Board Certification in Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am starting my board prep for 2022 September but kind of freaking out, talking to colleagues who have been studying for a year!!!
I was planning to only go through spiegel but now having second thoughts because BTB or boardvitals seem like a rule rather than exception among first time takers. In prite exams, I have never been under 95th percentile throughout my residency and tend to be good in standardized exams but again It is hard to know I guess...
I heard that Spiegel is gold. Our previous residency class said that BTB is kinda over rated. I am using Mypsych board and thinking to do old prites.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I am starting my board prep for 2022 September but kind of freaking out, talking to colleagues who have been studying for a year!!!
I was planning to only go through spiegel but now having second thoughts because BTB or boardvitals seem like a rule rather than exception among first time takers. In prite exams, I have never been under 95th percentile throughout my residency and tend to be good in standardized exams but again It is hard to know I guess...
Yes, there are a lot of exceptionally neurotic psychiatrists. If you were 95th percentile on PRITE vs national sample then you do not need to study. Just run through K+S to make yourself feel better.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah, if you're freaking out, I'm not sure how I should feel. I'm just starting now, and I was nowhere near 95th percentile for the PRITE. I imagine you'll be fine with Kenny and Spiegel.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went only through mypsychboard and spiegel and scored above 90th percentile although never did that high throughout my residency.

How can you tell if you're on the right track? I'm scoring 68% in BtB (only 8% of the way through), doing BtB lectures. I'm also doing Spiegal. Should I get another test? Spiegal is hard but the explanations are helpful

How can you tell if you're on the right track? I'm scoring 68% in BtB (only 8% of the way through), doing BtB lectures. I'm also doing Spiegal. Should I get another test? Spiegal is hard but the explanations are helpful
Spiegel is good but according to most recent test takers doesn’t cover the board as before.

Reactions: 1 user
If you complete a section before the time for that section runs out, does that extra time get added to your break time? I seem to remember that being the case on USMLE but cant find anything about this for Psych Boards. Thank you!

If you complete a section before the time for that section runs out, does that extra time get added to your break time? I seem to remember that being the case on USMLE but cant find anything about this for Psych Boards. Thank you!
I remember reading somewhere or being told by one of our seniors that you can use break time for the test.

Hello all. It’s been a while since I have posted on SDN. Now I am studying for the ABPN boards come September and was wondering if just BTB and spiegal was enough to hopefully pass this damn thing.
Any word on the average percentage for the various qbanks - boardvitals, btb? Trying to decide if I have a chance at passing this thing.

Any word on the average percentage for the various qbanks - boardvitals, btb?

Yeah, if you're freaking out, I'm not sure how I should feel. I'm just starting now, and I was nowhere near 95th percentile for the PRITE. I imagine you'll be fine with Kenny and Spiegel.

As someone who tutored two people who failed boards from my residency, take this for what it's worth but I think the majority of people who fail this exam don't know the basics. The exam is not hard. What trips people up is diagnostic criteria and things they may not have seen. Every psychiatry resident (hopefully) knows first line and second line and third line treatments for depression. Where people tend to have trouble is the more academic questions like distinguishing between the different types of depression, how many criteria is needed to make the diagnosis, what the difference is treatment is and why. This is all stuff from the DSM. Know it. Well. Like the back of your hand. There are going to be ridiculous questions like how many ADHD criteria do you need if the patient is being diagnosed over the age of 17. Or that you shouldn't make the diagnosis of DMDD before age 6 or after age 18. Or that DMDD symptoms have to be present for at least 12 months and if the patient went 3 mths in a row without all the symptoms, they don't meet criteria. All these nuances may be of little utility in real life, but it can be the difference between a pass and a fail if you miss enough of them. The other thing is epidemiology. How many people have schizophrenia? Is it male or female predominant? All these are in the DSM as well.

There are other reasons people fail but this is a major one. When I first started tutoring, I didn't realize that people get through residency without knowing the DSM. I learned the DSM first thing, before I ever picked up a peer review article. But I realized really fast that the ones who failed didn't know these little annoying things that won't make them a bad psychiatrist but will make them fail the exam.

LEARN THE DSM FIRST! All the other study materials are secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
The best question bank I've seen is from my old PRITE exams. They used questions from PRITE exams I took over 20 years ago on the general and child sections. I read those, studies psychopharm and newest DSM changes to recertify.

The best question bank I've seen is from my old PRITE exams. They used questions from PRITE exams I took over 20 years ago on the general and child sections. I read those, studies psychopharm and newest DSM changes to recertify.
Was the recertification easier than the initial test?

Any one doing video vignettes on Mypsychboard? I am looking for a study partner to do some quick review before the board exam

Took the exam on Monday and pretty sure I failed. I used Spiegal and BV. I'm not sure what I would do differently next time. I found Spiegal to have been quite helpful and some questions I recognized on the exam but my biggest issue was recognizing a concept, doubting myself, and putting the wrong answer. I feel at a complete loss.

Edit: I realize I said BtB but meant Board Vitals

Last edited:
Took the exam on Monday and pretty sure I failed. I used Spiegal and BV. I'm not sure what I would do differently next time. I found Spiegal to have been quite helpful and some questions I recognized on the exam but my biggest issue was recognizing a concept, doubting myself, and putting the wrong answer. I feel at a complete loss.
That’s normal feeling. I felt the same after my test

Reactions: 5 users
That’s normal feeling. I felt the same after my test

Hard to describe this pitting feeling in my stomach. I recognized questions but didn't trust myself. I am already trying to plan for next year, but I legitimately don't know what I should or will do different. Ugh.

Hard to describe this pitting feeling in my stomach. I recognized questions but didn't trust myself. I am already trying to plan for next year, but I legitimately don't know what I should or will do different. Ugh.
I was told to expect that feeling. The test has been getting harder. I believe the questions were mostly fair but the test is long and exhausting.

I don’t have any pride left anymore due to many reasons but one of them is this test. I am man enough to admit that I have failed the ABPN 4 times and this is my 5th attempt. You won’t feel super confident because the material is so broad I believe and clinically you may not see child cases or lots of neuro that is tested on the exam. There is also a lot of psychology and therapy questions that medical school doesn’t prepare you for and if you are like me refer therapy to therapists and psychologists. This is however the most I have studied for any exam probably since step 2 in med school. I did about 3000 questions and reviewed beat the boards many times over on my 45 min commutes. After this recent test I took yesterday I feel like while some questions were out of left field most questions I had a pretty good idea of the right answer or at least narrowed it down to two. Take solace in the fact that about 90 percent of test takers pass the first time so odds are in your favor for passing. Just to air it out there for my DO colleagues I took the AOBNP boards and passed about a year or so ago and found it MUCH easier of an exam. In fact anecdotally I have yet to meet a DO who has failed the AOBNP but I know there isn’t that many of us. My family has asked me why even bother with ABPN when insurance companies and the state of Florida both recognize the AOBNP. I want to show my patients that I have passed all available boards to prove that I am competent I suppose. Maybe I am still prideful. Regardless my fellow ABPN test takers. Don’t despair. Most of us passed and you won’t feel great about it. The average is 300 and passing is 239 last I checked last year. Hang in there for the long wait on that fateful day in December when we get our results back.

I feel the same way- took it Tuesday and have been catastrophizing ever since. In my mind I’ve already failed and need to start studying again lol I can’t believe they make us wait 12 weeks….🥴

I feel the same way- took it Tuesday and have been catastrophizing ever since. In my mind I’ve already failed and need to start studying again lol I can’t believe they make us wait 12 weeks….🥴

Same. I feel the same way. I actually felt really down during the exam too lol. Studied so hard and for what? Hopefully we all passed but I can't help but try to strategize for next time

I don't feel great but I think everybody feels that way

Same. I feel the same way. I actually felt really down during the exam too lol. Studied so hard and for what? Hopefully we all passed but I can't help but try to strategize for next time
Don't worry about it for now, you either passed or you didn't. Enjoy the next few weeks and assume the former, since you wouldn't be studying for the next few months either way

I was reading old posts in this thread and it seems like a ton of questions are thrown out and then they score us…? In like 2019 someone was like “passing was 239” that’s like a 58%? Can someone explain this please lol

Damn, that sucked. I feel similarly. Questions seemed mostly fair, but like I was constantly second guessing.

I hate the 10-12 wk wait. I'm currently compiling a list of excuses to non-chalantly slip to family and coworkers during this time in case I failed so they don't think I'm stupid. Here's what I have so far: didn't sleep well, person next to my station had their headphones super loud and was constantly hearing random stuff from their other exam even with ear plugs in, and I didn't finish nearly as many questions as I was planning to during studying (life, family, unexpected issues). Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
My exam didn't go well either. I felt that 1/3rd questions were straightforward, for other 1/3rd questions I was second guessing, and for the rest of 1/3rd I felt like crying as I found them so difficult. I did BTB Q-bank once (was able to revise only q/s from depression, anxiety, psychosis, and substance use d/o). Also did Spiegel twice. I am 101% positive that I am going to fail. This 10-12 week wait period is tough.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Unlike step exams, failing boards does not really affect your future. Of those I know who did not pass, they really fall into 2 categories: those who did not study and those who consistently had academic problems in residency. The pass rate has been going up every year since 2018, over 90% last year. Chances are the vast majority of you passed. I scratched my head on a lot of the questions and did not feel good after the exam but passed by a wide margin. Try to relax and expect good news in December.

Reactions: 4 users
Unlike step exams, failing boards does not really affect your future. Of those I know who did not pass, they really fall into 2 categories: those who did not study and those who consistently had academic problems in residency. The pass rate has been going up every year since 2018, over 90% last year. Chances are the vast majority of you passed. I scratched my head on a lot of the questions and did not feel good after the exam but passed by a wide margin. Try to relax and expect good news in December.
Thank you for supportive words!

Hopefully you all pass! Scoring 70-80 percent in Q banks is usually a good sign

Reactions: 2 users
I heard that Spiegel is gold. Our previous residency class said that BTB is kinda over rated. I am using Mypsych board and thinking to do old prites.
Yes, I did not buy BTB because of its price and it worked for me for both general and child boards.

Hey, i know the difficulty waiting for the result, but be hopeful. I also made few attempts already, im studying hard failed by 1 point last yr got 238, hope i crossed this time. Stay hopeful. In about 2 weeks all will be well.

What is the passing score? Is it on a curve ?

I think there were like 420 questions on the exam, so does that mean we need 239 to pass?

yes came Dec 2nd 2021 never forgot my shock to see 238!!! devastated
I was in the same place last year and fingers crossed for this year. This is so scary. Never failed an exam in life and this monster is killing confidence.

I was in the same place last year and fingers crossed for this year. This is so scary. Never failed an exam in life and this monster is killing confidence.
YOu right, this exam supposed to be the "jewels on the crown" the icing on the cake, after all these many years nearly 20 for me, being a FMG and having to do a second set of residency and USMLE etc. Need to breathe a sigh of relief and have an exam free life, hope it happens this year for me, ive given my all!! good luck. lets stay hopeful.