Baylor College of Medicine -- Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, I saw the description on the website too...it didn't sound like much (two treadmills...???). I know as Baylor students we get a decent deal on the UT Houston facilities at El Paseo/Knight, and it looked like a great facility from the website.

it is pretty nice. i interviewed at UTH and they showed it to us on the tour. tons of treadmills and cardio machines with tvs. plus, they have a heated pool that you can use year-round too.

it'll end up costing around 4 times what it would cost to use the baylor facilities though.

Members don't see this ad.

have any of you heard anything about anyone getting offered scholarships (non-need based) yet? It says on the website that they are offered during the admissions process, but I havent really heard anything about it yet.

it is pretty nice. i interviewed at UTH and they showed it to us on the tour. tons of treadmills and cardio machines with tvs. plus, they have a heated pool that you can use year-round too.

it'll end up costing around 4 times what it would cost to use the baylor facilities though.

While UT's gym does cost more that Baylor's, it's still a pretty good deal. I think I paid $54 (discounted) for three months with no activation, processing, or any other fees that national gyms charge you. And you can renew on a 1, 3, or 12 month basis. Also, its important to consider the fact that parking is less than ideal at Baylor, and that may affect you workout schedule. You'll either have to pay to park, go to the gym after 6pm to park free in the limited spots in front the school, bring a change of clothes, or ride the metro home sweaty (least appealing..lol). OTOH, I can drive to UT anytime of day, work out, and drive home.

Members don't see this ad :)
While UT's gym does cost more that Baylor's, it's still a pretty good deal. I think I paid $54 (discounted) for three months with no activation, processing, or any other fees that national gyms charge you. And you can renew on a 1, 3, or 12 month basis. Also, its important to consider the fact that parking is less than ideal at Baylor, and that may affect you workout schedule. You'll either have to pay to park, go to the gym after 6pm to park free in the limited spots in front the school, bring a change of clothes, or ride the metro home sweaty (least appealing..lol). OTOH, I can drive to UT anytime of day, work out, and drive home.

good advice! thanks.

$54 does sound like a good deal. that's less than what's quoted on their website. i think they were saying like $150/quarter.

good advice! thanks.

$54 does sound like a good deal. that's less than what's quoted on their website. i think they were saying like $150/quarter.

On the website it says $64/quarter for individual TMC students, the $160 quote is for the family package. The $54 I paid was a new year's special.

seriously, don't waste time/money with the baylor gym unless you plan on living at favrot, or working out in between cramming/study sessions at school. i'd say their equipment is comparable to lanesborough's. the UT gym is more value for money.

have any of you heard anything about anyone getting offered scholarships (non-need based) yet? It says on the website that they are offered during the admissions process, but I havent really heard anything about it yet.

I'm curious about this as well.

Also, I'm going to be in Houston second week of April for a couple of days and wanted to check out apartments. I am car-less so I was thinking of calling up some realtors. I saw a few links to realtors on the Baylor site, any recommendations?

I'm curious about this as well.

Also, I'm going to be in Houston second week of April for a couple of days and wanted to check out apartments. I am car-less so I was thinking of calling up some realtors. I saw a few links to realtors on the Baylor site, any recommendations?

Suzanne Nemon is the realtor that helped us view apartments during our Accepted Applicants Weekend. She knows the area pretty well and what med students are pretty interested in (close to the light rail, places for groceries, etc...). I'd suggest hurrying up in looking for an apartment. UTH is having it's Accepted Applicants Weekend this weekend, which means a bunch of people running around looking at apartments. Getting on a waitlist much longer after that can put you in serious jeopardy of getting an apartment to live in!

Here's her contact info if you want it. She works for Apartment Locators.

Suzanne Nemon
713-838-0229
[email protected]

In other news, our class website has been updated to include info about our White Coat Ceremony and Family Day in early August (specifically weekend of Aug. 16th). Oh, and May 1st is when we need to mail in our deposit securing our spots! I almost forgot in the mist of everything!

Suzanne Nemon is the realtor that helped us view apartments during our Accepted Applicants Weekend. She knows the area pretty well and what med students are pretty interested in (close to the light rail, places for groceries, etc...). I'd suggest hurrying up in looking for an apartment. UTH is having it's Accepted Applicants Weekend this weekend, which means a bunch of people running around looking at apartments. Getting on a waitlist much longer after that can put you in serious jeopardy of getting an apartment to live in!

Here's her contact info if you want it. She works for Apartment Locators.

Suzanne Nemon
713-838-0229
[email protected]

In other news, our class website has been updated to include info about our White Coat Ceremony and Family Day in early August (specifically weekend of Aug. 16th). Oh, and May 1st is when we need to mail in our deposit securing our spots! I almost forgot in the mist of everything!

Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to call her up. Thanks for the heads up on the UTH weekend as well. I didn't know realty in Houston was so high in demand but I guess it makes sense with a couple of med schools in the area.

I thought the $300 deposit was due May 15?

congrats therealmd, that is a sick scholarship!! has anyone else on the forum rec'd a scholarship at BCM for the class of 2012? anyways, good job everyone on getting ure finaid stuff turned in. im having trouble turning in my finaid stuff b/c my parents have not done their taxes yet :(

Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to call her up. Thanks for the heads up on the UTH weekend as well. I didn't know realty in Houston was so high in demand but I guess it makes sense with a couple of med schools in the area.

I thought the $300 deposit was due May 15?

I must have gotten my dates mixed up. Yeah, I think it's May 15th. Thing is, the form that had that was mailed to Baylor a long time ago.

congrats therealmd, that is a sick scholarship!! has anyone else on the forum rec'd a scholarship at BCM for the class of 2012? anyways, good job everyone on getting ure finaid stuff turned in. im having trouble turning in my finaid stuff b/c my parents have not done their taxes yet :(

Thanks, I wasn't really expecting much, if anything. UT gave me a big fat $0! I called the financial aid office today to see where my app was, and they said people should be hearing back from them before May 15th (that's when it's due).

I'd suggest hurrying up in looking for an apartment. UTH is having it's Accepted Applicants Weekend this weekend, which means a bunch of people running around looking at apartments. Getting on a waitlist much longer after that can put you in serious jeopardy of getting an apartment to live in!

Yeah, thanks for the info! I did not know that.

I'm also in the position where my parents have yet to do their taxes, despite the hounding. Fortunately, the financial aid office said that they're not supposed to be first come first serve the first year, it's only after that where you need to get your stuff in early.

I got one of the scholarships! And to be honest, it's one of the main things swaying me from UCSF and Stanford at the moment because when you look at their average indebtedness there's not a big difference between them.

And I know people say that 'Houston is cheap', but it's not that cheap. At UCSF you can live in a one-bedroom (university housing) for $1300 a month including most of your utilities. In Houston it's almost $1100 for a decent one without utilities! The reality is that in UCSF this housing is university owned and thus kept lower than average and at Baylor all the close housing is expensive because of the great location. Yet... I'm from Texas and would like to stay around. But yes... enough on that.:oops:

And on another note, a not insignificant number of the people at the Accepted Applicants Weekend (who I imagine got scholarships) were sitting on acceptances at some big name places like Hopkins and Yale. Anyway, make what you will of that.

You don't need to wait for your parents to turn it in. Just turn your stuff in and your parents' can come later.

Members don't see this ad :)
At UCSF you can live in a one-bedroom (university housing) for $1300 a month including most of your utilities. In Houston it's almost $1100 for a decent one without utilities! The reality is that in UCSF this housing is university owned and thus kept lower than average and at Baylor all the close housing is expensive because of the great location. Yet... I'm from Texas and would like to stay around. But yes... enough on that.:oops:

i beg to differ. my very decently-sized, off-campus, on-the-rail-line one bedroom was $710 3 years ago. the market rate for it has gone up about $150 since, but that's nowhere near $1100!

i beg to differ. my very decently-sized, off-campus, on-the-rail-line one bedroom was $710 3 years ago. the market rate for it has gone up about $150 since, but that's nowhere near $1100!

Well, then I'd be very interested in knowing where you live! The price I'm quoting here is from the Greenbriar and Lanesborough rates that I got.

Well, then I'd be very interested in knowing where you live! The price I'm quoting here is from the Greenbriar and Lanesborough rates that I got.

Eh.. Greenbriar and Lanesborough cost $875 and $920 (with $50 off each month if you sign up early enough) respectively.

Eh.. Greenbriar and Lanesborough cost $875 and $920 (with $50 off each month if you sign up early enough) respectively.

That's only if the lowest one they have is available... which may not be the case. I don't think it's good to count on getting those however, just to be safe.

You can also go to har.com and look at condos for rent, which run between $700-$900 for a decent 1 br and most come with basic cable and water. I place I have now in condoland is $675 for 729 sq ft. Tack on ~$160 for utilities (electricity, internet, digital cable + DVR). Also with the deregulation of electric providers you can shop around for a real good deal.

Any way you slice it, I think living in Houston is much cheaper than SF.

Oh yea, and don't just look at housing, you also have to pay for food, gas, entertainment...all of which are cheaper here.

what's the average you guys pay for electricity in a 1/1 or 2/2?

I'm also in the position where my parents have yet to do their taxes, despite the hounding. Fortunately, the financial aid office said that they're not supposed to be first come first serve the first year, it's only after that where you need to get your stuff in early.

so for this incoming class, it's not first come first serve? can anyone verify that?

so for this incoming class, it's not first come first serve? can anyone verify that?

that was the gist i got from the financial aid office when i called. the woman i spoke to said that all MS1s could expect their packets after May 15th. she said i *might* receive something before since my info was in but her tone made me doubt that.

that was the gist i got from the financial aid office when i called. the woman i spoke to said that all MS1s could expect their packets after May 15th. she said i *might* receive something before since my info was in but her tone made me doubt that.

so what are we supposed to do if we are comparing finaid offers between schools and we won't get anything from bcm before may 15th?

also, does anyone know if they are still giving out merit scholarships? (crossing my fingers!)

so what are we supposed to do if we are comparing finaid offers between schools and we won't get anything from bcm before may 15th?

also, does anyone know if they are still giving out merit scholarships? (crossing my fingers!)

maybe you could call and see what they suggest. the woman i spoke with was really nice. maybe they can give you an estimate.

what's the average you guys pay for electricity in a 1/1 or 2/2?

It depends on which energy provider you use and their rates. But I did calculated that I paid an average of $80/month over 2007. My bill varied from $40-$60 throught most of late fall/winter/early spring. It shot up as it got hotter with sumer bills usually $120-$150 depending on how cool you keep your house. This is for a 1/1 with Reliant Energy. I know have Spark Energy and they are a lot cheaper.

www.powertochoose.org is pretty helpful in deciding which provider to go with.

They haven't given out any merit scholarships yet. Those supposedly come with our financial aid package.

They haven't given out any merit scholarships yet. Those supposedly come with our financial aid package.

Your MDApps says you received scholarship from Baylor. Congrats! Was that merit or need-based?

Your MDApps says you received scholarship from Baylor. Congrats! Was that merit or need-based?

Minority scholarship. Merit and need-based scholarships come with our financial aid packages sometime in May.

I was a Fine Arts Major in college. Does that count as a minority? ^_~

wow...i just got offered a scholarship. im absolutely stunned!!!

Congrats wing14,

merit, minority, or need based?

So I got my official scholarship e-mail today and apparently when Dr. Phillips said $12,000, he meant PER YEAR.

TheRealMD is a very happy camper. :D

wow...i just got offered a scholarship. im absolutely stunned!!!

Me too! I had just about convinced myself I was going to leave the state, and then they blow me away with this offer. Eeeeeeeeeeeeee. <- squeal

Me too! I had just about convinced myself I was going to leave the state, and then they blow me away with this offer. Eeeeeeeeeeeeee. <- squeal

With interest that's almost a 2X savings, so keep that in mind. Imagine being a resident with NO debt. No more ramen! That would be AWESOME!

Congratulations! :)

Congrats to everyone! Hopefully there will be more to be doled out? I guess I'll just have to wait until financial aid packages come along...

By the way, merit scholarships aren't part of the financial aid package (FAFSA) stuff, right? So there could be more stuff dished out? When did you guys complete your financial aid application. I would hope more people free money, especially those that didn't find out anything today!

Congrats on the scholarships! I received an email today about a 4 year scholarship too!
Barring any amazing offers from other schools, looks like I may be headed to Texas!

did you guys find out by phone call?

Email, and they said it would be made official in snail mail soon.

And according to the email, therealmd is right, this has nothing to do with FAFSA/financial aid and does not prevent us from whatever comes out of that.

I just called the financial aid office to make sure they had all of my paperwork. The lady seemed kind of annoyed...I guess she's been getting alot of these phone calls. She told me that they are still working on this school year's financial aid and that the first years would be first come first serve after that. She told me they would try to get it around May or June. Is it just me or is that ridiculous?

I just called the financial aid office to make sure they had all of my paperwork. The lady seemed kind of annoyed...I guess she's been getting alot of these phone calls. She told me that they are still working on this school year's financial aid and that the first years would be first come first serve after that. She told me they would try to get it around May or June. Is it just me or is that ridiculous?

It's pretty ridiculous. The apparently lost my FAFSA so I spent quite a bit of time worrying about how to get them the confirmation number so they could retrieve it.

May or June?! I was hoping to make my decision based on financial aid and whatnot. I hope they're able to give out estimates or something.

Though I suppose it's better than UCSD that gives out financial info in August.

So anyone know if they are handing out any more minority/merit scholarships and when?

I really could use the $$

So has anyone gotten financial aid yet? Just ready a post in the Pre allo area of a guy choosing between penn and baylor and he said bcm gave him a great package. I thought they weren't going to give it out until later.

So has anyone gotten financial aid yet? Just ready a post in the Pre allo area of a guy choosing between penn and baylor and he said bcm gave him a great package. I thought they weren't going to give it out until later.

that's the first i've heard of it. maybe he got a scholarship, not THE package?

EDIT: the OP in that thread is from 2003.

Did everyone get the email about the 2nd look event? What is that exactly? I thought the official 2nd look weekend was over already.