ATSU/SOMA (Arizona) Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

I have seen some other misc postings concerning SOMA in the SDN forums, so I figured I try to get a running thread going for the '08 cycle on the official page. I interviewed at SOMA last year and was waitlisted on the shortlist, but never got called up from the minors. I'll be applying this year again and with increased stats, I am hoping to get admitted. It's my first choice and I really believe in the program. It'll be interesting to get the inaugural year student's insights on the program. During interviews, there was definately a utopian feel to the school's mission, but that probably what motivated so many to apply. It looks like a few people are beginning to interview (or have already interviewed for the '08 cycle), so tell us all about it.

Also, for any current SOMA students, tell us about the good and bad of the school and the new program.

If there are any currrent SOMA students out there, could you give us a heads up on how the interview process went? Also, your current opinion of the curriculum and general atmosphere? Gracias.

Members don't see this ad :)
If there are any currrent SOMA students out there, could you give us a heads up on how the interview process went? Also, your current opinion of the curriculum and general atmosphere? Gracias.

There is a fairly extensive older thread for SOMA that is titled "ATSU Mesa" that has everyone's interviews from last year. Once it was finalized that the school was going to be called "SOMA", this thread was started. There are also the progressing discussions of the education model on the older thread that spill over to this one. My interview process was very similar to everyone else's. It will be interesting to see how things change this year.

I'm a SOMA MS-I. The interview day at SOMA last year was very organized and consisted of three components:
1) The usual 2 on one interview you get everywhere
2) A group activity, where they observe how you interact with others
3) A file review, where you can discuss any sticky points in your application

I don't know if they're planning on changing anything this year, but don't forget that SDN has an interview feedback forum where you can find out all the details down to the questions asked.

As for curriculum and atmosphere; Right now the first class is sort of the guinea pigs in a new experiment so we have to work through some of the kinks that occur. The faculty and administration seeks a lot of feedback from us and they've been able to improve upon a lot of the things we've requested. I think things will run a lot more smoothly for the second class.

The curriculum is system-based with individual weeks devoted to specific clinical complaints. For example right now we're in Musculoskeletal, week one was low back pain, week two will be upper extremity etc. The courses include a mixture of lecture and small group sessions.

I'm a SOMA MS-I. The interview day at SOMA last year was very organized and consisted of three components:
1) The usual 2 on one interview you get everywhere
2) A group activity, where they observe how you interact with others
3) A file review, where you can discuss any sticky points in your application

I don't know if they're planning on changing anything this year, but don't forget that SDN has an interview feedback forum where you can find out all the details down to the questions asked.

As for curriculum and atmosphere; Right now the first class is sort of the guinea pigs in a new experiment so we have to work through some of the kinks that occur. The faculty and administration seeks a lot of feedback from us and they've been able to improve upon a lot of the things we've requested. I think things will run a lot more smoothly for the second class.

The curriculum is system-based with individual weeks devoted to specific clinical complaints. For example right now we're in Musculoskeletal, week one was low back pain, week two will be upper extremity etc. The courses include a mixture of lecture and small group sessions.

What about exams? Are things being related to board material? Are you getting grouped with your CHC teams? Anything presented during interview presentations that are not quite living up to expectations?
Thanks!

What about exams? Are things being related to board material? Are you getting grouped with your CHC teams? Anything presented during interview presentations that are not quite living up to expectations?
Thanks!

1) Exams occur at the end of the system, they include three practicals for Anatomy, Medical Skills, and OMM, plus two written exams for the system and for OPP

2) I'm not sure about Boards. I've been so busy just studying for the class we have that I haven't even had time to peak into the Board review book I bought.

3) Currently, we are not grouped with our CHCs so that we interact with other people in our class.

4) The only discrepancy between what's taking place and what was mentioned on interview day was the emphasis that "the school doesn't have lectures". The curriculum is definitely lecture-based. The lectures are a little more interactive than your traditional lecture but it varies by instructor.

GreenShirt forgot to mention that we also get tested every 2 weeks plus the finals (he talked about) at the end of every module/system.
BTW I think they said that they try to write the exam questions to mimic the type of questions found on the boards.

1) Exams occur at the end of the system, they include three practicals for Anatomy, Medical Skills, and OMM, plus two written exams for the system and for OPP

2) I'm not sure about Boards. I've been so busy just studying for the class we have that I haven't even had time to peak into the Board review book I bought.

3) Currently, we are not grouped with our CHCs so that we interact with other people in our class.

4) The only discrepancy between what's taking place and what was mentioned on interview day was the emphasis that "the school doesn't have lectures". The curriculum is definitely lecture-based. The lectures are a little more interactive than your traditional lecture but it varies by instructor.

Just wondering if anyone has already interviewed at SOMA for the '08 cycle? If you have, what was the interview like this year? Have the questions changed from last cycle? Any pointers or things I should be aware of? I am starting to get a little nervous. Thanks

Atsu/soma is really slow. I have been complete according to the online status since august and havent heard anything.

Good luck on your interview dc doc.

be patient, they just started interviewing
Atsu/soma is really slow. I have been complete according to the online status since august and havent heard anything.

Good luck on your interview dc doc.

We just had our first group of interviewees in the school today (10/11), and may i mention, walking around like a herd of lost sheep. Its pretty funny thinking we were there just earlier this year.

Interviews are set up for every Thurday, from today until they dont need it anymore. I do know at least the next 4 weeks or so are set up with interviewees.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do they invite for interviews? I have been complete since mid August and havent heard a peep. Do they call, email, or snail mail? I was wondering if they had even started yet!!

How do they invite for interviews? I have been complete since mid August and havent heard a peep. Do they call, email, or snail mail? I was wondering if they had even started yet!!

Same here. I called again on Monday to make sure that everything was ok with my application.

I'm not sure what the deal is.

I received an invite by e-mail and had my interview yesterday. I was one of those lost sheep wandering around. Overall, I thought it was a great experience and I love new ideas and curriculum. Faculty and students were very positive and encouraging. Low stress.

Well, apparently the magic was in posting to this site....got the email invite today! However, due to finances and family reasons, I'm strongly considering declining the interview. Can anyone give me some perspective on the school itself?? I'm having a really hard time deciding if I would be happier there than close to home at MSUCOM. Does anyone have any help for me, maybe websites I could check out or something?? Please feel free to PM me if you wouldnt want to post on here. I just wouldnt want to waste the money and take away someone else's interview spot if I truly am just going to see what I can see....

Anyone know if its true that you can finish the DO degree in 3 years at soma? The website is kinda vague about everything. It makes me want to go to the interview just to find out more about it.

Anyone know if its true that you can finish the DO degree in 3 years at soma? The website is kinda vague about everything. It makes me want to go to the interview just to find out more about it.

It is a four year program

Anyone know how many people the class size is going to be for class of 2012?

I'm interviewing at ATSU/SOMA on Oct. 25 if anyone would like to share a room/car to save some costs. I'm a guy fwiw.

I arrive in Phoenix at 12:24pm on the 24th, interview at SOMA on the 25th, interview at AZCOM on the 26th, and leave at 3:00pm on the 27th.

Feel free to PM me :)
Good luck to all!
T

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything back from them post interview?

It's 3 years at a Community Health Center plus 1 year on the main campus in AZ. LECOM-Erie is the only DO school I know of that offers a 3 year track in primary care.

If you are also staying at the sleep in....come by room 315!
Lets hang out!

It seems that it has been awhile since people have posted. What is the status for those of you that have received interviews? When did you find out and how?

I found out this morning by email that I was offered an interview. At which point they have you log into their online system to pick a date for your interview. Good luck to everyone!

Does anyone know the average GPA and MCAT for SOMA?
How can I find that?
By the way can someone with GPA 2.5 and MCAT 22 get into any DO school?

With both a 2.5 AND a 22? In a nutshell....NO.

I believe the averages for the first class were 3.36 GPA, 3.26 Science, 24 MCAT.

Very unlikely to get in with those scores.

I found out this morning by email that I was offered an interview. At which point they have you log into their online system to pick a date for your interview. Good luck to everyone!

Congrats! Know when you were complete?

Just got my interview invite in email this morning..I think I was complete in Mid-October, so probably around 4 weeks on the dot. i was recently rejected at Kirksville so this cheers me up a bit :)..

i Have about a 3.1 sci / 3.1 overall, 24 S MCAT, 4.0 for my first semester of grad school and a good number of EC's and research experience.

can any current students let me know where I stand? ( i know i'm close to the average, but i'm also interviewing in January , which is not exactly early....)

Just got my interview invite in email this morning..I think I was complete in Mid-October, so probably around 4 weeks on the dot. i was recently rejected at Kirksville so this cheers me up a bit :)..

i Have about a 3.1 sci / 3.1 overall, 24 S MCAT, 4.0 for my first semester of grad school and a good number of EC's and research experience.

can any current students let me know where I stand? ( i know i'm close to the average, but i'm also interviewing in January , which is not exactly early....)

Orangr85, Interviewing in January is not that late. As a first year student @ SOMA, I will tell you that the admission committee is looking for a specific type of students (Read the school mission and vision statement). Once you are offered an interview, Your performance on the interview whether you will be accepted or not. So I will suggest to be familiar with the curriculum (including the CHCs), and practice because they will ask you ethical questions for sure. Also if there is anything on your record that you might be concerned about, the review session is the best time to bring it up and explain (don't make excuses, they want to know why you want to be a physician and how bad you want it).
I hope this helps

Has anyone heard back from the 11/14 interviews yet?

hey I was wondering if anyone knew the deadline for the secondary. I had a really crazy semester and I was not able to get to it until about now. I looked at the seconday but there was no deadline that I could find. Also, what do you all think about me filling out the seconday at this time. Do you all think it is too late or is it worth to give it a shot. What do you all that have interviewed think about the school? Thanks

I JUST became complete at the school and sent it abt 2 weeks ago.. i think fill it out, you should be fine.

I'm curious, how long did it take for you all to get your secondary?

My primary was mailed 11/25 and I'm still waiting. I was wondering what the hold-up was because the website got my hopes up for a speedy secondary with their statement that they automatically send-out the secondaries the next day after receiving aacomas primary. Any thoughts?

I'm curious, how long did it take for you all to get your secondary?

My primary was mailed 11/25 and I'm still waiting. I was wondering what the hold-up was because the website got my hopes up for a speedy secondary with their statement that they automatically send-out the secondaries the next day after receiving aacomas primary. Any thoughts?

I got mine about two weeks after it was mailed out from AACOM. Complete on the 10/21 and got the secondary 11/5. Filled it out the same day got the interview invite within a week. Good luck!

I got mine about two weeks after it was mailed out from AACOM. Complete on the 10/21 and got the secondary 11/5. Filled it out the same day got the interview invite within a week. Good luck!

Wow, you filled it out the same day, nice! Okay, so I won't worry just yet, I'll give it a couple weeks. Thanks!

So, is anyone interviewing on Jan. 18???

I am going for the interview on the 25th....

So I'm working on my secondary, which I just got this morning (Saturday weird) and they want "unofficial" SAT scores. Wow, I'm really going to have to wrack my brain on that one. I can guesstimate my overall but I totally forget the verbal/math breakdown. I went on the sat website and registered and everything to get my scores but then find out they need my admissions ticket info. What?! So, I can either call the SAT people on Monday with my SSN and pay $12 by credit card OR just guess and put down a not completely accurate number and hope the admissions people don't check or care. Hmmmm....it is quite interesting that a med school asks for SAT info. Definitely the first I've seen.

What did everyone else do?

So I'm working on my secondary, which I just got this morning (Saturday weird) and they want "unofficial" SAT scores. Wow, I'm really going to have to wrack my brain on that one. I can guesstimate my overall but I totally forget the verbal/math breakdown. I went on the sat website and registered and everything to get my scores but then find out they need my admissions ticket info. What?! So, I can either call the SAT people on Monday with my SSN and pay $12 by credit card OR just guess and put down a not completely accurate number and hope the admissions people don't check or care. Hmmmm....it is quite interesting that a med school asks for SAT info. Definitely the first I've seen.

What did everyone else do?

I had to do this for LECOM-B too, I just guessed. I'm pretty sure my guess is right but I did guess

I had to do this for LECOM-B too, I just guessed. I'm pretty sure my guess is right but I did guess

Yeah I could probably guess and just hope they don't care if I'm a few points off.

submitted my secondary today, so have they not sent out any acceptances yet or just no one posting on the acceptance thread? I have not read this thread so I apologize if I'm missing something

submitted my secondary today, so have they not sent out any acceptances yet or just no one posting on the acceptance thread? I have not read this thread so I apologize if I'm missing something

These guys are THEE slowest school to process things! :sleep:I had to call them half a dozen times (litteraly) just to make sure they got my rec-letters processed! I sent in my info weeks ago and my file just got “completed” – you’re in for a bit of a wait.:(

These guys are THEE slowest school to process things! :sleep:I had to call them half a dozen times (litteraly) just to make sure they got my rec-letters processed! I sent in my info weeks ago and my file just got “completed” – you’re in for a bit of a wait.:(

Ha, ha, that's ok, actually that might help me out a bit, thanks

Did anyone else feel like they were just repeating their primary aacomas with the "Clinical, Volunteer, Community Service" section? I basically just copied and pasted some of the same volunteer/clinical experience descriptions from my primary, with the exception of a few things added here and there.

Did anyone else feel like they were just repeating their primary aacomas with the "Clinical, Volunteer, Community Service" section? I basically just copied and pasted some of the same volunteer/clinical experience descriptions from my primary, with the exception of a few things added here and there.

yep exactly