August 14 Step 2 CS results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monkey Jones

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to wish everyone luck that will be getting results tomorrow on Step 2 CS. I know this exam is rough with the new passing margins. Hopefully we all pass. Gather here and share your results once you get them!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
HEY! I have heard from people who took their CS in Atlanta on July 2, we ALL got an email saying the score report will be available at 11:00!!!!

Got the email at 10:45 about my scores being up at 11. On the dot, score report was there. Longest 15 minutes of my life. But I passed!! Took the exam in Chicago in the last week of the reporting period.

Weight. Off. My. Shoulders. Thought I did pretty bad but just goes to show you can pass this exam even if you feel crappy about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
PASSED! I took it in Philly, June 18th. Phew! Huge sigh of relief! I did some pretty dumb things so I was pretty much having an MI while waiting for my score.

June 25th in Houston. Got my score at 11am central time. PASSED!

Congrats passers!

Does that mean that the scores that will be released today have already been released? Or do I have to keep checking my email all day like a crackhead looking for junk?

Congrats passers!

Does that mean that the scores that will be released today have already been released? Or do I have to keep checking my email all day like a crackhead looking for junk?

Trend is that once the afternoon rolls in, score reporting is done. I was ready to give up when I didn't get scores at 9am but they came at 11. So who knows really. This reporting period has been messed up.

Just checked my report-PASSED with high performance in all three.
Glad it's over.
Received an EMail around 9 AM but didn't check till 11.15 AM.
Has to change my center at the last moment due to impending storm in Chicago on June 12th.
Didn't want to go through the same experience as CK (canceled twice) when the storm hit the center (first time) & computer glitch (second time).

Monkeyjones,

Did you pass? I hope you did....you got alot of people nervous around here with your posts about CS.......

Coxsackie, how about you? did you pass?

I am going to Chicago in 2 months .
Is this place OK for Step 2 CS in terms of SP and the rest ?
Did UW cases helped in the real exam ?
Appreciated .

I used UW cases and they didn't really help more than first aid for cs.

Now that I have my score I feel like it is very hard to fail the ICE part assuming you have are an AMG.

Now on CIS my bar was partially in the borderline column. I think this is because I didn't read the info on the usmle website/first aid book and didn't hit all the needed checkboxes. I am a very nice person in real life and never have had a patient compliant. CIS isn't about how nice you are...it is about checkboxes....nothing more imo.

If you are an AMG you should focus any studying on CIS items.

CIS isn't about how nice you are...it is about checkboxes....nothing more imo.
I disagree. I think if the SPs like you they will give you information without even asking and they may even give you the diagnosis if asked in the right way. At least that's been my experience on the test.
So, being nice goes a long way.

I disagree. I think if the SPs like you they will give you information without even asking and they may even give you the diagnosis if asked in the right way. At least that's been my experience on the test.
So, being nice goes a long way.

But pts giving you information isn't getting you points on CIS. It is getting you points on ICE.

CIS is crap that doesn't always in a real doctors office. Therefore AMGs can screw this area up imo. These patients are terrible actors. They don't act like real patients and who knows what you have to say to complete the checkboxes. Maybe being friendly is one checkbox but that alone will not get you a pass in CIS. I bet counseling is part of the CIS points....but honestly it is hard to react to fake actors the way I would to a real patient.

Why do you think it is hard to fail ICE part assuming one is an AMG? just curious your reasoning.... thnks

Mainly because this is identical to what you have done the past year. By now you know what questions to ask and when to ask them. You likely can write up a short history and physical. I felt like there were so many easy points to obtain in ICE just by doing OLDCARTS and knowing how to perform a basic focused physical. Even if you miss a lot you can still do good. I had no clue what the main diagnosis were on 2 cases and still did fine on ICE.

.............. and who knows what you have to say to complete the checkboxes. Maybe being friendly is one checkbox but that alone will not get you a pass in CIS. I bet counseling is part of the CIS points....but honestly it is hard to react to fake actors the way I would to a real patient.
You should know what is on the checkboxes. Kaplan has the whole list of things to do to get points for each component of CS. for example, CIS has a 40 point checklist.

Should I read anything into the fact that I haven't gotten a score yet? After reading some of the previous threads in regards to my testing location I am slightly unnerved. Given there will be little time to get another score in before the bulk of the interview season will be over.

God is good passed!! Stars in CSI and Spoken English ...barely passed ICE. Thank god this is over with never felt this much relief ever lol. This exam seriously is just about making NBME $$$ no other reason behind this. I know people who did so much more for physical exam and wrote great pt notes and just failed which is really f cked. I'm surprised there hasnt been no serious lawsuits against the NBME on how they run things especially when they are probably the least transparent organization out there. Got to love big business! Better profession to get into than this ****.

Should I read anything into the fact that I haven't gotten a score yet? After reading some of the previous threads in regards to my testing location I am slightly unnerved. Given there will be little time to get another score in before the bulk of the interview season will be over.
AFAIK there is nothing to worry about regarding the testing location (Philly?) or delay in score reporting. You will get your result by next Wednesday for sure.:)

For those of you who passed, did you auscultate the heart in 4 places? First aid said 2 places is enough, and that is what I did. Hope that 2 places is ok.........thnks guys....

For those of you who passed, did you auscultate the heart in 4 places? First aid said 2 places is enough, and that is what I did. Hope that 2 places is ok.........thnks guys....

On most patients I just auscultated in 2 places, and passed.

For a "cardiac" chief complaint, listen to all 4 and do as many cardiac PE maneuvers you can think of. But in everybody else 2 spots is fine. On my exam I never listened to more than 2 areas (didn't have any cases where cardiac stuff was in my DDx), and I passed.

As the poster above said, do a thorough PE for your most likely differential followed by everything else. In other words go for the jugular!;)
Unfortunately, ICE has very little room to manoeuvre as compared to CIS, so you have to be very very thorough with PE & PN. AS I mentioned somewhere earlier, sometimes you think that you have done a perfect PE but don't get any points for that. Why? because they want you to listen for heart sounds at each point for 3 seconds (and the SP is counting 1.....2.....3..mississippi's). Similarly, for chest auscultation they want you to listen at each point for full inspiration/expiration, anything less than that you get no points.
Hope this helps.

As the poster above said, do a thorough PE for your most likely differential followed by everything else. In other words go for the jugular!;)
Unfortunately, ICE has very little room to manoeuvre as compared to CIS, so you have to be very very thorough with PE & PN. AS I mentioned somewhere earlier, sometimes you think that you have done a perfect PE but don't get any points for that. Why? because they want you to listen for heart sounds at each point for 3 seconds (and the SP is counting 1.....2.....3..mississippi's). Similarly, for chest auscultation they want you to listen at each point for full inspiration/expiration, anything less than that you get no points.
Hope this helps.

While yeah, quality is important for your PE (you should never fake or breeze through the exam maneuvers you do), I feel the PN trumps the PE for the scoring in ICE. With every note I was writing, I realized 2-3 important PE maneuvers I wish I did. I'm sure a lot of people felt that way, but virtually all of my exams were scattered and incomplete; I forget to feel thyriods in fatigue cases, my neuro exams usually always missed a big chunk (like gait or coordination), my musculoskeletal exams were a mess, and my pseudo mini mental status exams didn't get past recalling 3 objects and spelling world backwards. My notes, however, were well-written with 2-3 differentials each time with decent reasoning. So I think my notes made up for poor exam skills. My ICE score was around the average-above average range (no stars but not touching the borderline).

Did you feel like most of your physical exam was pretty watered down for most patients? I spent a lot of time getting a complete HPI and history, but didn't exactly do a ton of physical exam stuff. I listened to heart and lungs on most people but never percussed lungs/fremitus/egophony/etc. I occasionally checked peripheral pulses and got an occasional abdominal exam but that's about it. I never had a patient that I felt a full neuro or msk exam was appropriate on, which makes me feel a little uneasy.

Unfortunately I won't be getting my score back until october...

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to wish everyone luck that will be getting results tomorrow on Step 2 CS. I know this exam is rough with the new passing margins. Hopefully we all pass. Gather here and share your results once you get them!
Still no word from Monkey Jones?

Hope this helps.

Whoa... can someone confirm this??? I might have failed if this is true...

Whoa... can someone confirm this??? I might have failed if this is true...

I dunno if that's true. I only listened to to
Two places on heart, two places for lungs and definitely waited about one half a second before moving to the next maneuver.