ATSU/SOMA (Arizona) Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks gildas and greenshirt! I'm definitely getting a better picture of what the SOMA experience will be like. So, years 2 and 3 are at CHCs, but what about the 4th year? I thought the last three years were spent at the CHC.

The details are still not certain, but yes theoretically year 4 will also be at your CHC. The question mark about year 4 is whether or not students will be able to do rotations outside of the CHC, including international rotations and what not for elective rotations. Im sure the intention is for us to stay at the CHCs for year 4 rotations. Im certain I will be staying in Brooklyn for year 4 rotations since there is plenty to see and learn at my CHC. But other CHCs may not provide the depth of specialties that the Brooklyn CHC offers, and so students at these CHCs may want to explore options outside of their CHC.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know about how many spots they have left? And aslo, what time does the interview conclude?

Hi! I was wondering if anyone has been accepted to SOMA?? I got in a few months ago and was assigned the CHC for Ohio!

Members don't see this ad :)
According to the Official Acceptance Thread, norcal is the only other SDNer that has been accepted to SOMA. Hopefully after I interview next month I'll be able to add my name to that list!

As far as spots left, I don't think we need to start worrying yet. From what I've heard, SOMA only just started interviewing late fall. And, if the interview and acceptance threads are any consolation, there are very few names listed under SOMA.

According to the Official Acceptance Thread, norcal is the only other SDNer that has been accepted to SOMA. Hopefully after I interview next month I'll be able to add my name to that list!

As far as spots left, I don't think we need to start worrying yet. From what I've heard, SOMA only just started interviewing late fall. And, if the interview and acceptance threads are any consolation, there are very few names listed under SOMA.

Thanks!! Good luck next month!

I have been accepted to SOMA- South Carolina CHC. I haven't posted on the acceptance thread for fear of screwing it up!

In the interview, will I be asked my reasons for ranking certain CHCs over others?! Interview is next week. Very excited to see this school and its program

In the interview, will I be asked my reasons for ranking certain CHCs over others?! Interview is next week. Very excited to see this school and its program

You don't have to give reasons for your choices, but they give you an option to write down a few lines for your strong desire to go to a specific CHC. This is especially important if the CHC is already filled. If you have an exceptional reason to be at a CHC then it could help the committee in placing you there. Good luck on your interview, we will get to see you at lunch!

Just got an interview invite here. Woot woot!

Yea! Nervous?

A little! I wasnt at first. But then... I read comments on here about how people were impressed with the school and Im now excited/nervous/eager.

How about you?

You don't have to give reasons for your choices, but they give you an option to write down a few lines for your strong desire to go to a specific CHC. This is especially important if the CHC is already filled. If you have an exceptional reason to be at a CHC then it could help the committee in placing you there. Good luck on your interview, we will get to see you at lunch!

Thanks so much. These CHCs sound really interesting! Im excited about the interview and the school!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey all,

I have my interview at atsu-soma in two weeks. I am really looking forward to it. I didn't realizes that some chc's were already filled up.. does anyone know which ones?

thanks,
oneredtree:oops:

Woah! Seriously? I didn't know that the CHCs filled up that fast! Yah, can someone please enlighten us as to which ones are filled?

Woah! Seriously? I didn't know that the CHCs filled up that fast! Yah, can someone please enlighten us as to which ones are filled?

Havent heard about any of the CHCs being filled up yet, but if last year is any reflection of how it is now, the later in the cycle you interview, the more CHCs are filled up. Last year, the CHCs that seemed fill up quicker were Seattle, Portland, Hawaii and Tucson and Flagstaff. The less popular ones seemed to be Alabama, South Carolina, Ohio and Brooklyn. IMO in the next few years Brooklyn will become the #1 most popular CHC. How can it not its New York!!!!:love:

Havent heard about any of the CHCs being filled up yet, but if last year is any reflection of how it is now, the later in the cycle you interview, the more CHCs are filled up. Last year, the CHCs that seemed fill up quicker were Seattle, Portland, Hawaii and Tucson and Flagstaff. The less popular ones seemed to be Alabama, South Carolina, Ohio and Brooklyn. IMO in the next few years Brooklyn will become the #1 most popular CHC. How can it not its New York!!!!:love:

Thanks EastWest! That's good to know! Hmmm...I wonder why Hawaii was one of the first to be filled?

Hopefully during the CHC presentation at our interview they will inform us which are already filled that way we won't waste our choices when we rank them. How did you decide on Brooklyn? I'm having a difficult time trying to rank them when I hardly know anything about them. I guess it all boils down to where I would like to live for three years.

Thanks EastWest! That's good to know! Hmmm...I wonder why Hawaii was one of the first to be filled?

Hopefully during the CHC presentation at our interview they will inform us which are already filled that way we won't waste our choices when we rank them. How did you decide on Brooklyn? I'm having a difficult time trying to rank them when I hardly know anything about them. I guess it all boils down to where I would like to live for three years.

They will let you know which Chcs are already filled in your interview. They all provide a great environment for learning. I wanted to be in New York, and all the wonderful opportunities the city has to offer.

Just got an interview for Feb 22. So far I'm very impressed with what I've read on the board.

Yo, I am a med student over at AZCOM, and I just came on here to get a feel for your program.

What, in a nutshell, is this clinical program you are talking about?

So, essentially, you are only in Mesa for your first year?​

Yo, I am a med student over at AZCOM, and I just came on here to get a feel for your program.

What, in a nutshell, is this clinical program you are talking about?

So, essentially, you are only in Mesa for your first year?​

Howdy from the East valley. It was pretty cold this morning, eh??

Yes, you AZCOM folks dont need to worry about us SOMA folks taking away rotation spots from you guys. We are already set up at a Community health center(CHC) when we get accepted. This means that come July 2008(6 months from now) we finish here in Mesa and split up between 11 CHCs throughout the country--Brooklyn, Ohio, South Carolina, Alabama, Seattle, Portland, Hawaii, Central Cali, Flagstaff, Tucson and an Indian Health services campus here in Phoenix. Year two, theoretically is 50% didactic, and 50% working/learning in the hospital/clinics we are assigned. Year 3-4, we do rotations through our assigned CHCs. A CHC is not a 'free clinic', which is what i had thought prior to visiting the Brooklyn CHC. A CHC campus incorporates out-patient clinics as well as hospitals. My assigned CHC has 11 outpatient clinics, a Trauma 1 hospital, a large rehab hospital, and lots of other things. You can get an idea of these CHCs in the links that Gildas and I put on a few posts back. So for the next three years i'll be living in NYC, with 10 other students. My other classmates will be spread out in the other CHCs. Any other questions??

There are a few missing CHC websites but this will hopefully help anyone wondering what the whole CHC years 2-4 deal is all about. Good luck to all interested in SOMA!:)

Regarding year 3 & 4, keep in mind that you might have elective rotations where you might have to go to other hospital or clinic outside of the CHC system, especially for those who might be interested in specializing.

How long do these guys usually take to get back to you?

My secondary was complete as of 12/19 and I still haven't heard back about an interview. I figured I'd hear SOMETHING by now.

:luck: Hey, I got a call, I am accepted to the Ohio CHC :~) Today I just feel great. I don't think I will truly believe it until I have the paper in my hand.

:luck: Hey, I got a call, I am accepted to the Ohio CHC :~) Today I just feel great. I don't think I will truly believe it until I have the paper in my hand.

Congrats johnson48, I can't wait to meet the next class.

What day did you interview?

To the current students, what are the best apartments for students? I've read their list of recommended apts. but there are so many! Also, do most students live alone and if not what is the best way to go about finding a roommate? Thanks!!

To the current students, what are the best apartments for students? I've read their list of recommended apts. but there are so many! Also, do most students live alone and if not what is the best way to go about finding a roommate? Thanks!!

Depends on how much you want you willing to pay for rent and how close you want to live to the campus.

Originally Posted by Johnson48

maybe this is a stupid question...but what is the OHIO Chc? is that the same thing as the CORE? i've been accepted to OU and know a little bit about students outside of OH being admitted into the CORE. just wondering...

Depends on how much you want you willing to pay for rent and how close you want to live to the campus.

I am expecting to pay 800ish unless I have a roommate? I think I would rather live close to campus unless there is something great about another place...From the list they sent out I was looking at San Montego and Stone Canyon, do you know anything about those?

I got accepted two weeks after my October interview to the Porterville CHC. Anyone else there? I was wondering if anyone has a schedule for the upcoming 2008 year? The only one I can find is last years, so I don't even know what day school starts. Can any last year students tell me when they got their tech requirements and instrument lists? I need to know when I am going to start being super poor.

So I finally got my interview invite here. I was worried because they took a LOT longer than all of the other schools I was invited to interview at even though everything was submitted at the same time.

Is anyone interviewing there the week of Feb 4-8? If so, what day? I have an interview at AZCOM on the 4th and I'd really only like to make one trip to AZ if I can manage it. The only problem is I don't even know what days they hold their interviews on.

If I knew that there was even a possibility of getting an interview that same week I'd hold off a little on scheduling and keep checking the scheduling site to see if I could nab a date that week.

I got accepted two weeks after my October interview to the Porterville CHC. Anyone else there? I was wondering if anyone has a schedule for the upcoming 2008 year? The only one I can find is last years, so I don't even know what day school starts. Can any last year students tell me when they got their tech requirements and instrument lists? I need to know when I am going to start being super poor.

I would recommend not to buy intruments before school starts. Last year, they provided intruments for every student (I think it was included in the tuition).

So I finally got my interview invite here. I was worried because they took a LOT longer than all of the other schools I was invited to interview at even though everything was submitted at the same time.

Is anyone interviewing there the week of Feb 4-8? If so, what day? I have an interview at AZCOM on the 4th and I'd really only like to make one trip to AZ if I can manage it. The only problem is I don't even know what days they hold their interviews on.

If I knew that there was even a possibility of getting an interview that same week I'd hold off a little on scheduling and keep checking the scheduling site to see if I could nab a date that week.

I think they change the interview day to friday now.

Go to the website and choose new/current students for information on the fall semester. If you look under student services you can also find information on housing and mesa.

Congratulations Johnson48. What day was your interview?

Hello,

Are there any current students who have been matched to the Hawaii CHC who are willing and interested in answering a few questions? Please PM me. Thanks.

:)YAYY! I just got the call today for Acceptance and Brooklyn CHC. This is going to be a pretty amazing experience~!! Anyone else in Brooklyn!!

:)YAYY! I just got the call today for Acceptance and Brooklyn CHC. This is going to be a pretty amazing experience~!! Anyone else in Brooklyn!!

Congratulations on the acceptance!:hardy:
Don't forget to join the facebook group for the class of 2012! ;)