Board Certification in Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well this certainly stymied any discussion lol

Members don't see this ad.

Do people still use Kauffman for neuro? Or is that an antiquated board prep resource?
I think the consensus is that it is excellent for overall learning, but is overkill for the board prep. I think even Spiegel was overkill for the boards, though I think it was worthwhile to review. BTB also had good review videos and questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The board tests diff subjects and has a diff question styles. BTB was too easy, non related and lectures were super slow!
hi can you suggest tips on preparing for exam? waht did you think helped you pass finally?

This is my second attempt for the child psych boards. Last year I failed by 1 point. I was so dissapointed. There were SO many psychological test qeustions. Mind you I only saw one psychological test when I was in fellowship. Last year I used board vitals only. This year I'm still using board vitals but purchased beat the boards as well. Beat the boards is better than Board Vitals for the simple fact that they have VIDEO VIGNETTES something that board vitals does not have, which put me, I felt, at a huge dissadvantage. Last year I remeber it asking a lot about programs stuff that I did not have any exposure to nor any knowledge base about becaue I am not a social worker lol. I can't believe that the child-psych boards are not fully reflective of actual practice and relevant topics pertenant to be an excellent child psychiatrist.

What was your experience on the CAP board this year? Did you feel the exam was like CAP PRITE, random stuff?

Thanks a lot.

What was your experience on the CAP board this year? Did you feel the exam was like CAP PRITE, random stuff?

Thanks a lot.
This year I felt like the exam was a lot fairer. There were no random program questions and the video vignettes were clear. Biostats was at a minimum. I don’t really recall any neuro but one organophosphate poisoning question. I may have prepared a better this year because I dedicated a good two months (lost my job in August so had all the time to study). I got an average of 79 on board vitals and 78 on beat the boards and I watched all the videos. I also went through the child psych questions on Kenny and Spiegel a few days before. I felt OK coming out and I have this feeling that I passed but then have doubts. I was kind of on autopilot. I did review the prite over the last two years I wouldn’t say it’s fully representative I actually thought that beat the boards was more representative. But I would recommend going over the child prites fully and understand the concepts as that will translate. But alas we wait and see!

This year I felt like the exam was a lot fairer. There were no random program questions and the video vignettes were clear. Biostats was at a minimum. I don’t really recall any neuro but one organophosphate poisoning question. I may have prepared a better this year because I dedicated a good two months (lost my job in August so had all the time to study). I got an average of 79 on board vitals and 78 on beat the boards and I watched all the videos. I also went through the child psych questions on Kenny and Spiegel a few days before. I felt OK coming out and I have this feeling that I passed but then have doubts. I was kind of on autopilot. I did review the prite over the last two years I wouldn’t say it’s fully representative I actually thought that beat the boards was more representative. But I would recommend going over the child prites fully and understand the concepts as that will translate. But alas we wait and see!
Thanks a lot! Do you recommend buying Psych Genius and child BTB qbank.

When are scores normally released? Last week of November, first week of December?

I used Kenny and Spiegel's Psychiatry Test Preparation and Review Manual 4th Edition along with the Psychiatry Genius Question bank for my test preparation. I began studying in March during my PGY4 year and continued studying until the test date. It was challenging to study while working as an attending, but the test itself was quite fair. I would like to mention that it may have some ethnocentric elements, and if English is not your native language, you may encounter some difficulties with the vignettes. I have taken both USMLE Step 1 and 2 (I'm a DO), and I found this exam to be significantly easier than either of those exams.

Who else felt like they got a jumpscare with that ABPN email talking about score release dates? I also still refuse to accept their explanation of why scores take so long . . .

Reactions: 4 users
Well it’s officially been around 8 weeks since the exam happened so I guess scores can come out any day now..

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Waiting for results, which were released on 11/30 in the two years prior. Currently on the ABPN portal under examinations status, mine shows "Delivered (Allow at least 12 weeks for scoring)"; Exam history: blank; Certifications: not certified. Someone who ended up passing in 2021 had similar status earlier in the day on 11/30/2021 and then apparently the results are gradually released later in the day that year. I haven't checked the portal since the exam so not sure if it has always been like this and the exam history has always been blank. Anyhow. Feeling anxious. I felt pretty good after the exam but not anymore...

Eek also feeling anxious. Was not in a great place prior to and during exam and definitely don't feel like I prepared anywhere near my best effort. :confused: I have the same data in those fields right now too. Fingers crossed and good luck everyone!

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have results right now either. Maybe someone who took it in the last few years can clarify, but I'd imagine we'd get an e-mail saying our results are in?

I don't have results right now either. Maybe someone who took it in the last few years can clarify, but I'd imagine we'd get an e-mail saying our results are in?
I took the General Psych boards last year and I do recall getting an email the morning of 11/30 that said the results are in. I don't know when (on what date) the results were released the year before last. However, even though last year we got results on 11/30, the 2 board exam dates one could choose from were 9/12 and 9/13. This year, the exam dates were 1 week later (9/19 and 9/20), so technically getting scores today would be a week earlier than last year.

Reactions: 2 users
I took the General Psych boards last year and I do recall getting an email the morning of 11/30 that said the results are in. I don't know when (on what date) the results were released the year before last. However, even though last year we got results on 11/30, the 2 board exam dates one could choose from were 9/12 and 9/13. This year, the exam dates were 1 week later (9/19 and 9/20), so technically getting scores today would be a week earlier than last year.
Good point. I also believe that they usually release the scores on Wednesdays? But I’m not sure..

Waiting for results, which were released on 11/30 in the two years prior. Currently on the ABPN portal under examinations status, mine shows "Delivered (Allow at least 12 weeks for scoring)"; Exam history: blank; Certifications: not certified. Someone who ended up passing in 2021 had similar status earlier in the day on 11/30/2021 and then apparently the results are gradually released later in the day that year. I haven't checked the portal since the exam so not sure if it has always been like this and the exam history has always been blank. Anyhow. Feeling anxious. I felt pretty good after the exam but not anymore...
Mine says “no examination history” 🤔

My last week:
I wonder if the results are in <click>

Yeah you get an email. The email just says "you have new results" so nobody should get freaked out by that, it doesn't say if you passed or not.
I also think it's going to be delayed by a week because the test was a week later so probably next week (got results Dec 1 in 2021).

Yeah as others have said we took the text 1 week later, so results will probably be next Wednesday. (Are they always released on a Wednesday?)

Insanely anxious that I failed but what’s done is done at this point. I just wish the results didn’t take this long. It’s agonizing.

I've learned not to care about these exams. They sent that email, and it entered my consciousness again, LOL. 10-12 weeks is ridiculous for a computer-based test.

Here's to hoping we all passed! Good luck!

The portal seems to be giving me more errors and not loading properly. Results might be tomorrow.

The portal seems to be giving me more errors and not loading properly. Results might be tomorrow.
I just came here to post the same thing!!! Ahhh!!!!

Edit: Does it still load "not certified" part for you guys?

Edit #2: Looks like it works for me again. After all these years, numerous exams later, I still freak myself out by "reading into things" on these websites/portals.

I just came here to post the same thing!!! Ahhh!!!!

Edit: Does it still load "not certified" part for you guys?

Edit #2: Looks like it works for me again. After all these years, numerous exams later, I still freak myself out by "reading into things" on these websites/portals.
so yours says "not certified" too?

I took the CAP exam this year and mine doesn’t say “not certified” or anything. I just has my adult status and then says “delivered” for my CAP results

I took the CAP exam this year and mine doesn’t say “not certified” or anything. I just has my adult status and then says “delivered” for my CAP results
Yeah mine says delivered as well. For adult.

Also if anyone is curious, per posts here on SDN here are the rough times scores came out the last 3-4 years. All times PST

2019 - 12:45-1am on a Wednesday
2020 - 12:45-1am on a Wednesday
2021 - 4pm on a Wednesday
2022 - Around 5:30-5:45am on a Wednesday

It appears to be inconsistent the past few years. Also one of those years, maybe 2019, they got sent an email saying that scores were coming the next day, idk if they do that anymore though.

Also people have said that in past years, the verifyCERT run by the ABPN usually updates an hour or so before the actual results come out.
ABPN - verifyCERT® Unsure how true that is.

Last edited:
Yeah mine says delivered as well. For adult.

Also if anyone is curious, per posts here on SDN here are the rough times scores came out the last 3-4 years. All times PST

2019 - 12:45-1am on a Wednesday
2020 - 12:45-1am on a Wednesday
2021 - 4pm on a Wednesday
2022 - Around 5:30-5:45am on a Wednesday

It appears to be inconsistent the past few years. Also one of those years, maybe 2019, they got sent an email saying that scores were coming the next day, idk if they do that anymore though.

Also people have said that in past years, the verifyCERT run by the ABPN usually updates an hour or so before the actual results come out.
ABPN - verifyCERT® Unsure how true that is.
This is great, thank you!
The scores are probably coming out soon…

My anxiety is through the roof. Tomorrow can't come fast enough 😫

Reactions: 5 users
If they don't get released tomorrow I'm gonna be upset lol

Anyone notice the spelling error in the verify cert results

"New diplomates will not appear until examintion grades"

I guess that examination will allow us to "mention" that we are certified. I wonder if it is a Freudian slip!

Well, this is upsetting and stressful lol.... another week? oh God.

• Wow
There’s no reason it should take 11-12 weeks wtf.

Reactions: 5 users
Well, this is upsetting and stressful lol.... another week? oh God.
Why do you think it will take another week? It may come out either on another day of the week or late tonight according to the history of the last 4 years.

Why do you think it will take another week? It may come out either on another day of the week or late tonight according to the history of the last 4 years.
I guess you're right. Based on the history it seems like the scores only come out on Wednesdays, and technically 2021 was 4pm or so? So I guess we still have all day lol.

There's a part of me that thinks when ABPN sent that email about "no later than 12/14" they meant Wednesday 12/13 LOL.

I think if it holds to the Wednesday rule it has to come out next week lol. Or maybe it’ll be a random day!

I guess you're right. Based on the history it seems like the scores only come out on Wednesdays, and technically 2021 was 4pm or so? So I guess we still have all day lol.

There's a part of me that thinks when ABPN sent that email about "no later than 12/14" they meant Wednesday 12/13 LOL.
It seems like when ABPN sends out the email saying by a certain date, the result usually comes the Wednesday a week prior to that date.
In 2021 they said no later than 12/8, and the result came on 12/1.
In 2022, they said no later than 12/7, but the result came on Wednesday 11/30.
So really until end of day is fair game in my opinion.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Though I guess the last few years they usually received an email in the morning saying results were out no? Anyway I’m tired of this guessing game. They’ll come out eventually 🫠

"After each examination, the test committee thoroughly reviews each examination item as well as candidate comments and survey responses. Based on the committee review, items may be removed before scoring. The volume of items, comments, and survey responses affect the time needed for the committee to complete its review. Please use this link to our website for more information: ABPN Examination Development and Scoring Information ."

Looks like it's our fault for leaving so many comments on the after-test survey :rofl:

This whole thing is such a racket

Reactions: 7 users
VerifyCert just giving 404 errors at this point. Searching just doesn't work currently.

The portal is also pretty laggy for me right now.

I had the same lag and errors on both pages earlier. I keep hitting refresh so I’m sure I caused those glitches. 🤦🏾‍♀️

Last edited:
Still nothing, this feeling is torturous :(

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users
I can now apply for some sub specialty boards for some reason.