El Paso vs Baylor vs WSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Enne

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a Texas resident who has recently moved from Washington. I am currently accepted into El Paso and am waiting to hear back from Baylor and WSU (waitlist) I was wondering if I could have some advice on deciding between these schools if I am accepted on the waitlist.

El Paso
Pros
  • least expensive (20k/yr)
  • better match list/step scores vs WSU
  • can already makes plans for due to being already accepted (finding housing, building connections, etc.)
  • unique population I would enjoy working with

Cons
  • away from family/friends/partner
  • near the border? (heard mixed things about safety)
  • less ideal environment (warm weather, flatter, less things to do)

Baylor
Pros
  • More highly regarded name
  • Better match list/step scores than either El Paso or WSU
  • likely better research opportunities?
  • less expensive than WSU (30k/yr)

Cons
  • unclear about value of going to Temple (as that's likely where I'd go as someone coming off the waitlist)
  • less ideal environment (warm weather, flatter, less things to do, etc)
  • away from family/friends/partner
WSU
Pros
  • closer to family/friends/partner
  • ideal environment (cooler weather, more mountainous, enjoy camping fishing, etc)

Cons
  • more expensive (40k/yr)
  • more limited match list and lower step scores than either Baylor or El Paso
Summary: Currently, my opinion of where I should go if given the option is Baylor > El Paso > WSU, but I'd be open to hearing any thoughts or opinions. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would look at the home programs that the schools offer and if it is a specialty you like. I would not hold too much weight on the step scores because most students study for step irrespective of their schools curriculums and typically study with third party material. I would lean with the least expensive option that also gives you the best shot in matching. So good match list, good home programs in the specialties you like, great opportunities like an abundance of research, and not too expensive.

Reactions: 1 user
I would look at the home programs that the schools offer and if it is a specialty you like. I would not hold too much weight on the step scores because most students study for step irrespective of their schools curriculums and typically study with third party material. I would lean with the least expensive option that also gives you the best shot in matching. So good match list, good home programs in the specialties you like, great opportunities like an abundance of research, and not too expensive.
That makes sense, thank you! I will look into that more.

Coming from someone from El Paso, I will say the research opportunities are limited. However, if you put the work in you can find someone to work with. Plenty of students match to competitive programs and specialties. It is all dependent of how hard you work. Baylor would be easier though since they already have a lot of research going on and a greater variety of home programs. In regard to the safety, El paso is definitely safer than most cities and has continuously ranked as one of the safest cities in America.

Reactions: 1 user