Board Certification in Canada with American Residency + CAP Fast track

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

picklerickc137

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm a PGY-3 fast tracking to CAP this year. I really want to return to Canada. Has anyone had experience or know someone who went through the process? I know you have apply for an assessment from the royal college.
Here is an excerpt from their training requirements:

TERMS OF AGREEMENT WITH THE AMERICAN BOARD OF PSYCHIATRY AND NEUROLOGY
The American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN) and the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada have created an agreement that accepts the credentials of applicants to each other’s examinations. For an ABPN certificant to be eligible to sit the Royal College Psychiatry examination, the applicant must:
1. Have attained certification by the ABPN in Psychiatry;
2. Possess an unrestricted license to practice medicine in the United States or Canada;and
3. If trained in the United States, the applicant must have completed four (4) years in aPsychiatry program accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate MedicalEducation (ACGME) and one (1) year of specialty experience.

Just for Adult Psychiatry, they want 4 year residency + 1 year of fellowship/experience. Does anyone know if the CAP fast track (3 years of adult psychiatry + 2 years CAP) also meet that requirement?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed for jobs in both BC and Ontario and was assured that my 5-year fast track training was fine in both provinces. I had already completed both boards before I interviewed. BC was a much more complicated process- they checked my credentials and qualifications before I could interview and I was going to require supervision. In either province, I would have needed to complete the Royal College psychiatric exam eventually if I wanted to stay long-term.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the responses.

From what I have heard, it seems like the 5 year fast track should be fine. But when I email the royal college, the person keeps telling me I have to do an extra year of fellowship. Someone on Reddit said they did have to do an extra year of residency.

I guess I will just have to apply for an assessment and see what they say. Maybe the person responding to my email doesn’t know what they are talking about lol.