Baylor College of Medicine Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
TexasRose said:
I won't say how many years it's been since I saw my pedi. :laugh: I started seeing a GP once I was about 16 anyway. It's not a big deal, just something else to add to my giant to-do list with the big move just a week away. Fun times!

So who knows how Anatomy works at Baylor? I know we do the labs along with the corresponding courses, but what does that mean? How often are we in lab? When do we have to start?

I believe you do labs by system, as I am doing right now. For example you do the cardiovascular system with the corresponding physiology and histology at the same time. Dr. Duncan is really hard to follow, but all of the physiology professors have been awesome.

Members don't see this ad.

Having Internet withdrawals over here in Italy. We finally got here after we spent more time in airports than actually doing stuff. I will be glad not to see a plane for a few weeks now.

Its hot over here. :p

BaylorLion said:
Having Internet withdrawals over here in Italy. We finally got here after we spent more time in airports than actually doing stuff. I will be glad not to see a plane for a few weeks now.

Its hot over here. :p
Well, it's hot here too. At least you're in Italy! :D

stoopid immunizations. Warning: the Hep B one hurts! :laugh:

Oh yes, and ms. a does make great cookies! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Doesnt Baylor do our TB tests if we havent had them in a while? When do we do that?

TexasRose said:
Well, it's hot here too. At least you're in Italy! :D

stoopid immunizations. Warning: the Hep B one hurts! :laugh:

Why thank you! I'm glad you all enjoyed them!

Yeah, BaylorLion, I have a hard time feeling sorry for you considering you're in Italy right now.

So is there anyone out there that is able to answer the when-do-labs-take-place question? As in, what day of the week and what time of day? Anyone know? Any current students out there willing to answer the question?

Gleevec said:
Doesnt Baylor do our TB tests if we havent had them in a while? When do we do that?
yes, Baylor does their own TB test and said not to bother getting one before you arrive.

I have never had the Hepatitis B series, though, and was due for a Tetanus booster. Thus, the shots.

I'm a first year at Baylor...
Labs take place at any time of the week, but at first I think they were mostly at the end of the week. Generally, you have anatomy lab once or twice a week and histology lab once a week, and they take place during the 8 - 12 time period. For example, on Thursday you could have lectures from 8 - 10, then you would go into lab from 10 - 12. This is how it was this past year, and I don't think they are making any changes to the lab schedule.

Hope that helps...

Serenity07 said:
I'm a first year at Baylor...
Labs take place at any time of the week, but at first I think they were mostly at the end of the week. Generally, you have anatomy lab once or twice a week and histology lab once a week, and they take place during the 8 - 12 time period. For example, on Thursday you could have lectures from 8 - 10, then you would go into lab from 10 - 12. This is how it was this past year, and I don't think they are making any changes to the lab schedule.

Hope that helps...
Thanks, that is helpful info. I wish Baylor would be a bit more forthcoming about our schedule for the next year. I need to make some plans around that scheduling.

Ahh well, roll with it, right?

TexasRose said:

Very, very good cookies. Everything you've heard about ms. a's cookies is true.

I guess I better get on that Hep B thing. Ick ick ick.

TexasRose said:
Thanks, that is helpful info. I wish Baylor would be a bit more forthcoming about our schedule for the next year. I need to make some plans around that scheduling.

Ahh well, roll with it, right?

I think orientation should make things clearer for all of us. Of course, that doesn't make it any easier for people who have to plan around it. Also, if its by system, lab times might vary a lot (ie... we will probably have less anatomy during biochem than during head and neck) so that might all end up being in the syllabus as opposed to being set times each week. Then again, what the heck do I know about lab scheduling.

Morning labs... fun fun.

Has anyone gotten recs on which books we should buy or which they found helpful for their first year at Baylor?

Oh, and does anyone know of a clinic (preferably in the medical center) where I can get a HepB shot, since I am unisured right now and don't have a doctor?

Thanks for the help.

Mrs.S said:
Has anyone gotten recs on which books we should buy or which they found helpful for their first year at Baylor?

Oh, and does anyone know of a clinic (preferably in the medical center) where I can get a HepB shot, since I am unisured right now and don't have a doctor?

Thanks for the help.
give the Baylor folks a call, they can probably tell you where to get it. Who knows, maybe they will even do it for you once we get enrolled. (Although, they did ask me to get my first of the Hep B series done before classes start)

Mrs.S said:

I think we should wait until the PRN thing starts, Im sure some of the MS2 (to bes) will be willing to sell us some stuff on the cheap (and recommend books as well, which they most likely will have and sell to us cheaply). =)

Members don't see this ad :)
As most of you know, Baylor's requested we all get a local phone number for a contact. So I was looking into different phone plans yesterday, planning the move in a couple of weeks, and came across a good deal for people who already use high-speed internet - vonage*. They have a really cheap plan for your home phone, only $15 for 500 minutes outgoing (unlimited incoming). And you can forward calls to your mobile, along with the other bells & whistles of online digital phone service. I'm doing this plan because I don't use the phone that much, and to get a local-only home phone service through SBC costs $26/month. Vonage has unlimited local + 500 minutes LD for $25/month and bigger plans also. SBC is looking like a ripoff, folks. So I just wanted to pass this on, if you're a person who wants a landline/home phone with a local area code or doesn't want to change their mobile number when moving to Houston. With Vonage you have to install this thing on your computer, but it looks pretty easy, and you get 911 service and everything. All your home phones work the same as always.

Just in case anyone's interested :) I'm on the prowl for anything that's going to reduce the monthly flow down the utilities drain! More cash for vacations that way!

If anyone's interested, PM me and I'll email you a thing to get a month free.

*Not paid endorsement :D

How did you get ms. a's cookies? Did I miss something?

Today was my cousins' and sister's shopping day. I was looking forward to 'complaining' about how they made me drag around 30 or so bags. No such luck. They didn't buy a thing. So to recap - they dragged me around the shopping district for 7 hours without buying anything. I don't blame them though - some of the stuff out there was just plain ridiculous. On the bright side, I saw a very cool Ferrari - it was being driven by one of their drivers around the Montenapoleone district as an advertising thing. Took a picture - I'll post it when I return stateside. Maybe someday, one of you will buy it if you become a rich dermatologist.

We went to an opera yesterday. Carmen. Wasn't as bad as I thought, because the theater had these little screens installed for every seat that gave you subtitles in any language you wanted. Got to scroll among a whole bunch of languages I know, which kept me entertained. What wasn't as entertaining was the smelly dude who sat next to one of my cousins, two seats down from me. You know it was bad when I could smell the funk that far down from him - luckily, he only sat there for one act before he got up and another guy came and took his spot. I was excited when 2 hours into the thing, it seemed like it was over (the main actors came and took their bows) - was a little disappointed by the fact that Carmen didn't get hers. But then, my 2 days younger cousin told me that the play had 2 halfs, not 2 acts, like she'd originally told me, and there were actually 2 more acts waiting. And when Carmen finally got whacked? It was so anticlimactic - she sang while she got stabbed.

(By the way, the sarcasm's for your amusement. I am enjoying my time in Europe a lot - didn't want y'all to think I wasn't grateful to be here. Taking tons of pictures, too.)

After hearing y'all talk, I'm thanking my lucky stars that I have all my immunizations. My sister had to get a shot before she started college, or so my mom thought. My sister hates shots, so imagine the whining I had to hear that day. Well, just picture, after all the anxiety and her arm hurting afterwards, her reaction when she found out Wake Forest only recommended the meningitis shot, and didn't require it. :D

Someone explain this one to me:

http://www.bcm.edu/pa/grantcancerresearch.htm

How do those figures add up to 1.2 million?

Just wanted to bump this thread up.

Looking forward to moving into my apartment July 1st. Does anyone know when/where we can get our light rail passes from (ie do we have to wait til orientation). If not, I could save some $$$ by getting the pass a bit earlier. Thanks!

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/business/2625490

Sounds really bad until you read at the end:

"In any event, the risk of defections comes as no surprise. In a pre-breakup analysis of what would happen if the college didn't renew its contract with Methodist, Baylor estimated that the rate of faculty turnover caused by a change in affiliation wouldn't be any greater than the college's usual rate -- 5 to 6 percent."

http://www.bcm.edu/pa/bcmleadsgrantexp.htm

"The college has been ranked in the NIH's Top 10 for the past three years, rising to No. 5 in 2002 due, in part, to additional supplemental federal funding help after the tropical storm."

Newquagmire said:
i don't know of any frog research at baylor, although i suppose there probably is some in the developmental "bayou" program

BU? no idea. something to take into account is that many grants aren't an annually-renewed enterprise. therefore, how many new/renewal grants an institution is submitting will affect the annual nih funding. frankly speaking, i'm surprised baylor was *ever* more funded than washu (but it's nice to know). as for "other research ventures," imho there aren't that many at baylor besides genetics and HGP. even the neuroscience dept is anchored in genetics approaches.

in any case, unless you're planning on making research a big part of your training, it probably won't matter a smidgeon in one's medical education...

Hello all! I came to Houston this weekend to check out the neighborhood a little more, make sure my apartment's ready (it was under construction), eat some good food ... Maria Selma, awesome, Goode's Seafood, awesome. If you ever need a really cheap hotel, try Grant's Palm Court Inn. Only $47 after taxes, incl. two free newspapers & a continental breakfast! It's like traveling back in time to the 70s, and the furnishings are only the beginning. But it's clean and doesn't smell funny, and it's close to the med center.

While I'm parading my cheapness for the world to see, I tried refilling my inkjet printer cartridges by hand with one of those refill kits last week ($6 instead of $30), and although three of my fingernails are still a little black around the edges, it worked great! Just thought I'd pass on the money saving tip :)

Only two weeks until the move ... SO EXCITED!!! Anybody want to come help me unload my truck? Yeah, didn't think so, I don't even want to be there!!! It'll be fine, I mean Houston's weather is just adorable, right? :laugh:

I just made topsecretrecipes.com's Chili's Southwestern Soup and am so full I can barely move ... so tasty ...

This is my "irrelevant to premedness" post for the day. Hope y'all are enjoying your vacations too!!!

Hi curly! Welcome back. Are you here for good, or just for a short stay?

My summer vacation hasn't been all that great yet. I've spent the past 4 days taking care of a toddler with conjunctivitis, otitis media, and a really nasty cold. Not a recipe for a fun weekend. She's now on about 3 meds (which she just LOVES ... so kidding), so hopefully she's on the mend soon.

BaylorLion - don't worry, you didn't miss any big cookie event. HollyJ, TexasRose and I just got together for lunch. Since I'm not working, I have a lot of free time on my hands (that it, when my kid is healthy), and when I have free time, I bake. But now that I don't go to work every day, I don't have a lot of people to give away all the cookies to, and I don't want them around the house for me to eat! So I give them away whenever I get the chance. You'll get some, I promise!

On a completely unrelated, non-premed note, what the heck is up with celebrities naming their babies the most outrageous things they can think of. A few weeks ago it was Gwenyth Paltrow naming her daughter Apple, and now Courtney Cox names her daughter Coco - Coco Cox!!! What is up with this? Are the parents counting on their super-celebrity name to prevent all the teasing that these kids are sure to endure in a few years???

Hello Ms. :) I was only in town for the weekend, but I'll be back for good on the 30th!!!

I think maybe Coco could remind someone of Coco Chanel, but the ONLY thing it's going to remind elementary schoolkids of is CEREAL! That kid needs to hope and pray that General Mills goes under in the next four years ... "I'm koo-koo for Coco Cox!!!!" Harsh!!!

Remember what W. C. Hogg named his daughters? One was Ima. I'm not sure who he was, but there are two UT buildings named after him.

hey guys,
first just wanted to say congrats on getting into baylor and can't wait to meet you all! i am a first year at baylor and we are looking for another roommate to share a house in the med center area. if you are a girl and interested in living with some upper classmen please send me a pm and i can let you know the details.
thanks! and see you all soon!
back to studying! can't wait for july!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Hello all:

Just found out Baylor has a credit union [www.bcmfcu.com], in case anyone needs a place to bank in Houston. We're eligible after we matriculate - a representative will be present at orientation.

md_hopeful21 said:
i was wondering how responsive the dean of admissions was to phone calls? I emailed him a while ago... and no response. Would it be a bad idea to give him a call.

Thanks,

Depending on what it is that you need to know/discuss, maybe you could accomplish it by calling the admissions department and talking to someone other than the dean who might be able to talk to you immediately, e.g. Melody Miller-Wasik (713) 798-4842 in Admissions or someone in Student Affairs (713) 798-4600. Unless it's urgent that you talk to the dean, I usually find it easier to get help from staff when I need a prompt response. Other than that, I have no idea how the dean feels about phone calls ... hope this idea helps though!

:)

Gleevec said:
Fallout? That's GREAT if you're a Baylor student.

Yeah, I had the same response because of the confusing introduction. Whoever wrote that article should be fired.

Hey guys, I know this was asked earlier, but has anyone received any info regarding our schedule / academic calendar? I kind of wanted to know what dates we had off for winter break.

Cheers guys

Oh, by the way, for those that are renting near the med center, what complexes were you looking at?

sfgboy said:
Hey guys, I know this was asked earlier, but has anyone received any info regarding our schedule / academic calendar? I kind of wanted to know what dates we had off for winter break.

Cheers guys

Oh, by the way, for those that are renting near the med center, what complexes were you looking at?

This is the TENTATIVE calendar (they emphasized this as well, ie dont make flight plans around it)

http://www.bcm.tmc.edu/osa/2008/calendar.html

I hear that Greenbriar Apts, Archstone Medical Center, Lanesborough, Maroneal are all pretty good and along the light rail line. Since we will have free Metro U-passes, might as well take advantage of the light rail on the way to class.

Gleevec said:
Since we will have free Metro U-passes, might as well take advantage of the light rail on the way to class.

I shudder at the thought of how stinky that thing must be from BO already, and it's only mid-June!

sfgboy said:

Cheers guys

So far there are three of us from class of 2008 staying at the Esplanade :)

Mrs.S said:

Planned Parenthood will do them for free (or near free) since Hep B is sexually transmitted. Give them a call !! (that's where I got mine before I started OD school )

cpw said:
Planned Parenthood will do them for free (or near free) since Hep B is sexually transmitted. Give them a call !! (that's where I got mine before I started OD school )

Wow that's worth a look... I've been looking around the med center area to get my immunizations...not cheap! Any other suggestions?

Gleevac, how do you know we get a free metro rail pass? It was a while back, but I asked some current 2nd years, and they were totally clueless about this.

Newquagmire said:
I shudder at the thought of how stinky that thing must be from BO already, and it's only mid-June!

Actually, its by far the cleanest public transportation Ive been on. WAY WAY WAY better than NY subway or even BART.

sfgboy said:
Wow that's worth a look... I've been looking around the med center area to get my immunizations...not cheap! Any other suggestions?

Gleevac, how do you know we get a free metro rail pass? It was a while back, but I asked some current 2nd years, and they were totally clueless about this.

Wow, the person I know with the U-pass for Metro is a second year... then again, this program is pretty new, they might have to ask.

They hand them out in July/August after orientation I would imagine?

Im really not sure, I just know they exist and we get them as med students.

Gleevec said:
Actually, its by far the cleanest public transportation Ive been on. WAY WAY WAY better than NY subway or even BART.
Ditto what he said. :thumbup:

Hey guys and welcome to Baylor! I've had the free metro pass available for students for the past two months. Pretty awesome deal that the school provides to us students, and as long as people keep using them, they'll keep buying them for us.

I really like the metro rail too. It's great for going to school, or going all the way downtown for a game or place to eat. And it is still really clean too.

rjhtamu said:
Hey guys and welcome to Baylor! I've had the free metro pass available for students for the past two months. Pretty awesome deal that the school provides to us students, and as long as people keep using them, they'll keep buying them for us.

I dont think there will be any problem in underusing the light rail pass =)

Between going to the med center, basketball, baseball, football, the zoo, museum district, theater district, downtown bar/restaurant scene, hermann park, etc, I think there should be plenty of good use out of those things.

Hey guys. In Spain now - saw the Sagrada Familia the other day, this awesome cathedral that Gaudi designed that they started building in the late 1800s. I say ?started building? because they won?t be done until something like 2053. It?s cool seeing a cathedral as it?s being built...

BaylorLion said:
Hey guys. In Spain now - saw the Sagrada Familia the other day, this awesome cathedral that Gaudi designed that they started building in the late 1800s. I say ?started building? because they won?t be done until something like 2053. It?s cool seeing a cathedral as it?s being built...

Try climbing the circular stairs in Sagrada Familia-- its the ultimate stairmaster. My legs have never been so tired.

If you need a place to eat, check out this place called Citrus, its awesome!

Parque Guell is really pretty as well. There are a LOT of Gaudi buildings spread out over Barcelona, and a lot of them are really cool. The Picasso museum there is very nice also, has a lot of his early work.

I :love: Barcelona. Best city in Europe IMHO.

crazy eyes said:
Guys/Gals:
Best of luck for your upcoming school year. Been fun posting here and answering questions. :D Sorry if I offended anyone or was too candid with some of my answers. I just dont want any of you to expect medical school or Baylor to be something it is not. :cool: Enjoy orientation and everything else. If you have any more questions I will be around this weekend, but then I am signing off and will likely not post on this site again as I am going to do my away sub-internship and when I return you will all be old pro's and official BCM MS-I students. ;) Remember to use your PRN group for any questions and if you want real advice, besides just studying for basic science tests, make sure you seek out the MSIII and MSIV students as they have much more experience and understand the next stage (residency) much better.
Cheers!
C.E. :thumbup:

Thanks for all your help and best of luck at your away SubI. :D

Hey guys,
I have a couple of gmail invitations. Let me know if you want one -- first come, first serve.

I sent a PM Holly. :)

curlycity said:
What's gmail? :)

Cue the out of the loop poster of the week/month. ;)

HollyJ said:
Hey guys,
I have a couple of gmail invitations. Let me know if you want one -- first come, first serve.

*Sends bribe HollyJ's way* ;)

Threads been kinda silent, hope everyone has been doing well and having a great summer! :D :cool:

Looks like T-mac is being traded to the Rockets.

Anyone up for buying the T-mac pac of tickets? :D