Biden Selects NP for Acting Surgeon General...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree that people are free to say whatever they want. And it what they say is awful, people are free to not associate with them, either as individuals or organizations. Freedom is not just about being able to do something, it is also about the freedom of others to not engage with beliefs they disagree with. The freedom of association, for instance, prevents the government from interfering in individuals associating with one another, however it also allows people the freedom to not be forced to associate with organizations to which they do not agree.

The freedom to do detestable or stupid things or to associate with detestable or stupid people does not mean freedom from the consequences of your associations or actions. The court of public opinion is the arbiter of the things that the government is not, and that court is free to judge as it pleases by the very Bill of Rights that those falling afoul of opinion cling to.
this are restrictions to the First Amendment. there always have been.

in the case of the Capitol, the gathering initially was peaceful. however, the words of the speakers, from guilani to trump jr to trump himself all incited the crowd to violence, and it changed from a peaceful gathering to one that was not.

i know its hard for you to admit, but it was not peaceful when they started marching to the Capitol and then broke in.

and

I in no way support the craziness at the capitol. Free speech is free speech. No one gets a free pass on their actions.
As I mentioned about, I disagree with censorship of anyone's opinion, though I agree that free speech does not extend to inciting physical violence.

Members don't see this ad.

Bedrock, on average, how many times a day do you say or think the word "liberal"?
In general I stay out of most of the political discussions on this forum, because I have other things to do, and my main goal in visiting this site is to learn and share medical information.
I've been on this forum much longer than you and have made several thousand more posts than you. You can check and see if I used the word liberal more than a dozen times in the past 4500 posts before this thread. I posted a great deal in this thread because I was upset by the lack of free speech on SDN and then later by the lack of support for the first amendment by those left leaning individuals on SDN who would have been chanting "free speech" in the 60s/70s, but don't seem to support it now when the shoe is on the other foot.

Instead of liberal I suppose I should have used a more accurate term such as snowflake because this correctly describes those who are 1-overly sensitive, 2-Don't have any data or skill to actually defend their beliefs in an intellectual debate so they must live in a safe echo chamber, and 3-suppress free speech because of #1 and #2 .

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I in no way support the craziness at the capitol. Free speech is free speech. No one gets a free pass on their actions.
As I mentioned about, I disagree with censorship of anyone's opinion, though I agree that free speech does not extend to inciting physical violence.
People are free to say basically whatever they want. They just can't oblige others to publish their content or to have them as users on their platforms, just like you can't say whatever you want in good 'ol SDN

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In general I stay out of most of the political discussions on this forum, because I have other things to do, and my main goal in visiting this site is to learn and share medical information.
I've been on this forum much longer than you and have made several thousand more posts than you. You can check and see if I used the word liberal more than a dozen times in the past 4500 posts before this thread. I posted a great deal in this thread because I was upset by the lack of free speech on SDN and then later by the lack of support for the first amendment by those left leaning individuals on SDN would have been chanting free speech in the 60s/70s, but don't seem to support it now when the shoe is on the other foot.

Instead of liberal I suppose I should have used a more accurate term such as snowflake because this correctly describes those who are 1-overly sensitive, 2-Don't have any data or skill to actually defend their beliefs in an intellectual debate so they must live in a safe echo chamber, and 3-suppress free speech because of #1 and #2 .

I'm not even sure what you're arguing at this point. I haven't seen a single person in this thread arguing against the principles of freedom of speech. Not a single person has suggested that Doctodd should be imprisoned or charged with a crime for his comments.

What you appear to be arguing, and correct me if I'm misunderstanding you, is that anyone should be able to say whatever they want, wherever they want, and be immune from any sort of social consequence for it. That's insanely stupid if that's what you believe.

I'm not even sure what you're arguing at this point. I haven't seen a single person in this thread arguing against the principles of freedom of speech. Not a single person has suggested that Doctodd should be imprisoned or charged with a crime for his comments.

What you appear to be arguing, and correct me if I'm misunderstanding you, is that anyone should be able to say whatever they want, wherever they want, and be immune from any sort of social consequence for it. That's insanely stupid if that's what you believe.
🤦‍♂️

I give up. You misunderstood every post I made in this thread, likely because intellectually you can't keep up. You couldn't win a debate with a tortoise so I am done trying to discuss this with you.

And for the record, not single post made by a democrat on this thread was in support of the first amendment, only ways of limiting it to various degrees.

🤦‍♂️

I give up. You misunderstood every post I made in this thread, likely because intellectually you can't keep up. You couldn't win a debate with a tortoise so I am done trying to discuss this with you.

And for the record, not single post made by a democrat on this thread was in support of the first amendment, only ways of limiting it to various degrees.

You didn't debate anything. Your argument was a pseudosob story about how you were "discriminated against" while you were attending Harvard and becoming a Pain Doc.

my experience with severe conservatives is that they tend to argue in nonsensical terms, relying on false information to feed their mistaken opinions, and call out "suppression of free speech, dont forget the first amendment" when confronted with factual data and information.

from a family member who to this day denies the existence of Watergate or even there are actual tapes, to the college friend who denied that acid rain existed, to the med school classmate that argued that HIV wasnt real, to the current climate change deniers or "stop the steal" members... its all the same. fact check and show them the truth, and they will say that what you are saying is lies which segues to "you are suppressing my free speech".

🤦‍♂️

for all of this bluster about your intellectual superiority, you have not proven your case. you may be correct, and i suspect some of what you say is true, but you have not demonstrated anything. a few anecdotes does not a cogent argument make.

Reactions: 1 user
Its going to be really challenging for bedrock to support his point because he doesn't have one. He just wants to rant about "liberals" and "snowflakes" -- very similar to how my dog likes to bark at absolutely nothing at all while running around in the backyard.

Its going to be really challenging for bedrock to support his point because he doesn't have one. He just wants to rant about "liberals" and "snowflakes" -- very similar to how my dog likes to bark at absolutely nothing at all while running around in the backyard.
why do dogs chase cars? what are they gonna do if the catch them?

fourth of all, white guys complaining about reverse racism or cancel culture is laughable. take a step back and understand how easy you have had it.
Sure didn't feel very easy when I was trying to get tuition grants and every single one said "Preference given to underrepresented minorities".

Sounds like the ‘deplorables’ need some ‘deprogramming’ ...

Whoa, looks like I wandered into the wrong thread

Was looking for some unity?

I'll just see myself out

Maybe check out some nursing forums, they seem to have their act together

On a more serious note -
Trump appointed Jerome Adams MD, anesthesiologist, as surgeon general. Dr. Adams immediately appointed a CRNA general and went on break. He also kept asking Trump how much time he had.