Atlantic Bridge 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi All, I am currently accepted to two US schools and the RCSI GEM program with waitlists at several other U.S. schools. Given the tight decision timeline for RCSI GEM I am trying to weigh the pros and cons of attending medical school in Ireland. I am a dual citizen, (French/American) schooled in the US and have lived abroad in London and am very open to living an international life. I am curious to hear everyone's thoughts especially those accepted to the RCSI GEM program - reasoning behind attending, etc. My MCAT is a 511 and GPA is 3.82 (Science GPA = 3.66) Thank you in advance!!!

I would say that it really depends on your goals. If you intend to get a residency in the US, then 100% go to one of the US schools that accepted you. As a Canadian who got shut out of all the schools I applied to in Canada and the US, RCSI was my plan B (mind you, not a bad plan B). Once you leave North America, no matter what your citizenship is, you will be considered an IMG (at least in Canada that's how it works). Having an IMG status makes it a lot harder to get the residency you want. But if you'd be happy working anywhere, then RCSI would be a great choice. In fact, RCSI being in an European city might have a lot more to offer. I guess it really just depends on your personal preferences and goals. But congrats nonetheless, getting accepted into 3 medical schools is a huge accomplishment!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am assuming congratulations are in order?!
Yes, thank you so much! I am so excited, just got my email today.
McMaster/Toronto undergraduate life science student in my 4th year. Good luck to all waiting to hear!

So just to confirm, Canadians who completed their high school in Canada, and Bachelors of Science from Canadian/American universities don't have to take IELTS or TOEFL right for Atlantic Bridge universities?
I was looking at UCC website and it said that a IELTS or TOEFL was a requirement for international students? Did you all take the test?

So just to confirm, Canadians who completed their high school in Canada, and Bachelors of Science from Canadian/American universities don't have to take IELTS or TOEFL right for Atlantic Bridge universities?

That is correct.

It had the same line when I did CaRMS that you have to do it but somewhere along the way there is a tiny little clause saying if you did you education in an english based school, you're grand.

Got an email that I got an interview for University of Limerick! :) in Toronto on April 6-8th

Reactions: 1 users
Was just on the phone with an Atlantic Bridge Representative, he said that NUI Galway has sent all their acceptances of first round for all programs. Sadly didn't get an email. On the contrary, looks like I will be heading to RCSI. Congrats to everyone who got accepted and good luck for all those who are waiting.

Was just on the phone with an Atlantic Bridge Representative, he said that NUI Galway has sent all their acceptances of first round for all programs. Sadly didn't get an email. On the contrary, looks like I will be heading to RCSI. Congrats to everyone who got accepted and good luck for all those who are waiting.

Weird. I just got this in an email, "The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland has released their first round of offers. Unfortunately, you have not received a first round offer to RCSI, however, your application is on reserve and you are eligible to receive a second-round interview invitation. The next round of interviews for RCSI will be held in Toronto in early-June.

The additional five Irish medical schools you have applied to have not released their first round offers. First round offers will typically be released throughout March and early-April. Please feel free to follow up with us again shortly for further updates on your application.

Best regards,

The Admissions Office"

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Hi everyone :)
I'm completely new to this whole world of forums and it took me a while to figure it out, but here i am!
So i made it to Limerick interview (grad entry) and will be having mine on April 6 in Toronto! so excited! anyone else here picked that date??

Hey Nada93, congratulations on that interview! I'm interviewing on the 8th though. May I ask what province are you from?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Nada93, congratulations on that interview! I'm interviewing on the 8th though. May I ask what province are you from?

Hey :)
Thanks! Congratulations to you too!
I live in Mississauga/Ontario so it's about 40-ish min drive to the interview place! How about you?

Congratulations to those who have revived offers from Limerick! I remember that day well 4 years ago :)

For information on them, I posted a nice long thread in either 2014 or 2015 on this forum. Check the thread out. Lots of answers to your questions will be there!

Congratulations to those who have revived offers from Limerick! I remember that day well 4 years ago :)

For information on them, I posted a nice long thread in either 2014 or 2015 on this forum. Check the thread out. Lots of answers to your questions will be there!

Yeah I read it more than once actually! such a relieving thread. It's just the fact that i'll be spending almost a quarter of a million dollars just for tuition fees is what making really hesitant and worried! It's not a joke and i'm not sure if i'll be able to survive with that much of debt :(

Hey :)
Thanks! Congratulations to you too!
I live in Mississauga/Ontario so it's about 40-ish min drive to the interview place! How about you?

I live in Vancouver/BC, so...a pretty long drive to the interview place....lol
I'm flying out on the 7th.

Yeah I read it more than once actually! such a relieving thread. It's just the fact that i'll be spending almost a quarter of a million dollars just for tuition fees is what making really hesitant and worried! It's not a joke and i'm not sure if i'll be able to survive with that much of debt :(

UL has the cheapest tuition of all the ABP schools unless they've changed it?

Even at that, it's not cheap, no.

Weird. I just got this in an email, "The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland has released their first round of offers. Unfortunately, you have not received a first round offer to RCSI, however, your application is on reserve and you are eligible to receive a second-round interview invitation. The next round of interviews for RCSI will be held in Toronto in early-June.

The additional five Irish medical schools you have applied to have not released their first round offers. First round offers will typically be released throughout March and early-April. Please feel free to follow up with us again shortly for further updates on your application.

Best regards,

The Admissions Office"

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

What??!! I'm so confused right now, are they playing games or did the rep that I talked to gave me false information, cause he also opened up my file and said that u got into RCSI but not in the rest and that I missed NUIG's first round of offers.

What??!! I'm so confused right now, are they playing games or did the rep that I talked to gave me false information, cause he also opened up my file and said that u got into RCSI but not in the rest and that I missed NUIG's first round of offers.

Could be one of you is undergrad entry and one is GEM entry.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey guys! I just found this thread. I was accepted into the RCSI 4 year GEM class of 2021! Yay!
Stats summary: 31 year old, nontraditional (previous BA & MA) | MCAT 33 | post bac GPA 3.98 | several years of hospital volunteering & shadowing in many specialties, I also teach disadvantaged high school & middle school students | this is my third app cycle & I'm waitlisted at one of my IS schools
I interviewed in NYC Feb. 26 & I have until 3/27 to accept
I'm so glad I found this thread! I'm excited about starting med school but also nervous about how in the world I'm going to make the move. I'll def be joining the FB page :biglove:
Good luck to the rest of you still waiting!

F*** I'm getting nervous now. I've heard nothing from any of the schools...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

ABP said the 4 year UCC and UCD offers haven't been sent yet, but that was early last week.

In the past there has been discrepancies in the information given by the different AB representatives. I would take what they say with a grain of salt. It is a tough wait, but you'll be notified as soon as they know something for sure.

^^ Exactly that.

It's agonizing, the waiting. We've all been there. "Did it get lost in the mail? Is something on its way? Where is my application? Who is looking at it?"

But if you are going to hear something, you will be notified via email first, then something gets posted to you later.

Every year, the same freakout happens, and ABP gets inundated with calls and emails about what's going on. I've read that people contact FedEx and see if anything is on its way to them (don't do this, email will happen first).

Schools that interview will send things out by end of March. After April ends, then there will be second rounds or other offers from those schools (RSCI and UL). The rest will have ongoing offers. You can hear as late as September.

It's tough, but the best thing you can do for yourself is to chill out, stop going in circles and wait. I know that won't happen, but it really is the best thing to do.

UCC GEM acceptance through email 10 minutes ago! So excited.

Reactions: 2 users
^^ Exactly that.

It's agonizing, the waiting. We've all been there. "Did it get lost in the mail? Is something on its way? Where is my application? Who is looking at it?"

But if you are going to hear something, you will be notified via email first, then something gets posted to you later.

Every year, the same freakout happens, and ABP gets inundated with calls and emails about what's going on. I've read that people contact FedEx and see if anything is on its way to them (don't do this, email will happen first).

Schools that interview will send things out by end of March. After April ends, then there will be second rounds or other offers from those schools (RSCI and UL). The rest will have ongoing offers. You can hear as late as September.

It's tough, but the best thing you can do for yourself is to chill out, stop going in circles and wait. I know that won't happen, but it really is the best thing to do.

Do you know over how many days they tend so send out offers? Or do they send them all in one day?

I applied to the graduate entry for UCC, UCD, Limerick and RCSI.

I got accepted into UCC today!

Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys! I just found this thread. I was accepted into the RCSI 4 year GEM class of 2021! Yay!
Stats summary: 31 year old, nontraditional (previous BA & MA) | MCAT 33 | post bac GPA 3.98 | several years of hospital volunteering & shadowing in many specialties, I also teach disadvantaged high school & middle school students | this is my third app cycle & I'm waitlisted at one of my IS schools
I interviewed in NYC Feb. 26 & I have until 3/27 to accept
I'm so glad I found this thread! I'm excited about starting med school but also nervous about how in the world I'm going to make the move. I'll def be joining the FB page :biglove:
Good luck to the rest of you still waiting!

Congratulations!!! That's so exciting! May I ask, why Ireland? Are you considering US schools? Also, was your post bac. a masters program? Did you like it? I'm considering doing a post bac. as well.

~Mnski~

Congratulations!!! That's so exciting! May I ask, why Ireland? Are you considering US schools? Also, was your post bac. a masters program? Did you like it? I'm considering doing a post bac. as well.

~Mnski~
Hey! Thanks! Generally, Irish schools carry a good amount of prestige, UK schools are as hard to get into as US MD schools, I wanted an MD and research opportunities, and Australia is just too far away for me. RCSI has a fantastic North American match rate and a long and excellent performance record. Plus, who wouldn't want to spend their med school years on the Emerald Isle! An international medical experience can enrich your education in so many ways. But you should definitely research every school individually for yourself. Contact admissions and get their stats.. Ask to be put in contact with current students.. Look up and contact alumns near you..

There are post bac programs and then there are Special Masters Programs for premeds. Post bac programs are for you if you haven't taken all the premed requirements. SMP's are for premeds who have already taken the premed requirements and want to do something to bolster their resume.
After finishing my MA, I stayed and took premed classes alongside the undergraduates, except I did it in a year and 2 summers. There were a few up-sides to doing it that way: I had control of my schedule, I could take the more advanced OChem 2 instead of regular ochem 2 (I really liked ochem--don't hate), I could add cool extra stuff like stats, biochem and neuro... BUT.. after 3 app cycles, the one thing I would have done differently is do the post bac in a program that has LINKAGES to certain med schools! A friend of mine was also a career-changer. He went directly into the Johns Hopkins post bac 1-yr program, which got him into Brown med school through their linkage and he didn't even take the MCAT! Ugh.. I'm still envious that he got to skip this process pretty much entirely
You have to be very careful with SMP's--especially if they don't say they help you get in. I've heard that adcoms don't really take grades from those programs seriously and that they are sometimes not much more than an extra source of revenue for the school. There are a few good ones though. For example, Tulane's Anatomy Program is a 1-yr program where you take med school anatomy classes. If you prove yourself there, there's a good chance they'll take you and apply the anatomy credits toward your MD. It's not a guarantee but they say they end up accepting a decent percentage of the students in the program. Just investigate each program thoroughly
Wow I didn't intend to write so much.. Hope that helps! :luck:

You know what, the Irish schools also have 5 and 6 year programs. I don't think you need the post bac if you apply to those. Somebody confirm this for me please...

I live in Vancouver/BC, so...a pretty long drive to the interview place....lol
I'm flying out on the 7th.

Oh! Not too bad though! will let you know how mine goes :)

Btw, does anyone know if it's possible to get multiple offers? Or once you get one that's it your application gets pulled out from the other schools?

UL has the cheapest tuition of all the ABP schools unless they've changed it?
Even at that, it's not cheap, no.

No they haven't (according to ABP website it's 41 grands a year). But anyways too early to start worrying about that now i guess! i'm still struggling with what to wear to the interview lol. Btw do you happen to remember if you've received a confirmation email for the interview? I mean so far i've only gotten the congratulations email from the ABP and they even spelled my name wrong . I called them and they confirmed it and that was it!

You know what, the Irish schools also have 5 and 6 year programs. I don't think you need the post bac if you apply to those. Somebody confirm this for me please...

Yep,you don't even need to attempt the MCAT,if you are looking at the 5/6 yr programmes. Definitely a less stricter criteria to apply with :)

Guys,was wondering about this particular section in Atlantic Bridge,
"Candidates presenting with one or more years of college/university are usually considered for the 5 Year Programs."

I am wondering if high school results affects applications for the 5/6 yr programmes,as I didn't fare that well for my high school.(slightly below average for the 6 yr,but way under for the 5 yr) Or will a strong current university result outweigh the high school results?

Last edited:
No they haven't (according to ABP website it's 41 grands a year). But anyways too early to start worrying about that now i guess! i'm still struggling with what to wear to the interview lol. Btw do you happen to remember if you've received a confirmation email for the interview? I mean so far i've only gotten the congratulations email from the ABP and they even spelled my name wrong . I called them and they confirmed it and that was it!

I'm pretty sure I just got the email for the interview which had the information on location and such, then I called to pick my day.

It was 4 years ago though so I might not recall it all! :)

You'll find anything Irish related is super lax. To the frustration of any North American!

As for clothing, I broke every interview rule. I wore a bright red dress, flats, zero makeup, hair down. Similar for residency interviews.

Seemed to work! ;)

Just wear something comfortable so you won't be sweating, adjusting or fidgeting through the day.

Accepted at UCC GEM yesterday.

Reactions: 2 users
I got offered an offer from UCC yesterday as well!
I'm currently waitlisted at RCSI though and I'm really hoping to be able to get off the list. The wait list is not ranked which is kind of worrying me in terms of ambiguity. I'm starting to get discouraged but hopefully will hear back sooner rather than later. Congrats to those that have received acceptances so far!

Has anyone heard from UCD yet? My top choice...

Oh! Not too bad though! will let you know how mine goes :)

Btw, does anyone know if it's possible to get multiple offers? Or once you get one that's it your application gets pulled out from the other schools?

It definitely is possible to get multiple offers, I received an offer from RCSI the day before my offer from UCC came. A friend of a friend also received two offers last year, so it does happen.