Baylor College of Medicine -- Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Topic jump,

Since most people on this thread are pretty set on going to Baylor. I was wondering what some of your most choice rejection letters have been so far. I have a pretty sweet wall of shame going on my fridge currently. The best was from Dartmouth (post secondary no interview) which went to the tune of: (please note the quote below may be slightly embellished)

"We have thoroughly reviewed your application and deemed you unfit for our school, But please DON'T KILL YOURSELF. we are sure some other school will think you are special.

Have a nice day,
Jerkface Mcgee"

:lol:

I never submitted the secondary for Texas A&M after I applied, and I just got TWO rejection emails from them. Maybe I will get something in the mail as well. I guess one just isn't good enough anymore.

I never submitted the secondary for Texas A&M after I applied, and I just got TWO rejection emails from them. Maybe I will get something in the mail as well. I guess one just isn't good enough anymore.

UTSA never even bothered to interview me. 4/5 in Texas. Oh well, their loss.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I'm going to go apartment hunting down there at the end of the month.

Riverie or others already at Baylor: Do you think I could show up at places and check them out or should i try to set up appts with locators?

you should be able to just show up, but i'd give those you're interested in a call maybe a day in advance or even the day of to get a gauge of how busy they are and to just give them a heads up.

like mlle3000 said, use apt locators if you need a guide. otherwise if you have a pretty narrow idea of what you want, then go for it yourself!

i recommend the lanesborough, but of course i'm biased. :) you can also name a current resident (;)) as your referral when you sign a lease and there's good money to be split, if you know what i mean. those offers tend to be in december though, so i dunno about now.

Besides figuring out what apartment to move into & financial aid, is there anything else we need to do between now and July?

I'm sad. I really wanted to go to the second look weekend, but it's during my spring break and I already booked a cruise. :(

I'm kind of sad I haven't been keeping my rejection letters! I've gotten at least 4...from every single out of state school I applied to. I think they're biased because I"m from texas. I should still have 5 or 6 more coming in the mail....i'll keep them and make a collage ( sp?) =)

For those of you coming to the social on the 29th....could you just send me an email at [email protected] letting me know that you're coming? (if you haven't RSVP'd on the facebook event) I'm just trying to get an estimate so I can call ahead to Tow Rows and let them know. Thanks and Gig'em! =)

how late do you guys think you'll be there?

Just wanted to make a plug for UT-Housing. I've been living in the new section for about a year and a half. I'm pretty happy with it so far. I got on the waiting list sometime in april/march, and was notified early August of an opening. I don't know if it's gotten more competitive to get in recently, but I'd imagine it would stay the same from year to year. The good things about UT housing include the price (I pay $615 for a 1/1), it's new/clean, it's pretty quiet, it's safe :)crosses fingers:) and the UTH gym right next door is excellent. The bad things: management blows (the manager in the office is a d-bag) and you have to drive your trash to the other side of the old apartments (they used to have trash trailers in the garage, but they removed those and the dumpsters are now located FAR away...almost 0.5 mile away round-trip...not a trivial distance to walk with two full garbage bags in 97 degree heat and 98% humidity).

And lastly, welcome class of 2012. If you have any questions about BCM, houston, no matter how trivial, feel free to PM me...I'm sure I've had the same questions before. I'm a third year and will be one of your anatomy TAs next year.

-stephen

Anyone know the condition of Houston roads? I don't have a car yet and am thinking about what to get. The MS1 I stayed with suggested I get a SUV because the roads are bumpy and will ruin my car eventually, but I gawk at buying so much gas with the poor MPG they often get (even if I'll only use it occasionally).

I guess it depends on your driving style. There are quite a few roads with potholes that can take out an average car going faster than the speed limit, but you quickly learn where those are (Kirby between University and 59) or you develop faster reflexes. :) Another thing to consider is that it floods a lot around the TMC, so there are some pretty sizeable puddles in the roads when it rains. I wouldn't say an SUV is necessary in Houston, but it makes driving easier. But I wouldn't let the city determine what kind of car you get.

(I happen to hate the environment and have a gas-guzzling behemoth that gets 11 mpg on a good day, but has almost a foot of ground clearance, so such things as potholes or puddles are of no concern to me. :))

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to make a plug for UT-Housing. I've been living in the new section for about a year and a half. I'm pretty happy with it so far. I got on the waiting list sometime in april/march, and was notified early August of an opening. I don't know if it's gotten more competitive to get in recently, but I'd imagine it would stay the same from year to year. The good things about UT housing include the price (I pay $615 for a 1/1), it's new/clean, it's pretty quiet, it's safe :)crosses fingers:) and the UTH gym right next door is excellent. The bad things: management blows (the manager in the office is a d-bag) and you have to drive your trash to the other side of the old apartments (they used to have trash trailers in the garage, but they removed those and the dumpsters are now located FAR away...almost 0.5 mile away round-trip...not a trivial distance to walk with two full garbage bags in 97 degree heat and 98% humidity).

And lastly, welcome class of 2012. If you have any questions about BCM, houston, no matter how trivial, feel free to PM me...I'm sure I've had the same questions before. I'm a third year and will be one of your anatomy TAs next year.

-stephen

Thanks, but I can vouch that it is too late to live there for next year. And I personally experienced the d-baggery of the manager a few weeks ago. They said if you didn't sign the waitlist the DAY it came out, which was in mid jan. you will not get an apartment next year.

I think I'm going to go apartment hunting down there at the end of the month.

Riverie or others already at Baylor: Do you think I could show up at places and check them out or should i try to set up appts with locators?

I was able to go apt hunting over the winter break and didnt have to call or make any apointments. I simply made the drive up to the med center and went down the nearby roads to see the complexes that stood out to me. However, I would call to ask them whether or not they have rooms ready to be shown because a few of the complexes could only show me rooms that were either bigger or smaller than the apt type I was interested in.... but this aside, I was still able to get a pretty good feel for the places.

ps. I really liked providence at kirby.

I was able to go apt hunting over the winter break and didnt have to call or make any apointments. I simply made the drive up to the med center and went down the nearby roads to see the complexes that stood out to me. However, I would call to ask them whether or not they have rooms ready to be shown because a few of the complexes could only show me rooms that were either bigger or smaller than the apt type I was interested in.... but this aside, I was still able to get a pretty good feel for the places.

ps. I really liked providence at kirby.

excellent thanks!

I got the Georgetown thing too. The funny thing about it, is that it says it is for minority students. I guess they didn't screen that well, as last time I checked I'm about as Anglo-Saxon as they come :p

Earlier someone mentioned that a railpass for the lightrail is free for Baylor students.

I heard that it was $0.50 a ride for Baylor students (discounted from $1.00)

How does it work and what kind of discount do we get?

Earlier someone mentioned that a railpass for the lightrail is free for Baylor students.

it used to be free my first year, but then they decided to start charging us broke students.

you apply for a student card, metro comes to school to take your picture en masse, you get said card and add money to it on machines at any station. you then flash the card in front of a reader (also located at the station) before you board and it deducts 50c.

on the bus today (using the same Q-card system), I saw a sign that pointed out that you also get "5 free rides for every 50 paid ones." So I guess in addition to 50% off, you get a ~10% reward program? How exciting.

Cheaper than paying $60+/month for parking. :(

My question is how expensive are the park and ride lots off of 610 near the rail? If its $30 or more a month then it doesn't beat parking in the med center with a $1 round trip rail ride per day. My wife and I plan on getting a house since we have dogs and most of the apartments on the rail are nearly the price of a moderate mortgage. Maybe I should invest in a scooter rather than a new car.

So after my rejection letter from georgetown they sent the following:

Dear 2008 Applicant, Georgetown will accept applications for the 2008 Georgetown University Experimental Medical Studies Program (GEMS).......

sounds sketchy.....

same here. seriously, Georgetown? i was thinking about putting some of my neighbors dogs' "finest work" along with the application into a shoebox and sending it in...

So I need to find out tonight whether im gonna go to this Accepted Applicants weekend at the end of spring break.

How useful/fun is this typically? Do lots of people usually attend?

Its either go to this weekend, or stay at the grand canyon/las vegas for an extra 3-4 days. I can't decide!!

So I need to find out tonight whether im gonna go to this Accepted Applicants weekend at the end of spring break.

How useful/fun is this typically? Do lots of people usually attend?

Its either go to this weekend, or stay at the grand canyon/las vegas for an extra 3-4 days. I can't decide!!

if i were you, i'd prolong my last spring break by staying in whatever party zone you'll be in.

i went 3 years ago (has it been that long?!) and there were only 12 kids there, half of whom didn't end up at baylor anyway. we had breakfast, listened to a realtor talk about properties, were told about how to become a texas resident, were taken on a clinical tour, got to hang out with a few faculty and med students, and had a great lunch at trevisio's (fancy italian restaurant in the med center.) then some 4th years offered to take us on a tour of houston on a tourbus to check out housing areas. if you think you'd really benefit from that, go, but it's nothing you can't find out on your own. i took the chance to fly to houston for free to check out apartments and get on the waitlist.

oh and if you decide to go, wear business casual. i made the mistake of going in jeans. my bad, i was already in the mindset of a basic science student. :oops: :p

oh and if you decide to go, wear business casual. i made the mistake of going in jeans. my bad, i was already in the mindset of a basic science student. :oops: :p

So you're the reason why they gave us a guideline on how to dress for each event! They even require guys to wear a tie and slacks at the "keynote". :laugh:

Does BCM have a roommate matching service? Anyone looking for a male roommate? Utilities make living alone expensive!

So you're the reason why they gave us a guideline on how to dress for each event! They even require guys to wear a tie and slacks at the "keynote". :laugh:

well, they should have warned me! :laugh:

i think the day was a lot less structured when i went -- we definitely did not have a "keynote"!

Yea their lofts were pretty slick. Would be nice to set up a study in the top.

Yet we decided to go with Lanesborough

Comparisons on Greenbriar vs. Lanesborough (for those that have visited both)? I go there in 2 weeks.

I visited both and decided on Lanesborough. The drawback i saw for lanesborough was they don't allow pets. But comparing the 2 bedrooms between the two places, the ones at lanesborough were larger and slightly cheaper. I didn't look at the 1 bedrooms though so it could be different with those. Lanesborough is a MUCH bigger apartment complex than greenbriar, so if you get ina building that is far away from the rail it might take a few minutes to walk. Greenbriar is a smaller complex, so pretty much all of the buildings are really close to the rail.

i think it depends on what your needs are. i was looking for a one bedroom place and liked the layout of the 770 and 915 (like 770 but with loft) sq ft. apartments much better at greenbriar. they're open so they don't feel small. i also didn't like the hugeness of the lanesborough complex. it felt too much like the those gigantic college places on riverside in austin for my taste.

the apartments at lanesborough were nice though. they look new.

as maura said, greenbriar is a much smaller community, so if you decide on it you want to get things rolling fast for the priority waitlist.

here's some information about student parking (on and off campus lots) if you're driving in from afar.

Commuter Services:
Office Located Nabisco – O100
Office Hours Monday – Friday
7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Contact Marilyn Boykin, Parking Coordinator
Phone (713) 798-PARK (713) 798-7275
Email commuter 'at' bcm.edu

Garage Parking (Except G10)
$157.50 per month
Garage 10
$149.50 per month
**TMC Availability**

POP Program
$38.50 per month
**G1, G2, G4, G6, G7, G10, Nabisco**
4:30 p.m. to 8:00 a.m.

Payment is paid directly to TMC

South Extension
Services Main Baylor, Ben Taub, TCH and TMH
$59.50 per month
Plus Tax

Smithland's
Services Smith, Scurlock and Medical Towers, Herman, TCH, TMH and St. Luke's
$59.50 per month
Plus Tax

TMC handles all students parking

Students should print the TMC Contract Form (Located on the Commuter Website) and call the TMC Parking Office (713-791-6161) for further instructions.

Students will be set up for direct billing thru TMC (These individuals can only be offered a direct account, which they will be responsible for paying TMC bill monthly)

See attached pictures for a map of parking lots and shuttle info. If they are too small (dang size limits,) PM me and I'll email them to you.

Attachments

• Parking 1.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 164
  • Parking 2.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 157
  • Parking 3.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 164
Parking at $60-160 a month? Now was there ever a greater reason for me to live along the light rail?

ok i just received the minority acceptees weekend itinerary (they are asking for student hosts) and wow, lemme just say that the OOS acceptee weekend was way more lowkey than that and only lasted a day! this one is 2.5 days long!! geez they really are recruiting you guys hard.

Comparisons on Greenbriar vs. Lanesborough (for those that have visited both)? I go there in 2 weeks.

Greenbriar: Older apartments and more expensive. Loft style apartment was bad ***. They allow both dogs and cats. Lots more "hidden" fees (trash pickup fee, parking, special ammenities you might be "forced" to have like wood floors and nicer countertops etc).

Lanesborough: A lot newer, and in my opinion nicer. Cheaper, especially if they are running a special when you sign your lease, which could be like $100 a month off your rent. Only allow cats. Less hidden fees, ceiling fans in every apartment, and free security systems.

Greenbriar: Older apartments and more expensive. Loft style apartment was bad ***. They allow both dogs and cats. Lots more "hidden" fees (trash pickup fee, parking, special ammenities you might be "forced" to have like wood floors and nicer countertops etc).

Lanesborough: A lot newer, and in my opinion nicer. Cheaper, especially if they are running a special when you sign your lease, which could be like $100 a month off your rent. Only allow cats. Less hidden fees, ceiling fans in every apartment, and free security systems.

Thanks. That was really helpful.

Oh and Lanesborough has a veeery nice gym facility, with sauna and everything. Greenbriar has a "meh" gym with a few weights.

Oh and Lanesborough has a veeery nice gym facility, with sauna and everything. Greenbriar has a "meh" gym with a few weights.

I didn't think that it was that great. There were just a few more cardio and weight machines.

If you like raquetball or the sauna, then Lanesborough is for you.

Have you picked where you are going to live yet? Just want to get an idea.

I went with Lanesborough. We just decided it was a better buy, but it was a tough decision.

Seems like so many people are already married.... interesting.