BU MAMS 2007 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got accepted into the program today!! :) They sent me an email and my official acceptance package will arrive by mail in a few days. My application was complete March 22.

Members don't see this ad.

Mine was complete March 2nd and they say my application is still pending. :(

I got an acceptance today from BU today. I'm just wondering if anyone had to choose between the programs at BU, georgetown, and Tufts, which one would be considered the best choice?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an acceptance today from BU today. I'm just wondering if anyone had to choose between the programs at BU, georgetown, and Tufts, which one would be considered the best choice?

Don't know much about tufts but BU vs Gtown Id say look at the duration and $$$ for the programs.

If anyone is taking Summer HIstology, and needs a place for teh summer, I'm looking for a roomate starting June 1st. The location of the apt is seriously amazing... safe neighborhood, right near all the Boylston bars, green line, orange line, and BU Shuttle stops.

It's on Clearway St. PM me if anyone is interested. You can easily renew the lease and stay for next year (which i highly recmommend, I love the place)

i got an acceptance email today!! i was complete on February 20th. i'm so excited!

Just got accepted today...

Submitted 1/16/2007, Complete on 2/20/2007, Accepted 5/2/2007

I'm deciding between BU and EVMS...

Anyone want to make any comparisons?

so for those of you accepted - when and where will you be moving? i'm from Texas and know nothing about living in Boston! anyone have good advice for finding a place to live and learning about the city?!

by the way, any other Texans out there going to Boston?

To live anywhere near BU expect to pay between $1400 - $1700 per month for a 1 bedroom apartment. If you don't mind commuting you could look west of the mass pike (90), or in South Boston. Whatever you do, stay out of Dorchester and Roxbury (and a few other "suburbs") although the prices will look more tempting ($1200/month), the # of violent crimes is way up in those areas. Best bet is to check local newspapers to get a good idea of crime v safety, etc., but in general Boston is one of the most expensive cities to live in. I'm going through the same dilemma right now...

well, like I said, if anyone is looking for a June 1st move in I have a great place here. It's early for anyone starting in September, but if you're taking an early summer class like histo (which some people do) it's perfect and under $1000 per person for a great 2 bedroom.

just got accepted to BU today... i got small dilemma tho.. i have already sent in the acceptance to my UMDNJ acceptance a few weeks ago.. i didnt give any deposit (except for the $100 for housing).. but i think i can back out of it.. but now i'm torn as to just stay with UMDNJ or go to BU.. argh

Does anyone have apartment search suggestions? I've been looking on craigslist, realtor.com, etc. and don't really see anything "reasonably" priced. I mean I know Boston is expensive, but the rent searches I've been getting back are just ridiculous. :eek: I think expense is going to play a bigger part in my decision than I wanted it to.

i've been doing a fair amount of searching myself and it seems that only "reasonable" way to go is to find roommates. looks like you can get away paying about 700ish a month if you are in a 2bed/1bath. i'm headed to boston in june to find a place. if anyone has any recommendations on location post them on here!

Does anyone have apartment search suggestions? I've been looking on craigslist, realtor.com, etc. and don't really see anything "reasonably" priced. I mean I know Boston is expensive, but the rent searches I've been getting back are just ridiculous. :eek: I think expense is going to play a bigger part in my decision than I wanted it to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone here trying to decided between BU MAMS and the Tufts MBS? They both seem like great programs, can anyone give some pros and cons?

I've heard Tufts may be a solid program, but it's the first year so hard to tell.

i'm just finishing up my first year in the gms program. i'd say it's definitely been a great program! the classes are hard and challenging, which is great! because if you can do it and do well, and you can be excited about learning this stuff and being in such an intense environment, you can definitely get into med school.
about housing, a lot of students live in allston or brighton. if you find roommates, either here or on craigslist, rent can be as low as 400-500/month per person for a 4bed or more. if you really want your own place, like i did, you'll pay about 1000 for a studio in any area you want to be in. allston is definitely the cheapest really safe student populated area. many people live around harvard ave. off of commonwealth ave. brookline is safe as well, a little more exp and not as many students. that would be around and off of beacon st. it all depends how much you want to spend and what kind of quality of housing you want...

Yikes!!! $53,000 in loans needed for one year to cover everything!!! I guess the numbers listed on the application packet are a little out of date. Anyone recommend any good loans that allow for deferrment for after med school??

GRADPlus Loans after Stafford is maxed out!

just got an email from michelle, im in!

anyone looking for housing feel free to PM me, we can combine our craigslisting powers :)

just got an email from michelle, im in!

anyone looking for housing feel free to PM me, we can combine our craigslisting powers :)

Got the same e-mail...now just waiting on Drexel to make up their mind! Goodluck to all who are waiting.

Anyone gonna be at the fair in June? I'm in chicago this year, and am having a tough time trying to grasp the idea of getting an apartment without actually seeing one first. Anyways, i'm looking for quality roommates and study-buddies for next year, so definitely reply or send me a PM if you're in the same position.

I am in!! soo happy..waiting for gtown to get back to meeh!

Just got accepted to BU...I'm very happy (it's my first acceptance). For those who are in the program/know a lot about the program, what do you think I should expect? If I am applying to med school for 2008, would the BU SMP help me at all?

I also heard that the master's don't take classes with the med students. Is this true? Any additional info will be greatly appreciated...

congrats guys! I am still waiting (in agony) for my first acceptance)

For those who got accepted... is BU MAMS your first choice?

Just got accepted to BU...I'm very happy (it's my first acceptance). For those who are in the program/know a lot about the program, what do you think I should expect? If I am applying to med school for 2008, would the BU SMP help me at all?

I also heard that the master's don't take classes with the med students. Is this true? Any additional info will be greatly appreciated...

Congrats! I just got my acceptance email a couple days ago as well. I heard that the acceptance is really low for people applying for fall 08 but that is only because the med schools don't have your grades from the BU SMP yet and many people in the program are there to remedy lower grades/GPA etc.
But who knows, you could be one of the lucky few who gets in the first year!

hello everyone.. as i mentioned before i'm going into my second year in gms and i'm looking for possible roommates for a 9/1 12 month lease. i just started looking for apts, gonna go see some this week. i'm looking mostly around st mary's st on the C line and then around kenmore square. it's a really good location, close to the BU shuttle and i'll try to find the best price for a nice apt. it'll be about 1800 for a 2br, or a little more for a 2br/split for 3 people. more bedrooms generally means cheaper for each person :p
i'm looking through the bu grad housing office and also other agents.
looking for female roommates who are cool, laid back, don't mind a little noise in the apt once in a while, small gatherings of friends, but also aren't too loud during the week when everyone's studying. friendly and social would be nice but if you like to stay in your room that's probably fine too :p
anyway, anyone who's interested pm me. if you can't make it to boston to see the apts, i can see them and take pics and all that jazz..
thanks!
jess

just got in today

still waiting on the other schools though.

Could anyone already accepted provide a timeline between the time they sent their $200 deposit to when they received their financial aid forms?

Could anyone already accepted provide a timeline between the time they sent their $200 deposit to when they received their financial aid forms?

i received mine about 1 week after i mailed my deposot....then, i got the same package about a week later. so 2 financial aid packages (same exact thing) one week apart.

Mailing out my Deposit today!

for those of you attending BU...when are you guys moving out there? also, anyone retaking the MCAT beast this summer? i'm retaking on july 13th so i can hopefully have a great MCAT and this BU program under my belt before reapplying!

also, where's everyone from? any TX folks???

i assume the MAMS starts in sept? correct me if i'm wrong. seriously.

i plan on stayin in LA until august to take the MCAT before moving out (that's IF i even move out to boston)

so...how important is it to actually send your decision back to them upon receiving the packet? i kind of want to wait a bit to see if i get into other schools within the next two weeks before sending away 200 dollars...

I think they are really strict about recieving your deposit within the time frame they have specified. I emailed them about when I had to send a deposit in becuase I thought the letter was slightly vague (14 days upon receipt of letter and how do they know exactly when you recieve the letter?). I was told they are very strict about recieving deposits on time. I was given a deadline that was only a week after when I recieved the letter and was told the deposit has to physically be in their office by the deadline or your seat will be given away the next day.

I don't know if that helps, but just my personal experience!

i assume the MAMS starts in sept? correct me if i'm wrong. seriously.

i plan on stayin in LA until august to take the MCAT before moving out (that's IF i even move out to boston)

so...how important is it to actually send your decision back to them upon receiving the packet? i kind of want to wait a bit to see if i get into other schools within the next two weeks before sending away 200 dollars...

they didn't say anything about a 2 week period. the letter says immediately upon receiving it.

then again i'm not even at home right now so i guess i won't worry about it until i get back.

Hmmm....all I know is that my letter said to send a deposit "within 14 days of receipt of the acceptance letter"

they didn't say anything about a 2 week period. the letter says immediately upon receiving it.

then again i'm not even at home right now so i guess i won't worry about it until i get back.

They're really strict about when you send in the deposit. I got my letter over a week after it was sent because my apartment number was incorrect for some reason. They were not happy about it, but gave me a few extra days, told me to FedEx it, and if it didn't make it, they would give my spot away, even though it was in the mail.

Is anyone still waiting to hear their application status? I sent in my application very early and have not heard back yet. I know my application is complete but have not had a response to the email I sent asking what my status was about a week ago. Who should I call? Is the fall class full?

They're really strict about when you send in the deposit. I got my letter over a week after it was sent because my apartment number was incorrect for some reason. They were not happy about it, but gave me a few extra days, told me to FedEx it, and if it didn't make it, they would give my spot away, even though it was in the mail.

that's pretty lame of them :|

I'm gonna assume that they're pretty busy and were having a rough day when I called.

call natasha hall! she was always really helpful and courteous whenever I emailed her. good luck!:luck:

For 2008 apps, it will help, but only if you have a decent grades/mcat and good extracurriculars going into the program. very few get in in 1st year, but other than the app cost, you don't lose much by trying...

It costs roughly the same (tuition) whether u do it in 1 year or 2 b/c either way it is 2 full tuition semester and 2 ~$4000 continuing student semesters-- no way to get around it. No matter which way you go, you can do either a lab or library thesis. I did it in 2 yrs and did a library thesis while I moved back home.

For classes:
Depends on the class. biochem is separate (same class/same profs. but different semester) histology- 1/2 take it 1st semester w/o MEDs, 1/2 take it 2nd semester with the MEDs. physio goes both ways as well (2 semester class vs. the 1 semester class with the meds).. Endocrinology and Immuno are both with the MEDs.

For the medical classes that are NOT with the 1st year MEDs, the class is EXACTLY the same-- same syllabus, profs., etc.

You are better off taking the two semester physio track (spreads out physio and puts you into histology 1st semester (w/o MEDs)). It will save you A TON of stress in second semester as you wont have to take the condensed histo/physio at the same time (histo alone is an INSANE amount of work.)
---> but you will deal with this @ orientation.

For 2008 apps, it will help, but only if you have a decent grades/mcat and good extracurriculars going into the program. very few get in in 1st year, but other than the app cost, you don't lose much by trying...

It costs roughly the same (tuition) whether u do it in 1 year or 2 b/c either way it is 2 full tuition semester and 2 ~$4000 continuing student semesters-- no way to get around it. No matter which way you go, you can do either a lab or library thesis. I did it in 2 yrs and did a library thesis while I moved back home.

For classes:
Depends on the class. biochem is separate (same class/same profs. but different semester) histology- 1/2 take it 1st semester w/o MEDs, 1/2 take it 2nd semester with the MEDs. physio goes both ways as well (2 semester class vs. the 1 semester class with the meds).. Endocrinology and Immuno are both with the MEDs.

For the medical classes that are NOT with the 1st year MEDs, the class is EXACTLY the same-- same syllabus, profs., etc.

You are better off taking the two semester physio track (spreads out physio and puts you into histology 1st semester (w/o MEDs)). It will save you A TON of stress in second semester as you wont have to take the condensed histo/physio at the same time (histo alone is an INSANE amount of work.)
---> but you will deal with this @ orientation.

Not exactly...

If you take the 2 semester physiology track then you take Histology 2nd Semester w/o med students. Everyone takes biochem 1st semester w/o med students.
I took the 1st semester histology w/ med students and 2nd semester physiology w/ med students, and I think it was definitely the best way to go. It is a bit more stress, but I liked the progression of the coursework better this way.
I do agree that you should NOT take the condensed physiology w/ med students with histology w/o med students 2nd semester. It seemed brutal.

Anyone who got accepted recently? Any updates? I'm still waiting to hear mine. My application got completed at the end of May.

does anyone know about the consequences, if any, of sending in the deposit to reserve your seat and then not actually attending the school to go to another? If I do attend another school, what do I say to BU?

I think you just have to request a refund by a certain date. Though, I'm pretty sure that it's not a fully refund, and the closer to the start of classes, the less the amount. There are instructions in the letter on how to request the refund and withdraw your acceptance. I think the ONLY exception to obtain a full refund is if you show proof of acceptance into med or dental school for this entering class. Good luck.

I know this questions was asked before in other thread, but I wasn't able to search it because of its length. So, I'm asking again.

Are you guys pulling out private loans? Someone told me that we get ony $8500 for subsidized loans and $10000 for unsubsidized loans. Unless there are some contributions from family, there is no way we can cover tuition and living expenses w/ federal loans. Anybody heard anything else?

Hey everyone! I just got home from spending a week in Boston and thought I would share some info!

The location of BUMC is somewhat shady in my opinion. There are many places to live right around campus however, safety was a big concern of mine. I am from a suburb of Dallas, TX and would be afraid to live in some of the areas right around campus. Maybe I'm overly paranoid but when you have to walk past a massive government housing project to get to your place it's just a matter of time before you get mugged! I ended up choosing a place in the Fenway area and will be able to get to the school in 15min by bus. We are in a 3 bedroom/1 bath in a mid-rise apartment building for $2700/month - the only other bill we will have is electricity. We got really lucky and only had to put down the first months rent, no realtor fee and our landlord is dispersing the security deposit over the duration of the lease. The majority of places require you to put down the first and last months rent, security deposit equal to one months rent and a realtor fee so, for a $2000/month apartment you are looking at putting down $8000 just to sign the lease. Pretty unbelievable if you ask me! Our place is on Commonwealth just East of the BU main campus. It is about a mile down the road from the new fitness center at BU (which is amazing!!! - i'm a workout nut and can't wait to workout there!!) and less than a 3min walk to the Kenmore T-stop. Parking in this area and all over the city is difficult. I will not be brining a car and will be relying on public transportation to get around. The BU/BUMC shuttle and also another city bus route picks up at places less than a 5min walk from our apartment.

I met with Dr. Broitman, the finanical aid coordinator and also another lady in the MAMS office. I left thinking how expensive this program is but also very confident that this program will get me into medical school. Everyone was very friendly and assured me that coming to BU will be worth it. I learned that the majority of people take 18 months to finish the program. I will spend the first two semesters doing only course work and in the first summer session I will begin research to write my thesis. The thesis work can typically be finished in time to graduate the next January (so 18 months total). Another big plus is that you can do your research work at any lab in the city or out of the city...Harvard, MIT, UMass etc. or I could come back to the lab I have been working at in Dallas to do my research. I was pretty excited about these options!

Overall, I am looking forward to moving up to Boston for this program. Finding an apartment was very difficult and we were there 3 and a half days. If you are not famaliar with the city, don't expect to find a place in one day. You really need to spend time walking the neighborhoods to figure our where you will be comfortable. This was pretty much my experience, if you guys have any questions feel free to message me! If you need a realtor I can recommend a great one (even though we lucked into finding a place she did not show us)!

Thanks for the info zoolash!

Any recent acceptances?? If so our of curiosity what were your stats? GPA etc

I had a friend who got in in AUgust, anyne know how long they continue on with acceptances?