Baylor College of Medicine Class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
curlycity said:
:thumbup: to broken corks ...

Can anyone local to Houston recommend a good bike shop? Hubby & I are going bicycle shopping sometime this week or next. Thanks!

I thought the fireworks last night were awesome - nice way to start our stay in Houston, classical music in Hermann Park followed by rooftop fireworks viewing. Good times.

Except for the fireworks show technical debacle. I cant believe how poorly that show was put on, a majority of the people in Hermann were on their way out since they thought the show was over (the fireworks and music cutoff at some point in the middle for a very long time).

Members don't see this ad.

curlycity said:
:thumbup: to broken corks ...

Can anyone local to Houston recommend a good bike shop? Hubby & I are going bicycle shopping sometime this week or next. Thanks!

I thought the fireworks last night were awesome - nice way to start our stay in Houston, classical music in Hermann Park followed by rooftop fireworks viewing. Good times.
Bike Barn (on Kirby) is pretty decent (though not great). There's also another bike shop about 1 block N. of Holcombe (right off Kirby) that's pretty good, though I can't recall the name right now. Very conducive to making deals. Hope that this helps.

Gleevec said:
Except for the fireworks show technical debacle. I cant believe how poorly that show was put on, a majority of the people in Hermann were on their way out since they thought the show was over (the fireworks and music cutoff at some point in the middle for a very long time).

Oddly enough, it worked out for us because after watching the first round of fireworks, we wandered out of Hermann and up to the rooftop of our parking garage to see if there would be any more, and then sure enough there were fireworks to see! Too bad it was a debacle tho.

And thanks for the two bike shops - we'll check those out!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good Luck everyone!!!!!

If you missed it, I missed it to. What's up?

Anyone else going a little stir-crazy waiting for school to start?

BaylorLion said:
If you missed it, I missed it to. What's up?

Anyone else going a little stir-crazy waiting for school to start?
it seemed like a random post. Maybe it's a student at Baylor?

I'm getting a bit stir-crazy. :D think I'm going to paint some walls in the house while I still have the time!

TexasRose said:
I'm getting a bit stir-crazy. :D think I'm going to paint some walls in the house while I still have the time!

today's plans:
-gym
-laying by the pool
-ridiculously enough, serving as a model for our apartment complex's promotional brochure
-sewing new throw pillows for the sofas

just remember, we'll be looking back fondly at this time in about 3 weeks :)

I think it was just school-starting good luck. If so, thanks, SFW!

I am going to do nothing today. NOTHING. Hee!

building furniture, going to the optometrist, working out, driving around the area to get my bearings, and busting out my new George Foreman grill.

though for the last thing I might just want to set a slab of meat outside since it will probably be hotter than my grill could be.

HollyJ said:
I think it was just school-starting good luck. If so, thanks, SFW!

I am going to do nothing today. NOTHING. Hee!
Hey HollyJ, your PM box is full.

Silly Holly. ;)

EvoDevo said:
Hey HollyJ, your PM box is full.

Silly Holly. ;)
awww man, I was just gonna tell her that while she's "doing nothing" today, she should clean out her mailbox! :laugh: ya beat me to it!

Members don't see this ad :)
TexasRose said:
awww man, I was just gonna tell her that while she's "doing nothing" today, she should clean out her mailbox! :laugh: ya beat me to it!
:p

As an aside, I hope that I'll get the chance to join you two next year. :)

To the person asking about clothes to wear to school, just come as you did in College, unless you went to Princeton or Yale or someplace like that. Most people just wear T-shirts and shorts, or pants in the winter months. It's very casual and some people just wear their scrub bottoms on lab days.

Although there usually is the small group of people who like to dress up, wear make-up and whatever. They're usually the same group always down talking to the professors trying to impress them or something after lecture too, though. So I hardly pay much attention to what they wear. Just come as you are.

Arg! All clean now. :D

HollyJ, I think we should make your signature our unofficial class motto...

Hi all,
I also will be part of the Baylor Class of 2008. I am very excited to meet my classmates, and also to return to Houston after eight years. See you soon,
- Mark

another spot is opening up in the immediate future. hope it goes to elias =)

Holly J,

are you selling a house?

does anyone know a good broker i could call to buy a house in houston?

thanks in advance

BaylorHappy said:
does anyone know a good broker i could call to buy a house in houston?

thanks in advance
Susan Henn was my real estate agent. I really liked her and thought she did a great job for us. She's with Prudential Gary Greene.

There are also a few of them listed at the bottom of our Class page on the Baylor site.

lobowrestler said:
Hi all,
I also will be part of the Baylor Class of 2008. I am very excited to meet my classmates, and also to return to Houston after eight years. See you soon,
- Mark
Nice to meet you. :) Look forward to meeting everyone in a few weeks. (okay, 19 days, but who's counting?)

BaylorLion said:
HollyJ, I think we should make your signature our unofficial class motto...

Heh. Glad you like it. Elizabeth I said it when it looked like she was going to get her ass kicked by France. Fortunately, she won, because otherwise it really wouldn't be a very good quote. :D

BaylorHappy said:
Holly J,

are you selling a house?

Listing, yes. Selling, not so much. :( I'm going to give it another couple of weeks, though.

TexasRose said:
I'm still getting a "box full" reply when I try to PM you. Tuesday sounds great. Looking forward to seeing you!

WhatwhatWHAT? Okay, now it's positively as cleaned out as I can make it. I'm planning on Tuesday, though -- I'm really anxious to see your house, after all the great things I've heard about it!

We went through a woman named Jennifer Manhas; PM me if you want her contact info.

this has become my source for housing info!!

so does anyone know the complexes that are near the light rail/shuttle that goes to the tmc?

also

does anyone know how much parking costs if i get a house thats not near the shuttle?

You guys are about to become Michael DeBakeyologists. I spent a summer at Baylor and now I know so much about Dr. DeBakey, I could write a book. Great school, though

Heh. Well, considering what DeBakey did for the school, they probably owe him AT LEAST that much. :p

BaylorLion said:
Heh. Well, considering what DeBakey did for the school, they probably owe him AT LEAST that much. :p

I don't think you understand. Everywhere you look, it's Michael DeBakey. Even the faculty get tired of it, but no one says anything. Plus, he's really mean to the residents. I grew up in Houston, so I've known about him since like high school. Soon, you too will know everything about Michael DeBakey

BaylorHappy said:
this has become my source for housing info!!

so does anyone know the complexes that are near the light rail/shuttle that goes to the tmc?

also

does anyone know how much parking costs if i get a house thats not near the shuttle?

The Esplanade is 1 or 2 blocks from the Museum District station. An apartment locator familiar with the TMC will know the details for every complex in the area. And here's a link for TMC parking.

http://www.tmc.edu/tmc-parking.html

After exactly a week here, I recommend inner-loop living :) over commuting from the 'burbs ... we're about five minutes from anything we could want to do with our rapidly vanishing free time, and it's a pretty area. Coming from Austin, Hermann Park is great because it vaguely reminds one of the greenbelt *sniff, sob* and I like walking through there and seeing all the happy families and baby geese [awwwwwwwwww!!!].

If any females out there are still looking for a place to live, my housemate and I still have a 3rd bedroom available and are interviewing people now... PM me for details and pics.

Yeah, it seems everywhere you turn they're naming a new building after him. It does get kind of old pretty quick.

Hi guys, I just figured I'd drop in and say hello. I got in off the waitlist about a week and a half ago :D But now I'm kinda feeling the stress of moving my life from Chicago to Houston in the span of two weeks. Just got on the phone with a real estate broker this morning - anyone have any suggestions as to what areas I should look at (or avoid for that matter) for a condo?

City Plaza is a nice complex. They just recently renovated it (used to be an old apartment building) - though the prices are steep. If you're looking for something a little less pricey, the Riverwalk is nice. Don't know what availability is going to be like this late in the summer though... good luck.

Any opinions on Montreal Place/One Montreal Place? Most of the property I'm looking at is over there. . .At this point, I'm almost like I'll take what I can get, but I don't want to be stuck with a bad decision for the next four years of my life. Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

The Druid said:
Any opinions on Montreal Place/One Montreal Place? Most of the property I'm looking at is over there. . .At this point, I'm almost like I'll take what I can get, but I don't want to be stuck with a bad decision for the next four years of my life. Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

If you feel rushed, you could lease an apartment for a short while and get to know the area once you're here. Then you could take your time condo shopping. That's what we're doing as far as buying a house or condo goes - taking it slow :) Good luck and welcome!

do we get cubicles in baylor?

no response....., also in some medschools there r common fridges to put our food in. Do they have these in baylor?

I'm Stoked For Med School Chicks

(humorous editorial from hippocritis.com)

I ?m starting medical school this week and, dude, I'm totally stoked. My frat brothers have all been telling me that it's going to be all about biochemistry and neurons and muscles and I said ?You mean the main muscle bro, because I'm gonna be all up in the house with the ladies.? Then we lit up some stogies.

Being pre-med was awesome, but now that I'm the big dawg, the chicks are going be like ?wuuzup.? Just last night I was giving medical advice to six complete strangers including the bar tender, who said his sister had leukemia. I was telling him it's usually not that bad bro, and that I was thinking of being an Oncologist but that it blows because everybody is dying. The whole time this hottie across the bar was checking out my student ID badge that I ?accidentally forgot to take off after class.? Then we slammed Mojitos.

The sweetest babe action is going to be with the honies in the hospital though. Now that I'm a Medical Student the nurses will be all like, ?Who's the new white coat?? And I'll step up with ?Yo, check me out,? then they'll be all ?Wazuup baby baby?? And I'll say ?EKG this, Daaaayum.? And then we'll make out in the supply closet.

And when the all the chicas learn I was a Fiji , no contest bro, game over.

- Todd Stanton, MSI

Philo Beddo said:
I'm Stoked For Med School Chicks

(humorous editorial from hippocritis.com)

I ?m starting medical school this week and, dude, I'm totally stoked. My frat brothers have all been telling me that it's going to be all about biochemistry and neurons and muscles and I said ?You mean the main muscle bro, because I'm gonna be all up in the house with the ladies.? Then we lit up some stogies.

Being pre-med was awesome, but now that I'm the big dawg, the chicks are going be like ?wuuzup.? Just last night I was giving medical advice to six complete strangers including the bar tender, who said his sister had leukemia. I was telling him it's usually not that bad bro, and that I was thinking of being an Oncologist but that it blows because everybody is dying. The whole time this hottie across the bar was checking out my student ID badge that I ?accidentally forgot to take off after class.? Then we slammed Mojitos.

The sweetest babe action is going to be with the honies in the hospital though. Now that I'm a Medical Student the nurses will be all like, ?Who's the new white coat?? And I'll step up with ?Yo, check me out,? then they'll be all ?Wazuup baby baby?? And I'll say ?EKG this, Daaaayum.? And then we'll make out in the supply closet.

And when the all the chicas learn I was a Fiji , no contest bro, game over.

- Todd Stanton, MSI

damn your gonna have a bad fall once u wake up from your dream =)

BaylorHappy said:
no response....., also in some medschools there r common fridges to put our food in. Do they have these in baylor?

There's a student lounge with a fridge, microwave, soda & snack machines. But I was just in there last week and there was a funny smell. Lots of friendly people though!! :) We also are assigned lockers, and they ask us not to "store" food in there, but that's where I plan to stash my lunchbag every morning. I don't know about 'cubicles,' but I've seen students using unoccupied conference & PBL rooms for solitary studying.

curlycity said:
There's a student lounge with a fridge, microwave, soda & snack machines. But I was just in there last week and there was a funny smell. Lots of friendly people though!! :) We also are assigned lockers, and they ask us not to "store" food in there, but that's where I plan to stash my lunchbag every morning. I don't know about 'cubicles,' but I've seen students using unoccupied conference & PBL rooms for solitary studying.

also the library closes relatively early, i wonder were we can study on campus if we wanted to do some late night studying?

i just heard some disturbing news about the baylor-methodist split... apparently, the chair of a major department at baylor resigned last week in favor of joining methodist. he has a loyal following and methodist is offering lots of lab space, leading many to much speculation that the majority of the faculty in that whole department will defect... sorry for being vague about this... can anyone shed more light on this situation?

yeah, i've seen students studying in the pbl and conference rooms too. hmm, i know the mcgovern commons are open late, and it's pretty close to baylor. and i believe the student parking contract lets you park in the garages after-hours for no extra charge :)

http://www.bcm.edu/pa/leadersnamed070904.htm

looks like Dr. Micheal Lieberman is resigning. Possibly staying with Methodist? I was talking with an MSIII who had her surgery lecture cancelled because Traber called an emergency surgery faculty meeting. Apparently some students think he made a mistake, especially now that Methodist attendings have the opportunity to become Cornell professors. i think the surgery head is staying with Baylor, though :)

praying for the best! :)

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/metropolitan/2677186

"Methodist announced three weeks ago that it would be the teaching hospital for Cornell, which is affiliated with New York-Presbyterian Hospital."

I wonder how many Cornell residents from NY would opt to do rotations in Houston considering they had chosen Cornell in the first place? Are poor Cornell students going to have to fly down to Methodist to do rotations? I mean, how can you have a teaching hospital if there is no one to teach?

This sounds just as bad for Cornell students (if they are forced to go to Methodist for rotations or part of their residency) as it does Baylor students. Looks like the bottom line has won out again.

Also: "Because he was one of the signers of the letter, Lieberman was expected to stay with Methodist."

curlycity said:
The Esplanade is 1 or 2 blocks from the Museum District station.

Oooh I lied ... walked it the other day, more like 5 blocks. I'm definitely biking; walking and taking the train are both too time-consuming.

To be, all the crap going on now is all the more proof that Traber did NOT make a mistake. Baylor's clinic will make it that much more less dependant on outside entities - sure, it opens the school to more financial risk. But it also means that Baylor can make decisions solely based on what's best for the school's future, and not worry (well, worry less - the clinic's not a hospital) about what's going to piss off Methodist or any other affiliated hospital.

Does anyone know where Baylor's planning on having the clinic??? I know that space in the TMC is getting tight.......:confused:

bump!

orientation in a week and a half. :)

btw, utility companies in Houston are horrible. Don't ever have them make a mistake with your power. They will take 4 days to fix it. No joke./rant