Forensic psychiatry boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atreides

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Two months out from the forensic psychiatry boards, any advice from those who've taken it about studying?

I've been pretty much relying exclusively on the review course from last year. Any other study aids or review books that I should utilize? Bit nervous since my fellowship had abysmal training and didactics so pretty much everything about forensic psychiatry I know is coming from the review course.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Two months out from the forensic psychiatry boards, any advice from those who've taken it about studying?

I've been pretty much relying exclusively on the review course from last year. Any other study aids or review books that I should utilize? Bit nervous since my fellowship had abysmal training and didactics so pretty much everything about forensic psychiatry I know is coming from the review course.
Abysmal training sounds pretty bad. Where is this program? How do they justify calling themselves a fellowship if you're doing it all yourself?

been a while since I did the forensic boards but I think the most useful thing is to review the landmark cases book. A large number of questions were based on principles of the landmark cases from what I recall. You don't have to know the ins and outs of the cases or even the names really but the key points of those cases are likely to be tested on the exams. I would also recommend the rosner and scott textbook (not to read in its entirety).
Thanks. That's the oxford one? Landmark Cases in Forensic Psychiatry

Abysmal training sounds pretty bad. Where is this program? How do they justify calling themselves a fellowship if you're doing it all yourself?

I'd rather not say but I'm sure those who are involved in the forensics world know which program it is. There were some major changes made late in the year that should improve things significantly for future fellows.

Members don't see this ad :)
Updating this since I know a lot of people googling Forensic Psychiatry Board studying end up on SDN.

I passed with a very comfortable margin. Overall, I felt it was a fair test. I walked out fairly certain that I'd passed without a problem. A handful of questions were out of left field but most questions were things I came across while studying. I definitely overstudied for this exam; I could've spent a quarter of the time studying and still passed without an issue.

Highest yield resources are the Landmark Case book mentioned in this thread along with the board review course. I actually though the board review course was lower yield than the Landmark Cases book. You could just stick to the Charles Scott lectures in the review course and be fine. I knew the landmark cases cold, made an Anki deck to help memorize them (happy to DM the deck to anyone who wants it). If you stuck with just those two resources, you'd have no problem passing with a comfortable margin.

The APA Forensic Psychiatry textbook is a good third resource to use if you want to read a textbook. I read it cover to cover and there were a handful of questions that I got right only because of that. I actually didn't find the Rosner and Scott textbook that helpful but to be fair, I only skimmed that because it was a lot more boring to read. I know there's an "Essential Board Review" book by Helen Farrell but the reviews on Amazon said it was basically just the review course notes that were condensed a bit so I didn't bother getting it.

Hope this helps future forensic psychiatry board takers.

Reactions: 1 users
Updating this since I know a lot of people googling Forensic Psychiatry Board studying end up on SDN.

I passed with a very comfortable margin. Overall, I felt it was a fair test. I walked out fairly certain that I'd passed without a problem. A handful of questions were out of left field but most questions were things I came across while studying. I definitely overstudied for this exam; I could've spent a quarter of the time studying and still passed without an issue.

Highest yield resources are the Landmark Case book mentioned in this thread along with the board review course. I actually though the board review course was lower yield than the Landmark Cases book. You could just stick to the Charles Scott lectures in the review course and be fine. I knew the landmark cases cold, made an Anki deck to help memorize them (happy to DM the deck to anyone who wants it). If you stuck with just those two resources, you'd have no problem passing with a comfortable margin.

The APA Forensic Psychiatry textbook is a good third resource to use if you want to read a textbook. I read it cover to cover and there were a handful of questions that I got right only because of that. I actually didn't find the Rosner and Scott textbook that helpful but to be fair, I only skimmed that because it was a lot more boring to read. I know there's an "Essential Board Review" book by Helen Farrell but the reviews on Amazon said it was basically just the review course notes that were condensed a bit so I didn't bother getting it.

Great post. My recommendation would be filling this out: https://abpn.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/Forensic_Psychiatry_CERT_Content_Specifications.pdf

Is it overboard? Yes. Did I pass higher than I have ever passed on other tests? Also yes. Lol.

Thank you for the information!

If you don't mind, I would appreciate you DM'ing me the anki deck. I am currently in fellowship!

Thank you for the information!

If you don't mind, I would appreciate you DM'ing me the anki deck. I am currently in fellowship!
Sure, DM me with your email, seems like I can't send anki files via DM.