Australian Medical School 2022 Entry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey friend sorry just saw this. I already had my Flinders interview and I received my acceptance about a week after I interviewed. Best of luck with your interview!
Congratulations!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, everyone, does anyone have insight into Deakin? I just received an acceptance there.

Hey, everyone, does anyone have insight into Deakin? I just received an acceptance there.
Deakin was one of my favorites of the Australian schools I interviewed at. I was seriously considering going there, but there's no support for US loans at all, both governmental and private, so basically wouldn't have been able to make it work financially. Obviously I didn't go there so can't share my personal experience, this is just my impression.

Geelong is a small city and the campus is on the outskirts IIRC so you'd need to like that environment. Melbourne is accessible by train but it's like an hour and a half from Geelong center.

They have very small well-vetted international cohorts and they'll take care of you. If you want to stay in Australia, being in Victoria and having such a small class means you'll be well positioned. Deakin is a really massive university despite the small medical class size, so if you want to do research you won't have a ton of competition. Support for Step exams or MCCEE along with the matching process in either the US or Canada will be very limited, and you will have to do lots of the legwork yourself as from what I remember the vast majority of their international cohort remains in Australia (or at least very few come back to North America).

Overall, I had a very positive impression. I really liked it, but the finances + the fact that matching to the US would be relatively more difficult ultimately meant I decided to turn down their offer.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend going to the school (which you have an acceptance at) that has the largest international cohort. It means there were plenty of international voices in previous classes as well - more lobbying efforts for needs of international students -> more support overall, including arranging elective clinical rotations abroad.

That said, if finances matter, you may have to pick the one most affordable to you.

Deakin was one of my favorites of the Australian schools I interviewed at. I was seriously considering going there, but there's no support for US loans at all, both governmental and private, so basically wouldn't have been able to make it work financially. Obviously I didn't go there so can't share my personal experience, this is just my impression.

Geelong is a small city and the campus is on the outskirts IIRC so you'd need to like that environment. Melbourne is accessible by train but it's like an hour and a half from Geelong center.

They have very small well-vetted international cohorts and they'll take care of you. If you want to stay in Australia, being in Victoria and having such a small class means you'll be well positioned. Deakin is a really massive university despite the small medical class size, so if you want to do research you won't have a ton of competition. Support for Step exams or MCCEE along with the matching process in either the US or Canada will be very limited, and you will have to do lots of the legwork yourself as from what I remember the vast majority of their international cohort remains in Australia (or at least very few come back to North America).

Overall, I had a very positive impression. I really liked it, but the finances + the fact that matching to the US would be relatively more difficult ultimately meant I decided to turn down their offer.
Thank you so much for this detailed insight. I did really enjoy speaking with the people who interviewed me. I feel honoured to receive an acceptance however I do want to try to get back to NA so it may not be the right choice for me.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know what the University of Wollongong interview are like? Also are the verifiers for the portfolio contacted before or after the interview?

hey guys, does anyone have insight to the flinders program and reputation? Or any previous/current students out here that I can connect with? I just saw some different opinions on other forums and a lot of it was negative so idk what to do with my acceptance

hey guys, does anyone have insight to the flinders program and reputation? Or any previous/current students out here that I can connect with? I just saw some different opinions on other forums and a lot of it was negative so idk what to do with my acceptance
N=1 but of the one Flinders grad I know, he didn't recommend the med school. If you have choices - I've heard pretty good things about Griffith, Bond, JCU, U of Adelaide from their grads. Factor in location too. Reputation means nothing.

N=1 but of the one Flinders grad I know, he didn't recommend the med school. If you have choices - I've heard pretty good things about Griffith, Bond, JCU, U of Adelaide from their grads. Factor in location too. Reputation means nothing.
any particular reasons why? was it the teaching or difficulty in getting rotations...etc. just wondering because of the mixed reviews

any particular reasons why? was it the teaching or difficulty in getting rotations...etc. just wondering because of the mixed reviews
it's hard for us to speak to schools specifically - can you show examples of those mixed reviews? perhaps we can comment on those

I can't remember why. Most people in Australia just see med school as a means to an end. I didn't talk to him extensively on why he disliked it specifically.

This is all anecdotal. Just like docs I've talked to have generally liked the JCU, Griffith, Bond grads from a knowledge standpoint.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone I just saw this new article ACCC gives green light to NSW student plan (yahoo.com) anyone else have any insights into international students returning to Australia this year?
Very cool. It sounds like progress is being made. That article basically says the schools are approved to collaborate on arranging transportation, but the plan to bring international students back is still pending with the federal government. I think it will probably be approved, and once it is, health sciences students are at the top of the list, so great news for anyone going to a school in NSW or SA. I'm still waiting to hear about Queensland.

Very cool. It sounds like progress is being made. That article basically says the schools are approved to collaborate on arranging transportation, but the plan to bring international students back is still pending with the federal government. I think it will probably be approved, and once it is, health sciences students are at the top of the list, so great news for anyone going to a school in NSW or SA. I'm still waiting to hear about Queensland.
FYI, everyone, the SA plan was approved by the federal government: International students arrival plan approved by the Commonwealth

I think it's 160 students per 2 weeks. There's no start date yet, but obviously great news for anyone at Flinders!

Is anyone familiar with the visa assessment and whatnot after accepting an offer? I've accepted an offer and paid the deposit as of nearly 4 weeks ago and all I've got is radio silence. Technically the course could still fill up as it's first come first served with offers. Is 4 weeks without any update normal? I thought getting an offer was the end of the waiting game lol

Is anyone familiar with the visa assessment and whatnot after accepting an offer? I've accepted an offer and paid the deposit as of nearly 4 weeks ago and all I've got is radio silence. Technically the course could still fill up as it's first come first served with offers. Is 4 weeks without any update normal? I thought getting an offer was the end of the waiting game lol
Are you asking about applying for an Australian visa? Did you get the CoE from your school yet? If you've accepted an offer but haven't received a CoE then you should be following up to make sure they know you accepted.

Are you asking about applying for an Australian visa? Did you get the CoE from your school yet? If you've accepted an offer but haven't received a CoE then you should be following up to make sure they know you accepted.
I haven't gotten the COE yet, but I paid my deposit and submitted the visa application and forms confirming I'm accepting the offer. I'm applying through OzTREKK, a Canadian agency for Australian university applications. They told me today they will reach out to the school on my behalf but have said not to worry...so idk.

Okay yeah Oztrekk is awesome, I'd just let them deal with it. Nearly every Canadian applicant goes through them so they've got the means to sort things out. To my knowledge you can't apply for a student visa without a CoE, and some schools are faster than others about getting them out, but there's still plenty of time to get the visa settled (probably want to get things moving by November at the latest).

Okay yeah Oztrekk is awesome, I'd just let them deal with it. Nearly every Canadian applicant goes through them so they've got the means to sort things out. To my knowledge you can't apply for a student visa without a CoE, and some schools are faster than others about getting them out, but there's still plenty of time to get the visa settled (probably want to get things moving by November at the latest).
Okay thanks for the responses. Maybe I'm a bit confused about the visa thing then. My forms just included my passport number and I had to check some boxes indicating I need a visa and a COE. I will leave it to OzTREKK then.

Okay thanks for the responses. Maybe I'm a bit confused about the visa thing then. My forms just included my passport number and I had to check some boxes indicating I need a visa and a COE. I will leave it to OzTREKK then.
The visa application process is done by you, not OzTREKK, just so you know

OzTREKK can help with correspondence and obtaining/verifying documents between them and your school, but cannot help with government-related items like visas. What they can do is provide advice on visas.

Reactions: 1 users
Please help....I was accepted at Macquarie and I believe this school is right for me. However they will not let you begin your degree unless you're in Australia. Should I accept another offer that allows me to start online or should I stick with Macquarie because the Australian government will open up by Feb 2022 . Btw I have other offers but they will expire in July

Please help....I was accepted at Macquarie and I believe this school is right for me. However they will not let you begin your degree unless you're in Australia. Should I accept another offer that allows me to start online or should I stick with Macquarie because the Australian government will open up by Feb 2022 . Btw I have other offers but they will expire in July
That's a tough spot to be in. The border should be open by then but I would be a nervous wreck waiting for that. If I were you, and if this is possible, I'd pay the deposit at another school as well and save it as a backup should the border situation not be clearer in say September, October of this year.

That's a tough spot to be in. The border should be open by then but I would be a nervous wreck waiting for that. If I were you, and if this is possible, I'd pay the deposit at another school as well and save it as a backup should the border situation not be clearer in say September, October of this year.
OR, the other option is ask for a deferral for a year. Not ideal but one year isn't huge in the grand scheme

Hey, do you know if you are allowed to hold more than one spot at the same time? It thought I could only hold one spot at a time

Hey, do you know if you are allowed to hold more than one spot at the same time? It thought I could only hold one spot at a time
I am not 100% but, I believe you can, what you cannot do is apply for the visa with one school then bail out on the school for another, your visa will be cancelled. So you would also have to delay your visa application until as late as possible

I also believe you can hold more than one spot with your deposit. However I would ask all schools you have an acceptance at if this is ok. And, also ask if the deposit "Reserves a spot for you in the course".

Hey just got an interview for UQ (non-oschner) any advice?

What are your other offers?

I doubt borders will be open by feb 2022. Almost half of Australia is locked down right now with 5 percent of the population vaccinated. I would go with the program that guarantees you the ability to start regardless of where you are.

What are your other offers?

I doubt borders will be open by feb 2022. Almost half of Australia is locked down right now with 5 percent of the population vaccinated. I would go with the program that guarantees you the ability to start regardless of where you are.
So far Macquarie, Deakin, Flinders

Hey friends anyone know how many electives you are allowed to take internationally at Deakin

Hey friends anyone know how many electives you are allowed to take internationally at Deakin
I can't answer your question but I'm sure one of your interviewers would be able to pretty quickly! I don't know if you're from the US or Canada/where exactly you're trying to match, but for matching to the US, if you're interested in matching to New York which is the most IMG friendly state, you should do no more than 12 weeks of rotations in a country other than your school's country. So for example if you went to Deakin but spent 16 weeks doing rotations outside of Australia, you would not be eligible to match in NY, which takes a bunch of the most IMG-friendly US residencies off the table.

This probably isn't the most immediately relevant thing to you right now but it is important to keep it in mind as Australian schools may not be aware of these sorts of rules and may allow you to rotate internationally more than you should if you want the best chances of matching to the US.

I don’t know how many you’re allowed to, but I know one is guaranteed in fourth year

I can't answer your question but I'm sure one of your interviewers would be able to pretty quickly! I don't know if you're from the US or Canada/where exactly you're trying to match, but for matching to the US, if you're interested in matching to New York which is the most IMG friendly state, you should do no more than 12 weeks of rotations in a country other than your school's country. So for example if you went to Deakin but spent 16 weeks doing rotations outside of Australia, you would not be eligible to match in NY, which takes a bunch of the most IMG-friendly US residencies off the table.

This probably isn't the most immediately relevant thing to you right now but it is important to keep it in mind as Australian schools may not be aware of these sorts of rules and may allow you to rotate internationally more than you should if you want the best chances of matching to the US.
Hey thanks for this advice I really appreciate the insight

Hey thanks do you mind clarifying what you mean by guaranteed?
“Throughout year 4, students undertake five rotations at hospitals and other sites attached to the clinical schools: Emergency Medicine, Aged Care/ Palliative Care/ Rehabilitation, Intensive Care/ Anaesthetics, Mental Health and General Practice, as well as an Extended Studies Program, an Elective and the Pre-Internship. Students are also required to complete a period of placement at a rural site” (Deakin Website). That elective period is 6 weeks I believe, and can be spent in either Australia or internationally.

• Love

Hey just curious since UQ Oscher you will be rotating in the states for years 3 and 4 how does this affect you?

Hi guys! I’m a canadian BSc graduate. I’ve applied to Griffith, Macquarie, and deakin! My cgpa is a 3.25 and my last three years for the schools that consider wgpa is a 3.65! I’m about to write my MCAT in a couple days and I was just wondering with my credentials, what MCAT would be good? I know it’s always better to aim for the highest score possible but I would just like some insight for anyone who have received acceptances/interviews! I was also wondering if I will have a shot at the schools that don’t have a wgpa because my cgpa isn’t the best. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Hi guys! I’m a canadian BSc graduate. I’ve applied to Griffith, Macquarie, and deakin! My cgpa is a 3.25 and my last three years for the schools that consider wgpa is a 3.65! I’m about to write my MCAT in a couple days and I was just wondering with my credentials, what MCAT would be good? I know it’s always better to aim for the highest score possible but I would just like some insight for anyone who have received acceptances/interviews! I was also wondering if I will have a shot at the schools that don’t have a wgpa because my cgpa isn’t the best. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
what's wGPA? weighted?

I think you will be safe with 500 MCAT or above for those schools

what's wGPA? weighted?

I think you will be safe with 500 MCAT or above for those schools
Yes, weighted. How long does it usually take to hear back from them once the application has been submitted?

Yes, weighted. How long does it usually take to hear back from them once the application has been submitted?
not quite sure how aussie schools look at weighted/unweighted GPAs in undergrad because it usually isn't a thing. so i'd check with the schools

not long

not quite sure how aussie schools look at weighted/unweighted GPAs in undergrad because it usually isn't a thing. so i'd check with the schools

not long
Oh really? I thought some schools looked at the last three years only. From what I see on Oztrekk, Macquarie looks at last 3, Flinders has this wgpa system where the final year is x3, junior year is x2 and second year x1. Did they change the policy?

Oh really? I thought some schools looked at the last three years only. From what I see on Oztrekk, Macquarie looks at last 3, Flinders has this wgpa system where the final year is x3, junior year is x2 and second year x1. Did they change the policy?
nono that sounds about right! some schools do that. be sure to double check it though, on their website or by phone.

Hey Friend! I also applied to all those schools and have been accepted to Macquarie and Deakin so far. I would be quite excited for you to also be a part of the 2022 class, so I wish you the best of luck. If I were you I would try to aim for at least a 500. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you for all the informative responses! I hope I'll be able to gain admission to meet all of you beautiful souls! One last question, how are the interviews like? What kind of questions do they ask? How can one prepare for these types of interviews?

Screen Shot 2021-07-06 at 11.00.08 AM.png

Hi guys! So i think Sydney U might do something similar as it did last year (asking students if they are on or off-shore )?... Does anyone know though if there have been any positive updates on international borders opening before School commences for 2022?

I have to say I am quite intimidated by all the high GPAs here. I went to undergraduate and graduate institutions in a country that loves to deflate grades (the Netherlands). I think I might meet the cutoff for UQ, but Flinders states that only a 5.5 or above is competitive, even though they say they don’t have a minimum. However, they do have an MCAT threshold that seems low (below 500, I think it’s a 492). I guess I’m just wondering what my chances are if I score really well on the MCAT (I’m retaking it, had a 508).

As opposed to some, going to an Australian uni is actually my first choice because of many ties to the country.
I would love some words of advice from you guys.

Flinders accepted me and my GPA was around 5.3 I guess? Idk how to convert US to australian and how they did it, but my MCAT was a 518, and the interview was really chill. I feel like your current MCAT is ok too to be honest. Oztrek did tell me very recently though that Flinders is probably full. People who put the deposit down may drop later this summer when the other schools come out, but not sure!