BU MAMS 2007 Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My bad. I meant, will you be applying to medical schools while completing the MAMS?

bump

hmm...Maximus, it looks like we spoke with two different women. Either way...its just a waiting game at this point.

Looks like they are waiting it out a little longer this year...

The only thing we need to mail in is the MCAT thX and Signature form right? I haven't submitted mine yet :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

If accepted, :rolleyes: I think I'll apply to med schools in my 2nd year of MAMS.I just want to take the 1st year to get a solid gpa and study [using techniques] for retaking that horrid MCAT. :(

Besides, I heard that a great percentage of MAMS students get in during their 2nd yr (because they have taken more classes) than in the 1st year (they only see like your 1st 2 semesters).

I remember last summer, this thread was really hot because everyone was finding out in summer. I hope we have an advantage by sending ours in so early.
:)

Sooooo......I called today because I haven't heard anything since I got the "you are complete" email about a month ago. Here's how the conversation went...

..ring...ring..

Lady: Hello Boston...

Me: Hi, I was calling about my application status because I haven't heard anything in a while since I was complete.

Lady: We will notify you of your status (then she interrupted herself...kind of odd I thought she was going to end the conversation right then and there??:confused: ) What's your name?

Me: xxxxxx...that's spelled x-x-x-x-x-x-x (I have a complicated first and last name...so yeah)

Lady: You were only complete on Feb. 15 and the review process didn't start until late February early March.

Me: Oh, ok, I'm sorry! :oops: :oops:

Lady: Yes, you will be notified when you are accepted

Me: Thank you.

So...It looks like we have a long wait ahead of us...I was a little confused about the 'you will be notified when you are accepted', she didn't say 'if' she said 'when'....like she 'knows' something??? I think I am reading into it too much...I am just glad she didn't cut the conversation short though :)

Well, I hope the wait isn't as long or as drawn out like those that were accepted last year!

:luck: :luck:

PlAnEjaNe

Members don't see this ad :)
Awwww, I get no luv!!!

PlAnEjaNe

Your feedback is much appreciated planejane:) . I just don't think were gonna get much communication in here till people start hearing from BU.

I wonder when they will start making decisions...

I took a little trip down to their office today (i live nearby) to hand deliver one of my transcript after several tries through USPS and man were they swamped by mail...they were really nice and I was told not to even think about hearing from them for a while. I'm a reapplicant and I remember them going well into the summer with their decision making last year. So sit back, relax and stop chasing down your mailman/lady!:)

I just got news of my acceptance to BU MAMS yesterday. I'm so excited! I also have recently applied to UC, EVMS, Loyola, and Georgetown. If I get into the Cincinnati program as well, it will be a tough decision. Good luck everyone!

hey congrats MD84! just curious.. when was your application complete? and did you find out by mail or email? again.. congrats!! really good program to get into

My application was complete in mid March. I received the news first through email and the package is coming in the mail. Good luck!

hmmm making wonder when I'll be hearing back.. my application was complete back in January..

I am not sure about Boston, but from what other SMP program directors have told me, they do admissions in rounds. In the early rounds they don't let many people in and they put most apps in a "we'll see next round" pile. BU hasn't even finished accepting apps yet. I heard that a majority of the class receives admission in the summer. I know waiting sucks, but I wouldn't get discouraged.

thanks for all the info MD84... the wait is definitly the worst. BU is my first choice so I am a little anxious to hear from them. But hey, if it is the way you say it is.. at least i havent gotten a rejection.. so no news is good news i guess

Members don't see this ad :)
i feel like my life is on hold.

i'm on "hold" at loyola and georgetown....still under initial review at BU (complete since early march!)!!

BU is my first choice!! i hope i get to join you in the ranks of "accepted"

for those already in...what are your stats?

I found out on Monday that I was accepted and the package came in the mail yesterday. You have to give them a response within 14 days of receiving the package which kind of sucks because I was hoping to wait until the Tufts open house on the 10th to make my decision. 14 days from yesterday is the 10th...

Oh well.

Stats....
28Q (7PS, 11VR, 10BS), 29Q (8PS, 11VR, 10BS)
2.95 cumulative GPA
2.8 BCPM GPA

I was complete approx. 3 weeks ago.

Good Luck Everyone :luck:

For those of u who are accepted, how did they inform u of ur acceptance? phone call, email, snail mail??

For those of u who are accepted, how did they inform u of ur acceptance? phone call, email, snail mail??

email, with the promise of a packet in the mail, that I still haven't received. but I'm in CA...

email, with the promise of a packet in the mail, that I still haven't received. but I'm in CA...

Thanks! I am in MN and i called Ms. hall yesterday and she said my app is still pending and under review. I have been complete since Feb 8th. I might be rejected.

So I got into BU MAMS last week and am very excited. But I am a little unclear about the program. Can it be done in one year like Georgetown? or does it generally take two? I would like to do a one year program, so perhaps georgetown would be better?

So I got into BU MAMS last week and am very excited. But I am a little unclear about the program. Can it be done in one year like Georgetown? or does it generally take two? I would like to do a one year program, so perhaps georgetown would be better?

Would you mind to share your stats and background?

I am finishing the program in one year. It is designed to be completed in either one or two years, your choice. If you decide to do it in one year, you will do a library thesis like Georgetown. Otherwise you will do a research thesis. It just depends on your particular situation, and what you need to get out of the program to be admitted to medical school.
I have really enjoyed this program by the way, and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

What did you think of the medical school classes at Boston? Were you able to take gross anatomy in the summer? Also how much does it cost to complete the masters program in one year? I heard it's $33k for just the fall and winter semester. I am having trouble deciding between Boston and Cincinnati's programs. Any advice?
Thanks

I am finishing the program in one year. It is designed to be completed in either one or two years, your choice. If you decide to do it in one year, you will do a library thesis like Georgetown. Otherwise you will do a research thesis. It just depends on your particular situation, and what you need to get out of the program to be admitted to medical school.
I have really enjoyed this program by the way, and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

What did you think of the medical school classes at Boston? Were you able to take gross anatomy in the summer? Also how much does it cost to complete the masters program in one year? I heard it's $33k for just the fall and winter semester. I am having trouble deciding between Boston and Cincinnati's programs. Any advice?
Thanks

Tuition is about $34K for Fall and Winter, I am not sure what it will cost for both summer sessions that I will take this summer, but I think it will be like $4K for the entire summer. I just have to enroll as a continuing student and finish my thesis.
I didn't take Gross Anatomy. I think you can, but I don't know anyone who did. A few take Histology in the second summer session.
I also decided between the UCinc program and BU. I chose BU mainly because for its long reputation of success and living in Boston was a better fit for me. You just need to look at which program is a better fit for you. I know that there are several people on this forum who chose the UCinc program and seem to like it. I sugggest finding them and sending a PM asking details regarding the program.
Hope this is informative. Honestly, I really don't think you can make a bad choice in this regards.

I'm also currently enrolled in the BU program. I'm one of the lucky few who got accepted to med school during the first year, but they made it very clear that they wanted me to finish the program and not just take the year off. So I'll be starting med school back in NJ in the fall.

As far as the program goes, it's an excellent program as far as preparing you for medical school. The amount that I have learned in the short time I've been here is astounding. I personally slacked off a decent amount in college (regretfully) but this program whips you into shape immediately. It forces you to engage fully in the courses at all times. There is definitely no way that youre going to breeze through any of the courses.

However, at the same time, the quality of the professors is amazing. Every single one of them is more than willing to meet with you privately if you need help. And i would say 90% of the advisors sit on the BU med school admissions committee and totally help you with the whole application process and pick your courses.

I've seen so many people writing and asking what the med school acceptance rates were for various post-bacc programs. It's nonsense. If you come to this program, take it serious and work your butt off, you will get into med school. But remember, this is not undergrad, its a lot harder but, it will get you totally ready for med school, and also undoubtedly improve your MCAT score after taking the classes.

Thanks so much for the info people. I have read that there is a possibility of making the program a MA/MPH in two years. Do you know anyone who did that? Or is rare? And is it hard to get the MPH? Thanks for any info!

Thanks so much for the info people. I have read that there is a possibility of making the program a MA/MPH in two years. Do you know anyone who did that? Or is rare? And is it hard to get the MPH? Thanks for any info!

An MPH is itself a 2 year degree so I can't really imagine how you would get the dual degreen in 2 years since you have to somehow do thesis work in there.... I havent heard of anyone doing that either..

Yes, you can definitely do that. I think it is a very common dual degree to get. I know of at least two who are doing it and one of my friends is thinking of doing the MPH for his lag year while he applies. Call and ask the GMS or Public Health office for the particulars.

Yes, you can definitely do that. I think it is a very common dual degree to get. I know of at least two who are doing it and one of my friends is thinking of doing the MPH for his lag year while he applies. Call and ask the GMS of Public Health office for the particulars.

Wow, didn't know about that.. MPH is definietly a nice degree to have

About how many MAMS students matriculate each year?

just got my acceptance email today. it was a relief to get some good news for once after a long year of constant rejection. did anyone else apply to tufts? which program do you think is stronger?

I'm also currently enrolled in the BU program. I'm one of the lucky few who got accepted to med school during the first year, but they made it very clear that they wanted me to finish the program and not just take the year off. So I'll be starting med school back in NJ in the fall.

As far as the program goes, it's an excellent program as far as preparing you for medical school. The amount that I have learned in the short time I've been here is astounding. I personally slacked off a decent amount in college (regretfully) but this program whips you into shape immediately. It forces you to engage fully in the courses at all times. There is definitely no way that youre going to breeze through any of the courses.

However, at the same time, the quality of the professors is amazing. Every single one of them is more than willing to meet with you privately if you need help. And i would say 90% of the advisors sit on the BU med school admissions committee and totally help you with the whole application process and pick your courses.

I've seen so many people writing and asking what the med school acceptance rates were for various post-bacc programs. It's nonsense. If you come to this program, take it serious and work your butt off, you will get into med school. But remember, this is not undergrad, its a lot harder but, it will get you totally ready for med school, and also undoubtedly improve your MCAT score after taking the classes.

Hi Osin83,

Do you mind telling us of your stats when you applied to the BU Post-Bacc program? Did you retake your MCAT while you were in the program? Thanks!

i also received my acceptance e-mail today.

Hey, anyone apply to MAMS concentration in Oral Health Sciences? Or am i the only dental wannabe here?

Hey, anyone apply to MAMS concentration in Oral Health Sciences? Or am i the only dental wannabe here?

Yep, I'm a dental wannabe too...
Haven't heard back yet (except for the "app complete" email). Fingers crossed...:eek:

got my acceptance email today. still waiting to hear back from a couple other schools.

got my acceptance email today. still waiting to hear back from a couple other schools.

Do you mind me asking when you applied? and how long it took to hear back?

Thanks

Hi, just in case I confused you, I didn't apply for the concentration in Oral Health Sciences. I applied for the regular MAMS program. If you still want to know, my file was complete late March. I submitted most of my application early March but had to wait until the 25th or so for a letter writer to send in my rec to finally be complete.

Hi, just in case I confused you, I didn't apply for the concentration in Oral Health Sciences. I applied for the regular MAMS program. If you still want to know, my file was complete late March. I submitted most of my application early March but had to wait until the 25th or so for a letter writer to send in my rec to finally be complete.

Ya, i did realize you were applying for med, but I was just curious how long it took them...

anyways thanks!

it took roughly about a month from the time i submitted my application up the day i received my acceptance into the medical science program.

Hey you guys that got accepted mind sharing your stats? I applied and am worried about getting rejected, cause honestly I already had so many rejections this year I really don't want anymore!!
My stats were decent enough to get a few interviews and a waitlist (mind you at dental schools), but I think I applied late for the MAMS program, so I'm a little worried now.
Thanks.

Hey you guys that got accepted mind sharing your stats? I applied and am worried about getting rejected, cause honestly I already had so many rejections this year I really don't want anymore!!
My stats were decent enough to get a few interviews and a waitlist (mind you at dental schools), but I think I applied late for the MAMS program, so I'm a little worried now.
Thanks.

hey, i just found out that i got into the program yesterday. but i think i'm headed to UMDNJ for the MBS program. here are my stats

3.2 cum
3.0 science
29Q MCAT August 2006

hope it helps..and good luck

hey, i just found out that i got into the program yesterday. but i think i'm headed to UMDNJ for the MBS program. here are my stats

3.2 cum
3.0 science
29Q MCAT August 2006

hope it helps..and good luck

What made you choose UMDNJ over BU? Just curious, because those are my top 2 post-bacc choices as well, and I'm having trouble deciding which would be best for me (I'm leaning towards BU b/c of the oral concentration for dental school). Oh ya...I have to get accepted first...:eek:

Hi guys,
I started the BU MAMS Program in 2005 and was accepted to BUSM in my 2nd year of GMS while working on my thesis. So it definitely can happen! They took 34 students this year from the GMS program. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the program and I'll try to post on this board more often.

Also, I know this may be a little early to start considering, but my roommate and I are renting out a room in our apartment starting June 10th, though the move in date has some flexibility. The apartment is in Harrison Court, directly across the street from BUSM and is considered on-campus housing. There is a notorious waitlist for Harrison Court, but this is one way to circumvent that. If anyone is interested, feel free to PM me. :) We'd prefer a female roommate too, sorry guys!

Here's the link to the ad with pictures:
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/abo/310940865.html

Good luck again with your applications and I hope to see you all in the Fall! :)

What made you choose UMDNJ over BU? Just curious, because those are my top 2 post-bacc choices as well, and I'm having trouble deciding which would be best for me (I'm leaning towards BU b/c of the oral concentration for dental school). Oh ya...I have to get accepted first...:eek:

well i've been in boston for the past 4 years for my undergrad and i'm a nj resident so i'll be saving roughly 30k by going to umdnj. although bu has the name, i just thought paying 40k for a postbac was a little steep, esp given the fact that as long as you do well in any masters program, you're bound to go to some med school

good luck with your app!

Hey, I just recieved the acceptance email.
I also got into Georgetown's SMP program. I am trying to decide. Any advice?

anyone received an acceptance today?

Does anyone have info on how full the class is at this point?

Does anyone have info on how full the class is at this point?

I was told by a pre-dent that applied there very recently, that when he called they told him that there were still spots available and that was probably around late march, early april. This is for the Oral health concentration. I haven't heard anything from them yet and I'm hoping there is still space!

I have not heard anything from them and I was complete 2 months ago. ....

Still waiting:scared: