Baylor College of Medicine -- Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What can anyone tell me about Greenbriar apartments?

they're just across the street from the lanesborough. however, the apartments are older and smaller, yet inexplicably, cost more to rent. the gym is also less equipped.

Members don't see this ad.

Someone at Greenbriar just got broken into and robbed while I was at home for break :-(

Wow, sorry to hear about your friend...

Yes, Houston is not known for its safety, so you guys should take care. And buy at least one large gun. We all carry guns. ;)

I've also heard not-so-good things about greenbriar. Definitely older and smaller than Lanesborough and they're basically across the street from each other...

There are also some condos to consider (Valencia, Braeswood Park, 7575 Kirby) that are not in Condoland.

Members don't see this ad :)
Random question:

So I am working on my financial aid stuff and on the checklist it says we need to do the following:

Entrance Online Interview
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]This interview is to be completed by all first time Federal Stafford Loan borrowers at Baylor College of Medicine.

I can't find this for the life of me. Does anyone know if it becomes available later on or what?

Thanks

Financial Aid Question:

I was a dependent throughout college, but I am paying for medical school. So, in order to fill out a FAFSA do I become an independent? If my parents paid for my college in 2007, I have to be their dependent for the tax information for the FAFSA, right? Can I still not include my parents information on the FAFSA?

I am rather confused with this stuff. The end of my financial dependence is approaching quickly. Anybody in the same boat as me?

I am too Brutus, very confused, but I am starting to understand things a little better. If you are starting medical school next fall, then you ARE an INdependent to the government. You would only fill out parents stuff on the FAFSA if you think you could qualify for need based aid, like if your parents have been struggling to pay for your undergrad, or anything like that. I have been reading the SDN Med School Admissions guide, and it has lots of info about financial aid and what not. Kind of helpful.

Yeah I'm with you guys...this financial aid stuff is sooo confusing. So do we have to fill out all this stuff before scholarships can be decided? I'm assuming for need based ones we would right? Also are any of you guys thinking about finding a roommate before starting or are you just going to live by yourself for the first year?

Random question:

So I am working on my financial aid stuff and on the checklist it says we need to do the following:

Entrance Online Interview
[FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]This interview is to be completed by all first time Federal Stafford Loan borrowers at Baylor College of Medicine.

I can't find this for the life of me. Does anyone know if it becomes available later on or what?

Thanks

They will email you a link when they've processed your financial aid info. Not to worry.

Financial Aid Question:

I was a dependent throughout college, but I am paying for medical school. So, in order to fill out a FAFSA do I become an independent? If my parents paid for my college in 2007, I have to be their dependent for the tax information for the FAFSA, right? Can I still not include my parents information on the FAFSA?

I am rather confused with this stuff. The end of my financial dependence is approaching quickly. Anybody in the same boat as me?

Yes bluestank is right. When you're in medical school, you're considered an independent. However, Baylor wants you to fill in the parents' info anyway if you want to be considered for need-based scholarships.

Someone at Greenbriar just got broken into and robbed while I was at home for break :-(

That sucks. However, it can happen at any apartment complex. There've been apartments and cars that have been broken into (even tires stolen off cars) at the Lanesborough as well.

Yeah I'm with you guys...this financial aid stuff is sooo confusing. So do we have to fill out all this stuff before scholarships can be decided? I'm assuming for need based ones we would right? Also are any of you guys thinking about finding a roommate before starting or are you just going to live by yourself for the first year?

Yeah, Baylor needs the FAFSA to be filed and the Baylor institutional forms filled out before they can decide on need-based scholarships and loans. Merit scholarships are decided separately, I believe.

Financial Aid Question:

So I called them a few days ago. Regardless of whether your parents are paying for you or not, you are independent (because you're seeking a degree higher than a Bachelor's). One of the first questions you fill will help you to determine if you are independent or not (all of us should be though).

As for the parent's tax info, that can be submitted separately via a "Parent Verification Form". It's pretty much the same thing as the 3 worksheets they have to fill out on the FAFSA. This means you can submit just your student info right now, and have that other stuff come in later. This will put you in line for any and all financial aid Baylor has to offer. I'm still not sure if parent tax information is 100% required to get in on the goods, but I think it is. Here's the worksheet: http://www.bcm.edu/financialaid/?pmid=8063

Lastly, you need to send not only an electronic copy but a form with your original signature as well. This is for verification purposes. I haven't actually found the form I'm supposed to sign and send off, so I haven't submitted my FAFSA yet.

I don't think I forgot anything but this is how I understood things to work. Oddly enough, none of this info is on their Financial Aid website, so calling them is definitely a good idea to clear things up. Let me know if I said anything incorrect.

they're just across the street from the lanesborough. however, the apartments are older and smaller, yet inexplicably, cost more to rent. the gym is also less equipped.

they also seem to get 20% higher ratings... maybe because they are overcompensating for paying more? :(

does anyone here know if the tuition deposit is refundable in the event that i choose to withdraw (gasp!)

thanks

once we sign up for the UT housing waiting list, are we committed in any way? im still not 100% sure i want to go to BCM next yr, but i want to have good housing in case i decide to go...

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone here know if the tuition deposit is refundable in the event that i choose to withdraw (gasp!)

thanks

You have until April 15 to get your money back. You really don't need to send in your deposit until May 15, so I'd wait until May 1 when you should have your financial aid from other schools already.

So I interviewed in November and still have not heard anything :(. I'm out of state so I'm worried about finding a place to stay if I do get a call later. Will I be able to find an apt if I don't get a call for another month or so? Baylor's my top choice so I'm just waiting on them.

So I interviewed in November and still have not heard anything :(. I'm out of state so I'm worried about finding a place to stay if I do get a call later. Will I be able to find an apt if I don't get a call for another month or so? Baylor's my top choice so I'm just waiting on them.

I wouldn't worry about it right now. I applied to be on my apartment waitlist in April and was able to get one no problem. The rush starts early summer, around May-June, so as long as you're ahead of the game, you'll be fine.

As far as I know, they don't even fill an entire class until at least 2 weeks past when interviews are over (Feb. 15th I think). I'd still say there's plenty of hope left.

I've already read generally good things about Lanesborough and Archstone medical as possible places to rent - does anyone have an opinion on the Parque View apartments?

is anyone else stressed out about furnishing an apartment and buying a laptop? that's some serious money and i don't know how I am going to find it. this on top of possibly paying several months rent + deposit.

BTW, what type of laptop are you guys getting?

is anyone else stressed out about furnishing an apartment and buying a laptop? that's some serious money and i don't know how I am going to find it. this on top of possibly paying several months rent + deposit.

After this application cycle, I'm so used to not having any money that I'm almost immune. I guess that's probably a good thing considering I'm going to head a ways into the red over the next 4 years. :) It does stink that we won't get any of our loans until school starts, though. I'm guessing that I'm going to have to rely heavily on graduation money until then...

Due to that, I'm planning on holding off and getting a laptop over the summer. I am contemplating breaking down and getting a Mac, although I've only previously owned Dell desktops. I think I've seen my roommate's Dell laptop break down too many times to test my luck with them...

I'll probably replace me 2nd gen MacBook Pro with a 4th gen MacBook Pro (I know, a huge difference). I don't know if I remember there being outlets in our classroom or not, so I want to get an upgrade so my laptop lasts 4 hours with wireless going.

I kind of did a quick survey of how many people actually used laptops while I stayed with my MS1 and it was just about everyone. Lots and lots and lots of Macs.

After this application cycle, I'm so used to not having any money that I'm almost immune. I guess that's probably a good thing considering I'm going to head a ways into the red over the next 4 years. :) It does stink that we won't get any of our loans until school starts, though. I'm guessing that I'm going to have to rely heavily on graduation money until then...

Due to that, I'm planning on holding off and getting a laptop over the summer. I am contemplating breaking down and getting a Mac, although I've only previously owned Dell desktops. I think I've seen my roommate's Dell laptop break down too many times to test my luck with them...

yea, i think dells just look cheap. there's always so much flex in the plastic parts. they're also the heaviest and most unwieldy.

anyways, there's an hp tablet that I want. it's 12" and weighs <4 lbs. I'm thinking about doing all my class notes etc. on there. I hate when my notes are typed, so this is a good compromise. It will also save tons of paper and lugging around notebooks. I'm worried about crashes happening though if I take this route. Would an external hard drive be good for backup?

For all the expenses I mentioned above, are most people going to charge stuff and then pay it off once loans come in or what? I realize you can't do this with rent deposits, but everything else?

I'm thinking that I'm going to need a few thousand to get everything squared away. I might just take all the loans out that I can just for this year. Then, save what's leftover and cut back for next year.

I have had a dell for about 4 years now and it has worked perfectly the whole time. Apart from being a little heavy and bulky, it works great. I might just get a smaller one at my next upgrade

Oh and I heard that a 1st year graduate student from Baylor got shot at Archstone. Was that recently? Is it USUALLY safe there? Because they had the best deals from the places I was looking at on the light rail, and I am sad because now my fiance doesn't want to live there after we found this out.

I'll make a further plug for the mac and say that OSX has the best automated backup utility around. Also the apple store has a decent educational discount usually $100-200 off. Even better deals can be had on their refurbished models which come with the same waranty as new. You can also run windows very easily on the new intel macs.

For tablets, there is a 3rd party company which modifies apple notebooks in to tablets, search for Modbook. Otherwise dell has a new ultra-light tablet called the XT or something that all of the geeks are raving about. Either way try and stave of any computer purchase until right before school. new things may come out in the mean time and prices are all ways going down.

I'll make a further plug for the mac and say that OSX has the best automated backup utility around. Also the apple store has a decent educational discount usually $100-200 off. Even better deals can be had on their refurbished models which come with the same waranty as new. You can also run windows very easily on the new intel macs.

For tablets, there is a 3rd party company which modifies apple notebooks in to tablets, search for Modbook. Otherwise dell has a new ultra-light tablet called the XT or something that all of the geeks are raving about. Either way try and stave of any computer purchase until right before school. new things may come out in the mean time and prices are all ways going down.

have you seen the price on that thing? it's like $2500.

I'm thinking of spending $1000 or less.

I'll probably replace me 2nd gen MacBook Pro with a 4th gen MacBook Pro (I know, a huge difference). I don't know if I remember there being outlets in our classroom or not, so I want to get an upgrade so my laptop lasts 4 hours with wireless going.

I kind of did a quick survey of how many people actually used laptops while I stayed with my MS1 and it was just about everyone. Lots and lots and lots of Macs.

there are outlets in the lecture halls.

it may not be practical for med school purposes, but i :love: the MacBook Air. :)

yea, i think dells just look cheap. there's always so much flex in the plastic parts. they're also the heaviest and most unwieldy.

anyways, there's an hp tablet that I want. it's 12" and weighs <4 lbs. I'm thinking about doing all my class notes etc. on there. I hate when my notes are typed, so this is a good compromise. It will also save tons of paper and lugging around notebooks. I'm worried about crashes happening though if I take this route. Would an external hard drive be good for backup?

I've always found tablets to be a compromise laptop that doesn't know what it's doing. I'd really recommend ordering one and trying it out for 2 weeks to see if it's good for you.

there are outlets in the lecture halls.

it may not be practical for med school purposes, but i :love: the MacBook Air. :)

I'm the biggest Apple fan around but I see the MacBook Air as....a chic laptop with no purpose. :(

Now, where are the new MacBook Pros!?!?!

Jolie,
The modbooks are a bit expensive, but look to be a decent tablet. take a look at the refurbished macbooks on apples site if you want something more economical.

I'm the biggest Apple fan around but I see the MacBook Air as....a chic laptop with no purpose. :(

Now, where are the new MacBook Pros!?!?!

Yea, I was looking at the MacBook Air today. Seriously, useless! You don't even get a dvd/cd burner.

They're pretty, but I watch so many movies on my laptop it's crazy. It would definitely not be worth the money for me.

I've always found tablets to be a compromise laptop that doesn't know what it's doing. I'd really recommend ordering one and trying it out for 2 weeks to see if it's good for you.

I don't want one that has the fancy transcribing. I just want something that will record my exact penstrokes so that I can write on Powerpoints,etc that profs use. The prowler mentioned that it's popular at his school.

Jolie,
The modbooks are a bit expensive, but look to be a decent tablet. take a look at the refurbished macbooks on apples site if you want something more economical.
I'm not sure that I'm ready to make the switch to a mac. My dad worked for electronic data systems (EDS) for 30 years and he would kill me if I said I wanted to buy a mac. Also, I'm so used to the idiosyncracies of PCs that they don't really bother me or seem as counter intuitive as they might to others.

What are people's thoughts on Dell XPS notebooks? I can't really tell how they're different from the inspiron. Are they just more durable/made with better parts?

I don't want one that has the fancy transcribing. I just want something that will record my exact penstrokes so that I can write on Powerpoints,etc that profs use. The prowler mentioned that it's popular at his school.

I'm not sure that I'm ready to make the switch to a mac. My dad worked for electronic data systems (EDS) for 30 years and he would kill me if I said I wanted to buy a mac. Also, I'm so used to the idiosyncracies of PCs that they don't really bother me or seem as counter intuitive as they might to others.

What are people's thoughts on Dell XPS notebooks? I can't really tell how they're different from the inspiron. Are they just more durable/made with better parts?

XPS laptops come with their own separate US-based support staff last I checked. I think they have the same build quality though.

XPS notebooks are also kinda chunky (because they're better powered on average--for gaming and whatnot), and often come with cool little blue lights in the case.

I also have an older Mac...powerbook. I love it!

But, to each his own. I really haven't seen many tablets around. They just don't seem to live up to the promise.

XPS notebooks are also kinda chunky (because they're better powered on average--for gaming and whatnot), and often come with cool little blue lights in the case.

I also have an older Mac...powerbook. I love it!

But, to each his own. I really haven't seen many tablets around. They just don't seem to live up to the promise.

The new XPS 1330 is about the same size and performace is comparable to the MacBook. After I left that question, I did a little research online. :)

It appears that they use the super thin LED screen and the laptop at its thinnest is <1" and at its fattest is a little over an inch thick. It also only weighs 4 lbs.

You can get them refurbished/previously purchased new for around $900.

have yall already sent in your fall semester transcripts to BCM? also does anyone know what the deadline is for filling out all the forms on that website (finaid, etc)? also if i got a scholarship from UTSW, can i use that as a "bargaining chip" with BCM? thanks for all the help!!!

The new XPS 1330 is about the same size and performace is comparable to the MacBook. After I left that question, I did a little research online. :)

It appears that they use the super thin LED screen and the laptop at its thinnest is <1" and at its fattest is a little over an inch thick. It also only weighs 4 lbs.

You can get them refurbished/previously purchased new for around $900.

Were I not attached to using OSX as an operating system, that's the laptop I'd probably buy. I have my own qualms about Vista but that's another story.

have yall already sent in your fall semester transcripts to BCM? also does anyone know what the deadline is for filling out all the forms on that website (finaid, etc)? also if i got a scholarship from UTSW, can i use that as a "bargaining chip" with BCM? thanks for all the help!!!

I sent my fall transcripts already. "Bargaining" between BCM and UTSW sounds nice in theory, but the financial aid office could easily give you the cold shoulder. Remember that there are plenty of people at UTSW that would sell their first born to get into BCM. You can be easily replaced. =/

Can we bargain with first borns then?

dunno bout first born children...but they do take arms and legs.

after all, there's a big anatomy lab to be filled with dissection material.

:scared:

haha i think i just liked saying "bargaining chip." i gotta say i do feel really sad turning down UTSW for BCM when UTSW was so nice to me :) i felt special for a second lol. not gonna lie though, i am still super pumped about BCM!!

I was also thinking about the possibility of a macair...would there be any disadvantages to that besides not having the cd/dvd drive?

The only real disadvantage is if you need to do any upgrades to the machine you will need a tech savvy friend to do them. To replace the hardrive or battery you have to remove the bottom of the case. From some of the initial reports that are circulating around the net it does not seem too difficult to do. The biggest deal breaker may be that the ram is soldered to the motherboard and cant be upgraded (2gb standard). Also it only has one speaker (mono) and it probably is not very loud if you wanted to listen to music or movies with out headphones.

Since you are already used to ultra-light and their inherent compromises none of this is that big a deal since you get a full size keyboard, a big display, and small power supply. If you can swing the upgraded version then you would have a pretty bomb proof system that has zero moving parts. Be sure to use your student discount.

Ok so I know there have been a lot of posts regarding laptops...I just had a couple of questions! For those of you who go to baylor......are there any major advantages to having a tablet pc?

Also, the laptop right now is a Sharp MM20 and I LOVE it. It weighs only 2 lbs! It has a short battery life and the cd/dvd drive is external, but other than that it's the most amazing thing ever! I bought it used for about 700. It actually just died about a month ago...but i'm considering just getting another one!

I was also thinking about the possibility of a macair...would there be any disadvantages to that besides not having the cd/dvd drive?

Tablets are few and far between. Some people love them, others hate them. I was sitting in on the first year's class and don't remember seeing any tablets, but a LOT of Macs.

Which brings me to your second topic... Honestly, unless 2 pounds (3->5) is worth $800-$900 more plus decreased performance, I'd stick to either a regular MacBook (which are excellent machines btw) or a $1000 Dell/HP. 1 USB port makes me cringe. Other things to point out that may not be too obvious:

1) External drive is sold separately ($100).
2) No ethernet port on board. Either buy a router ($40) or USB Ethernet adapter ($29).
3) Battery life is claimed to be "5 hours" actually is 3.5 in real-world terms.

Hey are you guys getting PDA's for your first year or waiting until we absolutely need them during our second year?

I would wait. By next year hopefully there will be greater software support for Blackberries and iphones. Right now we are limited to palm and windows mobile devices (though Epocrates now has blackberry support). Palm has been dying for a while now, and Microsoft is about to launch a new version of windows mobile ala iphone. If you wait till next year you will have more choice and prices will continue to come down.

Have you guys sent in your tuition deposit? Can you get that back if you do not go to BCM? Does that mean you are definatly going to Baylor? Has anyone finished their finacial aid stuff yet?