Baylor College of Medicine Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
TexasRose said:
bump!

orientation in a week and a half. :)

btw, utility companies in Houston are horrible. Don't ever have them make a mistake with your power. They will take 4 days to fix it. No joke./rant

Sorry to hear that. What's your company? I use Reliant, they're OK. Ive heard TXU is really cheap and pretty good too.

Members don't see this ad.

EvoDevo said:
Does anyone know where Baylor's planning on having the clinic??? I know that space in the TMC is getting tight.......:confused:

I too thought this, but then the master plan (www.tmc.edu) shows that there are a lot of campuses, and what we think of as the TMC is just the main campus.

I really wanted to upload this interesting image showing the overall campus, but unfortunately SDN wont allow images that big. In any case, it turns out that the main campus represents only a fraction of the overall TMC.

Gleevec said:
I too thought this, but then the master plan (www.tmc.edu) shows that there are a lot of campuses, and what we think of as the TMC is just the main campus.

I really wanted to upload this interesting image showing the overall campus, but unfortunately SDN wont allow images that big. In any case, it turns out that the main campus represents only a fraction of the overall TMC.
Right. All you have to do is take a gander at all the construction on the south side of Holcombe, Fannin, etc. :eek: I know that most of that land belongs to MD Anderson ("The Tumor of the Medical Center")...Maybe they could demolish one of the parking garages...or do you think that they'd want a detached site?

Interesting nonetheless.

Members don't see this ad :)
TexasRose said:
bump!

orientation in a week and a half. :)

btw, utility companies in Houston are horrible. Don't ever have them make a mistake with your power. They will take 4 days to fix it. No joke./rant
Heh. Someone needs a kneecapping. :smuggrin:

EvoDevo said:
Right. All you have to do is take a gander at all the construction on the south side of Holcombe, Fannin, etc. :eek: I know that most of that land belongs to MD Anderson ("The Tumor of the Medical Center")...Maybe they could demolish one of the parking garages...or do you think that they'd want a detached site?

Interesting nonetheless.

Actually, that is part of the main campus. There are entirely seperate campuses as well. Because of the light rail, the med center can expand much more easily through the different interconnected campuses. It seems like South Campus, VA district, and Smith Lands have the most development space. The document available at tmc.edu mentions the Old Ben Taub hospital and next to UT-dental as possible sites of expansion within the main campus. But I really have no idea where they plan to build it exactly, just that there is more land than I thought was available.

Here is the text from the image I couldnt post because of SDN image restrictions:

Main Campus
Patient care, education, research and administration
This district is the historic core of the Texas Medical
Center. This district is seen as extending south of
Holcombe Boulevard to engage the Brays Bayou and
new development for the University of Texas system.

Main Street District
Mixed-use, high-density district focused on outpatient care
clinics, administrative support, hotels, office, residential, retail
and parking
This district is identified by high traffic volumes, treelined
boulevards and active ground floor uses.

South Campus
Research, research-related product development, patient care,
support uses, peripheral parking, recreational and student
housing
This is a new and evolving district that could become a
national research and product development campus as a
joint public / private effort.

Veterans Affairs District
Patient care, research, retail and administration
This district is a comprehensive center for veterans?
benefits and health care services. Future expansion may
include additional biomedical research, research-related
product development, energy generation, and peripheral
parking.

W. Leland Anderson District
Specialized health care focusing on mental health,
community-based health care education and child
care services
This district is adjacent to a residential neighborhood
and has strong links to the proposed Brays Bayou Park
System.

Smith Land District
Office, administration, and peripheral parking sites
This district includes peripheral parking areas and future
development sites.

H. Markley Crosswell District
Specialized health care including the Ronald McDonald House
and The Hospice at the Texas Medical Center
This district lies adjacent to the landscape setting of the
Brays Bayou and Hermann Park

Gleevec said:
Sorry to hear that. What's your company? I use Reliant, they're OK. Ive heard TXU is really cheap and pretty good too.
actually, Reliant and TXU are the 2 companies that caused all the trouble. :mad:

TexasRose said:
actually, Reliant and TXU are the 2 companies that caused all the trouble. :mad:

DOH

TexasRose said:

We recently switched to Entergy Solutions, after Green Mountain's price's sky-rocketed. For anyone looking for an energy company in Houston, go to www.powertochoose.org. It allows you to compare all the prices of all the energy providers in the area and you can choose the best option for you, rather than having to go to each company's website and try to figure it out.

ms. a said:
We recently switched to Entergy Solutions, after Green Mountain's price's sky-rocketed. For anyone looking for an energy company in Houston, go to www.powertochoose.org. It allows you to compare all the prices of all the energy providers in the area and you can choose the best option for you, rather than having to go to each company's website and try to figure it out.
Thanks for the tip, I'll be using that site asap.

Just wanted to make sure that everyone noticed the Houston Get Together thread in preallo and the lounge. Houston folks meeting for lunch on Sunday. I hope we'll get a good Baylor representation there! :) PM me if anyone has questions.

Eight days and counting. . .

What's everyone doing with their last few remaining days?

hi all, just taking a break to holla at no_egrets, who should be well and truly moved in by now =)

HollyJ said:
Eight days and counting. . .

What's everyone doing with their last few remaining days?
Trying to start and finish a painting project, my living room. We'll see. Also, hanging out by the pool with the kids.

I'm very curious as to what orientation is going to be like. In typical female fashion, I'm wondering what do I wear? :laugh: ;)

Hey guys, I know you all have to be getting excited about school at this point, trust me, still enjoy your time off as much as possible, ;). Have fun during orientation week, dress is still casual.

Members don't see this ad :)
Newquagmire said:
hi all, just taking a break to holla at no_egrets, who should be well and truly moved in by now =)

holla back!!

i am so moved in! i love love LOVE my place. you guys will have to come visit me in this house at some point. i'm enjoying my first few days in houston, hanging out with h-town friends i haven't seen in a while... good times good times. see you all soon!

I've never been so productive in my life as I have been waiting for this week to go by. There's a fresh coat of paint in 3 different rooms of my house! :laugh: I keep thinking about how any unfinished projects will probably stay that way until Jan 2006...

Hi...I was filling out the secondary app, and the essay prompt:
Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information which you feel would be helpful in evaluating you.
sounds like one of those things where they give you space to talk about personal family issues and such...is this essay required??

=)) said:
Indicate any special experiences, unusual factors or other information which you feel would be helpful in evaluating you.
sounds like one of those things where they give you space to talk about personal family issues and such...is this essay required??

It would be wise to do every essay possible. You have to make yourself stand out, especially if you are looking to go to Baylor.

=)) said:

And just as a side note, you could talk about 'personal family issues,' or you could use the space to highlight something fabulous about yourself that you think the adcom would really like to know. It could be used to explain negatives or expound positives :) just depends on your approach.

Good luck!

=)) said:

I'll send you mine from last year. All you'd have to do find everywhere it talks about "bed wetting" and change it to "nose picking" and the ADCOM will never know the difference! :)

Thanks for your replies. =) I guess I will get back to working on that essay. I was getting help from somebody who kept on insisting that the essay was not required, so I just wanted to make sure.

Congratulations on your acceptances to Baylor!

hey all -

I haven't had mail/email access for a while now - is there anything in specific we need to know about/bring/do for orientation tomorrow that is not listed on the website?

thanks - see you all tomorrow!

Elwood said:
hey all -

I haven't had mail/email access for a while now - is there anything in specific we need to know about/bring/do for orientation tomorrow that is not listed on the website?

thanks - see you all tomorrow!

I think all that's required tomorrow is, show up at 8 a.m. packed for an overnight trip to Chain-O-Lakes. For me, that means clothes + a gallon-o-bug-spray :) See you there!

Im moving to Houston next year for residency..................Im thinking about a townhouse............can anyone recommend any areas that I should look

Thanks

> From: "Dr. Peter G. Traber" <[email protected]>
> Date: Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:50:15 US/Central
> To: [email protected]
> Subject: Update on The Methodist Hospital
> Reply-To: "Dr. Peter G. Traber" <[email protected]>
>
> July 23, 2004
>
> To: BCM Family
>
> From: Peter G. Traber, M.D.
>
> Re: Update on The Methodist Hospital
>
> Today the Houston Chronicle published what I consider to be a fair and
> balanced article detailing the current situation that exists between
> Baylor and The Methodist Hospital. The story refers to several issues,
> including attempts by Methodist to recruit BCM faculty, a lack of an
> affiliation between the two institutions, and questions about doubling
> of rent for space in Smith and Scurlock Towers.
>
> The article also states that Baylor is "threatening" legal action
> against Methodist. I want to underline what was said in the article -
> it is our "fervent desire" to maintain or repair our relationship with
> Methodist. We do not wish to pursue legal actions against Methodist.
> In fact, on Tuesday of this week, a letter was sent to Methodist from
> BCM Chair Corbin J. Robertson, Jr., that specifically requested
> Methodist to reconsider a 35-year or longer affiliation agreement. We
> do want to find a solution to the current situation, and to protect
> our faculty, residents, students and staff, as well as the integrity
> of our academic programs. We have offered mediation as one such
> pathway, and would consider legal action only as a last resort.
>
> Methodist has undertaken aggressive recruiting of our contracted
> faculty, and we must and are taking steps to stop further efforts to
> do so. As I said in an e-mail to you earlier this week, Baylor
> continues to pursue an affiliation with Methodist, or if that is not
> possible, to work toward a reasonable and rational dissolution of our
> shared programs.
>
> I will continue to keep you abreast of this evolving situation and
> remind you that your feedback is welcome at
> mailto:[email protected] .
>
>
> (approved through eCommunication web site)
>

Yeah this situation is getting pretty nasty, although I think Baylor's handling it pretty fairly.

I submitted AAMC application for Baylor two weeks ago. This is the only medical school out of California that I have applied. I spent nine months as a PhD candidate in the department of Biochemistry a few years ago in Baylor. Moved to California to join my husband after that. Love and admire Baylor. I remember on my first day, I got lost in the giant building. I asked a MD student for directions(by the way, he is handsome), and he led me all the way to the room I was looking for. Fell in love with United States right on the spot.

So far, no secondary invitation yet. I have a MCAT of 39 and Baylor Graduate GPA of 3.9 and undergraduate GPA of 3.7 in China. I don't know how much chance I stand. Hopefully I could join you guys someday.

Qinnu

blackdiamond said:
Im moving to Houston next year for residency..................Im thinking about a townhouse............can anyone recommend any areas that I should look

Thanks
Condoland. Look for Jpro's post in the UT Houston c/o 2008 thread. Good hunting!

Ok, fess up. Who do you think was the most desireable guy/girl at Camp-O-Lakes?

skiz said:
Ok, fess up. Who do you think was the most desireable guy/girl at Camp-O-Lakes?

Who is skiz?? That chick from MIT was hot hot hot! :thumbup:

To No Egrets: What are you talking about, dawg? That chick from MIT was totally NOT NOT NOT! I thought she was a dude at first :p

To curlycity, TexasRose and HollyJ - show yourselves! We've been looking for you, wondering who among these 166 people are these three mysterious women. So I'm going to expose myself. My initials are R.P. - you already know I went to Columbia. Come find me and No Egrets! I'm in Along Came Polyuria - aka group 4. Seriously - we gotta hang out.

I know who Texas Rose is. It's quite elementary dear Watson. But I won't tell if she doesn't want me to!! :D

Alright, I'm Ann M. (I just really don't want to put my last name on some forum). I have blonde hair and I'm in I Dream of Genioglossus (group 10). I have a dark blue Jansport backpack. Friday I'll be wearing jeans (due to the arctic chill in the building) and a blue shirt with black circles that ties in the front. You realize this means I actually had to plan out my outfitthis far in advance! Anyway, come and introduce yourself. Just be prepared for pictures of my daughter.

BaylorLion said:
To curlycity, TexasRose and HollyJ - show yourselves! We've been looking for you, wondering who among these 166 people are these three mysterious women. So I'm going to expose myself. My name is Rohit Puskoor - you already know I went to Columbia. Come find me and No Egrets! I'm in Along Came Polyuria - aka group 4. Seriously - we gotta hang out.

Hola Rohit, I'm Michelle P., curly light brown hair, green eyes, 5'7", Funky Cold Medulla. It's so cool that I'm a mysterious woman...well I was for a while anyway. You can all PM me for further details (blood type, favorite color, etc.) but you will likely remember me doing the Riverdance in the second skit at Chain-O-Lakes.

Time to go check out Jalby's Step I prep recommendations. Not obsessed, just bored this afternoon :) see you all tonight?!

NotChoCheez! said:
I know who Texas Rose is. It's quite elementary dear Watson. But I won't tell if she doesn't want me to!! :D
:laugh: I can't believe you guys haven't all figured me out yet! I'm so easy to find, the only mom with 3 kids! :D I'm in Wizard's.

Rohit, come by and say hi to me, I don't think we've met yet. Nocho, you know me but I don't know you! :eek: I don't mind being identified at Baylor, but I don't want my name on sdn. too many fans, don'tcha know. :laugh:

TexasRose said:
:laugh: I can't believe you guys haven't all figured me out yet! I'm so easy to find, the only mom with 3 kids! :D I'm in Wizard's.

Rohit, come by and say hi to me, I don't think we've met yet. Nocho, you know me but I don't know you! :eek: I don't mind being identified at Baylor, but I don't want my name on sdn. too many fans, don'tcha know. :laugh:
Hey! You're alive! But not on AIM! ;) :p

OK, I'll find you guys next week. I came late today (that massive sleep debt I accumulated finally caught up with me), just in time for the curriculum orientation. I'm back home in Fort Worth now - y'all will have to update me on how all the stuff this weekend went. But I think I can find you - TexasRose, if you're the woman with the three kids, then I met you for the bingo. Were you wearing a pink shirt?

I'll PM you guys later.

I noticed people saying "you guys" a lot - from North of the Mason-Dixon line are we? I used to use that too, and say "pop" instead of soda. I remember when I first moved to Texas, a waitress said, "Here's y'all's order," and I thought, now there's a word with two apostrophes!!!!

Anyway, do you think we could get this thread pushed over to allo? :D Or maybe we should take up the Baylor forum - is that used a lot?

great school

BaylorLion said:
OK, I'll find you guys next week. I came late today (that massive sleep debt I accumulated finally caught up with me), just in time for the curriculum orientation. I'm back home in Fort Worth now - y'all will have to update me on how all the stuff this weekend went. But I think I can find you - TexasRose, if you're the woman with the three kids, then I met you for the bingo. Were you wearing a pink shirt?

I'll PM you guys later.
yup, that's me. :D make yourself known next time!

I like curlycity's question, should we start this thread in Allo, or do you think it will just die as we get busy?

:D I envy you all.. congrats and good luck @ Baylor. :thumbup:

Moving to allopathic would be better because where will all the premeds post?

Question to the current/new med students? Are students and residents still rotatiing at Methodist? Or has the break up not really happened yet? Those two are like bitter ex's.

EvoDevo said:
Moved to Allopathic forum per request.
Exercizing those new mods powers of yours? ;)

Guys, I hope you are all having an awesome weekend. I, for one, had to start it with a nap. :laugh: