Baylor College of Medicine Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I figure you guys are knowledgable about how to get into Baylor. How did you answer this question on the secondary:

Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information which you feel would be helpful in evaluating you.
2000 character limit.

I don't really have any special obstacles. Would it kill my chances to leave it blank? Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Ranger47 said:
I figure you guys are knowledgable about how to get into Baylor. How did you answer this question on the secondary:

Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information which you feel would be helpful in evaluating you.
2000 character limit.

I don't really have any special obstacles. Would it kill my chances to leave it blank? Thanks for the help!

this goes for any school with the same question: if you don't have any "special obstacles," then at least write something else about you that they haven't heard before. don't tell me that you really ARE just an mcat, gpa, and ugrad institution...

Ranger47 said:

2000 character limit.

Don't leave it blank. This is a chance, as newquag said, to tell them something different about yourself. Besides, it's not just about obstacles, it's about experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
was there a PRN form to fill out online? Sorry if I appear totally clueless about this.

Newquagmire said:
Oh, well I'm glad my answers to the PRN form online fit right in then :laugh:

Algunn said:
was there a PRN form to fill out online? Sorry if I appear totally clueless about this.

yeah a quick little doodad including the question "what would you like to do with ten other people".... puhaha...

First time checking SDN in about a month...

I got a letter from my PRN people this week: I'm in "Along Came Polyurea". ha.

Oh, and to the person who hadn't filled out the PRN questionnaire online, I never did that either and apparently I still got assigned one, so I'm assuming it will be OK for you too. :)

Got home today - it's an awesome feeling being back home, especially now that I can recover from my campout in London. We camped out overnight to get tickets for Wimbledon - got great seats, 5 rows center from watching the very hot Maria Sharapova (got lots of pictures), as well as Federer (my favorite men's player) and Roddick (my sister's favorite). Also got to see some of Henman (that was crazy in England) and Hewitt. Course, the damp and cold overnight wasn't fun... still, I'll take the runny nose and headache for those tickets anyday.

I'm in Along came Polyuria as well... the group leader is actually an old family friend of mine, whom No Egrets apparently knows as well. Small world.

Oh, and I landed the townhouse after all. How is everyone else's real estate biz going?

And quags, how come you deferred your admission? You applying again or are you researching hard up in Angleterre?

i'm surprised you made it around alright with the tube strike and all. PM me if you're really interested in knowing why. i'm neither planning on doing research nor applying again.

or Polyuria, rather... oops, that doesn't bode well... :laugh:

No Egrets said:
I got a letter from my PRN people this week: I'm in "Along Came Polyurea". ha.

Hey ya'll,
I just stumbled across this site yesterday and spent a long time scanning all the stuff ya'll have posted here. Kind of a nice feeling to be a bit more in the loop since I got accepted off the wait list and really haven't gotten all that much info from the school yet.
Just had one question for ya'll - someone a long time ago posted that there was a masterlist circulating of all the acceptances to our class thus far. Any word on that lately? It would be nice to see if I recognize any names.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------Incidentally, since I might be posting some more and it might be of some interest eventually, here's who I am in a nutshell...
Name: David Daniel
hometown: Austin
undergrad: University of the South (Sewanee) in Sewanee, TN
future home: Maroneal Apts.
interests: cycling, weightlifting, guitar, orthopedics (maybe???), outdoors, the Catholic Church

Welcome to the board, DD. Yeehaw on your acceptance off the waitlist - seems like fewer people on this forum in general have been getting WL-accepts than in previous years.

Quags, we just missed the tube strike in London. It started the day we left, so we took the subway down to Knightsbridge and then took a cab back from there. And then a van to the airport with our luggage (by this point, we'd unleashed the expansion pack on all of 'em) and a duffle bag I'd packed in my suitcase that we had to fill up as well.

Since we landed on Texas soil, though, medical school anxiety is starting to set in. Before we left, I was still on the admissions high - "Wow, I got into Baylor!" Then on the trip, college/grad school was not on anyone's mind. Now, with the townhouse and the paperwork coming, I'm realizing medical school is starting in less than a month and I'm having panic of the "Jesus, what did I just sign up for?" variety. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about medicine, just worried whether I'll be able to measure up and general fear of the unknown.

Oh well, at least I can spell polyuria right :D

BaylorLion said:
Since we landed on Texas soil, though, medical school anxiety is starting to set in. Before we left, I was still on the admissions high - "Wow, I got into Baylor!" Then on the trip, college/grad school was not on anyone's mind. Now, with the townhouse and the paperwork coming, I'm realizing medical school is starting in less than a month and I'm having panic of the "Jesus, what did I just sign up for?" variety. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about medicine, just worried whether I'll be able to measure up and general fear of the unknown.

Oh well, at least I can spell polyuria right :D

I think you're in good company, BaylorLion. :laugh: I'm sure similar thoughts are going through many of our minds. If I get any more serious well-wishes and offers of support from those who know medicine, I'm gonna panic. seriously, you'd think I just signed up to have my arms ripped off the way people keep referring to the next, oh, 7 years of my life! :eek:

I know everyone means well, but it's kinda like being a pregnant woman and having everyone tell you their labor horror stories! :laugh: This is not the information I need right now! :scared:

Okay, I think I just used waaay too many smilies.

i was wondering how exactly urea polymerized...

congrats on the WL acceptance Dan!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I recieved the call yesterday. After months of waiting it was really a blast to get the call the day before july 1st =)

But I need some help from you guys. I'm from california so i could only prolly make one trip there between now and the start of school.

My questions are the following:

1. How can I get residency status?
-Do I need to buy a condo for a year in order to get the residency status.
-Do I need to trade my california drivers license for a texas one?

2. Where is the best place to buy a condo.
-I want a 1 bedroom very very close to the medical center (walking distance)
-If this is beyond my price range (60k-80k) where should I get housing so that I can take the shuttle/metro to school. i.e. which complexes are good for that?

Thanks a million for your help, i'm looking forward to seeing all of you, and I'm very happy to be able to say I'm gonna be a baylor student (wooohooo!)

Congratulations!

TX residency rules are rather interesting, but one way that all the out-of-state BCM people told me they obtained residency is by owning property. I don't know about the need to have a TX driver's licence. You can ask the financial aid office for more details.

As for where to live, there are lots of condos in condoland (just south of the med center and north of the south loop), most of them a little too far for walking distance... but only a 5-10 minute bike ride from the TMC. don't know too much about the specific complexes besides that. you're best bet may be to get in touch with a local realtor and tell them your specific needs. the realtor could set up a bunch of showings on the day(s) that you'll be in town.

good luck

BaylorHappy said:
Hello everyone,

I recieved the call yesterday. After months of waiting it was really a blast to get the call the day before july 1st =)

But I need some help from you guys. I'm from california so i could only prolly make one trip there between now and the start of school.

My questions are the following:

1. How can I get residency status?
-Do I need to buy a condo for a year in order to get the residency status.
-Do I need to trade my california drivers license for a texas one?

2. Where is the best place to buy a condo.
-I want a 1 bedroom very very close to the medical center (walking distance)
-If this is beyond my price range (60k-80k) where should I get housing so that I can take the shuttle/metro to school. i.e. which complexes are good for that?

Thanks a million for your help, i'm looking forward to seeing all of you, and I'm very happy to be able to say I'm gonna be a baylor student (wooohooo!)

how do these numbers stack up to previous years?

crazy eyes said:
Just sent to me (To AdCom members from Dean of Adm...)
This seemed to be a "hot" topic before. Your class is essentially full and here is the run down...
As of 9:55 a.m. 6/20/04 Baylor College of Medicine has 168 people holding a place in the entering class of 2004. Thirty-seven (22%) are Non-texans, 45% are females. The average GPA is 3.74 and the average MCAT is 33.8.

BaylorHappy said:
I'm from california so i could only prolly make one trip there between now and the start of school.

congrats! i'm just being curious, but what in the world could make you want to leave cali for houston?

Algunn said:
how do these numbers stack up to previous years?
Just slightly lower than last year's 34.26 (11.27 this year vs. 11.42 last year) and 3.76. I think fewer women (83/168 were women last year... *sigh*) and more Texans than usual.

two questions:

1. for those living in maroneal, how do you plan on getting to class?

2. maybe it's just me, but don't those cement flood barricades they're putting up around bcm look hideous?

sfgboy said:
two questions:

1. for those living in maroneal, how do you plan on getting to class?

2. maybe it's just me, but don't those cement flood barricades they're putting up around bcm look hideous?

Well, I've got a few ideas. Apparently the shuttle bus comes pretty close, so I'll probably use that some. Not sure about the train, it might be ok too (ask someone at the apartment - the lady who set up my lease seemed to have all the info on that). My current plan is to ride my bike to class as long as weather's decent. That way I can manage to get a bit more exercise into my schedule. Are you living there? We'll have to meet sometime. I move on Tuesday.

Newquagmire said:
congrats! i'm just being curious, but what in the world could make you want to leave cali for houston?

u know when u just like a school's atmosphere?

i really liked baylors, can't even say it was that hard to withdraw from the cali school

=)

Hello again all, and welcome/congrats to all the new people on the thread!!! I am finally moved into Houston and am so fundamentally exhausted I can barely type. I'm not even sitting up. I can never, ever leave this apartment ... not without steroids or crack cocaine to get me through the day! Anyways, I just found out I'm in in "Funky Cold Medulla," which is an awesome name in my opinion. I will be more excited when I've had some sleep, and ibuprofen :)

Passing out in front of the new digital cable now (might as well enjoy it for four whole weeks) ... will be refreshed and perky and back with you all soon. Anybody at the Esplanade, get in touch, neighbor!

Oh and one more thing - esp. to quagmire - this part of Houston is BEAUTIFUL!!! I can't wait to get bikes and explore the trails / Hermann Park / etc. Lots of trees & fountains & parks around the museum district.

How are the condos in hearthwood?

They seem to be the cheapest, is there access to metro/shuttle?

thx again

In today's Chronicle: "Hospital district-Cornell link urged"
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/2658507

Is this commissioner in bed with Methodist? Seems like a political stunt because I don't understand how this could be even remotely possible (how cornell could staff two of the busiest hospitals in the nation from 1500 miles away, and how baylor and ut-h would give up arguably their most valuable teaching affiliates).

by the way, does anyone know if there's been any faculty attrition / movement from baylor for methodist?

Now this is actually something to be concerned with - because Ben Taub is one of our primary training grounds. But at the same time, after reading the article, I honestly have to wonder, WTF? How many WCMC doctors do they think are going to be coming to Houston? Or are they counting the Methodist docs as "Cornell profs?" Honestly, it doesn't make sense otherwise - Cornell has nothing to gain, NIH-wise or otherwise, from staffing Ben Taub, and I'd think very few people would willingly leave NYP for Ben Taub.

Seriously, is this just a pro-Methodist person trying to flex muscle on behalf of TMH, and hit Baylor where it hurts? I can't believe the guy thinks they'll (UTH and Baylor) happily step aside and ignore a 20 year contract that has 16 years still left on it, especially one that is seemingly so lucrative and where Baylor does so much of its medical student training.

Though, thinking of one of my earlier posts, this is what happens when you don't actually own your teaching hospital(s) (like Hopkins, Michigan and Vanderbilt do). Which is probably Baylor's motivation in building the clinic - it wants to OWN a clinical facility with which it doesn't have to worry about dealing with crap like this.

Algunn said:
by the way, does anyone know if there's been any faculty attrition / movement from baylor for methodist?

So far the chief of surgery at methodist has said he's staying with Baylor. That's all Ive heard (its a link to the chron somewhere on this thread)

Algunn said:
In today's Chronicle: "Hospital district-Cornell link urged"
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/2658507

Is this commissioner in bed with Methodist? Seems like a political stunt because I don't understand how this could be even remotely possible (how cornell could staff two of the busiest hospitals in the nation from 1500 miles away, and how baylor and ut-h would give up arguably their most valuable teaching affiliates).

No, I get the feeling its just politics. By saying this they force Baylor and UT-Houston's hand in renegotiating the contract (lowering the price).

There's really no way this can work based on logistics (Cornell is too far away, you would have to attract docs to move in the first they, they would have to get new facilities, and of course if you're moving to Houston and are so far away from your academic center why not just move over to Baylor or UTH? etc). And if that isnt a convincing enough argument, the State of Texas and the City of Houston have invested too much into Baylor and UTH to let NY do anything to damage that arrangement. So I dont think they would let that happen- the constituencies against it are too large.

In any case, it just sounds like the County is leveraging the Methodist-Cornell "alliance" to make Baylor and UTH lower the price on the contract.

Did any Baylor students get an email from the administration or anything? That might be more informative.

I've already posted what I've gotten.

You have to wonder what ways the dude is talking about re: getting out of the contract. Usually, people make contracts pretty ironclad, ironclad enough, at least, that one party can't get out of the contract because they get a more financially lucrative offer.

You have to wonder whether Baylor/UTH would have the guts to say, "Yeah, you do that. Staff these county hospitals with Cornell profs and see how successful that is." Can't imagine that WEILL Cornell (as in Sandy Weill, former CEO of Citigroup) is that hardup for cash that they'd give city govt. THAT much better a deal. The logistics of such a deal alone indicate that it'd be extremely cost-prohibitive.

Does anyone know whether St. Luke's is still shared between Baylor and UTH?

Hey ya'll, just curious here. Do any of ya'll know how people usually dress for class at Baylor? I'm coming from a college where coat and tie were not too uncommon. Taking a wild guess this is probably not the case at Baylor. Any thoughts?

because of the unbearable heat, i would imagine a great deal of underclassmen wear tshirt and shorts

where'd you go to school? mil academy?

BaylorLion said:
You have to wonder what ways the dude is talking about re: getting out of the contract. Usually, people make contracts pretty ironclad, ironclad enough, at least, that one party can't get out of the contract because they get a more financially lucrative offer.

It appears to me that Baylor isn't really interested in keeping the contract either, though. More like a mutual break-up sort of thing. As far as I'm concerned, if Weill actually does end up sending people down South, it's better for me. Make those networks grow, dontchaknow?

Oddly enough I got a PRN assignment today to "Shiga-pets," whatever that is. I hope somebody tells them not to expect me :p

Newquagmire said:
because of the unbearable heat, i would imagine a great deal of underclassmen wear tshirt and shorts

where'd you go to school? mil academy?

No, actually just a little liberal arts school in Sewanee, TN, called University of the South. Not a mandatory thing, just kind of a quirky tradition.

Incidentally, are there any SMOOTH OBTURATORS out there? That's my PRN.

Shiga-pets? Hahahahah, that might be one of the better names...

Never thought about networking opportunities. Would be great, as long as Baylor and Methodist don't blackball each other's people. That said, I'd be surprised if Baylor isn't interested in keeping Ben Taub, considering that's where it does most of its medical student training. Unless I'm misreading this article and Baylor would still be allowed to train students there, just not actually run the facility. How many people are they going to run through St. Luke's and the VA? Though I suppose they could expand rotations at MD Anderson. It's definitely interesting watching the repercussions of the "split" play out, because it's becoming more of a split now. I wonder when construction on the clinic will be complete...

BaylorLion said:
I wonder when construction on the clinic will be complete...
Has anyone heard any projections on this?

BaylorLion said:
Shiga-pets? Hahahahah, that might be one of the better names...

Unless it vaguely refers to a prefecture in Japan, I have no idea what it means. Since there seems to be a medical theme, I'm wondering what kind of disorder "shiga" is, fo shizzle?

I wonder when construction on the clinic will be complete...

Not anytime soon :)

I'm sorry for the repetition but no one seemed to know the answer to my question so I'm asking again: What do you think of the Hearthwood Condos?

thank you

Newquagmire said:
Unless it vaguely refers to a prefecture in Japan, I have no idea what it means. Since there seems to be a medical theme, I'm wondering what kind of disorder "shiga" is, fo shizzle?

could it be a reference to shigella perhaps?

just checked it out. Shiga toxin is produced by the bacteria Shigella dysenteriae.

ahhhh, dysentery! how strangely appropriate. and check it out, there's a link to japan too:

<<The Shigella germ is actually a family of bacteria that can cause diarrhea in humans. They are microscopic living creatures that pass from person to person. Shigella were discovered over 100 years ago by a Japanese scientist named Shiga, for whom they are named. There are several different kinds of Shigella bacteria: Shigella sonnei, also known as "Group D" Shigella, accounts for over two-thirds of the shigellosis in the United States. A second type, Shigella flexneri, or "group B" Shigella, accounts for almost all of the rest. Other types of Shigella are rare in this country, though they continue to be important causes of disease in the developing world. One type found in the developing world, Shigella dysenteriae type 1, causes deadly epidemics there.>>

I might not know how to spell my PRN, but at least I could immediately recognize the pop culture reference. I'm still lost on "shiga-pets" (is it supposed to sound like "giga-pets," those digital pet thingies that were the big craze like 8 years ago?)

As for what to wear to class, I attended classes with my host the day of my interview... people were wearing mostly t-shirts and jeans or regular college-looking clothes, at least a few people in PJ's/sweats that I can remember... Definitely no one wearing a tie or coat, and barely anyone with anything that buttoned. I do remember the lecture hall being pretty frigid, so I guess layers are key (don't throw away the sport jacket just yet, DD).

I am going to Houston tomorrow to sign a lease... someone told me that the Ikea in Houston is closed for remodeling right now - is that true? I've lived in a furnished dorm the past 4 years, so now I have sooo much stuff to buy! I can't believe my friends with jobs have $8,000 relocation bonuses!

No Egrets said:
I am going to Houston tomorrow to sign a lease... someone told me that the Ikea in Houston is closed for remodeling right now - is that true?

I think its open now. It was closed for most of June.

curlycity said:
Shiga-pets --> Chia pets?
check above curly. I thought that too at first (and thought it was a definite stretch to pull that one off). Pretty sure no egrets has it right on this one. I guess I kinda missed out on the whole giga-pet boom because I only barely remember it.

Daniedw0 said:
check above curly. I thought that too at first (and thought it was a definite stretch to pull that one off). Pretty sure no egrets has it right on this one. I guess I kinda missed out on the whole giga-pet boom because I only barely remember it.

if we're too old to remember it, how can people already IN med school remember it?

are all the intro classes at baylor in that big auditorium? i'm a little fuzzy on my memories.

ack! my cork just broke. i guess that means i have to finish the bottle tonight... ;)

:thumbup: to broken corks ...

Can anyone local to Houston recommend a good bike shop? Hubby & I are going bicycle shopping sometime this week or next. Thanks!

I thought the fireworks last night were awesome - nice way to start our stay in Houston, classical music in Hermann Park followed by rooftop fireworks viewing. Good times.

once you get the call, does baylor fedex the accepted letters or send them w/ regular mail?

BaylorHappy said:
once you get the call, does baylor fedex the accepted letters or send them w/ regular mail?

Mine was regular mail. It took about 4 days.