Baylor College of Medicine -- Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
after completing and submitting the FAFSA form for a couple of schools, is it very easy to add on more schools to send the FAFSA form to?

Members don't see this ad.

after completing and submitting the FAFSA form for a couple of schools, is it very easy to add on more schools to send the FAFSA form to?

I think you have to send a "corrections" form, which might take a while to process. That's why it's generally a good idea to stick all the med schools you might consider, even if they haven't accepted you yet.

The condo complexes (that I know off) are:

City Plaza (OST & Kirby)
The Valencia (OST & Greenbiar - right ON the metro rail, but slightly overpriced)
The Riverwalk (OST & Cambridge - right across the street from the VA)
City Place (OST & Cambridge - across the street from "ghetto Kroger" and caddy corner from the new Baylor Clinic & Hospital, and alongside the MetroBus stop; this is a townhouse complex and I actually own a place here)

There are several places that are "further inland" that I'm not as familiar with and many of them are along the metrobus line. I think the Valencia is going to be the closest place you get to the MetroRail and Rice U that is reasonably priced. Anything around Rice U is going to be a house with rooms for rent (West U) or in the Museum District and ridiculously pricey. My cousin is an administrator at Baylor and she recently bought a townhouse on that side of town for 200K (and it is fairly far from Baylor). The places that are closer to the TMC are going to be mostly high-rise buildings and very expensive with prohibitively high (in my opinion - I did look at a couple of these places) homeowner's association fees. A LOT of students who buy will either go with the Riverwalk or, if they want to buy the cheapest place that will get them in-state status, one of the 50K places that are deeper into condoland. I don't personally know anyone who lives in the Valencia, but it is also by far the newest building in Condoland and is on the MetroRail, which are 2 STRONG factors in its favor (MetroRail >>> Metro Bus).

With the Baylor Clinic & Hospital and the new MD Anderson campus going up at OST & Cambridge, I feel like this whole area is probably going to be the next area of expansion for the TMC. In short, it's a good area to buy - your property may get "emininent domain"-ed, but you'll at least make a profit.

thanks for the info bud..much appreciated :thumbup:

for anyone else looking around for condos/apts, here's a helpful site i found on another thread:

www.har.com

Members don't see this ad :)
So I'm kind of interested in the research track... how do we get into it and it is something we'd have to decide now?

Any other thoughts or opinions about the program would be appreciated!

So I'm kind of interested in the research track... how do we get into it and it is something we'd have to decide now?

Any other thoughts or opinions about the program would be appreciated!

http://www.bcm.edu/osa/handbook/?pmid=6146

Here's a link to the Research Track. It just a brief overview, but has contact information for the faculty who oversees the program. However, you don't have to submit your application until December of 2nd year, so have plenty of time.

Has anyone heard anything at all from the financial aid office? I sent in my stuff a long *** time ago, but I haven't heard a peep. I am hoping I didn't forget anything...

I called the financial aid office today & they said they hadn't processed any awards YET.

See ya'll at Baylor!

I called the financial aid office today & they said they hadn't processed any awards YET.

See ya'll at Baylor!

Did you decide on Baylor? If so, welcome and we look forward to meeting you! :hello:

Has anyone heard anything at all from the financial aid office? I sent in my stuff a long *** time ago, but I haven't heard a peep. I am hoping I didn't forget anything...

I called last week to see if they received my stuff - they said they should have our awards out early April, maybe late March. Knowing med schools, this probably means mid-April...

Call, call, call, call, call, call! When I went to their accepted applicants weekend, I decided to stop by their financial aid office to see what I had turned in. Good thing I did because apparently they never got my FAFSA. I sent them that thing 2 MONTHS ago. Sigh.

Yes, I'm coming to Baylor! :thumbup:

TheRealMD, they told me the same thing about my FAFSA which I had completed and submitted long ago. They said they hadn't "downloaded" it yet, but then again that may be bcz they received my acceptance letter not too long ago. I'll call them again soon enough and make sure they have it.

The lady also claimed that first come first serve doesn't apply as much for the first years as for continuing students... I don't know anyone that can confirm that though.

TheRealMD, they told me the same thing about my FAFSA which I had completed and submitted long ago. They said they hadn't "downloaded" it yet, but then again that may be bcz they received my acceptance letter not too long ago. I'll call them again soon enough and make sure they have it.

The lady also claimed that first come first serve doesn't apply as much for the first years as for continuing students... I don't know anyone that can confirm that though.

I hope so!

In other news, Dr. Phillips (I think) just called about my scholarship award. Let's just say I'm REALLY happy. :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got the call today!

I completely thought that I wouldn't have a chance, but I guess I was luckier than I thought.

I am very torn however, between Baylor and UTSW, and I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice. I have an SO in Dallas, and I've lived in Houston before, so I might lean slightly towards Dallas in the location department. I have a bunch of friends at UTSW from college and high school. I vibe well with UTSW's research slant, since I enjoy research. However, Baylor does seem to be more laid back than UTSW, and, as much as I want to get away from it, it is ranked higher. I know this has probably been beaten to death, but what do you guys think? UTSW or Baylor?

I just got the call today!

I completely thought that I wouldn't have a chance, but I guess I was luckier than I thought.

I am very torn however, between Baylor and UTSW, and I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice. I have an SO in Dallas, and I've lived in Houston before, so I might lean slightly towards Dallas in the location department. I have a bunch of friends at UTSW from college and high school. I vibe well with UTSW's research slant, since I enjoy research. However, Baylor does seem to be more laid back than UTSW, and, as much as I want to get away from it, it is ranked higher. I know this has probably been beaten to death, but what do you guys think? UTSW or Baylor?

I chose Baylor over UTSW, even with my brother and his wife (both UTSW grads) nagging me to go to UTSW. Probably the most important thing to me was starting clinicals 6 months before everyone else (hey, that's what I actually signed up to be!) and the flexibility that Baylor allows. Plus, you have people that can technically graduate October or November of their 4th year and have so much time for electives. And even better, ALL LECTURES ARE RECORDED!!!

I guess I'll let someone else chime in. :laugh:

The schedule is pretty awesome

I'm a 3rd year...maybe 3/4 of the way through this year?

Friends at UTSW are slogging through their cores and trying to find something they want to do with their lives.

I'm done with all cores except Psyc, which I put off til early 4th year...and already by this point I've done 2 elective months, and the next 2 months and then 2 weeks after that are all electives that I got to choose.

I have also happened to find and work on 3 research projects just by standing around when stuff happened...so that was no problem either.

At this rate, I can be done with med school (except for the new "capstone" month in 3/2009) by Early October of my 4th Year

Yee-haw!

you guys totally freaked me out, so i called too. the first lady i talked to said they hadn't received anything. :eek: she put me on hold to go check and my cell cut out. i called back and another lady picked up and said that they received my institutional app and that it was going through the scholarship committee. she said that they didn't have my fafsa, but i was like "what? i submitted that." she said that they probably hadn't downloaded it because my app had to pass through scholarships first.

in any case, i asked when we could expect award packages and all she told me was that the deadline for fin aid for MS1s was may 15 so most would get the package after that time. she said that i might see one beforehand though, because i did submit my stuff early.

I hope so!

In other news, Dr. Phillips (I think) just called about my scholarship award. Let's just say I'm REALLY happy. :love:

Yes, my friend got that too, and I am reaaally jealous because I know how much $$$ it was :eek:.

I am hoping I didn't miss out...do you know the selection criteria?

I bet this had to do with the $100 million dollar donation from the McNairs

so are we supposed to get a call about scholarships too? Or does that info come in april with all the rest?

Yes, my friend got that too, and I am reaaally jealous because I know how much $$$ it was :eek:.

I am hoping I didn't miss out...do you know the selection criteria?

I bet this had to do with the $100 million dollar donation from the McNairs

Does it vary from person to person? And in all the excitement, I forgot if it was per year or for all 4 years. :oops:

No clue on the selection criteria. I guess they just looked at our Baylor app? We didn't really give them anything else (thankfully, I have a strong dislike for essays)

Does it vary from person to person? And in all the excitement, I forgot if it was per year or for all 4 years. :oops:

No clue on the selection criteria. I guess they just looked at our Baylor app? We didn't really give them anything else (thankfully, I have a strong dislike for essays)

now, i'm curious about this too. was it merit based? they didn't mention why they chose you or what the scholarship was for?

now, i'm curious about this too. was it merit based? they didn't mention why they chose you or what the scholarship was for?

It was a minority scholarship, but I don't know anything else besides that. I guess I'll have to wait for the packet they are supposed to send to get more info.

Hi everyone. I've been accepted to Baylor but I'm still deciding between a few other schools.

I received a missed call last night from a Houston number and now I'm freaking out that it could have been about a scholarship. Should I call back or do you think they will call again?

Hi everyone. I've been accepted to Baylor but I'm still deciding between a few other schools.

I received a missed call last night from a Houston number and now I'm freaking out that it could have been about a scholarship. Should I call back or do you think they will call again?

They will call again.

I was trying to decide between the two a while back and what ultimately slanted me towards Baylor was the three year allowance before taking the step 1 as well as the research. That three year allowance with lots of clinical exposure is designed to let you score high. For research, you might want to think about what type you're interested in. UTSW is well-known for research but it's primarily for clinical research and not basic. I intend to do the research track at Baylor, and I think I would do better at Baylor than UTSW. Plus, some of UTSW's best basic science researchers have been leaving for places like Hopkins and Stanford. As far as the SO is considered, Houston isn't that far away- what a 4 hour drive? You could make it work.

It was a minority scholarship, but I don't know anything else besides that. I guess I'll have to wait for the packet they are supposed to send to get more info.

I'll calm my white-self down then. I can always hope that the need based decider people will see that while my parents do have money they're in retirement and siphoning off what little they have left would not be good. *shrug*

Congrats to everyone that did get the money though. that must be a huge load off!

I'll calm my white-self down then. I can always hope that the need based decider people will see that while my parents do have money they're in retirement and siphoning off what little they have left would not be good. *shrug*

Congrats to everyone that did get the money though. that must be a huge load off!

There are many loan options, and a majority of the class requires them, so don't start the year off with a "life's not fair" attitude.

There are many loan options, and a majority of the class requires them, so don't start the year off with a "life's not fair" attitude.

i'm fully prepared to take out loans and i apologize for if i came off in a bad way. i'm sorry. i didn't mean to demean anyone. it was not my intention to imply that life's not fair. i am all for scholarships and if i don't get one it's because there were people more deserving than I. that doesn't stop me from hoping; just as i did when i was waiting for an acceptance.

facing the debt is difficult, for everyone. i have a considerable amount already. that was where i was coming from.

can we please be friends now? i could not feel more like an arse.

For those of you trying to decide between Baylor and another school: I don't know if this helps, but I heard that they might be adding a four-year research requirement for medical students. However, if you feel that this piece of information might influence your decision, please call them first to find out if this is actually true.

For those of you trying to decide between Baylor and another school: I don't know if this helps, but I heard that they might be adding a four-year research requirement for medical students. However, if you feel that this piece of information might influence your decision, please call them first to find out if this is actually true.

"Scholarly project" is what they termed it, though it doesn't have to be strictly research. They casually mentioned it during our Accepted Applicants Weekend, but I forgot to ask more about it. I remember it sounding like something most students do one way or another but now it's "mandatory".

Still, I suppose it might cause a few students to grumble.:oops:

"Scholarly project" is what they termed it, though it doesn't have to be strictly research. They casually mentioned it during our Accepted Applicants Weekend, but I forgot to ask more about it. I remember it sounding like something most students do one way or another but now it's "mandatory".

Still, I suppose it might cause a few students to grumble.:oops:

well, that's cool. is there an advisor or some such person to help you get started or put you in the right direction? i was thinking of doing research, but have no idea what field or which type (clinical, transitional, basic).

when i did research previously, i mostly just latched on to whoever would take me just so i could get the skills and understand the process. it'd be nice to have a more formally organized "program" without having to be on the research track.

well, that's cool. is there an advisor or some such person to help you get started or put you in the right direction? i was thinking of doing research, but have no idea what field or which type (clinical, transitional, basic).

when i did research previously, i mostly just latched on to whoever would take me just so i could get the skills and understand the process. it'd be nice to have a more formally organized "program" without having to be on the research track.

They do "assign" you a faculty mentor to help guide your project. I don't know if you get to pick one or not (it would be nice if they did).

I was trying to decide between the two a while back and what ultimately slanted me towards Baylor was the three year allowance before taking the step 1 as well as the research. That three year allowance with lots of clinical exposure is designed to let you score high. For research, you might want to think about what type you're interested in. UTSW is well-known for research but it's primarily for clinical research and not basic. I intend to do the research track at Baylor, and I think I would do better at Baylor than UTSW. Plus, some of UTSW's best basic science researchers have been leaving for places like Hopkins and Stanford. As far as the SO is considered, Houston isn't that far away- what a 4 hour drive? You could make it work.

Thanks for the feedback mnemosphere, how did you find out about the basic science researchers leaving thing? And also, how do you tell which type of research is better at what school? (I'm just curious about this)

Also, I've heard the leniency for taking step 1, but isn't the step 1 all 1st and 2nd year coursework? Doesn't it have less to do with the clinical years?

All in all, I can definitely see Baylor as the more bright and shiny place (great description, I know). I suppose the biggest concern for me is the position I'll be after graduation and whether it's better at one place or the other (with my grades, test scores being equal).

I recently chose Baylor over SW after hearing the theme that Baylor is more relaxed, not just on this board but also from random baylor/sw students.

Some people seem to be unhappy with the curved grading scheme at SW, and Parkland does seem to be more stressful than Ben Taub, where students say you will do most of your learning. On the other hand, some people may argue that you're learning more during overnight stays at Parkland... depends how you interpret it. It's also nice to be done with classes at noon at baylor.

Less stress preclinical and clinical at Baylor without loss of residency competitiveness (imo) helped me make the choice.

Goodluck!

hey! sort of a weird scenario . . . i'm abroad at the moment . . but this morning i got an email from the student affairs office for the class of 2012 - saying congratulations 2008 accepted applicant! and giving the web site. however i haven't actually had any word from the admissions office . . . so i'm not sure whether to be overjoyed or to think whether this is a mistake . . . any of you get the student affairs office email before any other notice? sucks cuz today is a holiday and i have to wait till monday to call - way to ruin a weekend, i'm so nervous!!

Also, I've heard the leniency for taking step 1, but isn't the step 1 all 1st and 2nd year coursework? Doesn't it have less to do with the clinical years?

Check out this discussion. Many points on both sides have been raised. Basically, you build on key basic science concepts in clinic, so the extra reinforcement leads to better learned concepts by the time you have to take the step. Inevitably, since biochem and molecular genetics aren't used directly in clinic, some time is needed to brush up on those topics. I'd say they aren't a huge majority of questions on the exam though.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=502156

It's not only the fact that you can take Step 1 after completing a year of clinics (which imo helped a lot b/c a good chunk of my step was pathophys), but also the fact that you can time off (without any clinical obligations) to study for the step 1. You're not relegated to study during the summer b/t 2nd and 3rd years, nor are your forced to study while still being in class. I set aside 8 weeks to study and took the test after 6-7 weeks of studying and relaxed for a few more days before picking up with my rotations again.

hey! sort of a weird scenario . . . i'm abroad at the moment . . but this morning i got an email from the student affairs office for the class of 2012 - saying congratulations 2008 accepted applicant! and giving the web site. however i haven't actually had any word from the admissions office . . . so i'm not sure whether to be overjoyed or to think whether this is a mistake . . . any of you get the student affairs office email before any other notice? sucks cuz today is a holiday and i have to wait till monday to call - way to ruin a weekend, i'm so nervous!!

same thing happened here... they probably weren't able to reach you by phone... you'll receive an official letter in the mail soon. They didn't email you by mistake, though I had the same feeling too when I got that strange email... congrats!

at what time do students typically start their work on the project?

I think they said anytime during the 4 years. Dr. Phillips didn't really give an "in detail" description about it. He talked about it for maybe 1-2 minutes before we moved on to our scheduled speaker.

All I can say is that our class will be the first year where everyone is required to do it. I don't have any more info than what I told you guys already. It didn't pop out to me on their curriculum webpage so maybe it's not there or just easily visible.

Thanks for the feedback mnemosphere, how did you find out about the basic science researchers leaving thing? And also, how do you tell which type of research is better at what school? (I'm just curious about this)

*smiles* I'm also applying with my SO but he's going for grad school. He found out on his interview and told me about the professors that were leaving from UTSW. He's going to do basic research and UTSW really does not have that many high caliber scientists in that area. Many of them were former post-docs to some well-known people but they themselves are yet to be fully established. Baylor has more to offer in that area. For clinical research, you have the Doris Duke program at UTSW, but personally I'm not as interested in clinical because it involves a bunch of chart reading.

However, if you're interested in translational research, I'd definitely go for Baylor as they have one of the few HHMI funded translational research departments in the country. It's called Translational Biology and Molecular Medicine (TBMM) and sounds pretty cool.

You get a lot more time to study for it, which means you can really work on maximizing your score. When applying for residency there are few things that are going to matter more than your step, sad as that may be.

Something else to consider is that while Baylor is still working on improving their curriculum and other options (that 'scholarly concentration' thing sounds like it was lifted from Stanford) but it is more developed than Southwestern. It's true that there are other schools out there that are more developed and higher ranked than Baylor, but Baylor seems to be looking to change that in the near future. So that's something to consider as well. Hope that helps. I'm actually still deciding myself where I ultimately want to go, but in Texas, I think that Baylor is the best.

*smiles* I'm also applying with my SO but he's going for grad school. He found out on his interview and told me about the professors that were leaving from UTSW. He's going to do basic research and UTSW really does not have that many high caliber scientists in that area. Many of them were former post-docs to some well-known people but they themselves are yet to be fully established. Baylor has more to offer in that area. For clinical research, you have the Doris Duke program at UTSW, but personally I'm not as interested in clinical because it involves a bunch of chart reading.

However, if you're interested in translational research, I'd definitely go for Baylor as they have one of the few HHMI funded translational research departments in the country. It's called Translational Biology and Molecular Medicine (TBMM) and sounds pretty cool.

You get a lot more time to study for it, which means you can really work on maximizing your score. When applying for residency there are few things that are going to matter more than your step, sad as that may be.

Something else to consider is that while Baylor is still working on improving their curriculum and other options (that 'scholarly concentration' thing sounds like it was lifted from Stanford) but it is more developed than Southwestern. It's true that there are other schools out there that are more developed and higher ranked than Baylor, but Baylor seems to be looking to change that in the near future. So that's something to consider as well. Hope that helps. I'm actually still deciding myself where I ultimately want to go, but in Texas, I think that Baylor is the best.

You sound like someone I met last weekend. :) Good luck with your decision-making

Thanks for the feedback again!

Yea, Baylor seems like its a well rounded school. Really the things that are giving me pause is the friends/SO in Dallas (Not a fan of driving from Houston to Dallas for 4 years) and the fact that I've lived in Houston for most of my life. However, Baylor does have the more laid back feeling and the higher rank (I hate how I'm a slave to this).

One thing I was curious about, and might help me decide, is the Match Day results for 2008 for Baylor or UTSW. Does anyone have any info on these?

Thanks for the feedback again!

Yea, Baylor seems like its a well rounded school. Really the things that are giving me pause is the friends/SO in Dallas (Not a fan of driving from Houston to Dallas for 4 years) and the fact that I've lived in Houston for most of my life. However, Baylor does have the more laid back feeling and the higher rank (I hate how I'm a slave to this).

One thing I was curious about, and might help me decide, is the Match Day results for 2008 for Baylor or UTSW. Does anyone have any info on these?

Eh... I really, really, really, really wouldn't suggest you look at a match list. At this point in our career, it's like asking a 5-year old to pick which car you should buy. So much changes in 4 short years! We know nothing about what programs are good (Havard isn't the best at everything!) and probably the only factual thing you'll learn is that people who go to school in Texas like to stay in Texas.

Plus, with 60 less people in Baylor's class, that skews conceptions quite a bit when you might say something silly like "only 1 person got into derm!!!" :p

If anything, I would try to talk to each school's financial aid department and see if they can't give you any "incentives" to help along your decision.

Just to reiterate what therealmd said, "do not base your medical school choice on match lists." The rankings on residency programs have a great deal of subjectivity. For instance, location, community vs academic, etc. While not to deny that there are some objective components, but at your stage in the game you won't be able to extract much from them. Unless you already know your passion and have done extensive research on the best programs for your specialty.

But, just for your curiosity...Baylor's match list is posted on the pre-allo forum (of all places...lol) and you'll find that Texans love Texas.

And btw therealmd, we had 6 match into Derm this year fwiw....lol

And finally to chime in on the Baylor vs UTSW debate. The schools while of similar caliber have two vastly different learning environments.

Baylor: much more relaxed, 5-tiered grading system with no curve, less time spent in class=more independent learning, competition is among yourself, less brutal clinics (rarely are we required to take overnight call), lots of flexibility in scheduling boards, research, and time off for vacation, missions, weddings, babies, etc.

UTSW: more competitive environment in part due to grading on curve and tradition, traditional curriculum with lots of time spent in class (~8 hrs/day), students take call with residents during clinical years, less flexibility in scheduling

So take into consideration what learning environment works best for you are you more of a self-motivator or do you like to spend more time in class listening to a professor...not saying any way is better (lol), but a lot of schools tend to be leaning away from the traditional lecture, lecture, lecture. Good luck.

Eh... I really, really, really, really wouldn't suggest you look at a match list. At this point in our career, it's like asking a 5-year old to pick which car you should buy. So much changes in 4 short years! We know nothing about what programs are good (Havard isn't the best at everything!) and probably the only factual thing you'll learn is that people who go to school in Texas like to stay in Texas.

Plus, with 60 less people in Baylor's class, that skews conceptions quite a bit when you might say something silly like "only 1 person got into derm!!!" :p

If anything, I would try to talk to each school's financial aid department and see if they can't give you any "incentives" to help along your decision.

That's a great idea actually. But how does one go about asking for incentives?

"Hey...so...I got into another school that I'm interested in going...SHOW ME THE MONEY" ?

Just to reiterate what therealmd said, "do not base your medical school choice on match lists." The rankings on residency programs have a great deal of subjectivity. For instance, location, community vs academic, etc. While not to deny that there are some objective components, but at your stage in the game you won't be able to extract much from them. Unless you already know your passion and have done extensive research on the best programs for your specialty.

But, just for your curiosity...Baylor's match list is posted on the pre-allo forum (of all places...lol) and you'll find that Texans love Texas.

And btw therealmd, we had 6 match into Derm this year fwiw....lol

And finally to chime in on the Baylor vs UTSW debate. The schools while of similar caliber have two vastly different learning environments.

Baylor: much more relaxed, 5-tiered grading system with no curve, less time spent in class=more independent learning, competition is among yourself, less brutal clinics (rarely are we required to take overnight call), lots of flexibility in scheduling boards, research, and time off for vacation, missions, weddings, babies, etc.

UTSW: more competitive environment in part due to grading on curve and tradition, traditional curriculum with lots of time spent in class (~8 hrs/day), students take call with residents during clinical years, less flexibility in scheduling

So take into consideration what learning environment works best for you are you more of a self-motivator or do you like to spend more time in class listening to a professor...not saying any way is better (lol), but a lot of schools tend to be leaning away from the traditional lecture, lecture, lecture. Good luck.

I noticed. I feel odd it makes me happy inside. And I think I counted 11 in ortho! 11! Wow! I want in on this Baylor magic (cleverly disguised as hard work) :p

does anyone know what the workout facilities are like at baylor?

i read something about them on the website, but was wondering if anyone had actually seen them. maybe you could describe in relationship to what the lanesborough has in terms of diversity and number of machines.

thanks!

does anyone know what the workout facilities are like at baylor?

i read something about them on the website, but was wondering if anyone had actually seen them. maybe you could describe in relationship to what the lanesborough has in terms of diversity and number of machines.

thanks!

Yeah, I saw the description on the website too...it didn't sound like much (two treadmills...???). I know as Baylor students we get a decent deal on the UT Houston facilities at El Paseo/Knight, and it looked like a great facility from the website.