AZCOM Class of 2014!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DarthBroosevelt

Look, Press, n' Roll!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I thought that I'd start a thread of all the students planning to attend AZCOM starting in the Fall of 2010.

My name's Ben and I'm from Rohnert Park, CA. I'm going to Sonoma State University, trying to survive pchem. I'm super excited to be going to AZCOM but it hasn't really hit me yet that I'm finally gonna hit the road to becoming a doctor!

Who else is in the class of 2014??

-DB

Members don't see this ad.

Which day did you interview? Are you the same Ben I met on Sept 24? I'm Christine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Everyone!

I thought that I'd start a thread of all the students planning to attend AZCOM starting in the Fall of 2010.

My name's Ben and I'm from Rohnert Park, CA. I'm going to Sonoma State University, trying to survive pchem. I'm super excited to be going to AZCOM but it hasn't really hit me yet that I'm finally gonna hit the road to becoming a doctor!

-DB

Well that makes two of us. My name is also Ben. I interviewed on 9/18, I'm the guy who was taking out his tongue ring right before the interview :D. I am still holding out to interview at a couple more schools, but right now AZCOM in my first choice. What a wonderful school!!!

Got my acceptance to Midwestern last Friday!!!

Ben and Christine from the 24th?? Hey it's Winay I got in too!! are you guys planning on attending?

tongue ring? god everyone i have interviewed with EVERYWHERE has been so straight edge. everyone thought i was crazy for hitting up Tempe the night before (and everyone i met did not drink AT ALL ever)... congrats guys

Hey, it's Hollie. I also got in, I am so excited!! Are you going to go to AZCOM?

If I can scrape up $312 647 to deposit into a U.S. bank account, then I'm in..that's a big "IF"

I wish they didn't make it so difficult...

:(

I'm glad to see you guys got in together. Have you heard from anywhere else if you got in together? Or have you guys decided on AZCOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
We still haven't heard from SOMA, but we don't like that school at all. We'll see if we get anymore interviews to the same place, but I love AZCOM and hope we go there.

Hey Everyone!

-DB

I got into AZCOM but I am thinking of going to Touro CA instead.

Accepted! I really liked the school but have a few more interviews lined up. AZCOM is definitely up at the top of my list currently!

I got into AZCOM but I am thinking of going to Touro CA instead.

I also got into both schools but am concerned about the rotations at them. I hope I get in somewhere else since rotations are really important. It sucks Touro gives you two weeks to decide.

I don't know too much about Touro, but I know the area isn't the greatest. I live about 45 minutes north and Vallejo isn't the nicest place to live.

Congrats Hollie, Winay, and Christine! Hopefully you can find that money Christine, and it's great that Hollie and Winay got in together... might have to arrange a wedding at that new chapel they're building, eh? Haha.

I'm set on this school, so let me know if you guys decide on it for sure. You can also find me on facebook, I barely ever check SDN. I'm in the Sonoma 2010 network, my name's Ben Smith.

Just curious, what makes you all so dead-set on AZCOM? I liked the school but can't say for certain, at this point, whether I'll ultimately matriculate.

If you all had to choose, what is the one major benefit of AZCOM (as you see it) versus other schools?

Got my acceptance over a week ago and was completely stoked. I went to this interview with 3 acceptances under my belt already. I had been accepted to TOURO NV, LECOM Erie, and Des Moines University. I almost didnt even go to the interview, but I was very glad I did. When i got there i was stunned. The campus is gorgeous, the curriculum places a ton of emphasis on the boards, and they have emergency medicine research going on at the school. Add the fact that I am 5 hours driving time from home and we got us a winner!

I have declined all acceptances except for DMU, but I am 90% sure Im going to AZCOM. See you guys in the Fall!

Just curious, what makes you all so dead-set on AZCOM? I liked the school but can't say for certain, at this point, whether I'll ultimately matriculate.

If you all had to choose, what is the one major benefit of AZCOM (as you see it) versus other schools?

dokholiday did a good job at mentioning some of the things about AZCOM that draw me there. The campus itself was nice, but my current college campus is in northern CA so I'm completely spoiled by beautiful trees and bright green grass and a park, etc. Three major things that drew me towards
AZCOM are:

1). A lot of emphasis on prepping for boards. It seems like you do a lot of practice and get used to the format so that when you take 'the real thing', it doesn't seem too hard/surprising.

2). Class ranking doesn't begin until the end of your 2nd year. For me, this was a big thing! I'm not saying that I won't transition well into medical school, but I'm sure the extra workload, meeting new people, a new campus, new state, etc. will be a lot to handle at once and my grades may not be as good as they could be. I like that they give you time to settle before stressing class ranking.

3). A variety of residency spots. AZCOM has some impressive residency options (Mayo, for example). Not only do they have a wide variety of residency spots, but from the Ppt Presentation they showed us (and everyone else who interviewed, I'm guessing) seems to show that AZCOM matches very competitively with MD students for residency spots. In a lot of cases, they showed that residency sites were more impressed with the DO students from AZCOM as opposed to MD students from other campuses.

Hope this helps.

dokholiday did a good job at mentioning some of the things about AZCOM that draw me there. The campus itself was nice, but my current college campus is in northern CA so I'm completely spoiled by beautiful trees and bright green grass and a park, etc. Three major things that drew me towards
AZCOM are:

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the input. The only things holding me back are the desert climate and, to a greater extent, the apparent lack of a sim lab for the med students. I agree though, the campus is beautiful and the curriculum looks solid.

I really liked the school, too. I for one liked the climate and sandy decor...but, I think its exciting b/c its all pretty much new visage for me. i was impressed with the campus and the students and faculty seemed happy and content for the most part. one thing i didn't like was the large class size but when i asked about it during my interview, they said they have been increasing the faculty along with the size of the class so the faculty:student stayed pretty much the same.

azcom is definitely one of my top choices thus far. i'd be more than happy matriculating there. recently i interviewed at vcom and really liked what i saw. if i have to make a decision its going to be a tough one!

Hi Everyone,

My name is Rob Gresser. I am new to SDN, but am loving every aspect of it! AZCOM is the top school for me, specially since I live SE of Phoenix. I have an interview on November 11th. Congratulations to all of you who have been accepted. Since you all have been accepted already, any advice for the interview? I am an older student and have worked in the health care field for about 10 years. Thanks for any help you may be able to offer. I am looking forward to hopefully being a classmate with all of you! Have a greatw eek!

Hi Everyone,

My name is Rob Gresser. I am new to SDN, but am loving every aspect of it! AZCOM is the top school for me, specially since I live SE of Phoenix. I have an interview on November 11th. Congratulations to all of you who have been accepted. Since you all have been accepted already, any advice for the interview? I am an older student and have worked in the health care field for about 10 years. Thanks for any help you may be able to offer. I am looking forward to hopefully being a classmate with all of you! Have a greatw eek!

Check out the interview feedback. Several of my questions were exactly the same! The interviewers were very friendly and youll do fine. Good luck!

I am super excited to go to AZCOM. I got my acceptance last week. I already started looking for housing! Anyone looking for a room mate for off campus apartment?

Hi Everyone,

Hey Rob.

As MN premed said, you should check out the interview feedback. It'll help for any school. Link here: http://more.studentdoctor.net/schoollist.php?type=1

I'm sure many people have told you, there's nothing to worry about for the Midwestern University interview. They don't really interview you, they develop more of a conversation and it makes you feel very relaxed. I know it sounds ridiculous to say "be relaxed", but it really is true!

Good luck with everything.

Hey Rob.

As MN premed said, you should check out the interview feedback. It'll help for any school. Link here: http://more.studentdoctor.net/schoollist.php?type=1

I'm sure many people have told you, there's nothing to worry about for the Midwestern University interview. They don't really interview you, they develop more of a conversation and it makes you feel very relaxed. I know it sounds ridiculous to say "be relaxed", but it really is true!

Good luck with everything.

Thanks Darth and MN Premed. I really appreciate the advice. I am looking forward to being back on AZCOM's campus, as my wife and I toured it in June. Everyone is so friendly! If accepted there, there is no other choice for me! I look forward to hopefully being in class with all of you next summer! Again congrats to all of you already accepted!

tongue ring? god everyone i have interviewed with EVERYWHERE has been so straight edge. everyone thought i was crazy for hitting up Tempe the night before (and everyone i met did not drink AT ALL ever)... congrats guys

Haha, I've been having to take my nose stud out before every interview day. :D

Hi, im a 3rd year.

I just wanted to say congrats on your acceptances into AZCOM, and there are plenty of students that would be more than willing to answer any questions you guys/gals have.

Enjoy the time off you have before starting med school, because things change a bit when you start.

Hi, im a 3rd year.

I just wanted to say congrats on your acceptances into AZCOM, and there are plenty of students that would be more than willing to answer any questions you guys/gals have.

Enjoy the time off you have before starting med school, because things change a bit when you start.

Can you tell me about your experience with the clinical rotations thus far? From what I've found, most schools are relatively the same when it comes to basic science preparation and my decision where to attend will lay heavily on how clinical education is structured. Do you have to set up your own rotations? Are the attendings willing and happy to teach you (i.e. are they being paid to teach?) How many students are you currently rotating with? Do you get to assist in any procedures? Are all the rotations done in hospitals? (an ob/gyn rotation at a clinic probably means you'll never see a person give birth), etc. And anything else you can think of would be really helpful! Thank you!

Hi there, Ms2 here:

While I can't comment on what it is like to be on the rotations, I can describe the new system of how students are being assigned to rotations (this is a new change being implemented for my class).

The following only describes 3rd year. 4th year is mostly electives (a few core rotations) and may be done anywhere the student wishes for the most part.

Students will be assigned to a region (4 metro phoenix sites, Tucson, 6 rural AZ sites, 2 CA sites, and 3 Ohio sites). This is done via match-like process where the student ranks their top 4 regions.

After the region is decided, students will then perform a similar procedure to decide which track (ie. order in which the student will progress through the different rotations).

After that, the students will "wash, rinse, repeat" to decide on what exact rotations (ie with which specific hospital or physician) the student will be participating in.

Whether or not you will be doing a ward based (ie rotation is at a location with a residency program) or hospital based or preceptor/office base for any particular rotation, is largely dep on your region, career goals, and the rotations w/in each region.

Hope that helps a bit- the 3rd years can comment on the quality of the rotations, as the regions have been designed around rotations that students (some exceptions) have previously rotated at.

Can you tell me about your experience with the clinical rotations thus far? From what I've found, most schools are relatively the same when it comes to basic science preparation and my decision where to attend will lay heavily on how clinical education is structured. Do you have to set up your own rotations? Are the attendings willing and happy to teach you (i.e. are they being paid to teach?) How many students are you currently rotating with? Do you get to assist in any procedures? Are all the rotations done in hospitals? (an ob/gyn rotation at a clinic probably means you'll never see a person give birth), etc. And anything else you can think of would be really helpful! Thank you!
The MSII that responded to your question will be able to answer specifics about rotations pertinent to you a lot better, because the rotation system is changing starting with their class(which will carry over to the 2014 class).

I can answer a few things though...

Attendings are 'generally' more than happy to teach, thats why they take you on. Now will you have some rotations better than others? Absolutely.
I've been fortunate enough so far to really enjoy all of my rotations, but it doesnt always work out like that.

Usually, if you are with a preceptor, often times you will be the only student. Sometimes you may have to work with one other student...which is perfectly fine. On ward based rotations there will be students everywhere, and you will be assigned to a 'team' with other students.

And lastly, at practically every rotation, regardless of specialty, you will be doing procedures. Some rotations are more procedure based than others(a lot in ER or Surg, not so much in Psych)...and it also depends on how proactive you are
A)wanting to do those procedures and...
B)that you tried your best at learning/mastering those procedures before going into that rotation.

So a surgeon wont expect you to be a master with lap tools...but they expect you know how to handle most other instruments and hand tie/instrument tie.

I hope that answered some questions...and feel free to ask away. I will tell you that med school is as difficult as 'they' say it is. But sooner rather than later the light will appear at the end of the tunnel.

The MSII that responded to your question will be able to answer specifics about rotations pertinent to you a lot better, because the rotation system is changing starting with their class(which will carry over to the 2014 class).

I can answer a few things though...

Attendings are 'generally' more than happy to teach, thats why they take you on. Now will you have some rotations better than others? Absolutely.
I've been fortunate enough so far to really enjoy all of my rotations, but it doesnt always work out like that.

Usually, if you are with a preceptor, often times you will be the only student. Sometimes you may have to work with one other student...which is perfectly fine. On ward based rotations there will be students everywhere, and you will be assigned to a 'team' with other students.

And lastly, at practically every rotation, regardless of specialty, you will be doing procedures. Some rotations are more procedure based than others(a lot in ER or Surg, not so much in Psych)...and it also depends on how proactive you are
A)wanting to do those procedures and...
B)that you tried your best at learning/mastering those procedures before going into that rotation.

So a surgeon wont expect you to be a master with lap tools...but they expect you know how to handle most other instruments and hand tie/instrument tie.

I hope that answered some questions...and feel free to ask away. I will tell you that med school is as difficult as 'they' say it is. But sooner rather than later the light will appear at the end of the tunnel.

That was helpful, thank you!

Would you say that the way rotations are set up/quality of rotations/availability of choice is better, equal to, or worse than rotations at other osteopathic schools? I guess this is hard to answer since no one really knows what other schools are like... :confused: From what I can gather through various threads is that there are pros and cons, rotation-wise, at every school -- and experiences vary from student to student and also from year to year. So it's hard to say outright one is better than the other.

I really loved the vibe I got from AZCOM. The high tuition is the only thing that is turning me off from the school. If tuition was the same as another med school that I'm trying to decide between, I would choose AZCOM for sure. But so many current medical students seem to suggest that cheapest med school is the way to go. Any insight into this matter from current students at AZCOM?

Azcom is in a transitional phase as far as 3rd year set up (4th year at most schools, including AZCOM, is pretty free range. You have a few core rotations, but most are electives; all of which can be done where ever the student likes within the USA).

A few years ago, the majority of the rotations were preceptor based and students didn't have a lot of restrictions as to where they could go for their rotations (meaning they could pretty much go anywhere in the US). The administration found that this set up did not produce a standardize quality of education. So they are in the process of bringing students back to AZ (and a few out state sites) and are introducing more ward-based options for students; which builds a better resume for 4th year and residencies. Right now the 2010’s have a different set up, than the 2011’s, and the 2012s will also be starting their new regional set up. For those of you who have interviewed already, the presentation on rotations is what the 2012’s are doing, which will likely reflect your 3rd year. However, they may add more rotations as they break-in the new system (so it will only get better).

When I’ve talked to upperclassmen I haven’t heard anyone be disappointed with their rotations. However, they do always give the advice to be proactive about setting up your rotations. So during your 2nd year, you should be speaking with the clinical edu department heads to get a feel as to which region/rotations will have the best opportunities for your future career. You’ll also want to do some research on when to do key rotations- there is a bit of strategy on how to set your 3rd and 4th years for residency applications. So if you want to be a surgery god, don’t expect to get a great experience if you’re uninvolved in your rotation planning.

Hey, I have a question for current students. On my interview day, we were told that tests are set up so that you have one every week, instead of a bunch in a block. They said that they are on Mondays, and that you never get any free time on weekends. Although I like the idea of a test every week instead of tests clumped together or too spread out, it bothers me that it's on a Monday. Do you feel like you never had a weekend off? Or on weekends, did you feel like you had no free time? Is it possible to get most of your studying done during the week if you have plans for the weekend? If I go to AZCOM, my boyfriend will be about 4 hours away, and weekends would be the time where he'd be able to drive out and visit me, or I would drive out to visit him. Is that pretty much impossible with exams on every Monday? I know I would need to study on weekends, but I don't want to be a drone on weekends that we're together...

Wow can you tell I'm procrastinating from studying???

No matter where you go to medical school, you will be doing more studying that you have ever done in the past- guaranteed. Therefore, even if you go to a school that does block exams, you will probably still be studying on the weekends. Also, starting 2nd quarter @ AZCOM, exams are twice a week.
While I would say the majority of students use the weekends as their key study time, I have heard of student s (usually those with kids) who try to cram the majority of study time into the weekdays and then do less on the weekends.
Medical school is a huge adjustment in general, but you get used to it. You learn how to prioritize, how to be efficient, and when to take time to keep your sanity- and the majority of us survive. It’s all about how you manage your time. Most students would say they have no lives, but we all get out there and do fun things every once in a while.

Wow can you tell I'm procrastinating from studying???

No matter where you go to medical school, you will be doing more studying that you have ever done in the past- guaranteed. Therefore, even if you go to a school that does block exams, you will probably still be studying on the weekends. Also, starting 2nd quarter @ AZCOM, exams are twice a week.
While I would say the majority of students use the weekends as their key study time, I have heard of student s (usually those with kids) who try to cram the majority of study time into the weekdays and then do less on the weekends.
Medical school is a huge adjustment in general, but you get used to it. You learn how to prioritize, how to be efficient, and when to take time to keep your sanity- and the majority of us survive. It’s all about how you manage your time. Most students would say they have no lives, but we all get out there and do fun things every once in a while.

Hm. Well I know that it's going to be a lot of studying wherever, but I do think that the question I asked will differ from school to school. At my Touro interview, the students there said that because they have block exams, they for sure know that the weekend after a block exam they will not need to be studying. So they often plan trips home or whatever for those weekends. When you have a test every Monday, it seems like it's way more likely that you won't be able to plan a weekend trip. But anyways, thanks for the answer. I suppose if I chose AZCOM, I could just try to study more during the week on the weeks that I would like to do something else on the weekend.

Hi people,
I really want to live in on-campus housing but they don't allow pets. Boo.

Can someone recommend a really nice apartment close to campus that allows pets? Closer the better, price isn't that big of an issue.

Thanks, thanks, thanks.

Hm. Well I know that it's going to be a lot of studying wherever, but I do think that the question I asked will differ from school to school. At my Touro interview, the students there said that because they have block exams, they for sure know that the weekend after a block exam they will not need to be studying. So they often plan trips home or whatever for those weekends. When you have a test every Monday, it seems like it's way more likely that you won't be able to plan a weekend trip. But anyways, thanks for the answer. I suppose if I chose AZCOM, I could just try to study more during the week on the weeks that I would like to do something else on the weekend.
I'm sure you read it, but there is the possibility you missed it...

The Monday weekly exams only exist in your first quarter of school.
Then it goes to Monday and Thursday/or/Friday exams weekly.

Not every single week is that way, but many are...so even if you study like crazy during the week, it will be mostly for the Friday exam. Then you have that weekend for the next Monday exam...and the cycle continues.

Will you find time to do stuff on some weekends? Sure, absolutely.

I would say of all the days in the week with the most free time though, Monday night is it. But you will figure out your own routine.

I'm sure you read it, but there is the possibility you missed it...

The Monday weekly exams only exist in your first quarter of school.
Then it goes to Monday and Thursday/or/Friday exams weekly.

Not every single week is that way, but many are...so even if you study like crazy during the week, it will be mostly for the Friday exam. Then you have that weekend for the next Monday exam...and the cycle continues.

Will you find time to do stuff on some weekends? Sure, absolutely.

I would say of all the days in the week with the most free time though, Monday night is it. But you will figure out your own routine.

Thanks, I noticed it, but it was nice to get a little more detail on it! I suppose that it probably won't make much of a difference wherever I go. I'm sure no matter where, I'll be studying every day the same amount anyways. I'm just trying to compare schools in my head. :) Next year should be an adventure

Thanks, I noticed it, but it was nice to get a little more detail on it! I suppose that it probably won't make much of a difference wherever I go. I'm sure no matter where, I'll be studying every day the same amount anyways. I'm just trying to compare schools in my head. :) Next year should be an adventure
I would describe it more like "arduous, yet rewarding", personally.

Hi everyone...

Congrats on your acceptance to AZCOM!

I'm a fourth year and am selling my diagnostic equipment that I purchased at the start of my first year. The kit I have has everything that the physician that teaches the first year clinical medicine class recommends. These kits are about $800 new. The one I have includes panoptic and standard opthalmoscopes, otoscope, and an attachment for looking in the nose. Mine is barely used and I would be willing to sell it for an outstanding price and pay shipping.

Please PM me if interested.

Hey everybody! I interviewed on 10/22 and just sent in my deposit!! I'm so excited!!:p

Hey, I have a question for current students. On my interview day, we were told that tests are set up so that you have one every week, instead of a bunch in a block. They said that they are on Mondays, and that you never get any free time on weekends. Although I like the idea of a test every week instead of tests clumped together or too spread out, it bothers me that it's on a Monday. Do you feel like you never had a weekend off? Or on weekends, did you feel like you had no free time? Is it possible to get most of your studying done during the week if you have plans for the weekend? If I go to AZCOM, my boyfriend will be about 4 hours away, and weekends would be the time where he'd be able to drive out and visit me, or I would drive out to visit him. Is that pretty much impossible with exams on every Monday? I know I would need to study on weekends, but I don't want to be a drone on weekends that we're together...
This is me procrastinating studying for my OMM exam tomorrow....

Out at TCOM we have the same thing-system exams on Mondays. At first it does sound pretty sad, but then I started to talk to friends who had block tests and they feel like it's torture. Your weekends do end up being full on study sessions-but really if you have not kept up during the week. If you have the discipline, you study all the material during the week like you have a test on it the next day, and then the weekends are just for review. It just depends on how much you can get done. Good luck :luck::luck:

For AZ residents/current medical students;

How are the new on-campus apartments? I think I'm looking in particular at the One Bedroom+Den for $730.00/month. How do the prices of on-campus housing compare to that of off-campus?

Thanks in advance.