Best reference for cardiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IM05

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone suggest a good reference book for cardiology.

what I need to find out out is the prevelance of arrhythmias in the general population. Does anyone has any idea ??

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if the overall prevalence on the precentage of people who have "arrhythmias" is known or has even been studied, since many "arrhthymias" have little to no clinical significance and people go in and out of arrhythmias all of the time. Anyways, of course the incidence increases as people age, and for one of the most common clinically significant arrhythmia's is A fib, whose prevalence rises to ~10% in the population who are over 80. Premature ventricular contractions, technically an arrhytmia, has a prevalence of anywhere from 20-50% in adults (higher in those with CAD), and 2-4% in children. Anyways, a few good cardioelectrophysiology books are Dubin: Rapid interpretation of the EKG; and the cardiologists I have been working with reccomend Marriottt's Practical Electrocardiography. Neither discusses prevalence of arrhthymias though, they only discuss how to diagnose them using ECG's.

A good Cardiology reference manual (separate from the EKG primers described in a previous post) is the Manual of Cardiovascular Medicine (Marso, Topol, et al) of which the most recent edition is due any time (may already be out). Fantastic reference book to have on call with you on the CCU -- divides topics into coronary, valvular, failure, EP, intervention, hemodynamics and others -- easy reading, great diagrams and truly one of the best reference books I have used in my residency.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to both, will see if I could find the Manual of Cardiovascular Medicine (Marso, Topol, et al) at the hospital library.

Kalel, could you specify the source where you got the prevelance of PVC since I found it a bit higher from refering to Harrison's Medicine. This is not the latest edition so wondering if it could be an over represented figure.

Originally posted by IM05
Thanks to both, will see if I could find the Manual of Cardiovascular Medicine (Marso, Topol, et al) at the hospital library.

Kalel, could you specify the source where you got the prevelance of PVC since I found it a bit higher from refering to Harrison's Medicine. This is not the latest edition so wondering if it could be an over represented figure.

The prevalence is going to differ depending on study population and research methods (eg recruitment of patients who are willing to wear a holter monitor):
http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic2364.htm
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=77131657

Thanks sooo much.......

I highly recommend taking a look at "Cardiac Electrophysiology: From Cell to Bedside" by Douglas P. Zipes and Jos? Jalife. It's a comprehensive source for arrythmia from a clinical perspective.

Oh yeah, I just realized that you were asking about cardiology in general.
I very, very highly recommend using "Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine", by Braunwald, 6th ed., (who is also the first author on Harrison's). This book is amazingly well written and goes into a great amount of detail.

thanks, I tried your previous one ( Douglas P Zipes) in the library, for some reason they don't talk about PVC at all, or very little.

will try Braunwald. Thanks again.

I'm actually starting as a cardiology fellow in a couple of months, and wanted to see if anyone had any additional ideas on reference books for cardiology fellowship. Here's what I've heard so far from talking to fellows:

Recommended

Braunwald's - the classic, offered in 1 or 2 book sets
Grossman's Interventional book -- i haven't gotten it yet, but i heard it was the "bible"
Mariott's Practical EKG - basics of EKGs (LVH, pathophys of arrhythmias, etc)
Wellen's Emergency EKG book - good stuff for arrhythmias
Echo -- heard Feigenbaum was the "bible" but huge and Otto was good too (haven't seen it )

Other:
Chou's EKG in Clinical Practice - ?haven't seen it yet

Fogorro's EP Testing - heard it was good if you're doing EP later, explains the procedures
Marriott's Challenging EKG's - good, just a collection of hard (not impossible) EKGs
Kern Cardiac Cath - haven't looked at it yet

nuclear book - iskandrean -- if you're doing imaging

I also found lists on Amazon with all these books..

"Cards Books" - 2005
http://www.amazon.com/Definitive-nbsp-list-nbsp-of-nbsp-Cardiology-nbsp-Books/lm/3AUQRAFAC667J/ref=cm_srch_res_rpli_alt/103-1405995-8064605

"Books for Cards fellows" -- 2003
http://www.amazon.com/Books-nbsp-for-nbsp-Cardiology-nbsp-Fellows/lm/9KV6BS339R8P/ref=cm_srch_res_rpli_alt/103-1405995-8064605