***AZCOM Class of 2011***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know which cell phone companies have the best coverage in the Glendale area? The reason why I ask is b/c I don't want to repeat what happened when I went to UCD...Sprint does not get very good service in most parts of Davis :(. I just don't want that to happen again. Thanks!

I have alltel, which works well in Glendale and the surrounding Areas.

I am not sure about the other major providers, but do not get Cricket because it loses service in some of the surrounding areas.

Members don't see this ad.

DocBR, it's yearly. We won't go without health insurance for the whole four years if you choose the school plan. It's not a bad deal (if you're used to paying up the wazoo for insurance as a non-trad especially!). August 22, 2007 through August 21, 2008. Did you see the brochure from the Chickering group?

Thanks for the info.
Hmmm. I would like to stay on (freeload off of) my dad's policy through January 2008, but not if that means I won't be able to join MWU's policy at that time. I will call them and maybe they can prorate the year or something.

Thanks for the info.
Hmmm. I would like to stay on (freeload off of) my dad's policy through January 2008, but not if that means I won't be able to join MWU's policy at that time. I will call them and maybe they can prorate the year or something.

I think they can do that. I'm sure a lot of people are in that situation!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know which cell phone companies have the best coverage in the Glendale area? The reason why I ask is b/c I don't want to repeat what happened when I went to UCD...Sprint does not get very good service in most parts of Davis :(. I just don't want that to happen again. Thanks!

My T-Mobile connection worked great all around Glendale,for what it's worth. But the real question is, does AT&T work..............you know, because of the iPhone!!! Can't wait for that puppy to come down in price :love:

My T-Mobile connection worked great all around Glendale,for what it's worth. But the real question is, does AT&T work..............you know, because of the iPhone!!! Can't wait for that puppy to come down in price :love:

Seriously, that phone looks really fun!!! I'm always afraid to get brand new technology though; for some reason, they usually have problems right off the bat (not turning on or off, freezing...). I think you have the right idea; wait until after the price goes down AND they work out all the glitches ;)

p.s. have all you guys already bought your stethoscope, otoscope and ophthalmoscope? I wasn't sure If I should have them ready to go before classes start or if I should wait. Any ideas out there?

p.s. have all you guys already bought your stethoscope, otoscope and ophthalmoscope? I wasn't sure If I should have them ready to go before classes start or if I should wait. Any ideas out there?

I think I will be buying mine on Ebay before classes begin. I've seen brand new stuff for 30%-40% of the bookstore cost.

Thanks for the info.

Hi there! I was wondering the same thing about my current policy, but unfortunately found this text on the Health Insurance waiver form from AZCOM. Maybe they make acceptions though...good luck! I know I will need it! ;)

• Please note that open enrollment periods only occur at the beginning of one's academic year and a student cannot sign up for the student plan at times outside of the open enrollment period unless a student has a qualifying event. Qualifying events occur when one loses their existing insurance coverage, such as when one loses a job and is thus dropped from an employer's health insurance plan, or when a student reaches a certain age (usually sometime between 21-25) through which the student is no longer covered on their parents' plan, or when a student is a new parent and needs to add a dependent to his/her plan (in the case of a newborn/adoption).
  • Please also be aware that the student health insurance plan is billed on a quarterly basis and is not prorated.

I think I will be buying mine on Ebay before classes begin. I've seen brand new stuff for 30%-40% of the bookstore cost.

I bought my stethoscope already but I am planning on waiting to buy everything else. My big sis told me that you don't really use the other medical equipment much and you can usually borrow someone else's for class. She also told me that there is usually some sort of sale at orientation where you can buy that stuff. I think going through Ebay is also a great idea to save some money. All that can add up!

Oh MAN, this move is insane!

I am sitting in a Best Western in Whitehorse, Yukon. We have driven 700 miles since yesterday morning. I have been attacked by killer mosquitoes, jostled about by permafrost-destroyed stretches of remote highway, and if I hear the word "out" pronounced "oot" one more time I think I will throw in the towel! Ha!

It's actually a beautiful drive - Canada is lovely - but the fact that we are only about 1/8th of the way through our trip is a little daunting!

Oh MAN, this move is insane!

I am sitting in a Best Western in Whitehorse, Yukon. We have driven 700 miles since yesterday morning. I have been attacked by killer mosquitoes, jostled about by permafrost-destroyed stretches of remote highway, and if I hear the word "out" pronounced "oot" one more time I think I will throw in the towel! Ha!

It's actually a beautiful drive - Canada is lovely - but the fact that we are only about 1/8th of the way through our trip is a little daunting!

Good luck on the rest of the drive and drive safe. Glad to hear you have nice scenery to look at on the endless drive :)

I bought my stethoscope already but I am planning on waiting to buy everything else. My big sis told me that you don't really use the other medical equipment much and you can usually borrow someone else's for class. She also told me that there is usually some sort of sale at orientation where you can buy that stuff. I think going through Ebay is also a great idea to save some money. All that can add up!
I would suggest you NOT buy the equipment from the bookstore. They do offer a "discount" at the beginning of the year, but it's still a rip off. Find the stuff online if you want it. It's not mandatory. I like having my own equipment but some of my classmates just borrowed from other people and they didn't seem to mind.

I would suggest you NOT buy the equipment from the bookstore. They do offer a "discount" at the beginning of the year, but it's still a rip off. Find the stuff online if you want it. It's not mandatory. I like having my own equipment but some of my classmates just borrowed from other people and they didn't seem to mind.

Goozbah, I was looking at stethescopes. Could you offer any insight on which would be the better buy? I found a Littmann cardio III very cheap. Is it worth it? Or should I go with something cheaper like a master II?

Goozbah, I was looking at stethescopes. Could you offer any insight on which would be the better buy? I found a Littmann cardio III very cheap. Is it worth it? Or should I go with something cheaper like a master II?

You could go with the Cardio III. It's a good stethoscope. I have a Cardiology STC and a Master Classic II. I like both of them and they are both very good stethoscopes. Bottom line, if you have the ear for what you're hearing, then any stethoscope that works will do. If you need to diagnose Level 1 heart murmurs (basically the ones that cardiologists can only hear, and you wonder if they're making them up), you probably still wouldn't hear it with the electronic one. Are the cardio ones slightly better?...yes...Are they THAT much better?...Probably not.

There are too main differences in most of the cardio stethoscopes compared to the regular ones. The cardio ones have a tubing that splits like a Y with a connection between the two upper poles. The other ones split more like T. Also, the heads are perhaps a little bit better on cardios. All of littmann's stethoscopes come with the tunable heads which is very cool. Most older stethoscopes have two sides and you can turn them around for bell mode or diaphragm mode. Littmann's usually only have one side and it is tunable to both sides. Check out their website for more info.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Littmann/stethoscope/products/tunable-tech/

Bottom line. Just about any stethoscope will do. I like littmann's. Decide what you want to spend. Most doctors use them 10-20 times a day for the rest of their life. Even if you buy a $200 scope, it'll be a great investment at pennies a day. (assuming you don't break it) But if you want to get that $50-70 scope, you'll be satisfied with that one too. I personally wouldn't get an electronic one because there's really no need. (Unless you're 100% sure on becoming a world famed cardiologist).

Members don't see this ad :)
While we are on the topic of equipments, my big bro told me that AZCOM recommends Welch Allyn for otoscope and ophthalmoscopes. My question is, they offer this new model called PanOptic; does it have any advantages in getting that one? or would the older models suffice? Secondly (if anyone know) how much does the bookstore sell them for? I'm starting to search online for cheaper prices. I'm keeping away from Ebay for this one because of possible warranty/repair issues. Any reply would be appreciated.

P.S. I abhor the heat, I will die, I will be indoors all day and all night, I will be so pale... *faint

Hi all!

Hope those of you that have moved to AZ already are putting those air conditioners to good use! I've already gone to Costco and bought me the economy sized deodorant and am feeling pretty well-prepared. :)

Much earlier in this thread, many of you proposed having a get-together of some sort so that we can all meet each other before school starts. Anyone still interested in doing this? I'd be happy to make the arrangements...and welcome any and all suggestions. Most likely, it will have to be something indoors and could possibly involve a cocktail or two?

Let me know what you think! I am looking forward to meeting all of you.

Hi all!

Hope those of you that have moved to AZ already are putting those air conditioners to good use! I've already gone to Costco and bought me the economy sized deodorant and am feeling pretty well-prepared. :)

Much earlier in this thread, many of you proposed having a get-together of some sort so that we can all meet each other before school starts. Anyone still interested in doing this? I'd be happy to make the arrangements...and welcome any and all suggestions. Most likely, it will have to be something indoors and could possibly involve a cocktail or two?

I'm definitely still interest and cocktails sound great!! I'm already out here and am available anytime after july 18th. My best friend is coming out to visit for the next week so I'll be busy with her. But keep me posted on any plans.

I am definitly still interested. I am moving to Glendale on the 21st of this month!

Okay, so in order to keep this all together, I'm going to start an evite.

If all of you who are interested want to send me a PM with the date you'll be in AZ (and available), plus your email addresses, I can compile the list and send you all the official word based on everyone's responses. Also, please feel free to send more suggestions. Heck, I'm not averse to drinks, food, skee ball, or bungee jumping, as long as as many people come as possible!

Will this work?

Wahoo, I'd love to meet up too! I hope we're there by the 19th. That is our goal. We still have about 2,500 miles to drive but since Thursday we have covered 1,800! We are in Prince George, BC. Things are going well.

I can't believe school is starting so soon - right now I'm so focused on just moving. I'm hoping my sister will donate her cast-off equipment to me, although my dad offered to give me his, which is just about 50 years old! It's collecting dust in his sock drawer...

Good luck with the moves, everyone!

Keep the email addresses comin'!!! So far, I only have three, which is hardly enough people to make a human pyramid. :)

Sarikate, your drive sounds beautiful (and long). I hope you're having a blast and can't wait to meet you in AZ!

Its a beautiful day here in Arizona! Slight overcast, small breeze and 99 degrees!

Sarikate, hope everything is going well with the drive as you get to see all the Pacific coast has to offer!

Incase anyone is looking at buying equipment, there are some great deals on ebay right now. I bought a Welch Allyn Pocket Jr. Otoscope and Ophthalmoscope for ~ 60$ each.

Can't wait to meet everyone!

Hi Everyone...it's your annoying cruise director. :)

I've created the evite and am still waiting on some email addresses. Please let me know if there are other ways for me to request them. I've put a message on Facebook and on this site but thought you all might know a more efficient way of reaching more people in our class. Thanks to all of you for your email addresses and help! God knows, I need it. :)

Has everyone/anyone received an email from their MWU big brother/sister?

No, nothing yet for me. :cry:

I'm just going to have all the second-years stand in a line and do eeny-meeny-miney-moe. HA!

Has everyone/anyone received an email from their MWU big brother/sister?

I just got an e-mail from her about three days ago! Just hang in there; I'm sure you will get an email soon.

I have heard nothing. I have gotten a surprisingly small amount of emails on the school account. I would think we would be getting more information by now. has anyone gotten any new information about orientation?

hey, jus to let you know i got a letter from MWU with information about orientation on aug 22-24th. I got this letter about a week ago.

p.s. i can fax to you if u want it, jus pm me your fax number

hey, jus to let you know i got a letter from MWU with information about orientation on aug 22-24th. I got this letter about a week ago.

p.s. i can fax to you if u want it, jus pm me your fax number

That was the last thing I received as well.

I really wish they would post our block schedule for the fall!

That was the last thing I received as well.

I really wish they would post our block schedule for the fall!

Tell me about it. I'm trying to go to a conference the 3rd week of September and it'd be nice to talk to the teachers about getting out of the monday exam. As for big brothers/sisters, I have 2 siblings already but if anybody needs a word of advice, I'd be more than willing to e-mail or talk on the phone. [email protected]

As for getting together, last year I set up something for the first years to meet up and it worked well on SDN. It was right before orientation, which was nice. I'll start a list post with info. Just add your SN if you're gonna go.

Macayo's (www.macayo.com)
6012 W. Bell Rd, Glendale, AZ 85308
August, 20, 2007
7pm-whenever

Last days of freedom celebration attendees: :laugh:
siriceman64

Just quote it and add your name or an event.

Macayo's is a great place :).

Maybe some of you 2nd,3rd or 4th years can answer a question for me. On the academic calendar it shows that Nov 30, 2007 is a "White Coat Ceremony" day. Now who is this for and will we have class that day? The reason I ask is that morning a snowboarding event starts in Colorado and I had planned to participate.

Macayo's is a great place :).

Maybe some of you 2nd,3rd or 4th years can answer a question for me. On the academic calendar it shows that Nov 30, 2007 is a "White Coat Ceremony" day. Now who is this for and will we have class that day? The reason I ask is that morning a snowboarding event starts in Colorado and I had planned to participate.

There is class that day. There is class actually up until an hour of the ceremony. (If I remember correctly) It's just about as much 100% required as it gets short of your life depending on it. It's a ceremony of honor that most medical schools (except ours) has almost on the first day or week of school. One of the main reasons to wait is so they can have it outside and it's not too hot. Lots of people bring their families and make a huge deal of it. But in its essence it's basically just a few mini speeches and somewhat like a graduation ceremony with everybody in the entire group of 1st year programs getting their white coats.

So sadly, I wouldn't plan too hard on participating in that snowboarding event...

I have heard nothing.

me neither. i guess there's a handful of us who haven't heard from our vacationing siblings yet... though i can't blame the second years for not wanting to be in school mode yet :eek:

Macayo's (www.macayo.com)
6012 W. Bell Rd, Glendale, AZ 85308
August, 20, 2007
7pm-whenever

Last days of freedom celebration attendees: :laugh:
siriceman64

Just quote it and add your name or an event.

Someone else already started planning an event at Old Chicago on the same day at the same time. If you look back ssunshine4 is planning it so maybe you guys should try and coordinate so that everyone can meet.

Someone else already started planning an event at Old Chicago on the same day at the same time. If you look back ssunshine4 is planning it so maybe you guys should try and coordinate so that everyone can meet.

Hi all!

So far we have nearly 20 people coming to our little pre-orientation shindig! It should be a great time. I just wanted to remind those of you who haven't sent me your email addresses to do so. I am going to try to call Old Chicago and see if we can get any specials for our group, which I think they are more likely to do if we have more people! Look forward to seeing you all soon!

Hi all!

So far we have nearly 20 people coming to our little pre-orientation shindig! It should be a great time. I just wanted to remind those of you who haven't sent me your email addresses to do so. I am going to try to call Old Chicago and see if we can get any specials for our group, which I think they are more likely to do if we have more people! Look forward to seeing you all soon!

What are we thinking about bringing spouses/bf's/gf's? If I can bring my wife I am much more likely to go.

Sorry, I didn't realize that something was already going on that day. Old Chicago is great.

What are we thinking about bringing spouses/bf's/gf's? If I can bring my wife I am much more likely to go.

A few people have +1 on the invite page. I was planning on bringing my boyfriend so I don't think it's a problem.

Is there some other website that's tracking this event?

I just talked to sunshine about getting it posted on SDN and possibly the evite link. Send her your e-mail and you'll get a link to the evite.

Hey y'all! My fiance and I are almost there. We're actually coming in TWO whole days earlier than expected (if San Lagos lets us in early, that is, I suppose). Our car is steadily breaking down mile by mile. In order to get it started after it's been running a while, we have to pour cool water over the engine and tap the starter with a wrench. It is very bad. We are in Sacramento now. Palm Springs tomorrow, then Glendale on Wednesday!

Oh my goodness, we're HEEEERE!

It is so hot, my face is melting off!

Anyone else here?

Oh my goodness, we're HEEEERE!

It is so hot, my face is melting off!

Anyone else here?

Yay! I was starting to worry about you. You'll need to put a block of dry ice in your motor. And keep drinking water! Dehydration sneaks up on you in that climate.

I think I've drank about a gallon of water in the 2.5 hours I've been here. We just walked across the street to get a Subway sandwich and I look like I've just run a marathon.

The car - what a sad state of affairs. It might kick the bucket, I'm afraid.

If anyone wants to meet up when you get here, let me know!

I think I've drank about a gallon of water in the 2.5 hours I've been here. We just walked across the street to get a Subway sandwich and I look like I've just run a marathon.

The car - what a sad state of affairs. It might kick the bucket, I'm afraid.

If anyone wants to meet up when you get here, let me know!

I've been here for a few weeks already but I'd love to meet up. Just PM me with a time that's good for you. I saw your here with your fiance, my boyfriend moved out here with me too so if you want to all go out for a drink or something.