NYU or Baylor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texlonghorn

Reaction score
NYU
Pros
  • Tuition-free (Would take out about $20-30K in loans total for all 4 years) + Subsidized housing
  • 3-year MD with guranteed path to any NYU residency (or just a 4-year path with an added research year otherwise).
  • NYC seems fun, and would be a unique life experience to live there for a few years.
Cons
  • Graded clinicals
  • SO would be in Austin for 2 years, with flexibility to travel on weekends.
Baylor
Pros
  • Houston Campus - Texas Medical Center
  • P/F all 4 years
  • Much easier on my SO to visit first two years + Family lives in Houston.
  • Want to end up in Texas after training.
Cons
  • Would take out about $120,000 in loans.
  • No research year (interested in a competitive specialty, might be useful to have one especially with P/F clinicals).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
No research year (interested in a competitive specialty, might be useful to have one especially with P/F clinicals).
I would argue that P/F all four years would grant you more time to do quality research since you wouldn’t have to worry as much about your grades. No shortage of research at BCM, especially if in the med center.

NYU
Pros
  • Tuition-free (Would take out about $20-30K in loans total for all 4 years) + Subsidized housing
  • 3-year MD with guranteed path to any NYU residency (or just a 4-year path with an added research year otherwise).
  • NYC seems fun, and would be a unique life experience to live there for a few years.
Cons
  • Graded clinicals
  • SO would be in Austin for 2 years, with flexibility to travel on weekends.
Baylor
Pros
  • Houston Campus - Texas Medical Center
  • P/F all 4 years
  • Much easier on my SO to visit first two years + Family lives in Houston.
  • Want to end up in Texas after training.
Cons
  • Would take out about $120,000 in loans.
  • No research year (interested in a competitive specialty, might be useful to have one especially with P/F clinicals)

Would it really be 20-30 K in loans for cost of living at NYU for 4 years in total??? NYC is the most expensive place to live in this country. I can't imagine your rent, even if subsidized, would cost just 5-7K per year. Some one bedrooms in NYC cost 4K per month.

If its really a 100K difference, I guess I would go with NYU especially since you will finish in 3 yrs, but P/F at Baylor is nice. Make sure you double check your estimate on the cost of living in NYC and how much loans you would need to take out.

Reactions: 1 users