***AZCOM Class of 2011***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all...hopefully this works! Feel free to go to the evite and add yourself and/or friends! Also, it looks like a lot of people are bringing someone so the more the merrier!

http://www.evite.com/pages/invite/viewInvite.jsp?inviteId=ERUYBQWODUEOWWPRPOJG

Hi again all! If you use the above link, make sure to add yourself to the evite instead of posting your reply to the screen that pops up. You can add yourself to the evite by clicking on the link that says "Invite more people" on the left side of the screen and then entering your own email address. Thanks!

Sarah

Members don't see this ad.

Hi again all! If you use the above link, make sure to add yourself to the evite instead of posting your reply to the screen that pops up. You can add yourself to the evite by clicking on the link that says "Invite more people" on the left side of the screen and then entering your own email address. Thanks!

Sarah

Hey I tried to do what you said, but it says that "I have not yet replied." Sadly, I think I'm the most computer illiterate person I know :(

I think I've drank about a gallon of water in the 2.5 hours I've been here. We just walked across the street to get a Subway sandwich and I look like I've just run a marathon.

The car - what a sad state of affairs. It might kick the bucket, I'm afraid.

If anyone wants to meet up when you get here, let me know!

I will be there this Saturday if you guys want to get together. I am single, so I don't know if it matters but I can have fun with anyone but I will let you know more on Sat.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be there this Saturday if you guys want to get together. I am single, so I don't know if it matters but I can have fun with anyone but I will let you know more on Sat.

LOL, we have a great time with our single friends, so definitely don't worry about that! Where are you living again?

P.S. There was some MAJOR wind tonight - one gust knocked a tree over by our car. Something about desert thunderstorms gets me giddy. Oh, and it was 122 degrees today while we moved our stuff in. Lovely!

P.P.S. There are some precious ducklings at San Lagos that hang out by the tree in front of our apartment. They are awesome!

Definitely let us know when you get here if you want to hang out. I find the single comment funny because I feel the same way about bringing my boyfriend. I want to be sure people don't mind if I bring him. He moved out here for me and we don't really know that many people yet so I want him to have a chance to meet people too. Sorry if it came across as only wanting to meet couples cause that's not it at all.

hey there sari, im glad to hear that you arrived safely. Ill be living in san lagos also, how are the apartments??? Ill be living in the 2 bedroom format.

Has everyone/anyone received an email from their MWU big brother/sister?

1st of all, please excuse the screen name. I am no longer in my mid 30's :(, and no longer a premed :).

Speaking of the big brother / big sister program here at AZCOM...I sent an email to my little sis back in May and have not heard from her, so if anyone needs a foster big brother until they hear from their own, I would be happy to help (especially for those of you who are non-traditional returning students, maybe with a spouse and kids).

I may have met many of you. I did a number of the tours on interview days.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Hi everyone, I have been following this thread for a while now but have only now joined the SDN. Looking forward to meeting everyone, and I am down for doing something this weekend.

DOMb, there are two 2-bedroom layouts here...we were going to get the smaller one (A2) but they didn't have any available at the time, so we got the larger (B2), which is ridiculously huge - 1100 square feet or something. Tall ceilings, massive windows, so much storage space we don't know what to do with all of it (two walk-in closets, pantries in the kitchen, cabinets in the hallway, master bedroom, and kitchen), three ceilings fans. Our place is on the first floor and looks out onto the "lake" and fountain. It's even shady.

There are grocery stores and gas stations about two blocks away, Home Depot and Petco across the street...pretty much anything you need house-wise is within a 2-mile radius.

School is about a five-minute walk across the street and there are jackrabbits ALL over the place at dusk. Cicadas, other random large insects (yeah, we've seen a couple roaches...not in the apartment complex, though), large families of ducks and geese, hummingbirds...more wildlife than we imagined. It makes the transition a little easier for us (although nothing can replace our parking-lot moose, ha).

1st of all, please excuse the screen name. I am no longer in my mid 30's :(, and no longer a premed :).

Speaking of the big brother / big sister program here at AZCOM...I sent an email to my little sis back in May and have not heard from her, so if anyone needs a foster big brother until they hear from their own, I would be happy to help (especially for those of you who are non-traditional returning students, maybe with a spouse and kids).

I may have met many of you. I did a number of the tours on interview days.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Thanks mid30!

Definitely let us know when you get here if you want to hang out. I find the single comment funny because I feel the same way about bringing my boyfriend. I want to be sure people don't mind if I bring him. He moved out here for me and we don't really know that many people yet so I want him to have a chance to meet people too. Sorry if it came across as only wanting to meet couples cause that's not it at all.

It's nice and cool here, perfect for moving in :rolleyes:. My buddy and I were thinking about going tubing on the Salt River one day this week if anybody would like to join. We are already bored so if anybody has any ideas, let me know. The Isle at Arrowhead isn't bad and Sarikate, we have 5 ducks that hang out by our patio and quack at us constantly, so beat that!

Reece,
We are in 1161 in Bldg 8 and i will pm you my phone #...so let me know if you two want to get together.

Reminder....if you haven't added yourself to the pre-orientation get-together evite, follow the link below and then click on the "Invite more people" button (left side of the screen). Just add your email address and send! See you all soon!

Sarah

For those who are out here already I was wondering if your interested in doing a hapy hour on Thursday. I'm not sure if people are working or anything so if that doesn't work then saturday night. If your interested let me know and I'll find a place depending on which day it is. I don't know that many places out here so if you know somewhere you'd want to go let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted back in April, but I havent really used SDN...so its nice to meet some fellow AZCOMers. I will be moved into my apartment around the 14th or 15th of next month. Anyone living in the Eaglecrest apartments...they are only a mile or so from campus, so they seemed conveniant and relatively cheap.

I am up for a happy hour, I have just been sitting around mostly. Any golfers our there???

I'm actually headed out to Philly on Thursday morning to visit my family. If anyone wants to hang out before then, I'm up for that; otherwise I'll meet up with y'all when I get back (after we do a "fly-by" in Alaska to pick up our two kitties) on August 6.

P.S. These thunderstorms are awesome...the rain feels good!

We could switch to wednesday if your not going to be too busy packing and stuff.

aren't the monsoons great! :biglove: love it.

i don't golf but i've heard some of the resort courses have ridiculously cheap rates right now. i wish i could join y'all for happy hour but i'm literally working my bum off in the er EVERY night/early morning this week to pay for a laptop (it's my last week of work!!! woo hoo!:clap::bow:) and then i'm off for a little hoorah in chicago. back on the 10th though so keep the happy hours happy until then for me :hardy:

Wednesday sounds good. Now we just have to figure out where to go :)

Wednesday sounds good. Now we just have to figure out where to go :)

Depending on how many people want to go. There is this place I've been wanting to try. If you have more than 5 people and make a reservation during happy hour you get discounts on food. It didn't show the exact happy hour prices for drinks though. Here's the website if you wanna look at it: http://www.coconos.com/ Let me know what you think.

Depending on how many people want to go. There is this place I've been wanting to try. If you have more than 5 people and make a reservation during happy hour you get discounts on food. It didn't show the exact happy hour prices for drinks though. Here's the website if you wanna look at it: http://www.coconos.com/ Let me know what you think.

Coconos has great Mexican food with a nice ambiance...it is not cheap, but well worth it :thumbup:

Coconos has great Mexican food with a nice ambiance...it is not cheap, but well worth it :thumbup:

In that case why don't we make it Macayo's which was mentioned earlier by someone else. So anyone who wants to come tomorrow here's where we'll be:

Macayo's (6012 W. Bell Rd, Glendale, AZ 85308)
Wednesday July 25
6:00 pm

If you know you can make it let me know or feel free to just show up.

Hey all. I just arrived in Glendale and am really excited to meet everyone, but I won't be able to make it to Macayo's tomorrow.

I will be working everyday through August 1st, but then I am free and clear until school starts! If anyone is up for a beer/coffee/dinner, I get home from work around 7pm. If there are any other couples out there, my fiancé would love to meet some new people as well.

I am up for a happy hour, I have just been sitting around mostly. Any golfers our there???

Yeah my buddy and I have been playing a lot. We play at Legend and Arrowhead for $20 on Tues and Thurs between 9am and 1pm, and that includes food and a drink. We also want to play TPC Scottsdale. After 10am it's $50 which is awesome for that course. Just let us know if you want to play, but note that we suck and are there for the beer and good times.

I am horrible as well. I mainly just go out there and try to keep the ball in play and drink my beer before it gets too hot.

I can't believe that they're making us wear a shirt and tie to med school now! (professional dress for the ladies)! What a rip! It's too hot around here to have a collared, button-up shirt geek suit.

But if you dress the part of a professional doc, you're going to act the part, and become the part. So it's in our best interest I guess.

I can't believe that they're making us wear a shirt and tie to med school now! (professional dress for the ladies)! What a rip! It's too hot around here to have a collared, button-up shirt geek suit.

But if you dress the part of a professional doc, you're going to act the part, and become the part. So it's in our best interest I guess.

What?? When did they make that change?

I haven't heard a word of it and I'm a second year. Nobody was even talking about it in the fall. I can't imagine that being the case. Especially in Arizona. Even the professors dress in polos and khakis or light clothes. It's too hot. That's why the white coat ceremony is so late too.

Medcraziness where did you find this source or is this just a random post?

maybe the poster has us mistaken for one of the florida schools or something?

Hi all! Sorry to be such a pain in the yahoo but I just wanted to send out another reminder to RSVP to the evite link below. I made reservations at Old Chicago in a separate room but it only fits 30 and we are getting really close to that number. If we have more coming, they said they could accomodate us elsewhere. Thanks!

Hey all...hopefully this works! Feel free to go to the evite and add yourself and/or friends! Also, it looks like a lot of people are bringing someone so the more the merrier!

Yeah my buddy and I have been playing a lot. We play at Legend and Arrowhead for $20 on Tues and Thurs between 9am and 1pm, and that includes food and a drink. We also want to play TPC Scottsdale. After 10am it's $50 which is awesome for that course. Just let us know if you want to play, but note that we suck and are there for the beer and good times.

Golfer wannabe here, count me in! I can't imagine playing under the heat though, how do you guys usually cope w/ it? I'd imagine drinking beer under that sun will probably get you pretty messed up :laugh:

PS. Does anyone know a good place around campus to buy bed/mattress/desks other than IKEA? (reasonably priced as well) Thanks in advance!

-Alan

Alan,

If you're really talking "cheap", go to craigslist.com and you can find that stuff! On Bell Rd. and just west of 67th Ave. you'll find Ashley Furniture. They have a lot of great stuff at low prices because they make their own stuff. There's also a bunch of furniture stores at the corner of Bell and 59th Ave.

Golfer wannabe here, count me in! I can't imagine playing under the heat though, how do you guys usually cope w/ it? I'd imagine drinking beer under that sun will probably get you pretty messed up :laugh:

PS. Does anyone know a good place around campus to buy bed/mattress/desks other than IKEA? (reasonably priced as well) Thanks in advance!

-Alan

Well I've been here a week and it has rained everyday. What's great about it is that it only rains for about an hour (if that) and then it stays around 90 most of the day. So everyday we've played has been awesome. Last Thursday we played and it was a cloudy 88, perfect for golf. I'm sure once the monsoons stop it will be unbearable again, but until then...I'm playing as much as possible.

Just let me know when you get here and we can get together and play.

-Alan

Try the JCPenney Furniture Outlet. Go to jcpenney.com and search for locations near Glendale. Also, try Mattress Firm (I think it's Firm, if not it's Giant), they'll have cheap mattresses if you don't mixing and matching the mattress and box springs. I haven't found a clearance center in the Phoenix area for Mattress Firm online, but there's one by my house in Dallas...so it might be worth asking about that. And finally, keep an eye on Ashely furniture for sales. When they have sales, it's normally really good and they guarantee their furniture for life (so much better quality than IKEA). Problem with Ashley is it will take awhile to deliver because they make it when ordered.

-Alan

Hey Alan! My big sis told me there is a $99 furniture store right across from campus. I looked at the website and it said everything is $99 or less; kinda like a 99 cent store for furniture ;). I'm sure the quality is not the greatest, but probably comparable to IKEA's.

Hey Alan! My big sis told me there is a $99 furniture store right across from campus. I looked at the website and it said everything is $99 or less; kinda like a 99 cent store for furniture ;). I'm sure the quality is not the greatest, but probably comparable to IKEA's.

I went to that 99$ furniture store and bought an entertainment unit there for about $300 (3 peices, each $99). It is not the greatest quality, but some of the stuff is pretty nice. Definitly worth checking out. It is at 59th and Bell Rd.

ok be truthful.....hows the heat over there =P cant wait to see all of yall.

ok be truthful.....hows the heat over there =P cant wait to see all of yall.

It's not bad at all. It's rained almost everyday and it keeps it no >98, and it stays around 85-90 at night. Just about perfect if you ask me. The monsoons will be gone soon and it will probably be really hot again. :thumbdown:

Wow thanks for all the furniture/mattress store recommendations :thumbup: I really appreciate everyone's guidance since I won't be moving into the dorm until the 19th (the first day for dorm move-ins is on Aug 18th, sux) and I'd have to get a bed the same day I get there. :cool:

Can't wait to meet all of you, too bad when I see you all, I still wouldn't recognize you anyways. maybe we should post pix of ourselves.. so that I wouldnt have to go through the whole orientation all by myself :(

Wow thanks for all the furniture/mattress store recommendations :thumbup: I really appreciate everyone's guidance since I won't be moving into the dorm until the 19th (the first day for dorm move-ins is on Aug 18th, sux) and I'd have to get a bed the same day I get there. :cool:

Can't wait to meet all of you, too bad when I see you all, I still wouldn't recognize you anyways. maybe we should post pix of ourselves.. so that I wouldnt have to go through the whole orientation all by myself :(

Well you won't have to go through it all by yourself if you go to the happy hour on the 20th at Old Chicago! The organizer has been posting the link on here for the evite, just scroll up and check it out!

I do have a question though, what company is everyone using for their cable and internet? I only see Qwest and DirecTV in the Glendale area. Am I missing other companies? Otherwise that's a great little monopoly!

Well you won't have to go through it all by yourself if you go to the happy hour on the 20th at Old Chicago! The organizer has been posting the link on here for the evite, just scroll up and check it out!

I do have a question though, what company is everyone using for their cable and internet? I only see Qwest and DirecTV in the Glendale area. Am I missing other companies? Otherwise that's a great little monopoly!

Cox Communications is the cable provider for the area (Qwest and DirecTV are satellite/DSL providers).

www.cox.com

Internet is around $45 a month, cable TV is $18-$80 a month depending on service (basic vs expanded, analog vs digital, w/ or w/o DVR, HBO vs no HBO, etc)

There are discounts for combined services too I think.

Cox Communications is the cable provider for the area (Qwest and DirecTV are satellite/DSL providers).

www.cox.com

Internet is around $45 a month, cable TV is $18-$80 a month depending on service (basic vs expanded, analog vs digital, w/ or w/o DVR, HBO vs no HBO, etc)

There are discounts for combined services too I think.

Thanks so much! Figures, I actually asked the apartment complex about Cox and they said Cox isn't in Glendale.

if you're in an apartment you might check with them to see if they have any special deals with cox or quest. my apartment complex had a good bundled internet/cable offer with quest. all hundred some cable stations and high speed internet for sixty some all basic equipment included

I just signed up with Cox for cable broadband $15/month ($10 for the first 3 months). This is the cheapest deal I could find. Of course, we're not big TV watchers so didn't go for their cable package which would greatly jack up the price. It's only 512 kbps but I figure I'll have plenty fast access on campus....

I just signed up with Cox for cable broadband $15/month ($10 for the first 3 months). This is the cheapest deal I could find. Of course, we're not big TV watchers so didn't go for their cable package which would greatly jack up the price. It's only 512 kbps but I figure I'll have plenty fast access on campus....

If you order Cox, call Brent Griggs (602.694.1543) and tell him that Jon Willms recommended him. He's a great cable guy and will have your cable ready to go within a day or two. Just call him and give him a few days notice of when you want it turned on. It generally takes much longer if you just order cable through Cox's website or by calling their 1800 number.

He set up my cable last year and was great to work with when we decided to change cable plans.

Since our block schedule is out, does anyone know what textbooks to get? I'd rather get them on amazon than at campus bookstores, which usually sell books at a higher price. Any info is appreciated~ :thumbup:

Since our block schedule is out, does anyone know what textbooks to get? I'd rather get them on amazon than at campus bookstores, which usually sell books at a higher price. Any info is appreciated~ :thumbup:

The bookstore matches amazon prices if you bring them a printout from amazon stating their current price and that the book is in stock. I would wait to get books until orientation when the course directors will tell you which book(s) they are using. Last year, the MSII's told us which books to get and it turned out that the required books changed for some of the classes from thier first year to ours. That's just my two cents.