Board Certification in Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also can apply for some sub specialties now. I'm wondering if this might be a positive indicator. Does anyone who has taken the boards in previous years have insights on whether this means anything?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
same here!

I took CAP this year. Last year after adult boards, the night before results came out the system allowed me the option to sign up for sub-speciality exams. So I think that is a positive indicator, and that results would be soon to come.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also can apply for some sub specialties now. I'm wondering if this might be a positive indicator. Does anyone who has taken the boards in previous years have insights on whether this means anything?
Previously it was discussed in this forum. May be around page 16-18. It has nothing to do with the result of the exam. I had that option last year and I failed. Now it’s not showing up. I am supposed to apply for sleep boards in 2024. Now I am anxious why it’s not showing up for me. This was the topic almost every year before results and we had mixed results every year. Sorry if I disappoint any one.

• Sad
If you're good at tests, don't stress too much about this one. I only studied for about a week, did less than half of Spiegel, and passed comfortably with an average score. But, gotta admit, I got super anxious about the results because I felt like I hadn't studied enough. Just sharing my experience!

Btw - I usually do well on prites too

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
PASSED! On the flip side, as someone who did quite poorly on PRITE exams and isn't the strongest test taker, I felt this was an overall doable exam with some prep. I used BTB (got through about 2/3 of questions), Speigel (x2), and Boardvitals (x1.5). I basically started doing questions about 4 months before the exam and chugged through a handful most days. Ended up learning a lot and passing safely with an average score.

Just wanted to let those who might be nervous based on low PRITE scores know it's doable for them too!

Reactions: 4 users
Passed also. We did it. I've never been a good test-taker.

I was at work earlier but now have more time to expand on my prep. This forum has provided me guidance as I pursue a medical career since I don't have family members in medicine and no real mentors. Thank you.

I started seriously studying in June given my busy fellowship training. Not every day or every afternoon. I may have had 30 min/day on weekdays and 2 hrs on weekends. I have never been able to sit in one spot and study since I was a pupil. Medical school was where I had challenges and learned how to study.

What I did:
I used my friend's BTB account that she had left over. I mainly listened to the videos in my weak areas and downloaded the document. I also did some of the questions (30%) avg 77%. I did some of the vignettes which were hit or missed. It expired in July (??), so I used K&S online version (also had hardcopy) to simulate the questions and vignettes until the test date. My attention is poor, so reading books was never that helpful for me. Mainly an auditory learner, so I listen at 2-3x speed for lectures.

I think there was a mixture of questions that represented both of my resources. Also, a lot of WTF questions where all the answers could be correct. I used DSM-V to review criteria for paraphilias, sleep disorders, or other disorders that I didn't have exposure to. As others have echoed, this was much easier than other exams I've taken along the way. We used board vitals, old prites, ninja prite, and psychiatry genius in residency; however, I was always too busy to commit to it. I did awful on the prites and had failures on my step exams. I didn't let those failures prevent me from succeeding. I am the dictator of my life. I know what embarrassment and shame feel like, but I addressed my issues and moved forward.

I know we are all intelligent people, or we wouldn't be where we are today. We are resourceful and problem solvers at baseline. For those who didn't pass, keep pushing forward. You'll get it and you're resilient. For those of us who passed, "Congrats", and hope you're done. I still have a sub-specialty board to complete, which I need to figure out when I can sit for it and study.

Hope this helps others. Send me a message if you want to know more. I'm in the job-seeking phase of my life, so you'll see me on those threads.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Passed. Now let us never speak of exams again.

Just for clarification I was someone who did terrible on PRITE, often worst in my class and still passed by around 60-70 points. My advice would be to take the test seriously. I luckily had a few months off before the exam and prepped a few hours each day for it. Did all of the Spiegel questions multiple times over. Also did BTB, watched about half the lectures, and did the entire Qbank. It seemed to be enough.

I think if you're a bad test taker you can still definitely pass, but you probably have to put in 2 or 3x the work that an average test taker would, if you want to be safe.

I also felt like I failed coming out of the exam, but I guess everyone does.

Reactions: 2 users
Passed my CAP certification!!! GOOD BYE BOARD EXAMS!!!!

I failed it by 10 points.. this was my second attempt... sigh...

• Care
Passed by about 1 standard deviation above the mean.

Used MyPsychBoard qbank (2x), Kenny and Spiegel qbank (2x) and First Aid Step 1 (Psych and Neuro Sections).

I never touched BTB.

Thankful and grateful to God I passed my CAP exam! These exams are officially over and it all seems so weird.

I learned I’m a terrible test taker in medical school (not the best time to realize such) and that I had severely untreated ADHD and Depression. Since then these standardized tests have crushed me in more ways than one to the point idk how I did on any of the 5 PRITE exams I took because I was too scared to check. I did BTB for both exams (and Spiegel for adult) and though the questions may not be the exact same as the exam, I feel like the explanations were where I learned the most. I didn’t study anything else.

My advice for poor test takers: listen to your gut on what you need to study and don’t fall into the trap of doing what everyone else does. I pushed my adult exam back a year even though my PD begged me not to and tried to convince me that failing isn’t a big deal. Needless to say I’m definitely glad I moved it. Buy/use whatever materials you feel like you need. Most people wouldn’t rank BTB high on usefulness, but it worked for me on adult so I trusted the process for CAP. Everyone is different and abilities are different.

At the end of the day you’re never alone even though it feels that way. This group has been super supportive since I started applying for boards and I will forever be grateful for that. If I can ever help anyone please reach out and I’m happy to share my story, give advice, or be a supportive ear to just listen.

Also passed, pretty surprised I was below average but happy anyway. Congratulations to everyone who passed and to any who didn't keep your heads up!

Passed >1SD. I found this to be the easiest of all of the exams since starting medical school. Found most of the questions to be pretty straightforward and many questions were things that I inherently knew.

I went through about 70% of Board vitals (I found these questions to be more complicated and more nuanced than the actual test) and took a couple of the practice exams in Spiegel with no real dedicated study time. Honestly I think what I learned in my residency program was the most helpful thing. Also I'm a pretty good test taker (but the first two steps were quite challenging and stressful for me and I got pretty average scores).

Reactions: 1 users
Passed!!! Slightly above average! Congrats guys!!!

This thread in intended to give advice and guidance to those embarking on the arduous task of board certification. This sticky should remain valuable, as the board certification will soon be changing.

In this sticky, you'll find links to important websites you'll need to register, and check back from time to time. Feel free to ask questions about the process, and to those who will soon be taking the updated format (non-traditional oral exam), feel free to opine on the experience - without, of course, violating the candidate confidentiality agreement.

General discussion and experiences about the board certification process in psychiatry.

Discussion regarding oral-board review courses.
I passed and I'm not a good test taker! Recommend using my psych board as well as BTB!

Dual-board life achieved! Congrats all!

CAP boards this time: utilized BtB videos and questions, BoardVitals, and K&S sections that overlapped.

I unfortunately failed. Looks like I’ll be retaking next year. Anyone know how this impacts my career?

Last edited:
  • Care
Failed by a few points as well :( Went through mypsychboard (2x) and K&S (2x) but I'm historically a poor test taker (never did too well on PRITEs). I will have to change up how I study for next year.

• Care
Congratulations to everyone that passed. Unfortunately, I failed the CAP exam by a few points. I know it's not the end of the world, but does anyone know how important passing cap exam will be for working on a inpatient child/psychiatry unit. I work at a community hospital and they are starting a residency program. I'm kind of worried how this will impact me especially if I will be working with residents.

• Care
Passed! Did lots of questions for prep. No reading or videos. All qbanks completed 100%.

MyPsychBoard: 75.3%
TrueLearn ABPN: 67.8%
BTB Qbank: 81%
K&S all tests in order: 75.3%, 64%, 71.3%, 73.3%, 74%, 74.7%

68th percentile. Felt I did worse but overall didn’t feel nearly as bad as PRITEs

Congratulations to everyone that passed. Unfortunately, I failed the CAP exam by a few points. I know it's not the end of the world, but does anyone know how important passing cap exam will be for working on an inpatient child/psychiatry unit. I work at a community hospital and they are starting a residency program. I'm kind of worried how this will impact me especially if I will be working with residents.
I’m sorry about your exam, I know you’ll beast it next year!

As for your question, my APD failed her CAP the first time and she was still able to work with us in fellowship. Same for a few of my other attendings. The only thing you can’t do right now is CSVs for CAP fellows, you can obviously still do them for residents.

Passed! Did lots of questions for prep. No reading or videos. All qbanks completed 100%.

MyPsychBoard: 75.3%
TrueLearn ABPN: 67.8%
BTB Qbank: 81%
K&S all tests in order: 75.3%, 64%, 71.3%, 73.3%, 74%, 74.7%

68th percentile. Felt I did worse but overall didn’t feel nearly as bad as PRITEs
How do you know the percentile? Is it in the score report?

Passed on my first try by a fair margin. Did one test in K&S and couldn't be bothered to study anymore. Your residency programs are not preparing you well if you need to be doing this much studying. Hold them accountable.

Third time taking the initial certification exam and failed by 6 points. Not a good test taker, didn’t do well on prite. Did BTB 1/2 of the videos, BTB qbank x1 and Board vitals x1.5. Guess still wasn’t enough.
Not sure what to study next year. This one hurts too much.

• Care
I failed it by 10 points.. this was my second attempt... sigh...
You will Pass, it took me 4 attempts, but I Thank God and This forum that helped me Pass today! In summary from above, Spiegal and know DSM 5TR!! Of course I did BTB 2 to 3 times, Board vitals x 1.5 times, Live Lectures for BTB 3 times, but my job is also very busy, so actual studying was only like 2 to 3 weeks before exam; this current one was like 1.5 weeks intense study...You will Pass! God Bless You!

I unfortunately failed. Looks like I’ll be retaking next year. Anyone know how this impacts my career?
So many Psychiatry jobs are looking for BE/BC (Board Eligible/Board Certified); I have been working 3 years on BE and failed this exam 3 times; along with other colleagues I know, all on different jobs, including inpatient, outpatient, VA...etc...so job wise should be okay...but of course helps to keep going and get the Board Certification, they give you 7 years... You will do it like everyone else...try, try again...God Bless You!

Failed by a few points as well :( Went through mypsychboard (2x) and K&S (2x) but I'm historically a poor test taker (never did too well on PRITEs). I will have to change up how I study for next year.
Many docs will mention different things that helped them; really depends on our core knowledge, as someone pointed out to me during the USMLEs...our residency program was busy so not much time to read up on everything...that being said...this Forum helped me; I wish I had used it earlier, I looked at these posts starting a few months back; read all the posts and looks like Spiegel (both book and online questions, videos, all of it) + DSM 5TR (know this cover to cover; I used the desk reference and read all of it; highlighted and underlined to know the difference in DDx and classifications); This helped me the most this time; and I only solid studied less than 2 weeks, like I mentioned crazy busy job that i am leaving for better life work balance now...All The Best!! You Got This!! (Yes other years, I did BTBx 2.5; Board Vitals x 1.5; Psychiatry Genius x 1...etc); it's what works for you...but I still think boards focus on Spiegel and DSM and small trivial things...Best!

I got about 87th percentile. I never studied for PRITE and guessed on all of them for all thd years and did middle of the pack or last in this compared to my classmates. I did well on the Step exams. I studied for 4 weeks for the test (I started a new 9-5 job during the last 2 weeks and would seriously (like 3-4 hours) study after I came back from work and on weekends). I used only Kaplan and Spiegel free PDF version and went through it only once thoroughly, and spent a long time memorizing and understanding the info. I just read through the cases at the in end. I felt that I failed the test and was worried about it. It seems that I overstudied!!

Last edited:
Third time taking the initial certification exam and failed by 6 points. Not a good test taker, didn’t do well on prite. Did BTB 1/2 of the videos, BTB qbank x1 and Board vitals x1.5. Guess still wasn’t enough.
Not sure what to study next year. This one hurts too much.
Sorry to hear, that was me last year on 3rd attempt along with some collegues and just fed up...then I reviewed this forum: this time I focused on Spiegel, All of it, questions x 3 and explanations + videos x 2 and explanations & DSM 5TR (cover to cover, highlight and underline and know differences)..of course some BTB and other qbanks, which did nothing for me previous years and I was getting 75+% in them...I felt better this time with Spiegel + DSM 5TR! Of course check census from others that Passed! You Will PASS!! God Bless You!

yoloswagpooper passed with a 392
Im mad that I didn’t get a 100. But I took 1 wellness day before I guess.

Attachments

• IMG_9321.jpeg
    IMG_9321.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 81
For those interested in percentile rank.
Average of 300 and 50 SD
So if you got a 350 you were at 84.1% - 15.9% of test takers scored above you.

400 you were at a 97.7% - 2.3% of test takers scored above you.
IMG_9352.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9351.jpeg
    IMG_9351.jpeg
    149.1 KB · Views: 46
I failed 4th time. Not at all a good test taker. Struggled with USMLE exams and PRITE all the time. Never failed an exam in life but this one is impacting my confidence. Failed with 9 points less. I did K&S (X3), BTB (X2) attended live lectures of BTB, did some PRITE ninja. I am working full time and also teaching in Med school (at least 10-12 lectures per year). Clinical rotation with me is the number one priority for all the students. The school sends me my annual report and I am topping every year consecutively for the 3 years for best clinical rotation. School offered me Clerkship Director position too. With all the name and fame, I feel more and more ashamed for not being able to pass the exam. I planned to take Sleep Medicine boards in 2024 but now, I have to prepare for this exam again and can not take the Sleep boards until I pass this.

Can we make a group (with those who failed this time) and start preparing again for next year? I would like to know where I am missing the logic and also would like to see other's point of view. I would like to restart my preparation, sometime in late Jan.

• Care
I failed 4th time. Not at all a good test taker. Struggled with USMLE exams and PRITE all the time. Never failed an exam in life but this one is impacting my confidence. Failed with 9 points less. I did K&S (X3), BTB (X2) attended live lectures of BTB, did some PRITE ninja. I am working full time and also teaching in Med school (at least 10-12 lectures per year). Clinical rotation with me is the number one priority for all the students. The school sends me my annual report and I am topping every year consecutively for the 3 years for best clinical rotation. School offered me Clerkship Director position too. With all the name and fame, I feel more and more ashamed for not being able to pass the exam. I planned to take Sleep Medicine boards in 2024 but now, I have to prepare for this exam again and can not take the Sleep boards until I pass this.

Can we make a group (with those who failed this time) and start preparing again for next year? I would like to know where I am missing the logic and also would like to see other's point of view. I would like to restart my preparation, sometime in late Jan.
I am new to this forum, but have found much support from it. Thank you to all who have posted in this thread. It has been an incredible value to help preserve my sanity.

I have test anxiety. A lot. Failed steps one and step two, but passed the second round. Passed step 3.

I finished residency, a child fellowship, and a forensics fellowship. I have practiced in multiple settings and am currently in the C- Suite.

I have avoided the boards for 17 years. I finished adult training in 2006 and didn't take any tests. Why? I see no point. There was nothing suggesting I would be a better doc. Besides, I have really, really bad test anxiety. For what it is worth, no one can convince me this process improves patient outcomes.

Because of work, 17 years following adult training, it was time and necessary to take the boards. I passed the CSVs. (I was supposed to do oral boards, but procrastination...) It was actually fun, as I was able to do this with previous faculty. They were incredibly supportive. And, I passed these with ease. I know how to take care of people.

And then I studied. A lot. Board Vitals. K&S. Kauffman. Probably well over 200 and more hours in reading and questions. I figured they can only ask the same material in so many ways. I did mypsychboards, but hated the format. Regardless, I am old and have been excellent at procrastinating. But I took the time. Despite working 60 hours a week. Despite spending time with family. It was a commitment. Ended up scoring average, which made me happier than a clam.

I suck at tests. I don't remember Prites, but I didn't care. Don't think I did well. Doesn't matter.

For those who did not pass - you are not a bad psychiatrist! Find what works to study. Your value is not in this test! And, you will get there. Have Faith!!!!!! You are more than a silly number that doesn't matter to the people you treat or care about. I practiced for 17 years without this and have made a difference in peoples' lives. You will too... You already are!!!

To those that passed, congrats! I lost too much sleep on this. Next... child boards. Any tips are appreciated. Especially for an old guy like me.

Reach out. I am happy to support anyone that needs it. Even if to say "You can do it!" Because if I can pass, you can too!

Last edited:
I am new to this forum, but have found much support from it. Thank you to all who have posted in this thread. It has been an incredible value to help preserve my sanity.

I have test anxiety. A lot. Failed steps one and step two, but passed the second round. Passed step 3.

I finished residency, a child fellowship, and a forensics fellowship. I have practiced in multiple settings and am currently in the C- Suite.

I have avoided the boards for 17 years. I finished adult training in 2006 and didn't take any tests. Why? I see no point. There was nothing suggesting I would be a better doc. Besides, I have really, really bad test anxiety. For what it is worth, no one can convince me this process improves patient outcomes.

Because of work, 17 years following adult training, it was time and necessary to take the boards. I passed the CSVs. (I was supposed to do oral boards, but procrastination...) It was actually fun, as I was able to do this with previous faculty. They were incredibly supportive. And, I passed these with ease. I know how to take care of people.

And then I studied. A lot. Board Vitals. K&S. Kauffman. Probably well over 200 and more hours in reading and questions. I figured they can only ask the same material in so many ways. I did mypsychboards, but hated the format. Regardless, I am old and have been excellent at procrastinating. But I took the time. Despite working 60 hours a week. Despite spending time with family. It was a commitment. Ended up scoring average, which made me happier than a clam.

I suck at tests. I don't remember Prites, but I didn't care. Don't think I did well. Doesn't matter.

For those who did not pass - you are not a bad psychiatrist! Find what works to study. Your value is not in this test! And, you will get there. Have Faith!!!!!! You are more than a silly number that doesn't matter to the people you treat or care about. I practiced for 17 years without this and have made a difference in peoples' lives. You will too... You already are!!!

To those that passed, congrats! I lost too much sleep on this. Next... child boards. Any tips are appreciated. Especially for an old guy like me.

Reach out. I am happy to support anyone that needs it. Even if to say "You can do it!" Because if I can pass, you can too!
Congrats!
Which resource did you find closest to the real test?

Sorry to hear, that was me last year on 3rd attempt along with some collegues and just fed up...then I reviewed this forum: this time I focused on Spiegel, All of it, questions x 3 and explanations + videos x 2 and explanations & DSM 5TR (cover to cover, highlight and underline and know differences)..of course some BTB and other qbanks, which did nothing for me previous years and I was getting 75+% in them...I felt better this time with Spiegel + DSM 5TR! Of course check census from others that Passed! You Will PASS!! God Bless You!
Thank you so much. Will definitely try to follow that advice this year.

I am so sorry to hear this. I was 6 points shy on this third attempt and feel like I’m in the same boat as you.
Your worth as a Psychiatrist is not determined by this test. Please remember that.
I’d like to be a part of such a group if this comes to fruition

Very sorry to hear that! I know it's painful, I have had to repeat usmle steps, 1 (2nd attempt pass); 2ck (3rd attempt pass); 3 (2nd attempt pass) and as mentioned above this psychiatry board (4th attempt pass); Just like you I was trying to see where I was lacking and then saw some people post: *Know you DSM 5 or 5TR!! That hit me! So I went through the DSM 5TR Desk Reference, one chapter at at time, highlighting and underline main difference and knowing the different categories!! I seriously think these exams are written more by PhDs or something just focusing on pure textbook stuff! I am child and adolescent and adult psychiatrist and can assure you I do Not use stimulants as first line for anyone. Also I Never start MOAI's on anyone!! If pt transferred to me on MAOI and it's helping them of course I will continue it, but out of the 5000 to 10,000 patients I have seen with this job and residency and fellowship, I can't recall anyone on MAOI, maybe 1 or 2? So these board exams are just pure textbook...as Dr. Conrad Fischer mentioned from Step 2ck and 3 prep; do Not do what your Hospital guidelines do or your Best Attending does, you will get that question wrong...hope that helps...Wish you Pass next time you write! Yes Ninja prite question bank I went through that a few times as well...All the Best!

Excellent!! Well Said!! I agree with you 1000%!! Medicine is an Art and Science!! It is Not Engineering or NASA!! Same, no patient ever asked me where I did my training or what my board scores were!! As one doc/provider once told me: "Patients don't care how much you know, they want to know how much you care!"; This combined with what one of my best mentors, Attendings told me: This guy is pure genius, I mean it, 6 or 7 board certifications (Fam med, ER Med; Psychiatry; CAP, Geri Psych, Addictions Psychiatry), retired as colonel and runs marathons, triathlons, iron mans; but emphasizes Rules for Psychiatry or Medicine in general: 1.Safety for you and the patient; 2.Communication; 3.Do Good (if you can't do anything, at least smile for the patient); 4.Professionalism; 5.Teach; *Then I always remember First rule of Medicine: Do No Harm!! It is not to give meds!! I think we forget that sometimes; focus should be on therapy, skills coaches, sleep hygiene, meditation and mindfulness; motivational interviewing to decrease substance use; then safe meds...in that order...unless of course if pt risk to self or others or gravely disabled, then 911/ER must admit and need meds to stabilize...my 2.5 Canadian and American cents...