Baylor Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HollyJ

Realtors are evil
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope this isn't a really tacky question. . .

For those of you who have interviewed/plan to interview/hope to interview at Baylor, what are your stats? I'm kind of interested in seeing where I fall.

Good luck tomorrow to everyone waiting for a call!

Members don't see this ad.

Ill pm you my info, but the averages for Baylor are around a 34 and a 3.7 GPA.

Baylor stats are skewed in my opinion. They might have the highests stats in Texas, but they sure have the most liberal arts base of students. I wouldn't believe it was a Texas school since it has such a more "liberal" minded student body than most of the other schools in Texas.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by Giving My .02
Baylor stats are skewed in my opinion. They might have the highests stats in Texas, but they sure have the most liberal arts base of students. I wouldn't believe it was a Texas school since it has such a more "liberal" minded student body than most of the other schools in Texas.

You think? I heard Baylor was all about the numbers, and well that pretty much told me I didn't need to apply. However the free tuition would have been nice though.

I don't want to get myself into trouble, but here it is. Baylor has many minority programs. These people are accepted out of high school and only must maintain a 3.0 and a 24. They practically feel there slots of minorities with these programs so it practically impossible for anyone minority to get into Baylor UNLESS they have the good digits. I think Baylor is all about numbers because they need a lot of steller applicants to keep the average high. Just my two cents. & they get these people because of what you said... ideal tuition.

Hmm, Im not sure what your comment about Baylor being liberal has to do with anything, I met several liberals who I already knew previously at UTSW.

I think people our age with our level of education are simply more likely to be liberal, regardless of location.

Gleevec,

I am not going to get in a message battle with you, but it is obvious Baylor is more liberal & less conservative. Look at the students. 30% come from out of state from many universities all over the country. The other schools in Texas only accept 10% out-of-staters. Baylor is a lot more liberal than most the other Texas schools. You can compare it with a hand full of people you know at UTSW, but basically I am right. Most of the Texas applicants come from either Texas A&M or UT. UT is going to be the more liberal university in Texas, thus you will have a more liberal base of students coming from here. Texas A&M is more conservative. You are from Houston if I remember correctly. Houston and Dallas and Austin are not the norm for the rest of Texas. Texas is a very conservative state. Now this might be changing due to urbanization, but I am pretty familiar with the rural communities, and I know how most of them stand. We are in the bible belt.

Gleevec,

I am not going to get in a message battle with you, but it is obvious Baylor is more liberal & less conservative. Look at the students. 30% come from out of state from many universities all over the country. The other schools in Texas only accept 10% out-of-staters. Baylor is a lot more liberal than most the other Texas schools. You can compare it with a hand full of people you know at UTSW, but basically I am right. Most of the Texas applicants come from either Texas A&M or UT. UT is going to be the more liberal university in Texas, thus you will have a more liberal base of students coming from here. Texas A&M is more conservative. You are from Houston if I remember correctly. Houston and Dallas and Austin are not the norm for the rest of Texas. Texas is a very conservative state. Now this might be changing due to urbanization, but I am pretty familiar with the rural communities, and I know how most of them stand. We are in the bible belt.

You are right that UT is liberal, and you are right that most of the students from UTSW come from UT. So how is UTSW supposed to be conservative then? And if so, how are you right?

I agree that rural TX is conservative and that we're in the bible belt. I also agree that TAMU and TT are conservative. But UTH, UTSA, UTSW have UT as one of the two biggest schools feeding into them, and they are in major cities (oftentimes with students from other major cities in TX), so of course they are going to be either slightly liberal or neutral.

So no, you're not right-- you're wrong about Baylor, UTSW, UTH, and UTSA. Because these schools are either liberal or neutral, based on your own arguments. I agree that TAMU, TT are more conservative however.

Hey! Focus, people! This thread is for my personal validation, not bickering! :D

Thanks for PMing me, Gleevec.

Originally posted by HollyJ
I hope this isn't a really tacky question. . .

For those of you who have interviewed/plan to interview/hope to interview at Baylor, what are your stats? I'm kind of interested in seeing where I fall.

Good luck tomorrow to everyone waiting for a call!

In any case, back to the OP. At the point at which you get an interview to baylor in-state you have a statistical 50% chance of getting in based on previous years. Good luck to ya!

I respect your opinion Gleevec, and it was interesting to see your perspective and how you respond to my devil advocate's stance.

I respect your opinion Gleevec, and it was interesting to see your perspective and how you respond to my devil advocate's stance.

Likewise. I do agree with you in part, but there really is no way to see if either of us is right unless someone conducted a poll or something. So as it stands, we both have theories, we just cant prove them.

gleevec - you mind if you PM me your stats? i actually don't know anyone else applying to baylor this year and wanted to get an idea of what kind of numbers i'm up against? hahah. (this is basically last minute panic) i don't know anyone applying because i'm a liberal arts student and i hate associating myself with premed gunners -- which makes me wonder why i'm on this board. HA. ok thanks. i'll PM mine out if anyone else is interested. bye for now.

Members don't see this ad :)
hollyj, i pm'd u..

now, back to my umich thread...

i know it'll kill me if i don't get notifed asap but i hope someone who gets tapped by baylor posts asap so i can at least know they've started sending out acceptances. haha. i'm a loser.

what is this about free tuition?!

Gleevec,

Exactly what does in- vs out-of-state have to do with being liberal or conservative? Let's suppose the additional 20% come from an "equally conservative" state? Then where does that leave you?

it's october 15. freaking. i'm scared.

Originally posted by Gleevec
So no, you're not right-- you're wrong about Baylor, UTSW, UTH, and UTSA. Because these schools are either liberal or neutral, based on your own arguments. I agree that TAMU, TT are more conservative however.
umm, UTH is pretty conservative by my standards and I would consider myself conservative. people are pretty open and accepting, but socially and politically, they are pretty conservative. then again, our class is more studious than most, but I think you will find this trend continuing down the road.

Originally posted by seaworthc
umm, UTH is pretty conservative by my standards and I would consider myself conservative. people are pretty open and accepting, but socially and politically, they are pretty conservative. then again, our class is more studious than most, but I think you will find this trend continuing down the road.

Hmm, thats interested. I had not heard that. I think TAMU is the main undergrad represented at UTH though, right? I stand corrected about UTH then. I didnt get that impression during my visit.

Originally posted by Gleevec
Hmm, thats interested. I had not heard that. I think TAMU is the main undergrad represented at UTH though, right? I stand corrected about UTH then. I didnt get that impression during my visit.
yes, our class ended up being 30% A&M, and I think 25% UT.

they do seem to really impress to interviewees that we drink a lot, but this isn't really so true anymore. personally, I sometimes wish my classmates went out a bit more. however, in the past, our school has really had some big partiers. they went for a much more academic class this past year in my opinion, but the students are still great. :) we have our liberals, but I would say as a whole, we're conservative, but maybe not by texas standards.

the opinion I've gotten of Baylor is that it is pretty liberal, compared to texas schools, but that people there don't go out much either. I could be wrong though.

when you guys say "liberal" and "conservative" are you referring purely to political bias? attitudes toward medicine? social issues? granted, i am decidedly apolitical, but political bias hasn't really impressed me one way or the other in most of the tx schools i've applied to.

oh and re stats, hollyj...i'll pm you the info. no worries, i'm sure they accept ppl above and below those numbers. besides i have heard they don't place as much emphasis on the #s as they do on personal experience and diversity (from the "Unofficial Guide to Getting into Med School" or some similar publication).

Originally posted by spumoni620
when you guys say "liberal" and "conservative" are you referring purely to political bias? attitudes toward medicine? social issues? granted, i am decidedly apolitical, but political bias hasn't really impressed me one way or the other in most of the tx schools i've applied to.

oh and re stats, hollyj...i'll pm you the info. no worries, i'm sure they accept ppl above and below those numbers. besides i have heard they don't place as much emphasis on the #s as they do on personal experience and diversity (from the "Unofficial Guide to Getting into Med School" or some similar publication).

That's interesting that you are apolitical being an economics major if I remember correctly.

I think people our age with our level of education are simply more likely to be liberal
so are you 'simply' saying that educated people are more likely to be liberal (a back-handed implication that educated people would not want to be conservative)?? ;) i'm sure i'm nit-picking (or you meant that to be insulting...j/k).

enough silliness. like the others said, would you mind pm'ing me your stats? thanks.

That's interesting that you are apolitical being an economics major if I remember correctly.

well....sort of like an agnostic--someone who's aware of the research and scholarship but consciously chooses not to take one side or the other. that is, i think in modern american politics there are very few tangible differences distinguishing one political party from another--save the obvious dichotomous issues (abortion, death penaty, etc.). these days, personality and image seem to serve the american voting populace more than tangible core issues. to that end, i don't really consider myself a member of one political party or another.

now if we talk economics, i am definitely a liberal. free trade all the way!

now if we talk economics, i am definitely a liberal. free trade all the way!

Free trade is disgusting. Congrats on Baylor. :)

Originally posted by Peter Parker
Free trade is disgusting. Congrats on Baylor.

P. Parker
BCM

:laugh:

ha ha...thanks...well, luckily baylor is a top school of medicine not economics...or i'd have to reconsider my acceptance...

j/k--free trade or no, i'm there!

:laugh:

ha ha...thanks...well, luckily baylor is a top school of medicine not economics...or i'd have to reconsider my acceptance...

j/k--free trade or no, i'm there!

:) Welcome to the family, in any case! You're going to love it here. If I can be of any help from now on, feel free to PM.

One tip: Avoiding CondoLand at all costs will work wonders for your psychological and social well-being.

Originally posted by Peter Parker
:) Welcome to the family, in any case! You're going to love it here. If I can be of any help from now on, feel free to PM.

cool, i will! :D