AZCOM Class of 2014!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got my housing offer...

Members don't see this ad.

In case anybody was wondering and monitoring, the school should be sending out an email addressing the new process for federal loan applications in the near future--yes, even if you've already applied for this upcoming academic year, you'll have to reapply.

For any current azcom students or wise matriculants, what is the degree to which laptops are used day to day? Are they ubiquitous within the lecture hall or do a lot of students still take notes on paper? I always considered myself a pen and notebook oriented note taker and studier in general, but i was wondering if that just tends not to cut if in med school.

also, do smartphones (ie. iphones, droid) serve any greater purpose as a student other than being cool, because i know that they can access medical resources and information that could seemingly be very beneficial in studying incessantly. or is it just an extra, not necessary gizmo?
thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
For any current azcom students or wise matriculants, what is the degree to which laptops are used day to day? Are they ubiquitous within the lecture hall or do a lot of students still take notes on paper? I always considered myself a pen and notebook oriented note taker and studier in general, but i was wondering if that just tends not to cut if in med school.

also, do smartphones (ie. iphones, droid) serve any greater purpose as a student other than being cool, because i know that they can access medical resources and information that could seemingly be very beneficial in studying incessantly. or is it just an extra, not necessary gizmo?
thanks

AZCOM is pretty paper-and-pen oriented; I've only seen a large number of people use their laptops for Neuro. I stick to the paper notes, so I've never taken my laptop to class. Smartphones are a "cool" thing at this point (as an M1), but may be more beneficial for clinical years.

With that being said, I would recommend owning a laptop at least. Desktops are nice and all, but I like having the option of toting my computer around. If you're a paper note-taker, invest in a really good printer too. I bought an $80 HP inkjet which ended up sucking ink like nobody's business. I had to replace ink cartridges every couple weeks (you print a lot of color for anatomy), even on the "draft" setting. So I invested in a color laser on a Black Friday sale last year and it's been a world of difference. Spend a bit of money to save money, I guess.

I'm filling out the financial aid application stuff now...
Does anyone else find breathing difficult when you think about the debt we'll be undertaking? The crushing reality of the numbers didn't hit me until I started signing the MPNs.

I'm filling out the financial aid application stuff now...
Does anyone else find breathing difficult when you think about the debt we'll be undertaking? The crushing reality of the numbers didn't hit me until I started signing the MPNs.

Yeah, I think we've all had that moment, just don't look at the post below yours. lol

Just found out this morning! I couldn't breath for a second or two. AZCOM is my first choice and I am so incredibly happy. Anyone live in Flagstaff or in the valley?!

Nothing is better than calling your parents to say:
"MOM?.....DAD?.....I DID IT!"

I'll see y'all in August!!!!!

Yeeehaww!!!

I'll be going to AZCOM in the fall and I've been checking out house listings. I have a well trained german shepherd who needs a backyard. I'm looking for two more roommates, male or female, who would like to find a house. They need to be okay with dogs and clean. Theres no rush, I just want to start looking.

we want to put some feelers out there to see if there would be a demand for something like this. We are a family of 5 (3 kids under 3yr) and it would be a single room in a 4 bed house. The rent would be much cheaper ( ~$300m, cheaper than an on campus apartment WITH a roomate, yeah, you know you want it).

What we ask
- the renter would have to be female
- be respectful of quiet times (8pm-8am)
- christian/LDS standards (no alcohol, tobacco/smoking, coffee, etc.)
- no nighttime visitors (you know what we mean... ;)

What we would give
- access to dishes, pots, pans
- use of in house stove, oven, microwave
- free use of washer/dryer
- dishwasher access (no hand washing!)
- Wifi access and TV
- clean environment
- micro fridge in room (if desired)
- own garage space

Would you be interested in something like this? If you are, we are interested in making it happen. Please provide feedback on this discussion. We want to know if it works and why and if it doesn't and why also! Thanks!

Hey Everyone,

Another 1st year and I are looking for another roommate to share a house. I'm very clean and easy to get along with. We've checked out a bunch of houses and it looks like rent will be about $400. We'd like to live within 15mins of school. Email me if you're interested.

[email protected]

Hey all:
I'm a senior fellow in OMM. I just wanted to welcome you all to MWU. We have a great DO program here. Feel free to hit me up with any questions. I even have a contact for rooms for rent right next to school. (I lived there myself for two years). Congratulations and see you in OMM lab!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, just wanted to let you guys know I just withdrew from MWU - I hope a fellow SDNer gets my spot. Good luck!

Hey Everyone,

First of all congratulations to all of you who have been accepted and to those who are still waiting, I wish you the best of luck. I wanted to take the opportunity to introduce myself as we will be seeing a lot of each other over the next year. I am the Student Government Association President for the 2010-2011 Academic year. I am taking over Student Doctor Jatoi who has been posting here as well. I you have not joined the facebook page for AZCOM2014 and you have been accepted, I encourage you to do so. It can be found at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=167834788946&ref=ts. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me. I will forewarn you that I do not frequent these forums often but I will do my best to answer the questions that come on. I would also like to state that just as Student Doctor Jatoi was (and still is) not a fan of misinformation, neither am I. In light of this, I am happy to provide you with the most accurate and up to date information possible.

Good luck to all of you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Maxwell A. Braverman, OMS-II
Student Government Association President
Midwestern University - Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine

Hello AZCOMers,

I'm a internal medicine resident in Phoenix and azcom grad. I have a very nice 2bd/2ba condo 1.5 miles from school on a private golf course with lake view, garage, and much more that I'll be renting out for $975/month (and a discount for students signing a 2+ year lease). Price is cheaper than the apartments right across from school (San Lagos, etc) and much more is included than you would find there. See craigslist ad for more details!

Congrats on your acceptance!!! Email with any questions.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/apa/1803534361.html

Mike
[email protected]

Hey everyone,

Just got the call this morning, ACCEPTED!! This was my first choice, very excited for this opportunity!!

Hi everyone,
I'm a current MS III. One of your fellow classmates asked for the biochem syllabus for 1st quarter, so I thought I would post it for everyone. Take this with a grain of salt- while I’m sure the order of the lectures will remain pretty much the same, the time line will be different with you guys. Class of 2012’s 1st quarter was 10 weeks long, where as Class of 2014’s will be 14 weeks (?) long.

Also, here is the link to the block schedules: http://www.midwestern.edu/x1873.xml
The MS I schedule will likely be posted later in the summer, but if you are curious, take a look at PM I schedule (i.e. Podiatric medicine I - we take the same basic sciences classes together).
PM 1: http://www.midwestern.edu/Documents/Registrar/Fall/PM I Fall 10.pdf
The only likely differences between the PM 1 Schedule and the MS I schedule will be #1) Thursday morning will be your "Intro to clinical medicine course" (replacing the Podiatric clinical class) and #2) Wed afternoon will be filled with OMM lecture and lab

Attachments

• Biochem Fall 2008-pdf.pdf
    279.7 KB · Views: 273
  • Lectures.docx
    12.2 KB · Views: 215
Last edited:
never mind - I had my question answered.

Congrats to all of those accepted for this years class and hope to see you there next year. :)

Last edited:
Question for you guys: shirt and tie on the first day of orientation? I know the letter said it casual but with our mugs being taken, I was curious if others were going to dress up. I wouldn't want to be the only guy wearing shorts and t-shirt...lol

Question for you guys: shirt and tie on the first day of orientation? I know the letter said it casual but with our mugs being taken, I was curious if others were going to dress up. I wouldn't want to be the only guy wearing shorts and t-shirt...lol

Shirt and tie are unnecessary... just look reasonably nice. Last year when I started school, most people dressed really nice for the first week or two. After seeing everyone else dress nice, I went out and bought extra new clothes as I didn't want to wear t-shirts etc with everyone else looking so good. The funny thing was that once exams got going, many people started wearing t-shirts and pajama pants to class (especially on test days as they were obviously up most of the night studying). Thus I soon realized all my extra clothes were unnecessary. :p Anyway, dressing nice is still fun. Plus there will be a few social events during the year where you might have the opportunity to suit up (guys) or wear cocktail dresses (ladies).

Shirt and tie are unnecessary... just look reasonably nice. Last year when I started school, most people dressed really nice for the first week or two. After seeing everyone else dress nice, I went out and bought extra new clothes as I didn't want to wear t-shirts etc with everyone else looking so good. The funny thing was that once exams got going, many people started wearing t-shirts and pajama pants to class (especially on test days as they were obviously up most of the night studying). Thus I soon realized all my extra clothes were unnecessary. :p Anyway, dressing nice is still fun. Plus there will be a few social events during the year where you might have the opportunity to suit up (guys) or wear cocktail dresses (ladies).

What about on the first day of orientation - did you wear a shirt and tie for the photo? Thank you, rkaz!

What about on the first day of orientation - did you wear a shirt and tie for the photo? Thank you, rkaz!

Since I'm a woman, I wore a nice blouse and made sure my hair looked nice. ;) I wanted to look good, especially as that picture will follow me all 4 years, as we keep the same student ID badge through 3rd and 4th year rotations. A copy of our entire class' pictures is also found in our OMM manuals (to help us identify one another), so everyone gets to see those as well.

I think the tie would be a bit over the top for guys, but a 'business casual' look might be best. (Some people of course will still wear t-shirts and jeans which is no big deal, but I think a slightly dressed up appearance is nice for the first week or so at least.) I'm thinking a collared shirt with some nice slacks or khakis. Possibly some sort of casual tie could be worn with this outfit if you really wanted to. I am always happy to see handsome, clean, well-dressed men... especially if they are friendly and kind too. :p

Last edited:
Hey guys, I just started the MSIV year at AZCOM. I've done some audition rotations back east and have come to the conclusion that AZCOM doens't really help much when it comes to residency programs. The student at AZCOM traditionally do really well but all that credit should be on the student. I know for a fact that the 3 residency programs for anesthesia in Michigan have a huge preference for MSU grad and Michigan residents. The same can be said for the other schools that have an affiliated hospital to rotate at. It's worth thinking about the 3rd and 4th year plans. AZCOM does a lot of preceptor work since they have very limited hospital availability. The other schools seem to have an edge since they are at a certain few hospitals for almost 3rd and 4th year. If you do come to AZCOM we do ship ~30 people from each class to OH for the CORE rotations which are at big residency hospitals, so I would do that. If you are thinking of a highly competitive residency then the programs you apply to need to know who you are and sometimes a 2 week audition just doesn't cut it when there is a local student there who has been there for his entire 3rd year. I'm glad you're exited for AZCOM, I was too, but it seems most of my class and previous classes are dissapointed with the experience.

I was checking out the required immunizations on MWUnet, and I noticed that a drug screen is listed. Who pays for the drug screen, the students or AZCOM?

I was checking out the required immunizations on MWUnet, and I noticed that a drug screen is listed. Who pays for the drug screen, the students or AZCOM?

I'd assume the student, drug screens aren't expensive though. I know the one at my urgent care will only set you back $38

I just spoke to somebody at Student Services and they said to not worry about it as it pertains to the clinical years.

Hi all! I just found out yesterday that I'm going to be attending AZCOM this fall! Looking forward to meeting you all!

So back to the question of dress for orientation, what do you think women should wear for the first day? I am dreading dressing up in 100+ degree weather? What about shoes? Is in inappropriate to wear sandals even in the dessert?

Hi all! I just found out yesterday that I'm going to be attending AZCOM this fall! Looking forward to meeting you all!

So back to the question of dress for orientation, what do you think women should wear for the first day? I am dreading dressing up in 100+ degree weather? What about shoes? Is in inappropriate to wear sandals even in the dessert?

Quoted from a current student when the same question was posed:

The first day you will be getting your ID picture taken so don't wear a hat, brush your hair, girls put makeup on if that's your thing. You will be doing a lot of sitting and will be walking between buildings once or twice. Most people wear shorts or jeans and tees, girls can get away with a modest tank top.

Hopefully that should help somewhat. I'd figure the sandals would be a non-issue also.
Congrats on getting in and we'll see you in a couple of weeks!

I'm a senior OMM fellow. It's time to get excited! Feel free to hit me up with questions about the program, or housing. I know of rooms for rent next to school. Enjoy the summer!

Wanted to cross-post this in the pre-DO and this thread:

There has been a growing group of us soon-to-be first years that get together regularly and swim/hike/play beer pong. The other day we had a five on five basketball game at MWU. If anyone just moved here or wants to get together, please drop me a PM. I'm in San Lagos and with the lack of stuff to do (come ooooon financial aid!) I'm always down to hang out. See everyone next week!