :D

please email me. i'm really hoping the room is still available.

me! pick me!

i would really love it if i can room with you guys at Harrison Crt. i actually looked into Harrison Crt before but it was too expensive and competitive. i would make the perfect roommate! i am quiet (most of the time -- it's because i usually study alot). i'm very easy-going and clean. and since i come from a family of 8, i've learned to be responsible and respectful of others at an early age.

please email me. i'm really hoping the room is still available.

Got an acceptance email today. My application was completed the last week of June. I think I am going to turn down the offer though. So, for those of you who are still waiting, there is still room.

Was wondering if anyone who knows boston and the SOUTH END could let me know where exactly i should avoid looking for places because of unsafe areas. I would like to be within 5 (maybe 10) min. walking distance of BU Medical Center, so I am only interested in any suggestions about the South End. Would it be best to stay east of Mass Ave?? I think I saw someone say that in an archived post. Thanks a lot for any help you can provide.

does anyone have facebook? :D perhaps we can become "friends" and get to know each other before school starts? i don't know a soul in Boston and would like to start off the year with new friends. then maybe we could form a study group. :)

search for me on the BU network. My name is Tram Hoang, i'm a North Texas Alum '07.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea someone needs to make a BU MAMS 2007 entering class facebook group

so i have officially created a facebook group BU MAMS 2007

feel free to join! :)

thanks! I just joined the group. I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone :)

hey i can't find the group! someone put a link up on here!

i cant find the group either..its called BU MAMS 2007?

sorry. i think the problem is that you can only join if you are on the BU network. i didn't know i restricted it until it was too late. now i don't know how to undo it. anyone a FB expert and can tell me how to change it?

hey, is anyone still looking for a roommate?...i need to find a place soon, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions on the best approach

im applying for fall 08...but i was wondering for the app essay did u guys just use your ps? or did you write a whole new essay, i feel my ps answers all the questions but has that aamcas personal statement feel to it...thanks for the input!

hey...anyone need a roommate? I'm looking for something around the main campus, and pretty much open to anything except pets, smelly people, and loud party girls.

- 22/f/BU GMS student
- from California
- clean and friendly
- looking for something under $700 a month.

Spanks!

:hello: I just got the acceptance email today. I am looking forward to seeing you all in September. If anyone is looking for a roommate, drop me a line.

Hey Guys! So I am looking for a roommate as well - hopefully it's not too late! I am 22/female from Maryland (but did my undergrad at UMiami) - I was looking for a female, nonsmoking roommate - I don't have many preferences really. I'm probably looking to spend anywhere btw $700-800 a month, and find a place nearby the med campus (Backbay/Southend) area - please let me know if you're interested! Looking forward to meeting all of you :)

For the people that have gone through the program, roughly how much do books and other course materials cost each semester? I realize this could vary greatly based on what classes are being taken, but I just want a ballpark figure for planning purposes.

you don't really need to buy any books. most of your info will come from the syllabus. if at all, allocate 200-300 (just to be safe). i only bought:

biochem book (lippencott)
histo atlas (you dont really need this either, since the website (you'll find out later) is 100X more helpful)

do NOT get anything for physio, immuno, endo, pharm. total waste of money.

:hello: I just got the acceptance email today. I am looking forward to seeing you all in September. If anyone is looking for a roommate, drop me a line.

Can I ask when your application was complete?

Hello,
I just found a three bedroom apartment about 0.4 miles from the BU medical campus(South End). The rent is $1450/month. At $725 per person with only one roommate this is cheaper than most 2 bedrooms in the area. If anyone is interested please contact me via email [email protected] or by phone 817-915-8631.

I am a 23 y/o non smoking male and am looking for a nonsmoking roommate.

I got a question to everyone who has their private/grad plus loans in order. So you have the cost of housing and all other expenses, and roughly 8500 or so per semester that isn't covered with the stafford subsidized and unsubsidized. My question is did you factor in the cost of the continuation semesters (4gs I believe) on top of that? I think I read somewhere that you can enroll in research credits to "bank" for later when you actually do your thesis?. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Also, how do I join the BU MAMS Facebook group? Join BU network, right? When do I get my BU email address?

I was just accepted to the program this past friday. I wanted to know if anyone is/has appllied to medical schools this summer for next year. Did you send letters to your schools informing them to wait till they get your first semester grades before reviewing your application?

Was wondering if anyone who knows boston and the SOUTH END could let me know where exactly i should avoid looking for places because of unsafe areas. I would like to be within 5 (maybe 10) min. walking distance of BU Medical Center, so I am only interested in any suggestions about the South End. Would it be best to stay east of Mass Ave?? I think I saw someone say that in an archived post. Thanks a lot for any help you can provide.

Don't look west of Mass Ave. (Roxybury), and south of Albany St....North and East towards back bay/fenway is all pretty nice, but expensive! Well...everywhere in this city is expensive!

Also, how do I join the BU MAMS Facebook group? Join BU network, right? When do I get my BU email address?
You should get a packet of information that will have your BU ID number and then another envelope that will have the 2nd half of your info to log into BU's website. The envelope will also have the instructions on how to create your account. Hope that helps.

Hey everyone, i just got into the BU MAMs program and am frantically looking for a roomate! Im from cali ( bay area). If anyone is looking for a roomate email me at [email protected] :)

Is anyone else as nervous as I am!? I am excited, don't get me wrong, but I feel like this program is kind of an enigma at this point... maybe it's because I haven't gotten a definitive schedule or don't really know how to handle the student/ FAFSA/ grad loans? Will orientation on the 30th & 31st (for those of you who have completed the program) make things a bit more clear? I hope so!

hey guys! i have alot of GSM-ers who are not on the BU network wanting to join the BU MAMS 2007 group but couldn't because i (accidentally) restricted the group to BU network only. soo.... i just created a new group with the same name (BU MAMS 2007) that is now open to everyone and anyone on facebook. search for it and join! i'm sure we'll have more members on the other one now that it is open to everyone.

enna anit 07, if it makes you feel better, i am just as nervous and confused as you are.

http://www.bumc.bu.edu/Dept/Content.aspx?DepartmentID=86&PageID=12435

None of it is very interesting or new, but the last page of the handbook has some dates that are relevant to people starting this fall...and it makes the program seem more official or something I think:D

Is anyone else planning on doing a research-based thesis? I'm still torn between doing a Ph.D. program or med school, so I'm really hoping this year will help me make up my mind...I want to keep up research in case I decide to go the Ph.D. route though...and I'm probably in the small minority of people that actually enjoys lab research, haha.

is anyone looking for a roommate? i'm not quite happy with the place i got right now because it's too far from school. i'm looking for an apartment close to campus. if anyone has a room available, please help! i know it's kinda late, but i'm crossing my fingers. :oops:

email me at [email protected] or send me a message ASAP.

do we dress up? Or...can I come in jeans? hrmm...

I tried to find information on the advisers online but didn't have much luck... Since it seems as though you can "self-select" advisers anyone know where adviser information can be found online? It's last minute but seems worth looking into if the info is available. Any info would be much appreciated!

The advisers should already be assigned to you and you will find out who yours is during orientation. Good luck future GMSers!! (I just finished the first year...any questions?)

do we dress up? Or...can I come in jeans? hrmm...

I will definitely be in jeans since all my "nice" clothes are still packed in a box! It seems like it will just be lunch, a walking tour, and then three hours in an auditorium tomorrow, so I don't know why we would be expected to be dressed up too much. I will check this in the morning though and if the general consensus seems to be dressing up I may be able to dig something out...

is the minimum gpa requirement for the boston program really strict? what if your gpa is around 2.5-2.7?

Hello...i am working on my application right now for the fall 2008 program. Does anyone know if I can use my LORs from AADSAS (i'm a pre-dent)? I want one of the LORs to be from a Dentist but from the looks of the recommendation form from BUMAMS, it looks like they want profs to fill it out. any advice?