Baylor College of Medicine -- Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So has anyone gotten financial aid yet? Just ready a post in the Pre allo area of a guy choosing between penn and baylor and he said bcm gave him a great package. I thought they weren't going to give it out until later.

For extremely smart people, no one bothered to look at the date.

First thing you do in a forum is look at the date!!! :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Did everyone get the email about the 2nd look event? What is that exactly? I thought the official 2nd look weekend was over already.

That was for minority students/international students. Now the rest of us get a chance to see it again! =p

I wooooonder what the activities shall be. I'm probably going to go because I desperately need help making this decision. Ack!

So anyone know if they are handing out any more minority/merit scholarships and when?

I really could use the $$

anyone know if more merit aid will go out?

also, how big of a deal is the 2nd look weekend for baylor? im super torn, bc its the same weekend as northwestern which i already signed up for. anyone else in the same situation?

Members don't see this ad :)
That was for minority students/international students. Now the rest of us get a chance to see it again! =p

I wooooonder what the activities shall be. I'm probably going to go because I desperately need help making this decision. Ack!

What? Aww. I wanted to go again with the rest of the class! :(

wait, i'm confused. when did you guys get a second look email? I never got any after the "congrats" email long ago. (not international or minority here). it's not on their recently updated 2012 website either.

so im really angry bc i cant go to second look for a somewhat silly reason..im going to a concert that evening :( i really hope that i know where im going to med school by then.

anyone know if more merit aid will go out?

also, how big of a deal is the 2nd look weekend for baylor? im super torn, bc its the same weekend as northwestern which i already signed up for. anyone else in the same situation?

It doesn't look as formal as some others. It basically asked us what we wanted them to talk about and also it seems that it's just on May 2nd, so not so much a weekend event.

I was kinda hoping it would be more of an organized shindig like Southwestern's 2nd look was, but we'll see I suppose. I also happen to have an event in San Antonio that day, so I'm not sure if I'll be going. Does anyone know what it will be like or what it was like last year?

Congrats to everyone who received scholarships! That's awesome!

Speaking of financial issues (and I apologize if this has been answered already - haven't read all the posts), does any one know what that $6,000+ in books and supplies is supposed to cover? Are we REALLY going to buy more than $6,000 worth of supplies? That seems like an awful lot :(

I'm just trying to get an idea of how much this is all really going to cost...

Congrats to everyone who received scholarships! That's awesome!

Speaking of financial issues (and I apologize if this has been answered already - haven't read all the posts), does any one know what that $6,000+ in books and supplies is supposed to cover? Are we REALLY going to buy more than $6,000 worth of supplies? That seems like an awful lot :(

I'm just trying to get an idea of how much this is all really going to cost...

I'm a 4th year here, and while there have been changes to the curriculum since I went through it (I think they're not doing syllabi anymore, or at the very least you have to pay for them), you can get away with buying as much or as little as you want. Just depends on how many books you need to own. Plus there will be lots of 2nd-4th years at Baylor who'd be happy to sell you their books, and I'm sure some would be willing to part with their old syllabi and y'all could borrow and take to kinko's and share. Most of what you need to learn is gonna be in class, and then on top of that you're probably going to want to own the Robbins path book, your favorite anatomy book, and the Junqueira histology book. Other than that, you'll just buy a couple review books and you're probably good to go. Probably well under $1,000, and I'm willing to bet that if you buy some good used books, you could do it for under $3-400.

Now in terms of supplies, you'll need a stethoscope. I really would avoid buying an oto/opthalmoscope since most of the exam rooms at the hospitals have them and you're only going to do ENT/eye exams on pediatrics. And if you decide you're going to be ENT or ophtho, you're going to want a better scope than what you'll buy now. Stethoscopes can cost anywhere from $20 to $350, depending on how good of one you want. I would get one of the basic Littman stethoscopes that are about $60 (this is something you can cruise eBay for and maybe get a bit of a bargain). Obviously, the more you spend, the better the scope will be, but it's good training to learn to listen for murmurs with the "less good" listening apparatus. They'll give you a free reflex hammer at White Coat ceremony, and it's the one I used - if you go into Neuro, you'll buy one of fancy ones, but again, no point in having one for basic med student work. The Alumni Association pays for your white coat and patch. And do NOT, I repeat, do NOT buy scrubs. Upperclassmen will hand down scrubs (they're collecting them in student affairs as we speak) so you'll have some for Match Day, and you will steal several pairs from the various hospitals (TCH and St. Luke's are the best sources) during your career as a med student. The only other supplies I can think of are whether you need to buy a new computer (I highly recommend a laptop if you are buying)...

Welcome to Baylor folks! You are part of a very select and special group. Every year since I started, the students have only gotten stronger, and the percentage of people the school accepts who matriculate has only gotten higher. It really is a great, great place, and they'll take great care of you - and best of all, whatever you want to do, they'll make sure you get to do it.

About housing (from a few pages back):

I love where I live (City Plaza). It's about a 10-12 minute walk to the rail, or you could bike or (maybe, not sure) take a bus. I found my place on www.har.com, so I definitely second the recommendation to look on there.

My realtor was Sheila Wright - I liked her. Her website is: http://www.sheilawrightrealtor.com/

I pay my monthly mortgage payment (about $440/month), plus about $210/month in property taxes, $200 in HOA fees (includes maintenance, cable, pool, gym, etc.. And the pool is great!), anywhere from $40-$130 for electricity/month depending on the time of year (I have green mountain energy - yay wind power!), and about $10/month for water. That's an average total of about $935/month, not a lot more than you'd pay at Lanesborough or elsewhere, and at the end you get to sell it!

These prices are all for a 1/1. Your mortgage payment may vary dramatically depending on how much your place costs (obviously :) ), how much money you have for a down payment, your interest rate, etc.

I think it's a pretty good time to buy right now actually, since so many people are trying to sell and there are a lot of foreclosures. My place was a foreclosure. It's a little sad for the person who used to live there, but the bank owned it long before I got involved. There are some good deals to be had, I think.

I was also out of state, and now I'll be in state. So that's a big savings.

Just wanted to say hello! I just got my phone call a few hours ago and am pretty excited. Now to decide between Baylor and Penn-- if you have advice please PM me! I don't want to hijack the thread...

Just wanted to say hello! I just got my phone call a few hours ago and am pretty excited. Now to decide between Baylor and Penn-- if you have advice please PM me! I don't want to hijack the thread...

1. Baylor is cheaper
2. Baylor is $16,700 per year cheaper if your out of state than Penn thats $66,800 less over all
3. Baylor is $30,700 per year cheaper in state than Penn. $122,800 less over all :eek:
4. Houston has a lower cost of living than Philly.
5. It does not snow in Houston
6. Penn. is a top ten research school now, Baylor (13) will be when you graduate (Just got a $100 million endowment to recruit top scientists)
7. Baylor is a top ten primary care school Penn is 31
8. did I mention Baylor is cheaper

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

I just realized that I haven't declined my UTSW acceptance yet. Does anyone know how to do it?

1. Baylor is cheaper
2. Baylor is $16,700 per year cheaper if your out of state than Penn thats $66,800 less over all
3. Baylor is $30,700 per year cheaper in state than Penn. $122,800 less over all :eek:
4. Houston has a lower cost of living than Philly.
5. It does not snow in Houston
6. Penn. is a top ten research school now, Baylor (13) will be when you graduate (Just got a $100 million endowment to recruit top scientists)
7. Baylor is a top ten primary care school Penn is 31
8. did I mention Baylor is cheaper

9.Can't eat good Tex Mex or find a restaurant that will serve catfish and grits in Philly. :smuggrin:

I think we all know how highly this ranks in importance.

10. Baylor is cheaper.

Hey everyone,

I just realized that I haven't declined my UTSW acceptance yet. Does anyone know how to do it?

You can contact tmdsas... alternatively, you can call the utsw admissions office and demand a full scholarship while cursing...

^
You will also probably need to send some thing in writing to make it official.

Hey y'all,

I got into Baylor a couple of months ago, but I just found out about this forum. Looking forward to seeing y'all in a couple of months.

On another topic, I had a roommate lined up in Houston for next year but his plans are changing now and I'm looking for a new one. Is anyone still looking for a roommate (male) next year? If not, do y'all know where I can find one?

Thanks

Hey y'all,

I got into Baylor a couple of months ago, but I just found out about this forum. Looking forward to seeing y'all in a couple of months.

On another topic, I had a roommate lined up in Houston for next year but his plans are changing now and I'm looking for a new one. Is anyone still looking for a roommate (male) next year? If not, do y'all know where I can find one?

Thanks

I probably am. Only fear I have is rooming with someone and we don't "click". :(

I probably am. Only fear I have is rooming with someone and we don't "click". :(

that's a pretty valid fear though.

(not implying anything about thevelourfog or anything. i'm sure he's great. you can't really know someone's personality/cleaning habits/lifestyle until you live with them.)

Just saying hi to citgosign and thevelourfrog! Can't wait to meet you!

It was a nice ride while it lasted, but I'm going to be withdrawing my acceptance from Baylor...sorry I couldn't meet all of you! You guys will have a great time at Baylor!

In the meantime, I'm still trying to decide between UTSW, Emory, and Pitt...anyone have any suggestions?

It was a nice ride while it lasted, but I'm going to be withdrawing my acceptance from Baylor...sorry I couldn't meet all of you! You guys will have a great time at Baylor!

In the meantime, I'm still trying to decide between UTSW, Emory, and Pitt...anyone have any suggestions?

Still Baylor. :laugh:

I ignored rankings and went wherever was cheapest. A lot of it comes from the HUGE Houston vs. Dallas bias anyway.

I would go with Emory and Pitt if you're absolutely dead-set against Baylor. But anyone who told you this school doesn't baby you was having a bad day or being tongue-in-cheek - we are so ridiculously babied here, to the point that residents from other schools continually whine about it. Probably Pitt, just because Grady scares the heck out of me (as does Parkland).

hey! i'm looking to move into lanesborough/greenbriar in june or july - do you recommend getting on multiple waitlists? or would one be enough? also, for june or july?
thanks!

So... am I the only one who got the financial aid email with basically everyone who got accepted thus far's name, and in some instances undergrad institution, in the "sent to" field?

yup..they forgot to BCC...

I didn't get that email from financial aid and I am an accepted student...huh :confused:

What did it say? Can someone post the financial aid message hear please? :oops:

Thanks and I look forward to meeting some of you at Second Look!

I didn't get that email from financial aid and I am an accepted student...huh :confused:

What did it say? Can someone post the financial aid message hear please? :oops:

Thanks and I look forward to meeting some of you at Second Look!

^^^ this. :eek:

all i got was something about second look, which I'm not even going to.

So... am I the only one who got the financial aid email with basically everyone who got accepted thus far's name, and in some instances undergrad institution, in the "sent to" field?

Great, now I can stalk you all. :laugh::laugh:

Mind tallying up schools? I have a sneaking suspicion that Rice is super buddy-buddy with Baylor. :D

Mind tallying up schools? I have a sneaking suspicion that Rice is super buddy-buddy with Baylor. :D

18 with rice email Addresses. So easily 10 percent.

my class entered with something like 45/170 from Rice!

hey! i'm looking to move into lanesborough/greenbriar in june or july - do you recommend getting on multiple waitlists? or would one be enough? also, for june or july?
thanks!

I would talk to the leasing offices and ask them how long the waitlists are currently and how good your chances of getting an apartment are. I think if you get on a waitlist now you shouldn't have a problem getting something. I got on only one waitlist of the two complexes you mentioned around this time of year and I had no problem. I started my lease in mid-July.

I knew it! They're in cahootz! Where's the longhorn love? :(

Here is some

longhornlovero8.png

Here's something to look forward to in the fall. It seems BCM is starting a Mentoring program for the incoming first years. Maybe they finally got tired of being bugged by third years who still don't know what they want to be when they grow up. :p

In any case, they're asking us current students to nominate faculty whom we'd think would be good mentors. I've submitted a few ideas. :) You can thank me later. :laugh:

Here's something to look forward to in the fall. It seems BCM is starting a Mentoring program for the incoming first years. Maybe they finally got tired of being bugged by third years who still don't know what they want to be when they grow up. :p

In any case, they're asking us current students to nominate faculty whom we'd think would be good mentors. I've submitted a few ideas. :) You can thank me later. :laugh:

that sounds awesome. :thumbup:

At first, I read that email and thought they were asking US to be mentors. I was touched.

Then I realized that BCM would never subject MS1's to our misguidance.

But seriously, it does sound like a good idea. I'm sure the doctors who get picked/volunteer will be awesome.

dunno if this has been answered yet (probably has), but ive searched sdn and read the texas residency requirements and wanted to know if its possible to become a resident for MSII-IV if my MSI is OOS. if so, is there ANY way i could do it w/out owning property (im really broke and skeptical of any houses i would be able to afford...) thanks guys

dunno if this has been answered yet (probably has), but ive searched sdn and read the texas residency requirements and wanted to know if its possible to become a resident for MSII-IV if my MSI is OOS. if so, is there ANY way i could do it w/out owning property (im really broke and skeptical of any houses i would be able to afford...) thanks guys

I called them about this, and the lady who takes care of this basically said the only other way to do this without owning property is to be employed for one year in TX, but you cannot be going to school at the same time. So basically you'd have to dropout for a year (I wonder if she meant defer?), work for that year, and then you become a resident.

Also, with the owning property thing, you'd have to close on a place before Aug 31, 2008.

In both cases, you have to change drivers license, have your car registered in TX, all that fun stuff, etc.

I would call the admissions office for further clarification.

I thought most people buy condos for that kind of stuff?

I'm from out-of-state (StL, MO) and I'm planning on buying a condo :). My current past-time is researching real estate (mostly www.har.com). If anyone else happens to be moving from the area, message me--we might be able to coordinate moving so we could split the cost of one truck. (moving is expensive!)

I haven't posted before, but I've read through the thread and there has been a lot of useful information--so thank you guys!

I'll be in town for the Second Look on May 2nd!

I got my financial aid package today. Really now $4,200 for books in a year? Do they have gold binding or something? Can a current med student chime in on the budget they give us?

take one 0 off that number and you might spend that amount, if that. i'd say no more than $1000, even if you went crazy.

agreed. The number of books needed has gone way up in the past few years, but still, $4200 is pretty crazy. I'd say plan for ~$600 if you're reasonable and buy a few used or with 20% off from B&N/Borders, etc.