Atlantic Bridge 2018 entry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats! Which program did you apply to - 4,5, or 6 year?

Hello guys, my interview is on the 25th for RCSI.
My stats were:
Sophomore in college
4.0 cGPA
4.0 sGPA
Two years of hospital volunteering
CNA certified
Biology teaching assistant & tutor
Neuro research no publications
Glowing recommendation letters
Multiple honors society/honors college

Besides that, I'm not sure what else got me an interview. Furthermore, would any of you be willing to share the pros/cons of this program, specifically RCSI.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all!

So, I have a few responses here that I will chunk together. I won't tag or "@" anyone though, because this will become a very tagalicious post.

1. Hearing from AB?
I have not heard from AB since they notified me that they received my trascript and other app papers. I do not think this is anything to worry about if you applied to 5/6 year programs. From what I've read, you will just hear from the unis when the time comes (whether that is March for acceptance, or waiting until nearly the end of the academic year because you've been waitlisted, or declining your app). However, if you applied to the grad programs, such as RCIS, then you should have heard by now for interview time.

So, if you are appling 5/6/7 year program, I don't think we need to quake in our boots. There is no interview, from what I've gathered. Thus, no contact until much later in the year :(. Anyone read anything else than this?

2. Who is AB anyway?
Advocates? I do not think they advocate for us. They seem solely a bridge program for applications. I think of them like a little ferry organizing and sending in apps across seas. I emailed them about help for my app (questions about dates) and they readily answered. They are there to help you with the application process. I have not seen any evidence that they advocate for us (besides that their entire job is bringing international apps to Ireland haha) further than this. If you are looking for more info. about the unis, I would go to their own websites.

3. Late apps?
I don't think it hurts your chances. Mine was a bit late. Like I said earlier this this thread, we are already kind of on the back of the bus. Irish students from all over Ireland are competing to get into these programs, as they are the only med schools in the country. They are also given priority, as they should be. Internationals, I believe, are considered last. So, uh how much more back of the bus can you get? ;) I read this tale in the older AB threads. Makes total sense.

4. Non-trads vs Studying Abroad
Once you get over the discrimination of foreign medical schools, you will come to realize they are simply...medical schools. I could rant for hours, but I'll just reaffirm what was already said. IMHO, applying is not a waste of time! If you get in and spend an extra year in a medical school program, well...that seems to "cancel" out with the extra time you would have spent in post-bacc here in the US (um, or Canada--do you guys have post-baccs? Let me know!). It's not such a bad deal. Plus, you get the enrichment of studying abroad. You may decide to stay in Ireland! Or if you return to your home country, you'll probably have a slew of tests to do, but it WILL work out if you are determined and a good student. This isn't a hippie preach. My father studied abroad straight out of undergrad in Mexico. Today, he is a VERY successful doc. Hope is real.

Whoops, rant over. But, yeah, applying now seems like it won't hurt. Live on ramen for a while and see what happens. Apply to Aus too if you don't feel so confident. I think you double your chances by applying to both schools!

Goooood luckkk! I don't think I'll be getting in this round. I'm a pretty realistic non-trad. :( Irish schools are too good for me; but, it's my pipe dream. I will live vicariously through everyone who attends, so keep in contact y'all ^_^

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all!

So, I have a few responses here that I will chunk together. I won't tag or "@" anyone though, because this will become a very tagalicious post.

1. Hearing from AB?
I have not heard from AB since they notified me that they received my trascript and other app papers. I do not think this is anything to worry about if you applied to 5/6 year programs. From what I've read, you will just hear from the unis when the time comes (whether that is March for acceptance, or waiting until nearly the end of the academic year because you've been waitlisted, or declining your app). However, if you applied to the grad programs, such as RCIS, then you should have heard by now for interview time.

So, if you are appling 5/6/7 year program, I don't think we need to quake in our boots. There is no interview, from what I've gathered. Thus, no contact until much later in the year :(. Anyone read anything else than this?

2. Who is AB anyway?
Advocates? I do not think they advocate for us. They seem solely a bridge program for applications. I think of them like a little ferry organizing and sending in apps across seas. I emailed them about help for my app (questions about dates) and they readily answered. They are there to help you with the application process. I have not seen any evidence that they advocate for us (besides that their entire job is bringing international apps to Ireland haha) further than this. If you are looking for more info. about the unis, I would go to their own websites.

3. Late apps?
I don't think it hurts your chances. Mine was a bit late. Like I said earlier this this thread, we are already kind of on the back of the bus. Irish students from all over Ireland are competing to get into these programs, as they are the only med schools in the country. They are also given priority, as they should be. Internationals, I believe, are considered last. So, uh how much more back of the bus can you get? ;) I read this tale in the older AB threads. Makes total sense.

Once you get over the discrimination of foreign medical schools, you will come to realize they are simply...medical schools. I could rant for hours, but I'll just reaffirm what was already said. IMHO, applying is not a waste of time! If you get in and spend an extra year in a medical school program, well...that seems to "cancel" out with the extra time you would have spent in post-bacc here in the US (um, or Canada--do you guys have post-baccs? Let me know!). It's not such a bad deal. Plus, you get the enrichment of studying abroad. You may decide to stay in Ireland! Or if you return to your home country, you'll probably have a slew of tests to do, but it WILL work out if you are determined and a good student. This isn't a hippie preach. My father studied abroad straight out of undergrad in Mexico. Today, he is a VERY successful doc. Hope is real.

Whoops, rant over. But, yeah, applying now seems like it won't hurt. Live on ramen for a while and see what happens. Apply to Aus too if you don't feel so confident. I think you double your chances by applying to both schools!

Goooood luckkk! I don't think I'll be getting in this round. I'm a pretty realistic non-trad. :( Irish schools are too good for me; but, it's my pipe dream. I will live vicariously through everyone who attends, so keep in contact y'all ^_^
Why do you think you won't be getting in this round? Mind sharing your stats?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Sure~! I did earlier but some has changed since then, such as my post-bacc work. Mainly concerned about poor grades. In my programs, I will say that I absolutely had a good, solid GPA. But, my weaknesses (quantitative) do show.

I'm from: USA
Education: B.S. and M.S. in Environmental Science; also doing some Post-Bacc atm
GPAs: UG=3.54, Grad=3.83, BCPM-GPA=3.19, Post Bacc undergrad sGPA=3.61
MCAT? Haven't taken it and won't in time.
Applying to: 5-year TCD, NUI-Galway
LORs: 1 from sci (entomology) prof, 1 from writing prof, 1 from nurse practitioner where I work
ECs: Lots. 1000+ hours shadowing MD, but all are from working with my family (not sure if this counts then); mental health internship; 2 years research in ecology + 2 years personal research in ecological trends; volunteering (lots of animal, environmental work); ESL and writing tutor; medicocriminal entomology presentations, etc. I did actually receive a lot of awards for my GPA in my class and major (surprisingly lol, a lot of people struggled with our program but it doesn't count for much here as it is not med related).
"Applicant Type": Considered quite non-trad in USA. Haven't applied to schools here yet, as I've not filled all my pre-reqs or MCAT. I haven't taken a lot of "pre-med" classes. I just found out about AB and Irish schools. It's been a dream to study abroad in Ireland; I would be honored. My family works in mental health, which I am interested in. Ireland has a rich history in psychiatry.

Questions/concerns: I'm a bit (a lot) worried that some of my poor grades will get in the way. My grade pattern is strange; I reproduced below if anyone is curious (strong in life sci, not so much in physical sci, but I'm working on it!). Also, I'm a bit worried about my lack of shadowing/MD recs. I volunteer/work in my family's private practice. As such, I never shadowed any docs that are not in my family and I did not feel comfortable asking a family member for a LOR, as they could be biased.

Gen Chem Series (3 courses): D, C+, A
*Retook GenChem 1 in Post Bacc: A
Physic Series: C, C, B-
Organic Chem Lecture: A-
*Post Bacc (Orgo w/ lab):B+, and in orgo II now
Calc (a horror): A+, D, D, ugh; good thing all my other maths (like college algebra and stats0 were As/Bs.

I've heard that Irish medical schools are getting more competitive. Good for them, as they must be having lots of applicants! Bad for some of us applicants, though :(.

Last edited:
Sure~! I did earlier but some has changed since then, such as my post-bacc work. Mainly concerned about poor grades. In my programs, I will say that I absolutely had a good, solid GPA. But, my weaknesses (quantitative) do show.

G'way with your nonsense. You have an excellent chance at getting an offer through ABP. Thanks for that big post explaining some things as well !

I only got an email asking to update my transcript. Other than that I haven't received anything from them. Please let us know what ABP emails you back!
I haven't received an email telling me to update..the last email I got from them was telling me my application is complete :S

LOL, thank you for the optimism, guys. I wish I could be as confident!

About those emails: I read that they will send an email requsting an update if you 1) sent all of your app papers in on time and 2) you were in the middle of a semester, and so your transcript sent in at the time reported "in progress" classes. So, they are basically requesting your new marks so they can send those in. For anyone panicking. O.O

LOL, thank you for the optimism, guys. I wish I could be as confident!

About those emails: I read that they will send an email requsting an update if you 1) sent all of your app papers in on time and 2) you were in the middle of a semester, and so your transcript sent in at the time reported "in progress" classes. So, they are basically requesting your new marks so they can send those in. For anyone panicking. O.O

I think that everyone is starting to feel the pressure - I know that I am. This process is very mentally time-consuming for me, even though I know that there is nothing that I can do (I've already done everything I can at this point) - but the worry comes from everytime I check my email the possibility that something could be waiting there. Positive or negative. (Defs have been panicking slightly).

We're all sticking together right now and trying to work through this crazy process - and we have done everything we can do until we hear something new. Your thoughts and feelings resonate with me.

I think that everyone is starting to feel the pressure - I know that I am. This process is very mentally time-consuming for me, even though I know that there is nothing that I can do (I've already done everything I can at this point) - but the worry comes from everytime I check my email the possibility that something could be waiting there. Positive or negative. (Defs have been panicking slightly).

We're all sticking together right now and trying to work through this crazy process - and we have done everything we can do until we hear something new. Your thoughts and feelings resonate with me.

Oh buddy, oh man; am I feeling the heat.. The next few months is going to be one giant anxiety attack. I haven’t been this uppity since I was waiting to write / waiting for my passing mark from my licensing exam!

Hi all!

1. Hearing from AB?

2. Who is AB anyway?

3. Late apps?

Thanks for this info, I have applied for 5 yr program, r u sure RCSI doesn't do interviews for 5 yr program?

Thanks for this info, I have applied for 5 yr program, r u sure RCSI doesn't do interviews for 5 yr program?

I heard that they do. Someone has received an II for the 6 year MD, and I know that RCSI does interviews for 4 year MDs. I'm not sure why they would just skip over the 5 year course.

Last edited:
I think Rojo's right.

"Entry Requirements
Applicants will be selected for admission to the 5 or 6 year Medical Programme on the basis of open competition using the following criteria:

• Basic eligibility, i.e. achievement of minimum academic and English language entry requirements.
  • References and life experience, i.e. work / life balance, extracurricular activities, relevant work or voluntary experience, etc.
  • Performance at a structured interview.
    The following requirements are the minimum standards for consideration for entry into the Undergraduate Medical Programme for the Academic Year 2018/2019. Attainment of these grades does not guarantee acceptance to the School of Medicine. Admission to the 5 or 6 Year Programme is at the discretion of Admissions."
Entry Requirements -

Sent an email to ABP today looking for more of a timeline. Here’s what I got. I think everyone might be getting different info based on the ABP rep they are speaking to.

“Admissions committees are still reviewing files for interview. Interview invitations will be sent over the next few weeks. If you are to receive an interview invitation it would be by email. This also does not affect your application to other universities which release their first rounds of offers around the end of March or early April.”

Members don't see this ad :)
Kinda wish they sent out acceptances/rejections the same time as other med schools (such as the Ontario ones)...don't know if my heart can handle this much anxiety until April lol

Kinda wish they sent out acceptances/rejections the same time as other med schools (such as the Ontario ones)...don't know if my heart can handle this much anxiety until April lol

I’d be nice eh. It’s honestly a rollercoaster for me. I have periods of massive self doubt follows by “I got this!” periods. Spring can’t come fast enough! We just need one acceptance !

I find the people at AB extremely unhelpful with any questions I ask them. They ignore the intent of my message and quote me some information that I already knew from reading their website. Hopefully this isn't indicative of the education provided by Irish medical schools, because if I'm going to self-study for 4 years I'd rather live in Australia.

LOL: Rojo, you are so right. We just need ONE ACCEPTANCE. That's all. If I don't get into either of these unis, then I'll be waiting another year to apply to US medical schools. :/ I'm prepared to do the work, but it's a long ways ahead. I also have the doubt/cheerleading episodes.

CleverAdvisor, I noticed that too. To be honest, I don't think they can answer much about the schools. They're job seems to be to know admissions/app due dates and send apps out. I'm not sure if anyone from the Irish unis even works there. They are based in CA. o_O

I find the people at AB extremely unhelpful with any questions I ask them. They ignore the intent of my message and quote me some information that I already knew from reading their website. Hopefully this isn't indicative of the education provided by Irish medical schools, because if I'm going to self-study for 4 years I'd rather live in Australia.

I just got an interview to RCSI! GEM applicant

Congratulations! Kill those interviews!

Has anyone received an interview that applied for the 5/6 year program yet?

Has anyone received an interview that applied for the 5/6 year program yet?

I read that someone in here got an II for the 6 year course. I guess us 5 yearers get the bottom of the barrell !

I read that someone in here got an II for the 6 year course. I guess us 5 yearers get the bottom of the barrell !
I am truly starting to worry now

I am truly starting to worry now

No big deal! Like I said, you only need one acceptance ! Also, its not over until August anyway!

I'm starting to worry too! Still haven't received an interview for the 5 year program and a lot of my friends in Vancouver have. I keep hearing different news from everyone too. One person from ABP said that they have filled up most capacity for the 5 year program and they probably won't be giving out many more interviews. Another person said they are still sending out a lot throughout this week. And then I called RCSI and they said they haven't even started giving out interviews yet so I'm just super confused..... I'm so worried! Has anyone else in Vancouver gotten/not gotten an interview?

I'm starting to worry too! Still haven't received an interview for the 5 year program and a lot of my friends in Vancouver have. I keep hearing different news from everyone too. One person from ABP said that they have filled up most capacity for the 5 year program and they probably won't be giving out many more interviews. Another person said they are still sending out a lot throughout this week. And then I called RCSI and they said they haven't even started giving out interviews yet so I'm just super confused..... I'm so worried! Has anyone else in Vancouver gotten/not gotten an interview?

TBQH I had a lot of similar experiences with the college I went to. I wouldn't pay mind to it ! Everything will work out! Stay positive !

Quick question, does RSCI have interview for their 4 year program? Is there somewhere I can find info on which schools hold interviews for the different programs?

Quick question, does RSCI have interview for their 4 year program? Is there somewhere I can find info on which schools hold interviews for the different programs?
From the ABP website FAQ:
There are three medical schools that require an interview, The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, The University of Limerick and The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland – Medical University of Bahrain. Interviews are conducted in North America and are generally scheduled to take place in New York and Toronto. Interviews are typically planned March through June. Candidates who are invited to interview will be notified well in advance to allow plenty of time for planning and travel.

So then has anyone received interview invited for RCSI's 4 year MD program?

I am US citizen living in Australia, IB score of 41 and have applied for 5 year program through AB. What are my chances?

I am US citizen living in Australia, IB score of 41 and have applied for 5 year program through AB. What are my chances?

You’ll have to say more about yourself so we can have a better idea. ECs, shadowing, volunteer, etc.

4weeks of voluntering work in a hospital and clinic, organising a fund raising dinner, volunteered in school etc ..

Hi there!
I’m considering applying next cycle (am a US Citizen).

If I do end up doing the Atlantic bridge I’d want to stay in Ireland/ the EU for residency/life and I’m curious about how difficult it is to get a residency as a non-citizen and what I’d have to do to pursue citizenship after graduating.

Not sure this is the best thread for this question but I’d appreciate any help/advice!

Hi there!
I’m considering applying next cycle (am a US Citizen).

If I do end up doing the Atlantic bridge I’d want to stay in Ireland/ the EU for residency/life and I’m curious about how difficult it is to get a residency as a non-citizen and what I’d have to do to pursue citizenship after graduating.

Not sure this is the best thread for this question but I’d appreciate any help/advice!

It’s essentially impossible to get a residency in Ireland. The program is built for students to come back to NA. It’s hard to get residencies across Europe as well, especially being a foreign student.

It’s essentially impossible to get a residency in Ireland. The program is built for students to come back to NA. It’s hard to get residencies across Europe as well, especially being a foreign student.
Ah, from what I hear it’s also quite hard to get a residency back in the US as well. Puts you in a bit of a pickle then

Ah, from what I hear it’s also quite hard to get a residency back in the US as well. Puts you in a bit of a pickle then

From what I hear its impossible to get an irish residency. This is because they're nationalistic and want to give their own citizens priority for jobs (which I think is great) anything left over is put to IMG students. Getting into US is the easiest of options. You just have to work your ass off for step 1, 2CK and 3. From easiest to hardest I've read that its :

1.US Residency
2.Canada Residency
3.Abroad (Non-NA) Residency

You're given a handicap going to an IMG school. USDO schools are given preference over these MBBS programs. From what I gather these programs are for people who don't make the cut for CanMD or USMD/DO. So, if you have the MCAT and GPA. I'd recommend going to in-country schools if you can. For those who don't have that option, we have to work extremely hard to get amazing step exams so we can get decent residencies. Also, focus on absolutely crushing med school and keening agt any point we can. From ABP's history, typically the course is filled with Can students, so they DO want to go back home to practice. If you get a Primary Care and a family med license. Go join the CAF, you can specialize at your will once in. Those residencies and training CF side are transferable civilian side. If you want to be a GP, that's fine and is where most IMGs do their residencies. Look at the CaRMS IMG matching PDF on their website to get a ballpark estimate on where we stand for getting into residencies and what kind. A lot of the information im typing can be found in the older ABP threads and just by looking around online. Nonetheless, just work hard and anything obtainable. If you don't want to take the risk, that's fine too.

Any news from the grad programs?

Has anyone received offers yet? I have applied for 5 year program in all Irish medical schools. would they will automatically consider me for 6 year if my application is not comparative enough for 5 year program?

I am applying right after finishing high school with IB curriculum, as ABP website said with IB they usually consider candidates for 5 year program and that's why I applied for 5 year one, now I am worried that if my application is not competitive enough I may not be selected, should I inform ABP that I am willing to be considered for 6 yr program as well?

I am applying right after finishing high school with IB curriculum, as ABP website said with IB they usually consider candidates for 5 year program and that's why I applied for 5 year one, now I am worried that if my application is not competitive enough I may not be selected, should I inform ABP that I am willing to be considered for 6 yr program as well?
Ask ABP how that works. At the very least you'll need to pay an additional $100 to be considered.

I would contact ABP right away. But, I remember I did ask them not too long ago if your application can be cosidered for dual program (i.e. 5 year and 6 year programs either at the same time, or if you are unsuitable for one, then can you be considered for the other) and they told me no. You're in a strange situation though because IB, while they are 'college level,' they really are NOT uni classes. You might be better suited for the 6 year?

Hey guys any news on interviews? I still haven't received one.

I just got an interview to RCSI! GEM applicant
Congrats! May I please ask about your stats and by whom you received an interview email by AB or RCSI themselves?

Congrats! May I please ask about your stats and by whom you received an interview email by AB or RCSI themselves?
I got an email from Atlantic Bridge on behalf of RCSI. The email address I received it from was [email protected] and the subject line read: Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland - Interview Invitation

Anyone here have a back up plan if they don't get in this year? Starting a degree, volunteering, etc?

I'm looking at starting a bachelor's degree in psychology via an online university on top of research.