Surgeon murdered during clinic visit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MitchLevi

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Terrible story.

This is why I have a Springfield XDs .45 with me at work. Prob soon gonna switch over to Glock 43 though.

Members don't see this ad.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users

Terrible story.

This is why I have a Springfield XDs .45 with me at work. Prob soon gonna switch over to Glock 43 though.
Terrible news.

But why G43?
I love my XD45. It is quite large, but does not miss the target.

Terrible news.

But why G43?
I love my XD45. It is quite large, but does not miss the target.
Easy concealment and I'm a Glock guy if it isn't a 1911. I love my XDs and I love .45 as well. My XDs has unfortunately proven itself finicky with hollowpoint ammo.

Besides, modern ammo is nice, and 9mm is just as deadly as .45.

I like using the term "Nina."

I've been shooting GSSF competitions recently and pocket Glock is a separate category. I'd like to compete with my carry gun.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Easy concealment and I'm a Glock guy if it isn't a 1911. I love my XDs and I love .45 as well. My XDs has unfortunately proven itself finicky with hollowpoint ammo.

I've been shooting GSSF competitions recently and pocket Glock is a separate category. I'd like to compete with my carry gun.
Kimber 45 ultra all day

Reactions: 1 user
Air of course. Sneak up from behind, air embolus in the jugular. They didn't teach you that in the Marines?
I have 18g venom needles lying all over with the extra hole to maximize air embolus, but you don’t really sneak up on the patient who comes to their visit with plan to shoot you. I remain thankful my employer puts the no gun symbol on our entrances so crazy stuff like this can’t happen in my office.

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
16G Touhy
As a resident in shady hospitals I always kept a 14G 1.5" IV needle in my pocket. I told people it was in case I had to do an emergent needle decompression for tension pneumo, but obviously it had other uses too. Also knew docs who carried around a syringe of Sux, and even one doc who actually used it on someone.

try as you all might with this gun talk, but this guy targetted the doctor. his plan all along was to kill him. i supsect that it wouldnt have mattered what the victim was carrying, unless he had bullet proof body armor.

try as you all might with this gun talk, but this guy targetted the doctor. his plan all along was to kill him. i supsect that it wouldnt have mattered what the victim was carrying, unless he had bullet proof body armor.
Incorrect.

You have no idea how this thing went down.

There could have been any number of ways this could have gone the other direction.

As a resident in shady hospitals I always kept a 14G 1.5" IV needle in my pocket. I told people it was in case I had to do an emergent needle decompression for tension pneumo, but obviously it had other uses too. Also knew docs who carried around a syringe of Sux, and even one doc who actually used it on someone.
I know a guy who claimed to have used a syringe of sux on an assailant. Maybe we know the same guy...

to somewhat quote a made up line from American Sniper......there are 3 kinds of people in this world. The sheep, the wolf, and the sheep dog. The sheep dog is always ready(always expects to be targeted.) and protects the sheep from the wolf.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
he was waiting all day to see the doctor.

he was in the exam room alone with the doctor.

after shooting the doctor, he left without shooting or harming anyone else. he did not resist arrest.

when police arrived, he was not holding the gun - it was in his backpack.

police called this a "targetted" attack.

after shooting the doctor, he left without shooting or harming anyone else. he did not resist arrest.

All of this may be true.

My point remains.

Targeted attacks happen in homes, businesses, parking lots, cars. Being armed helps the odds. How's this any different?

Do you guys know anyone personally who benefited (or would have benefited) from carrying a gun and getting trained with it?

I appreciate the sentiment, it just seems incredibly low yield.

Crazy person has all the advantages here. No conscience, morals, care for another human being's life, plus the element of surprise. If they're a lousy shot, maybe being armed will help you.

Do you guys know anyone personally who benefited (or would have benefited) from carrying a gun and getting trained with it?

Same as a seatbelt or parachute. Hope it's never is needed but glad if it is. I don't think it's up for debate whether thwarted attacks exist. I'm sure the would-be victims were glad.

Reports say an NP was in the room. The doc had no chance, didn't sound like there was even any arguments. The guy just waited for his appointment, killed him, and walked out.

Innumerable stories of ppl with guns saving their lives

• Okay...
  • Hmm

For a specific situation like this (exam room), what do you think about your jiu jitsu, and a snub nose revolver?

I imagine in cramped quarters, exam room, hallway, check-out counter, there's likely to be a clinch/grappling?

Terrible story.

Anyone think Ortho is as high risk as Pain Management these days (from a personal safety perspective)?

For a specific situation like this (exam room), what do you think about your jiu jitsu, and a snub nose revolver?

I imagine in cramped quarters, exam room, hallway, check-out counter, there's likely to be a clinch/grappling?
I think there are few things that would prepare you more for that situation than BJJ.

Low yield vs sacrificial lamb.

Agree. My hospital starting offering free "self defense" training for the staff (nurses, floor clerks, etc). Nothing wrong with being proactive.

I think there are few things that would prepare you more for that situation than BJJ.

Nerd point here--I heard that with a contact shot, the slide can go out of battery on a semi-auto pistol, correct? (hence my question about the revolver).

Nerd point here--I heard that with a contact shot, the slide can go out of battery on a semi-auto pistol, correct? (hence my question about the revolver).
You can malfxn a pistol if you're in contact with the slide as it cycles sure...

Prob the best example is a firing from the hip while grappling with someone and your gun is tucked against your own midsection.

The first round WILL discharge though.

It seems like the answer to my question is "NO", unless someone wants to claim otherwise?

It's up to you how you wish to prepare for situations.

I’ve been considering some of the bullet resistant covert clothing for a while now.. just don’t want to be that paranoid.

Anyone think Ortho is as high risk as Pain Management these days (from a personal safety perspective)?
I think ortho is actually higher risk. They get zero training on how to deal with the opioid dependent/drug seeking population and they are not empowered to refuse to operate on patients who aren’t emotionally stable. Their postop pain training is not very nuanced either.

It seems like the answer to my question is "NO", unless someone wants to claim otherwise?

I can think of two patients, one killed carjacker, one shot home intruder.

Google search yields countless examples.

okay.

please post them.

and make sure they are targetted situations where the killer was there for 1 purpose - to kill the victim.

in Rolo's 2 examples, the criminal's purpose was not to physically harm the victim. it was to rob.

surprised the media hasnt blamed it on "mental health issues". Stories like this should be more popular. In psychiatry doctors would get threatened all the time and rarely was anything done about it. Need harsher punishments and deterrents for these kind of crimes.

okay.

please post them.

and make sure they are targetted situations where the killer was there for 1 purpose - to kill the victim.

in Rolo's 2 examples, the criminal's purpose was not to physically harm the victim. it was to rob.
I flatly refuse to do it bc it's a waste of my time and something you can easily do on your own.

You're completely incorrect dude.

Countless stories of ppl defending themselves and others with firearms.

Last edited:
then you cant back your contention. i contend you are making this statement up. you dont have examples that owning a handgun prevented assassination attempts.

you post something, you prove it. it is not the role of those who doubt you to prove your false contention.

If owning a gun successfully protected you from someone with murderous intent, we’d be hearing more stories in Texas where a woman shoots her partner before he could kill her. Instead it’s murder suicide or murder.

Probably why armored car security carry revolvers. Idiot proof in high pressure situations. Good knock down power

Google search yields countless examples.
Obviously people have used guns to defend themselves. I'm looking for up close and personal examples of people you know.

I don't know anyone personally who has needed/used a gun in a combat situation. If I did, it would make complete sense for me to arm up.

Right now it seems about as helpful as wearing a parachute on every airplane flight. The probability of me needing and able to use one is nonzero but very small.

Reactions: 6 users
@hyperalgesia I get what you're saying. I'm not an EDC nut who wears a Batman belt worth of gear everywhere but it's not hard up to keep a 13 oz snub my bag. Local hospital outpatient clinic was recently shot up, several dead, docs I know in the building shaken up. Coincidentally after manhunt shooter was found hiding out across the street from my house. Likely something like this will never happen again, but high crime city in general so I'm often packing anyway. Shooter in building is the scenario I hope to be somewhat prepared for, not exam room assassination, though I still think accessible gun is better than none for that situation.

is the gun in your pocket when you see patients?

i see the point of having "protection" against a mass shooter coming in guns ablazing, where you can go to your office and grab your piece to "protect" yourself.

but i would like to know who actually carries a gun into an exam room in their office with their finger on the safety.

(as a side note, i hesitate to call a gun "protection" because it doesnt "protect" directly - it kills and incapacitates, thus allowing a gun rights advocate to say that they "protect".)

Probably why armored car security carry revolvers. Idiot proof in high pressure situations. Good knock down power

Interesting. I didn't know armored vehicle security use revolvers only and not pistols?

Effectiveness between the common handgun calibers (9mm, .40., .45, .38 special, .357) is roughly the same correct?

@hyperalgesia I get what you're saying. I'm not an EDC nut who wears a Batman belt worth of gear everywhere but it's not hard up to keep a 13 oz snub my bag. Local hospital outpatient clinic was recently shot up, several dead, docs I know in the building shaken up. Coincidentally after manhunt shooter was found hiding out across the street from my house. Likely something like this will never happen again, but high crime city in general so I'm often packing anyway. Shooter in building is the scenario I hope to be somewhat prepared for, not exam room assassination, though I still think accessible gun is better than none for that situation.
Sounds entirely reasonable in your case.

Interesting. I didn't know armored vehicle security use revolvers only and not pistols?

Effectiveness between the common handgun calibers (9mm, .40., .45, .38 special, .357) is roughly the same correct?
not at all. and also depends on bullet type (FMJ vs. HP, etc.)

Yes, several (may have benefited).