Board Certification in Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Scores are up!

By the grace of God I passed and I hope you all did too. Good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
YOu right, this exam supposed to be the "jewels on the crown" the icing on the cake, after all these many years nearly 20 for me, being a FMG and having to do a second set of residency and USMLE etc. Need to breathe a sigh of relief and have an exam free life, hope it happens this year for me, ive given my all!! good luck. lets stay hopeful.
I passed!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Passed!

For those looking at this post in the future: PsychiatryGenius was all I did and all I needed. Completed all the vignettes and only 7% of the standalone qbank. Good luck to you!

I passed after 4 attempts, lots of dissapointment shame tears sighs!!!!!! I thank God for resilience. This exam is not easy i must say. Good luck to you all.

Failed again. Don't know what else I can do? This is the lowest moment of my life. Never failed exams in life. This one killed all my confidence. I went to Beat The boards live lectures, completed the whole q bank, completed K&S, gone through 50% of Board Vitals. I can confidently talk about any topic in our field, teaching medical students on daily basis, refreshing my knowledge everyday...I am not sure how can pool up my energy again and give it a try again... exhausted

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
After 5 attempts I finally passed it. Got 111 points higher after going through board vitals and beat the boards multiple times over! I also got certified by the NBPAS while I was at it so I can collect all the boards like Pokémon lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
After 5 attempts I finally passed it. Got 101 points higher after going through board vitals and beat the boards multiple times over! I also got certified by the NBPAS while I was at it so I can collect all the boards like Pokémon lol.
congratulations!

wtf I thought this exam was supposed to be easy to pass?!?!

Last edited:
Failed again. Don't know what else I can do? This is the lowest moment of my life. Never failed exams in life. This one killed all my confidence. I went to Beat The boards live lectures, completed the whole q bank, completed K&S, gone through 50% of Board Vitals. I can confidently talk about any topic in our field, teaching medical students on daily basis, refreshing my knowledge everyday...I am not sure how can pool up my energy again and give it a try again... exhausted
dont give up my dear, I was in ur spot 3 times already, i know the feeling, i cried and christmas last 3 yrs were never the same. i became a recluse and an unhappy man. But alas my time came to PASS. sleep over it and gather strength for 2023 dont give up, dont delay it, only 2 yrs for DSM5 teminology to change. Exam is getting harder. i will update on how i did it later. Long may be the tilling and the toiling late, but the fruit will ripen if you toil and WAIT!

Members don't see this ad :)
Passed! Sooo happy to get done with this! Did Mypsychboard and Spiegel. I felt the exam was challenging, but resources helped me feel well-prepared. Moving on to study for child board!

Reactions: 3 users
Can't believe how long I've been here. 9 years on SDN with a 10th on the way and I've gone from a trolling and troublesome premed to a respectable and helpful board certified psychiatrist. Congratulations to everyone that passed, and to those that did not, don't lose hope. many have been in your position before and pulled through. Learning from what they did correctly on their subsequent attempts can be a helpful guide.

I was a first-time test taker from a community program. Used Beat the Boards, went through the entire QBank and watched all of the lectures. Took notes on everything, and made sure I understood both the correct answers to every question and why the incorrect ones were incorrect. Went back for a second pass of all of my incorrect questions, and then proceeded to do my incorrects over and over again until I had a score on the bank of 100%. This is the same strategy I used with UWorld and COMBANK for my prior boards for medical licensure. Ended up with a score >350. My strategy is likely effective for someone who has a pre-existing knack for standardized testing and a decent but not exceptional foundation of the material more so than someone with core foundational knowledge weaknesses or who struggles with standardized testing but has a strong knowledge base.

Reactions: 5 users
Passed, first attempt.

Studied using K&S and also Beat the Boards. I did all the K&S questions twice and went through the BtB lectures/QBank once.
I made my own Anki set (I have used Anki since MS1) and used that to review the material. I spent about 5-6 weeks studying, with 3 or so weeks off.

The exam didn't seem to cover any of the material I had studied, lots of focus on questions that didn't show up in K&S or BtB, real esoteric material. I finished two hours early mainly because I either knew the question or took an educated guess at it. I was fairly sure I had failed, but I did above average. Congratulations all.

Studied hard, failed, I am not sure what my problem is. I feel as if I have a solid knowledge of things, on the exam guessed on stuff that was not covered on my qbank. did a few qbanks but still falling short. Not sure If i want to take it again, taking a toll on my emotionally.

• Care
used spiegel, beat the boards, did questions at the back of the kaufmann book, some rosh review. repeated qbank several times. I just dont get it at this point, I felt confident with the cases , but I guess not because of my results. this is an awful feeling!

Passed! Lots of K&S and Beat the boards served me well.

Now though the adult boards, wondering what resources people used for CAP?

Can't believe how long I've been here. 9 years on SDN with a 10th on the way and I've gone from a trolling and troublesome premed to a respectable and helpful board certified psychiatrist. Congratulations to everyone that passed, and to those that did not, don't lose hope. many have been in your position before and pulled through. Learning from what they did correctly on their subsequent attempts can be a helpful guide.

I was a first-time test taker from a community program. Used Beat the Boards, went through the entire QBank and watched all of the lectures. Took notes on everything, and made sure I understood both the correct answers to every question and why the incorrect ones were incorrect. Went back for a second pass of all of my incorrect questions, and then proceeded to do my incorrects over and over again until I had a score on the bank of 100%. This is the same strategy I used with UWorld and COMBANK for my prior boards for medical licensure. Ended up with a score >350. My strategy is likely effective for someone who has a pre-existing knack for standardized testing and a decent but not exceptional foundation of the material more so than someone with core foundational knowledge weaknesses or who struggles with standardized testing but has a strong knowledge base.
It's been a road. Very relieved. Also did BTB for weak topics and some practice questions but mostly Kenny&Spiegel for questions.

Now we just have to deal with continuing education/certification stuff...

I still might go for a third board cert in 2024/2025 practice pathway hours permitting, but right now I'm just gonna relax a bit.

Passed, and found out my results while at Disney world with my kid and family ❤️

It's been a road. Very relieved. Also did BTB for weak topics and some practice questions but mostly Kenny&Spiegel for questions.

Now we just have to deal with continuing education/certification stuff...

I still might go for a third board cert in 2024/2025 practice pathway hours permitting, but right now I'm just gonna relax a bit.
Do you know how having multiple ABPN boards affects CE stuff? I'm hoping it doesn't cause duplication of requirements because that just sounds like a pain in the ass...

Can anyone please advise on what material/resources to use for CAP boards?

I passed. If I didn't know anything and had to do it all over this is what I would do:

1. Ninja Prite question book. This was high yield. A lot of material from previous prites appeared on exams. I would honestly find the most recent Anki deck or make my own and do like 25 questions per day. I think there's like 3000 discrete facts. Doing 25 new facts per day via Anki will take approximately 120 days or four months to learn. I would start this probably in like January. You'll be learning a lot.

2. Spiegal. There were a few questions I feel like were directly from Spiegal. This was also high yield, but not as much as prior PRITEs. Also the answers and explanations are just fantastic. Definitely some of the best out there.

3. BoardVitals. Third highest yield. Concepts were definitely tested from this question bank.

I think for vignettes:

BoardVitals was the highest yield.

Now I did buy BeattheBoards because I thought it was good. Unfortunatley, I think BeatTheBoards is totally useless. I would not recommend it again knowing what I know now. The questions are low quality and not representative of the examination whatsoever. The lectures are ok, but honestly not even really that good either. I would not recommend this.

Passed, slightly above average. I did Spiegel and beat the boards.
I think I found some reasons why a prudent psychiatrist could failed the board.

1. Not knowing details of DSM5 diagnosis criteria and specifier.
2. Neuroanatomy (Knowing enlarged lateral ventricle for Schzio is not good enough, Must know for MDD, PTSD and etc)

I passed. If I didn't know anything and had to do it all over this is what I would do:

1. Ninja Prite question book. This was high yield. A lot of material from previous prites appeared on exams. I would honestly find the most recent Anki deck or make my own and do like 25 questions per day. I think there's like 3000 discrete facts. Doing 25 new facts per day via Anki will take approximately 120 days or four months to learn. I would start this probably in like January. You'll be learning a lot.

2. Spiegal. There were a few questions I feel like were directly from Spiegal. This was also high yield, but not as much as prior PRITEs. Also the answers and explanations are just fantastic. Definitely some of the best out there.

3. BoardVitals. Third highest yield. Concepts were definitely tested from this question bank.

I think for vignettes:

Now I did buy BeattheBoards because I thought it was good. Unfortunatley, I think BeatTheBoards is totally useless. I would not recommend it again knowing what I know now. The questions are low quality and not representative of the examination whatsoever. The lectures are ok, but honestly not even really that good either. I would not recommend this.
Agree that BTB is over rated.
One can easily pass with doing Spiegel and Mypsychboard only if they have good knowledge base.

I think for vignettes:

im happy for you, read ur previous posts, I m ade it too.

Do you know how having multiple ABPN boards affects CE stuff? I'm hoping it doesn't cause duplication of requirements because that just sounds like a pain in the ass...
My understanding is that they have separate CE requirements, but there may be some overlap. For example, people who do CAP seem to have two sets of CE articles.

• Wow
Hi guys! well let me tell you my story.
Passed with a GOOD margin after 3 previous tries:
I made 3 earlier attempts, in 2021 i made 238!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! imagine
Between my 2nd and 3rd attempts i signed up for PSYCHGENIUS.
Now im not endorsing them cause they are not user friendly and not detailed answers and some very long answers u could easily look at in the textbook.. HOWEVER they covered a wide range of topics, answers straight forward u know it or u dont. not much explanations.
Prior attempts was BTB, K/S, FOCUS, BVitals and beleive me I started doing this while still in residency in 20016/ 2017.I must have covered them seeevvvvvveeeeerrrrrraaaaaallllll times. Knowing standard tests are challenging for me I started early, or so i thought. (step 1 i went x3, step 2 x2 step 3 x2 CSA x2, i did get decent scores 80..82..82...tool me 3 yrs to finally get a residency I did 2 residencies IM and psych.
Psych has always been my passion and focus and glad i got it, did addiction f/ship
Mistakes I made:
Right from residency i was told its an easy exam... guys it is not!! If u trained in an academic program where didactics was stressed u are better off. if u trained in community program like I did, you have to teach urself!!So i started reading around New yr and took exam in Sept i failed 1st try, and i was not studying regularly still in residency i was a chief Res. so had to go in to cover etc i took kauffman course in JUly and read seriously for 2 mnths but failed 219.
I have crept up and when i did P genius i made the greatest jump to passing 301.
In addition so many personal problems including death in the family etc.. I work part time just to have 2 week days to add to weekend
SO dont take it lightly guys. If you gonna go SEPT 2023 i will say start straight after the holidays, enjoy the holidays and as new yr make a serious plan.
Know DSM5 well
remember DSM5 TR starts in 25 so now u know dsm5 just do all u can to get it done!
Dont go crazy with specifiers they dont go that deep study the DSM parrallel compare one disorder from the other in the same topic eg MDD PDD etc
sorry for long post but want to hammer these points in. hope someone benefits and good luck. It is doable but you have to put in the work and time. know ur DSM....know ur DSM....know ur DSM its all about the DSM5
Remember ...its all about the DSM5 buy the small one and put in ur pocket. CRAM IT!!! I will be chking in if any qs.
Was prite genius a difference maker? Their q bank?

Passed with above average marks. Finished the qbank on beattheboards twice. Congrats to all who passed and best of luck next time to others; it ain’t over until it’s over and if you made it this far, chances are it is far from over

Reactions: 4 users
Was prite genius a difference maker? Their q bank?
psychgenius. yes for me it was, made a jump 34 points and 60 points after I had exhausted BTB, BV,K/s, focus etc. the vignettes in P Genius are great but overkill imo.. but the MCQs are great. I used the PRITE and BOARD Q banks, studied both for 6 months

Studied hard, failed, I am not sure what my problem is. I feel as if I have a solid knowledge of things, on the exam guessed on stuff that was not covered on my qbank. did a few qbanks but still falling short. Not sure If i want to take it again, taking a toll on my emotionally.
I know a couple of people from my class who did not pass last year but passed this year. Do more MCQ and go over the DSM5. I found BTB useless and lectures too slow. Spiegel, Kaufman course, and Mypsychboard are good resources that help many people ace the test!

After 5 attempts I finally passed it. Got 111 points higher after going through board vitals and beat the boards multiple times over! I also got certified by the NBPAS while I was at it so I can collect all the boards like Pokémon lol.
happy for u i read ur post from last yr and glad u made it. for some of us this was a nightmare, glad its over!

Passed with a 372. For those who are asking what to study, my only resource was BTB. I did about 75% of BTB qbank, averaging about 80% on the questions and listened to probably 75% of the video lectures while on the treadmill.

Congrats to everyone here!

I passed with a 384. I did 1.5 passes of Kenny & Spiegel but that's basically all I used. It's weird how the percentile I got on the boards is the exact same percentile I got on my PRITEs for the last couple years, even though there's supposedly only a weak correlation.

End of an era. Passed my child boards.

Used BTBx3

Really was busying getting my feet wet with my new job, and moving to a different state. Scored 1.7 sd above the passing score.
Definitely would memorize psychological tests, and development.

Double Board Certified. Not sure it really means anything at a FQHC but its done.

Used BTBx3

Really was busying getting my feet wet with my new job, and moving to a different state. Scored 1.7 sd above the passing score.

Double Board Certified. Not sure it really means anything at a FQHC but its done.
Congratulations!!!

Used BTBx3

I am starting my journey to study for child boards. Did you find child prite helpful?

Hello All and a Happy Holidays to you all. I am looking to organize individual study one on one once a week for 6 months, while I have the time to help others. I am a good test taker but had three attempts at this boards. I passed well on my fourth! It is not an easy exam, so many factors involved. Let me know if you would like some coaching. Let me know at [email protected].

Good to know. I used them in the general board as well it was very helpful. Does the child board have vidoe vignettes as the general board?
Yes. They do! Can somebody explain the benefit of being double board certified?

Is there minimum percent that people recommend getting on BTBs to safely pass the boards?

I think for vignettes:

Do you have a recommendation or a link for the Anki deck?

Our program provides BtB but the videos are a bit underwhelming, maybe more of a necessity in my weak areas than anything else. Seems that you found the BV Qbank more helpful?

Is there minimum percent that people recommend getting on BTBs to safely pass the board
You need to get at least 70 percent on BTB to show good knowledge, but I found their questions not representing the actual test.