Best med school for plastics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicholasblonde

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an M-zero, currently in the application process for the entering class of 2005. Which medical school(s) would be the best for someone wanting to do plastics. Obviously going to a school like Harvard or UCSF would help me get any residency, but I'm just wondering if any specific schools have well-known plastics docs, plastics programs, research opportunities in plastics...

Members don't see this ad.

Northwestern

Members don't see this ad :)
Jason_AZCOM said:
Beyond that, basic science isn't any different at Harvard then it is at the "worst" school.

Although I agree with most of your post, I respectfully disagree with this statement. Having tutored students for the Step I, it seems obvious that not all basic science education is created equal. If you want to do well on Step I (which you will need to get into plastics), you should probably try to go to a school that will prepare you for that. That being said, you don't need to go to Harvard to get a good education, there are plenty of good state schools that don't have the Harvard name (or pricetag).

Obviously geographic location, school's curriculum jiving with your learning style, etc. matter a whole lot. After that, I'd consider a school that has an integrated or combined residency program. You'll get to know the attendings better over your 4 years, and if you're good they'll like you and you'll probably get a leg up on the competition. In general, letters of rec from attendings at integrated/combined progams may be more useful because they'll probably be better known within the academic community. If anything, it'll save you the need for an extra away rotation. Going to a school whose plastics division has a research lab is a plus. That way you could get involved during the summer after your first year and continue on. It takes forever for a paper to get published... :p

UCLA because they so wrapped up in the B.S. Hollywood botox fake tit culture, they spend tons of money on advertising their plastics center. God forbid some kid should get leukemia and show up there, they would likely come away with an autopsy and pair of 36DD boobs.

LADoc00 said:
UCLA because they so wrapped up in the B.S. Hollywood botox fake tit culture, they spend tons of money on advertising their plastics center. God forbid some kid should get leukemia and show up there, they would likely come away with an autopsy and pair of 36DD boobs.

you said "boobs."
:laugh: