Baylor College of Medicine Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, I guess I can rest assured that last week's $10 donation went to good use!

Members don't see this ad.

generic said:
Well, I guess I can rest assured that last week's $10 donation went to good use!
Is Baylor still sending invites, I know they did alrady for Feb 10, or is it done sending invites?

Hey Y'all,

I got a question for those recently accepted and current Baylor students. Was the phone call exactly 2 weeks after the interview or slightly before 2 weeks or slightly after 2 weeks?

I appreciate any information because I'm tired of waiting by my telephone! :confused:

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad :)
They usually take at least two weeks before calling. However, if you don't get a call, don't worry because your application will continue to be under consideration. It seems like the calls usually come on Fridays. Good luck :luck:

workiholic said:
Hey Y'all,

I got a question for those recently accepted and current Baylor students. Was the phone call exactly 2 weeks after the interview or slightly before 2 weeks or slightly after 2 weeks?

I appreciate any information because I'm tired of waiting by my telephone! :confused:

Thanks,
You might not get a call. I was accepted in November and didn't get a call. The next thing I know, I have a thin envelop (scarry at first...) in the mail. So don't get hung up on the call. Relax.

mina001 said:
You might not get a call. I was accepted in November and didn't get a call. The next thing I know, I have a thin envelop (scarry at first...) in the mail. So don't get hung up on the call. Relax.

Awesome, thats somewhat reassuring. I remember LaFutureDoctora getting an email (no call or piece of mail). Well at least you know you are gonna be hit from all fronts.

workiholic said:
Hey Y'all,

Thanks,

Hi workiholic!

I didn't get a call at all, just like Mina. I received an email that was sent to acceptees. I had to call to find out. My letter actually arrived at my parent's home the next day. So, yes, my waiting by the phone proved unnecessary. Just relax and take the pressure off.

Seems like there hasn't been any acceptances (at least on SDN) lately. The theory on the Texas thread is that they are waiting for the Texas match to finish. How true that is I don't know, but here's to well wishing!!! :luck:

Hi

I didn't get a call either, but I was told over the phone and received a letter.

has anyone started to send the financial aid forms?

Miss155 said:
has anyone started to send the financial aid forms?
Yep. did my taxes and my fafsa (or fasfa) (fafa). Now other 1099's have arrived and I need to update and correct my info both places. So much for getting a jump on it. :oops:

I meant the institutional forms

Miss155 said:
I meant the institutional forms
yes, I done those, too. not a problem is your fafsa info is correct to begin with. :) and I filled out the extra page asking to be considered for loans. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know if we are supposed to purchase a specific computer or pda?

Thanks

motherofalldrs said:
anyone know if we are supposed to purchase a specific computer or pda?

Thanks

No specific computer is required (actually, no computer is required at all, technically), but if you are going to buy one, they do have some minimums that it will need to have in order to work with Baylor's proxy and whatnot. I already had a run of the mill Dell computer that we'd purchased the year before that works just fine. There is probably more detailed info on the website for your incoming class.

If you don't absolutely need a PDA now for your personal life, hold off on buying one. You don't need it until later, third year I think, so you can definitely wait, see what models are out then and what your classmates are getting. That's what most of us did.

Just FYI,

I think they'll have some computer/IT info on the website they send you (OSA/2010)? Don't let yourself be confused...their minimum specs seemed really odd to me last year and I was afraid to buy a "normal" computer, but you don't really need anything special. I got an Apple powerbook and I love it--mostly for the go-anywhere wireless capability.

People who watch lots of lectures on streaming video (i.e. people who don't usually come to class?) will probably want a PC so they can use the free program to speed them up (possible to use on a mac but more difficult)

Agreed with Ms. A, you don't need a PDA at all 1st year at least. An MS3 in the hospital with me told me that she lives and dies by hers, though. Also a PDA might be useful for the PBL class (called IPS at Baylor), but not THAT helpful. Just buy it if you've got an extra $250 you don't know what to do with. Or give that money to me.

Also, don't worry about a stethoscope until you get to Baylor.

Also, don't worry about books until Orientation week (2nd half of O-week at that), because you don't really need books at the beginning and you might score a deal on some used ones.

Also, an Ipod or similar device might be handy for those train/bus rides when you want to decompress with some tunes that get your mind off the day's activities and worries.

Good luck!

I'm on a roll here...sorry if you're bored.

Baylor gives you a huge amount of paper to learn off (hence the previous comment about not needing many books), so you need binders. I like the ones that are floppy but tough plastic, so you can toss them around.

I take the MetroRAIL to school (park-and-ride) and I love it. Comes every 6 minutes. The bus (if available to you) is nice too. Parking at school everyday will cost you about $10, which is too rich for my blood. Some people ride bikes...but they're not from Houston so they're not used to avoiding the weather at all times like I am.

If you're a woman (or man) and you want to change your last name for some reason, marriage, say, you might have some difficulties, so don't worry and just keep at it. Happened to a couple of ladies in our class. Now they're both fine.

Whats up guys. Does anyone know if the spots that Baylor has left are reserved for those last 2 interview groups or will they still be going off their dynamic list? Also if we interviewed early and have numbers that are roughly or slightly under Baylor's average is it more likely that if we are going tol hear at all that it will be off the waitlist towards the end of May? Sorry for all the questions is just I am trying to realistically decide how much hope to hold out for Baylor.

I also have a question - sorry if it's already been answered elsewhere. Does Baylor have a second-look weekend? Thanks

ClearDay said:
I also have a question - sorry if it's already been answered elsewhere. Does Baylor have a second-look weekend? Thanks
We don't know yet. Last year they did, and it was the first week of April. I'm hoping they will this year, too.

QofQuimica said:
We don't know yet. Last year they did, and it was the first week of April. I'm hoping they will this year, too.

Thanks, Q. :)

I'm not currently working or taking classes or planning a trip to europe. Any suggestions of med school topics I should bone-up on before Baylor, or am I better off basking in my own laziness? Generic, you do not bore me, thanks for the posts!!

motherofalldrs said:
I'm not currently working or taking classes or planning a trip to europe. Any suggestions of med school topics I should bone-up on before Baylor, or am I better off basking in my own laziness? Generic, you do not bore me, thanks for the posts!!

Bask in your laziness, hands down! It had been a few years since I was in any relevent science classes. I did not preparation and was fine. Yeah, the first day took me by surprise, because I had no idea what to expect, but it's pretty easy to catch up to speed. They tell you what you need to know, and you quickly figure out how to get the extra info that you need. Please don't do any pre-Baylor studying. You'll have more than enough time to do that once you're here. Just have fun with your kids.

ms. a said:
Bask in your laziness, hands down! It had been a few years since I was in any relevent science classes. I did not preparation and was fine. Yeah, the first day took me by surprise, because I had no idea what to expect, but it's pretty easy to catch up to speed. They tell you what you need to know, and you quickly figure out how to get the extra info that you need. Please don't do any pre-Baylor studying. You'll have more than enough time to do that once you're here. Just have fun with your kids.

agreed.

Just to let yall know, BCM recieved a $100 million dollar donation this past week, one of the largest donations to a academic institution ever. Read the press release on the BCM home page. Pretty sweet.

When will we get the documents to sign (e.g. background checks, scholarships, etc.)?

Miss155 said:
When will we get the documents to sign (e.g. background checks, scholarships, etc.)?

Did you just hear this week? When did you interview?

I think the background check forms came through in June-ish? Pretty late in the game...otherwise, pretty much nothing happened until July. I got a little worried that maybe BCM had forgotten about me and wasn't mailing me stuff...but checking this handy forum reassured me that everyone else was in the same boat.

I think they just want to make the process as painless as possible, so don't worry about all this (incl. tuition and aforementioned books) until July when your orientation gets underway.

To prepare:

If you MUST MUST read something, I might humbly recommend medically related books (Bedside Manners, Complications, Walk on Water, etc.) that might teach you a little bit about diseases and stuff but might help more with the metaphysical/psychological aspects.

If you ABSOLUTELY MUST study something academic, I recommend anatomy. I don't know how anyone could do it, but I hear rumors that some people studied anatomy over the summer (coloring books?) and I figure that would have helped me the most. Again, I must agree with the others that your time might be better spent in relaxing and preparing by spending time with loved ones and stuff...

If you can, it might be helpful to get together with other accepted friends and shoot the breeze so that you'll have friends at the beginning. I thought it was handy knowing other MS1's when I arrived (because a lot of us came from Rice), but of course I still met many more great people for the first time. So keep in touch with your bros and sistahs

I interviwed 1/6 and received the letter 1/27

Miss155 said:
I interviwed 1/6 and received the letter 1/27

Confound it, I interviewed the same day. Congratulations to you though! I was really impressed with Baylor.

generic said:
I think the background check forms came through in June-ish? Pretty late in the game...otherwise, pretty much nothing happened until July. I got a little worried that maybe BCM had forgotten about me and wasn't mailing me stuff...but checking this handy forum reassured me that everyone else was in the same boat.

I think they just want to make the process as painless as possible, so don't worry about all this (incl. tuition and aforementioned books) until July when your orientation gets underway.

To prepare:

If you MUST MUST read something, I might humbly recommend medically related books (Bedside Manners, Complications, Walk on Water, etc.) that might teach you a little bit about diseases and stuff but might help more with the metaphysical/psychological aspects.

If you ABSOLUTELY MUST study something academic, I recommend anatomy. I don't know how anyone could do it, but I hear rumors that some people studied anatomy over the summer (coloring books?) and I figure that would have helped me the most. Again, I must agree with the others that your time might be better spent in relaxing and preparing by spending time with loved ones and stuff...

If you can, it might be helpful to get together with other accepted friends and shoot the breeze so that you'll have friends at the beginning. I thought it was handy knowing other MS1's when I arrived (because a lot of us came from Rice), but of course I still met many more great people for the first time. So keep in touch with your bros and sistahs

(Addition)
Get your life outside of medicine together before you get to med school. Figure out how your going to balance your life.
It's easy to burn out if you don't do this.

miller13 said:
Confound it, I interviewed the same day. Congratulations to you though! I was really impressed with Baylor.

Ditto over here....congrats....i'm still waiting unfortunately.

Just got an interview from Baylor, for the end of February. It is apparently their last interview day... is it worth spending the time/money to go?

almost_there said:
Just got an interview from Baylor, for the end of February. It is apparently their last interview day... is it worth spending the time/money to go?

I would go, unless you've already been accepted at a school you'd prefer... On interview day, they told us that they don't fill the class until after the last interview. Granted, chances might decrease as the season goes along, but you've still got a shot and I'd take it.

If Baylor is a school you see yourself attending, absolutely go to the interview. I know people who got in having interviewed the last possible day.

miller13 said:
I would go, unless you've already been accepted at a school you'd prefer... On interview day, they told us that they don't fill the class until after the last interview. Granted, chances might decrease as the season goes along, but you've still got a shot and I'd take it.

I'm hoping they've still got spots open even after the last interview...anybody know when a waitlist will be compiled (if it is done??)?? I heard something around March, but i dont know if thats fully true.

BaylorGuy said:
I'm hoping they've still got spots open even after the last interview...anybody know when a waitlist will be compiled (if it is done??)?? I heard something around March, but i dont know if thats fully true.

I don't think they fill the class/extend acceptance offers by the end of the last interview, do they? I think after the last interview, they will make a lot of calls...or at least I'm hoping....

SteelBlue said:
I don't think they fill the class/extend acceptance offers by the end of the last interview, do they? I think after the last interview, they will make a lot of calls...or at least I'm hoping....

Agreed. Atleast they told us when I interviewed that the class would not be filled until all interviews had been completed. Anyway, goodluck Steelblue and hopefully we will both be at BCM come July :luck:

FastForward said:
Agreed. Atleast they told us when I interviewed that the class would not be filled until all interviews had been completed. Anyway, goodluck Steelblue and hopefully we will both be at BCM come July :luck:

Make that three of us :luck: :luck:

Good luck everyone!

I know several people at BCM who were accepted in JUNE! So don't fear, it's never too late. However, I know that it's no fun to be waiting. I hope we get to see you all in August...and I hope you get a call from Dr. Bradshaw or Dr. Michael soon!

I called BCM to follow up on my application. I was hoping that the lady would say that I've been accepted, but she wouldn't cooperate. Anyway, I asked her when they'll send out letters regarding waitlist, etc. She said that the final letter won't go out until May?!?!?! I hate waiting!

ClearDay said:
I called BCM to follow up on my application. I was hoping that the lady would say that I've been accepted, but she wouldn't cooperate. Anyway, I asked her when they'll send out letters regarding waitlist, etc. She said that the final letter won't go out until May?!?!?! I hate waiting!

May??? uggg, that is seriously uncool. Grrr, i hate waiting.

So does anyone know if this enormous donation is going to translate to more grants for us acceptees?? That'd be nice.

Hmm. Maybe I should read press release first. All to cancer center. Still, that's pretty goddamn amazing. Kudos, Mr. Duncan!

So to everyone who has been accepted thus far, did you have any follow-up communication with Baylor post interview? For instance, did you call or email to check your status etc? If you called or emailed, what did you say? I'm a TX resident who participated in the match so I haven't dealt with the "I'm very interested" dance. Just trying to figure out a plan of action.

Thanks for the help!

Hey folks. Any acceptance news lately?

has anyone heard if Baylor COM is having a Second Look Weekend this year? There was talk earlier that they might not, and though I'm looking forward to it, the lateness makes me a little skeptical. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, to those still awaiting word...GOOD LUCK!!!! :luck: :luck:

LaDoctorFutura said:
has anyone heard if Baylor COM is having a Second Look Weekend this year? There was talk earlier that they might not, and though I'm looking forward to it, the lateness makes me a little skeptical. Anyone have any ideas?

Also, to those still awaiting word...GOOD LUCK!!!! :luck: :luck:
I was hoping they would have one too, but it doesn't seem like they will.