Atlantic Bridge 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know if there is a facebook page or something like that for accepted/matriculated students? Would love to start getting a grasp on what it's going to be like to find housing and such.

You should start one! As far as information though, the school as some on their website. I looked outside of that and found two rental apps, only one which was worth its salt and still a far cry from zillow or of the others available here. If you use one of these or look at the website, search by postal districts--google a Dublin postal district map. I believe the school is in 2. Look for places along the major public transportation routes. Getting a car over there is not worth the hassle; it's an unbelievable pain. Good luck!

~Mnski~

Members don't see this ad.

You should start one! As far as information though, the school as some on their website. I looked outside of that and found two rental apps, only one which was worth its salt and still a far cry from zillow or of the others available here. If you use one of these or look at the website, search by postal districts--google a Dublin postal district map. I believe the school is in 2. Look for places along the major public transportation routes. Getting a car over there is not worth the hassle; it's an unbelievable pain. Good luck!

~Mnski~
daft.ie is a great place to look for rentals. You can actually select to look for places that are on a public transportation route to your school.

Hey, I see that people are beginning to hear back from RCSI just wondering if anyone has heard back from Trinity College Dublin (TCD) Med yet ! I applied to trinity as a Canadian student from Toronto and i'm just wondering when the usual time to hear back is. On the AB site it says end of March -mid April but seems like that might just be a rough estimate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just talked to RCSI representative at Atlantic Bridge and she told me that admissions are still rolling and they start with the 4 year, then the 5 year, then the 6 year. She also said that last day to here back on the first round of offers are mid next week.

Reactions: 1 user
daft.ie is a great place to look for rentals. You can actually select to look for places that are on a public transportation route to your school.

I agree, daft.ie is great! but the cost of a studio apartment isn't worth it. So I was going to look and see if people are linking up to find roomates for properties with extra bedrooms.

And yes RCSI main campus is in d2, but the GEM building is towards the south. Somewhere near Donnybrook I think, which is 20 mins south of the main campus building on the Dublin bus.

Found the student's union facebook page. Best way to connect with current students.

I'll figure out how to make a class entering 2017 specific group when I get some more reliable internet. Stuck in an airport right now.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree, daft.ie is great! but the cost of a studio apartment isn't worth it. So I was going to look and see if people are linking up to find roomates for properties with extra bedrooms.

And yes RCSI main campus is in d2, but the GEM building is towards the south. Somewhere near Donnybrook I think, which is 20 mins south of the main campus building on the Dublin bus.
Oh definitely agree that studios are beyond expensive. I was currently looking at room shares, but would definitely be willing to find an open house with extra rooms if some other international students wanted to live together.
That way we can all be in hell together when exam time rolls around. haha

Found the student's union facebook page. Best way to connect with current students.

I'll figure out how to make a class entering 2017 specific group when I get some more reliable internet. Stuck in an airport right now.
actually on second thought, is there someone more facebook savvy that would like to take up the task of making a group specific for us? lol

Has anyone who applied to the 5/6 year program heard anything back yet? I know last year, a lot of applicants received their acceptances/rejections around Thursday - Friday for the 5/6 year program, so I am beginning to get concerned. I have heard nothing at all yet. :(

Has anyone who applied to the 5/6 year program heard anything back yet? I know last year, a lot of applicants received their acceptances/rejections around Thursday - Friday for the 5/6 year program, so I am beginning to get concerned. I have heard nothing at all yet. :(

Hey! I'm in the same boat. Was hoping to hear something from any of the schools but was expecting to hear something from rcsi since GEP's have heard back already. Applying for 5 year btw. Dr. Saxman a few posts up said ABP expects for 1st round for RCSI to be done mid next week so I anticipate 5-year decisions will be made Monday/Tuesday. As for the other school.. I don't think we'll be hearing much until late March at think he earliest :(

Hey! I'm in the same boat. Was hoping to hear something from any of the schools but was expecting to hear something from rcsi since GEP's have heard back already. Applying for 5 year btw. Dr. Saxman a few posts up said ABP expects for 1st round for RCSI to be done mid next week so I anticipate 5-year decisions will be made Monday/Tuesday. As for the other school.. I don't think we'll be hearing much until late March at think he earliest :(
Yeah, I really hope so too! I think my anxiety lies in the fact that:

A. the forum this year appears to have less people involved; there aren't as many people who are sharing that they have been accepted, so whether 5/6 year acceptances have started to come out is somewhat unknown

B. the general trend appears to be different this year; last year, it was posted in a forum that all 5/6 year acceptances came out on Wednesday, March 9 - Friday, March 11, so going by last year's trends, they would've already come out. I heard that if you don't receive an email response (no waitlist, rejection or acceptance) then that means your application was not strong enough and will be placed in second round consideration (not sure how that is different from the waitlist)

C. does the longer wait time signify that the applications are more competitive?

Is there anyone who is willing to email Atlantic Bridge to get an update on whether 5/6 year RCSI acceptances have started yet? I am willing to do it, but not until Monday just to space out the number of emails I send to them, but my anxiety is spiking! Either way, good luck to everyone and congrats to everyone who has been accepted!

Last edited:

I just realized that I said I found the student union page and forgot to post a link.... sorry! Here it is: https://www.facebook.com/groups/414766788541585/

Yeah, I really hope so too! I think my anxiety lies in the fact that:

A. the forum this year appears to have less people involved; there aren't as many people who are sharing that they have been accepted, so whether 5/6 year acceptances have started to come out is somewhat unknown

B. the general trend appears to be different this year; last year, it was posted in a forum that all 5/6 year acceptances came out on Wednesday, March 9 - Friday, March 11, so going by last year's trends, they would've already come out. I heard that if you don't receive an email response (no waitlist, rejection or acceptance) then that means your application was not strong enough and will be placed in second round consideration (not sure how that is different from the waitlist)

C. does the longer wait time signify that the applications are more competitive?

Is there anyone who is willing to email Atlantic Bridge to get an update on whether 5/6 year RCSI acceptances have started yet? I am willing to do it, but not until Monday just to space out the number of emails I send to them, but my anxiety is spiking! Either way, good luck to everyone and congrats to everyone who has been accepted!

Very very valid and true points! I was concerned with that as well.. it can be 1 of 2 things.. less applications were submitted this cycle or exactly what you said in terms of less people posting in the forums.. ideally, the first case is true for our own selfish reasons lol but that being said.. in last year's forum, GEP for rcsi acceptances came out March 8th and the 5 year came out the 9th as you mentioned so like you.. I've been pretty concerned about whether or not I was in trouble or not lol.. I'll send ABP an email and get back to you on what they reply!

Glad I'm not the only one thinking this aha

Members don't see this ad :)
actually on second thought, is there someone more facebook savvy that would like to take up the task of making a group specific for us? lol
I volunteer as tribute!

Sooooo I made a Facebook group for the GEM students
RCSI - GEM Class of 2021

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know when the interviews for the 5-year program at Trinity College go out? I got accepted to GEM RCSI but they gave a relatively short period to accept the offer and I wanted to see if I would get into TCD. Also does anyone have any insight into the RCSI 4-year program program versus TCD 5-year? I want to complete my degree in 4 years, but I've heard really great things about Trinity (the school itself), so I thought it would be worth applying to.

For anyone interested, I'm from Toronto. I interviewed for RCSI early march. Also congrats to everyone who's been accepted and for those still waiting best of luck!

Last edited:
Anyone know when the interviews for the 5-year program at Trinity College go out? I got accepted to GEM RCSI but they gave a relatively short period to accept the offer and I wanted to see if I would get into TCD. Also does anyone have any insight into the RCSI 4-year program program versus TCD 5-year? I want to complete my degree in 4 years, but I've heard really great things about Trinity (the school itself), so I thought it would be worth applying to.

For anyone interested, I'm from Toronto. I interviewed for RCSI early march. Also congrats to everyone who's been accepted and for those still waiting best of luck!

The 5 year program is designed to be taken at an undergrad pace. I think you'd be pretty frustrated with it if you've already got a bachelor's degree. Also trinity college is prestigious, but they are known more for their humanities, literature, historical studies, etc and aren't really big on STEM. UCD is gennerally seen by Irish students as the best medical school, but RCSI obviously caters pretty heavily to us North Americans

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The 5 year program is designed to be taken at an undergrad pace. I think you'd be pretty frustrated with it if you've already got a bachelor's degree. Also trinity college is prestigious, but they are known more for their humanities, literature, historical studies, etc and aren't really big on STEM. UCD is gennerally seen by Irish students as the best medical school, but RCSI obviously caters pretty heavily to us North Americans

Thanks, that's useful info! Yeah, I also applied to UCD, so I guess I'll just wait and see if any of them get back to me in time, but otherwise, looks like I'll be heading to RCSI :)

Very very valid and true points! I was concerned with that as well.. it can be 1 of 2 things.. less applications were submitted this cycle or exactly what you said in terms of less people posting in the forums.. ideally, the first case is true for our own selfish reasons lol but that being said.. in last year's forum, GEP for rcsi acceptances came out March 8th and the 5 year came out the 9th as you mentioned so like you.. I've been pretty concerned about whether or not I was in trouble or not lol.. I'll send ABP an email and get back to you on what they reply!

Glad I'm not the only one thinking this aha

Haha, I completely understand how it feels; to not want to think about it because it isn't going to change the outcome, but still not being able to stop thinking about it! I thought that voicing out my (useless) speculations about why we haven't heard back might help people in the same boat feel less alone. Either way, hopefully, we hear back from them tomorrow morning or sometime in the upcoming week, and whatever the outcome is, let it motivate us to work even harder to achieve our goals! :)

Well that is the hope. What I'm scared about is them not emailing at all

Well that is the hope. What I'm scared about is them not emailing at all

I hate being the lame kid to throw in a quote but "Spiteful words can hurt your feelings but silence breaks your heart."- C.S Lewis... Aka Im sure we'd all rather hear that we got rejected or wait listed than to hear nothing for a few more months idk about you but I've never refreshed my inbox and this thread so many times in the span of a day as I did the morning I saw the first accepted posts...

Reactions: 2 users
Will a second round of interviews be conducted for RCSI or will the entering class be occupied by those already interviewed?
Also, I'm hoping I have a reasonable chance of being offered acceptance at one of the other Universities. My stats are as follows:
Canadian
University Graduate (Hon B.Sc)
3.68 GPA, 504 MCAT
Wide range of Extra Curriculars

What are my chances?

Thanks, that's useful info! Yeah, I also applied to UCD, so I guess I'll just wait and see if any of them get back to me in time, but otherwise, looks like I'll be heading to RCSI :)
and there aint nothin wrong with that ;)

Will a second round of interviews be conducted for RCSI or will the entering class be occupied by those already interviewed?
Also, I'm hoping I have a reasonable chance of being offered acceptance at one of the other Universities. My stats are as follows:
Canadian
University Graduate (Hon B.Sc)
3.68 GPA, 504 MCAT
Wide range of Extra Curriculars

What are my chances?
They usually do just one round of interviews, but i'm told that if they exhaust their waitlist (it sometimes happens because they get a ton of movement on that) they will pull in some applications for like a skype interview or something like that.

is it too late to add another medical school to my application? ( 5 year Medicine).
Did anyone here back from TCD? UCC? RCSI? RCSI-MUB? Galway?

They usually do just one round of interviews, but i'm told that if they exhaust their waitlist (it sometimes happens because they get a ton of movement on that) they will pull in some applications for like a skype interview or something like that.

When I spoke to AB a few weeks ago they said there would be a second round in April.

When I spoke to AB a few weeks ago they said there would be a second round in April.

Ahh ok. I'm goin by what I experienced last year but if they say there's two rounds than there are. That's the nice thing about AB, we can email them any question under the sun no matter how neurotic, they don't report those things to the schools or affect our chances of getting in and they know a good amount of detail about each of the schools

How is everyone? On my way to NY this morning. I'm very excited to explore the city before Sunday!

Any updates/news?

Just curious, does anyone know if RCSI decided to interview less people this year? I've read a few times that they over-accepted last year, so I've been wondering if they've decided to be more conservative this year.

Also, does anyone have any experience with any of the schools? Or, any insight, perhaps? I've tried to read as much as I can about the different schools, but haven't found the wealth of information I'd been hoping for. I applied to all of the schools, and ultimately, I'd like to know which is the best (far too subjective, I know) and why.

Side question, Dublin seems to be an expensive city... have any of you guys looked into, or know about, the rest of Ireland?

I lived in Dublin for a year in 2014. Studied abroad at UCD during that time. Dublin is one of those cities that is large, but fairly spread out and there is a huge variety of socioeconomic neighborhoods. You could find rent pretty affordable if you shop around. Daft.ie is a good site for that. The general cost of living is comparable to any large American city. Unless you order a pint, then it's taxed into oblivion lol. There are also a lot of special deals for students that will make it cheaper and great discounts on all sorts of public transport which are conveniently integrated into one tap card service. You're right it's far too subjective to answer your question about the schools lol, but the priority would be to get into one of the ones that are fafsa funded, then top USMLE scores. So those are UCD UCC RCSI. Cork is a smaller city and a bit quieter than Dublin, but I preferred Dublin for the convenience and variety that the city offers.

Edit: NUIG is also fafsa funded I believe but they don't offer a graduate entry option. Galway however is by far my favorite city in Ireland. It's a young proper college town with enough to do to keep you busy but small enough to be affordable. Disclaimer however is that rent in Galway is currently skyrocketing as there is a shortage of housing for the number of people moving to the city.

Just received an interview invite from University of Limerick!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats on the interview treefriend! Knock em dead

Just an update I got from ABP earlier today.. UCC has sent their first round of acceptances for the 5 year program :/ Nonetheless congrats to those accepted!

Has anyone heard from any of the four year programs? It's been radio silence over here.

~Mnski~

I lived in Dublin for a year in 2014. Studied abroad at UCD during that time. Dublin is one of those cities that is large, but fairly spread out and there is a huge variety of socioeconomic neighborhoods. You could find rent pretty affordable if you shop around. Daft.ie is a good site for that. The general cost of living is comparable to any large American city. Unless you order a pint, then it's taxed into oblivion lol. There are also a lot of special deals for students that will make it cheaper and great discounts on all sorts of public transport which are conveniently integrated into one tap card service. You're right it's far too subjective to answer your question about the schools lol, but the priority would be to get into one of the ones that are fafsa funded, then top USMLE scores. So those are UCD UCC RCSI. Cork is a smaller city and a bit quieter than Dublin, but I preferred Dublin for the convenience and variety that the city offers.

Edit: NUIG is also fafsa funded I believe but they don't offer a graduate entry option. Galway however is by far my favorite city in Ireland. It's a young proper college town with enough to do to keep you busy but small enough to be affordable. Disclaimer however is that rent in Galway is currently skyrocketing as there is a shortage of housing for the number of people moving to the city.

Wow, that was a wealth of information. Thank you! After all the time I've spent talking with ABP on top of doing independent research on the schools and scrolling through forums, I cannot believe I didn't know which schools were FAFSA funded. That makes a if difference.

~Mnski~

Does anyone know if RCSI would deny a student based on being waitlisted in the U.S.? I was a little surprised by my email to say the least...

~Mnski~

Hey, guys. I was wondering if you have any advice for me.

I attended high school in the UK and completed A-levels there before deciding to return to the US for university (I lived in the US from birth to the age of nine and have US citizenship, but my family lives in the UK). Last summer (2016-2017), I applied for US MD programs (no DO) and obtained one interview. Unfortunately, I was not offered a place due to a low MCAT score (508) amongst other factors. During the same cycle, I also applied to UK medical schools and received an offer to study medicine at the Newcastle Medical School in September 2017 on the A100 (5-year) program.

After going through each process, I believe I want to practice medicine in the US. I am confident that if I re-apply to DO schools in the US with my current MCAT score and extracurriculars, I will be accepted to at least one DO program. Additionally, I am deliberating re-taking the MCAT to make my application more competitive for MD programs. My question to you all is this: If I am accepted to a DO program in the next cycle, is it worth 'dropping out' of Newcastle Medical school to obtain a medical degree in the US, or is it still possible for me to be competitive for US residencies as an International Medical Graduate (IMG)? I do not have the worry of not obtaining a place in UK residency programs if I decide I want to stay in the UK, as I have settled status in the UK and can apply for citizenship.

Any thoughts or opinions would be excellent, thanks.

I attended high school in the UK and completed A-levels there before deciding to return to the US for university (I lived in the US from birth to the age of nine and have US citizenship, but my family lives in the UK). Last summer (2016-2017), I applied for US MD programs (no DO) and obtained one interview. Unfortunately, I was not offered a place due to a low MCAT score (508) amongst other factors. During the same cycle, I also applied to UK medical schools and received an offer to study medicine at the Newcastle Medical School in September 2017 on the A100 (5-year) program.

After going through each process, I believe I want to practice medicine in the US. I am confident that if I re-apply to DO schools in the US with my current MCAT score and extracurriculars, I will be accepted to at least one DO program. Additionally, I am deliberating re-taking the MCAT to make my application more competitive for MD programs. My question to you all is this: If I am accepted to a DO program in the next cycle, is it worth 'dropping out' of Newcastle Medical school to obtain a medical degree in the US, or is it still possible for me to be competitive for US residencies as an International Medical Graduate (IMG)? I do not have the worry of not obtaining a place in UK residency programs if I decide I want to stay in the UK, as I have settled status in the UK and can apply for citizenship.

Hey! My opinion is to go the DO route personally. It is possible to go from the UK to the states and there are a fair amount of residency positions for IGMs but the only thing that would set you apart from other IGMs is the clinicals/ electives you do in the states in years 3/4/5 depending on the program and your USMLE scores. So that being said, DO is a much safer bet if you plan on doing your residency and practicing in the states. If you plan on practicing in the UK since you have a residence status, then your decision becomes a bit more complicated. I know that some programs in the states allow DO and MD grads to compete for the same positions so you'll need to do your research on that. One thing to consider after doing some research is due to how new some DO programs are, you need to research each specific program and the accreditation they have because not all are equal and some are better than others. Something you could consider doing if your not too concerned about the Financials is accepting your UK offers and paying the deposit like some of the people in this thread and previous threads have done and redo your mcat if you think that's the "limiting reagent" in your situation (sorry for the lame chem joke) and basing your decision off that. If you score higher and have a much stronger mcat, you can forfeit your deposit and try your chances in the states. If not you can go study in the UK. That way, both options are open to you. Thats what I would personally do.

If you want to practice in the states, and can get into a stateside school, try for DO and MD again imo just be diligent and do your research. If you can, keep your options open!

Hope that helps.. tried to keep it unbiased as possible because I'm obviously applying oversees myself as a Canadian with no EU status.

Goodluck!

Edit: I am in no way shape or form an expert. All of us here are learning and adapting as we go on so feel free to correct are nothing I've said and such. Just providing my understanding of the whole shindig from my research/ things I've read/ heard etc..

Last edited:
Does anyone know if RCSI would deny a student based on being waitlisted in the U.S.? I was a little surprised by my email to say the least...

~Mnski~
I have heard rumors that they give a little leniency to students who say that they have not had any luck in American schools, but that is hearsay. However, they are still pretty competitive naturally for a few reasons, the big one being that so many Canadians go there and they have an even larger gap between medical school spots and future demand for doctors than the US does, so RCSI being a very good option gets many applicants who are competitive. I'd say you were rejected for a legit reason and that being waitlisted at a school would not in any way blackball you. I told them myself that I had been interviewed at 3 American schools already, but held RCSI in a higher precedent due to personal and professional reasons that I gave them in my interview. What are your stats if you don't mind sharing? Lots of EC? any volunteering?

Many of us here wouldn't have any good information for you because this is a thread specific to Irish medical schools, not UK ones. I would think that if you lived in the UK long enough you might be able to say you are a permanent resident even if you are not a natural born citizen, in which case you would be eligible for much cheaper tuition rates if you apply for a UK rather than international spot. I don't know the specifics of the whole brexit deal, but I assume that you would be able to apply for the irish or any European school for an EU spot since the trigger hasn't been pulled on brexit yet. Maybe find a way to prove yourself a resident in the UK (via your parents or secondary school records) and apply for a spot as an EU national.

Other than that you might be better off posting on a thread more specific to the UK medical schools and how successful they may or may not be at matching American residencies, what kind of clinical partners they have in the states (super important), and potentially how much time you can spend in the states on clinical electives (also super important as many residencies have a minimum on this to even apply).

Got accepted to RSCI for thier 6 year program 2 days ago :))

Congratulations! Would you mind sharing your stats? Did you have to interview for the 6 year program?

Ya sure! I had my interview in Toronto on March 1st. my ECs are a lot of sports, flag football, volleyball and badminton, along with various school council involvement such as student council, peer mentor programs and an athletic council. None of my EC's were directly medical related, but more with working with people. My academic average is a low 90 for all 4 years of high school.

Ive seen people with much better stats before, but I think the thing that really helped me was my personal statement. The interview was there to basically let the people know who you are and if you have the personality qualifications that are fit for RCSI. In my case, I really don't think my ECs and my academics played a huge part in my selection, more of the PSE and my interview.

Congratulations! Would you mind sharing your stats? Did you have to interview for the 6 year program?

Ya sure! I had my interview in Toronto on March 1st. my ECs are a lot of sports, flag football, volleyball and badminton, along with various school council involvement such as student council, peer mentor programs and an athletic council. None of my EC's were directly medical related, but more with working with people. My academic average is a low 90 for all 4 years of high school.

Ive seen people with much better stats before, but I think the thing that really helped me was my personal statement. The interview was there to basically let the people know who you are and if you have the personality qualifications that are fit for RCSI. In my case, I really don't think my ECs and my academics played a huge part in my selection, more of the PSE and my interview.

Got accepted to RSCI for thier 6 year program 2 days ago :))
Same, I got my acceptance on Monday for 6 year!!! Congrats for everyone who got in and good luck for the ones that are still waiting

Sooooo I made a Facebook group for the GEM students
RCSI - GEM Class of 2021
I tried searching for this group on facebook, but couldn't find it! I have also been accepted to the RCSI GEM program! :)

Hi All, I am currently accepted to two US schools and the RCSI GEM program with waitlists at several other U.S. schools. Given the tight decision timeline for RCSI GEM I am trying to weigh the pros and cons of attending medical school in Ireland. I am a dual citizen, (French/American) schooled in the US and have lived abroad in London and am very open to living an international life. I am curious to hear everyone's thoughts especially those accepted to the RCSI GEM program - reasoning behind attending, etc. My MCAT is a 511 and GPA is 3.82 (Science GPA = 3.66) Thank you in advance!!!