Atlantic Bridge 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi did they email you first, or do you just get the acceptance letter in the mail?
email first.

Members don't see this ad.

@everyone accepted to UCC GEM, can you share your stats? (GPA, MCAT)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, I've been lurking on this thread a bit. Received acceptance to UCC on Monday night. Waitlisted for RCSI. No UL interview.

I just saw that they created a group on Facebook: UCC Graduate Entry Class of 2021

Has anyone accepted yet? I'm looking through old threads for UCC vs RCSI or UCC vs any of the other schools. I'm pretty sure I'm accepting UCC at this point, but I'm just looking at the odds for residency and such. It looks like RCSI starts earlier, and I see a lot more RCSI graduates than any others on CPSO (if you're from Ontario, you'll know what I'm talking about haha).

Any thoughts?

Congrats for everyone who received acceptances so far! I guess the St. Patrick's Day acceptances (well, I guess, week?) is still running strong!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all!

Got an acceptance to UCC GEM on Monday, and I'm waitlisted at RCSI. I haven't heard anything from the other schools yet. It's interesting to see 2 other people on this thread in the same position. I'm wondering what the UCC vs RCSI match rate is as well - I can't find any data about UCCs match rate back to North America. I'm also uncertain about the curriculum differences between the schools, but I may have no choice in the matter since the RCSI wait list is ambiguous.

@wuthiee Perhaps why you see more RCSI grads on CPSO is because they take more Canadian grads than UCC? Not sure if this is true, all I have heard is that the UCC GEM class is significantly smaller than the RCSI class. We'd be able to get data so much faster if it was possible to use the medical school people graduated from as a search field on CPSO. *sigh*

Feel free to message me with any questions you may have or to connect! :)

Hi guys! I am waitlisted at RCSI and just got accepted to UCC's GEM program yesterday. Super excited! I am in the same boat as everyone else and would love to hear others' thoughts/input regarding match rates and overall experiences. :) Is anyone choosing an Irish school over a US school by the way? I'm just a bit curious, as I've read a lot of mixed thoughts about that in past threads. Congrats and good luck to everyone!

/
Hi all!

Got an acceptance to UCC GEM on Monday, and I'm waitlisted at RCSI. I haven't heard anything from the other schools yet. It's interesting to see 2 other people on this thread in the same position. I'm wondering what the UCC vs RCSI match rate is as well - I can't find any data about UCCs match rate back to North America. I'm also uncertain about the curriculum differences between the schools, but I may have no choice in the matter since the RCSI wait list is ambiguous.

@wuthiee Perhaps why you see more RCSI grads on CPSO is because they take more Canadian grads than UCC? Not sure if this is true, all I have heard is that the UCC GEM class is significantly smaller than the RCSI class. We'd be able to get data so much faster if it was possible to use the medical school people graduated from as a search field on CPSO. *sigh*

Feel free to message me with any questions you may have or to connect! :)
Okay, so regarding the match rates, there was a discussion from 2015 That listed out match rates for 2014 by CIMSA (Canadian Irish Medical School Association) https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/ucc-vs-rcsi.1127394. refer specifically to @Easily_Sunburned 's post at the bottom of the page. Now I'm sure there are updates to this, and keep in mind this is most likely student collected data from various societies, so there's likely some sort of participant bias/ limits to this data reporting. Regardless, it's quite interesting to know.

Here's the CARMS match rates for this year:
R-1 match reports – 2016 - CaRMS

^ I haven't actually read it due to limited data/no computer at the moment, but it gives you IMG match rates as well. Haven't looked into UK or US, but I'm told by a friend in Ireland that we could eventually apply as a general EU applicant for UK residency positions due to Brexit, so there's no distinction between EU and nom-EU im that aspect.

Has anyone else received/accepted their UCC 5 year offer? Is there a UCC Med class of 2022 facebook group yet?

I'm told by a friend in Ireland that we could eventually apply as a general EU applicant for UK residency positions due to Brexit, so there's no distinction between EU and nom-EU im that aspect.
Do you know if you guys would have to take the PLAB if you wanted to do residency in the UK?

Hi all, I've been lurking on this thread a bit. Received acceptance to UCC on Monday night. Waitlisted for RCSI. No UL interview.

I just saw that they created a group on Facebook: UCC Graduate Entry Class of 2021

Has anyone accepted yet? I'm looking through old threads for UCC vs RCSI or UCC vs any of the other schools. I'm pretty sure I'm accepting UCC at this point, but I'm just looking at the odds for residency and such. It looks like RCSI starts earlier, and I see a lot more RCSI graduates than any others on CPSO (if you're from Ontario, you'll know what I'm talking about haha).

Any thoughts?

Congrats for everyone who received acceptances so far! I guess the St. Patrick's Day acceptances (well, I guess, week?) is still running strong!

I just got into UCC and I'm in the same boat, no UL interview and waitlisted at RCSI. RCSI is my first choice because my brother will be heading there as well but ultimately, if I have no choice, I will go to UCC. I'm also from Ontario and everything I read is regarding RCSI as well.

/
Okay, so regarding the match rates, there was a discussion from 2015 That listed out match rates for 2014 by CIMSA (Canadian Irish Medical School Association) https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/ucc-vs-rcsi.1127394. refer specifically to @Easily_Sunburned 's post at the bottom of the page. Now I'm sure there are updates to this, and keep in mind this is most likely student collected data from various societies, so there's likely some sort of participant bias/ limits to this data reporting. Regardless, it's quite interesting to know.

Here's the CARMS match rates for this year:
R-1 match reports – 2016 - CaRMS

^ I haven't actually read it due to limited data/no computer at the moment, but it gives you IMG match rates as well. Haven't looked into UK or US, but I'm told by a friend in Ireland that we could eventually apply as a general EU applicant for UK residency positions due to Brexit, so there's no distinction between EU and nom-EU im that aspect.

These are the 2016 match rates presented at the UCD match talk last year.

Disclaimer: These numbers were taken from the powerpoint presented by one of the NIMSA leaders. I did not gather this information personally and can't verify its accuracy but, I do know the presenter did have access to this data from a reliable source. These numbers also only included people who actually applied to either ERAS or CARMS and not the total number of north americans with plans to eventually apply for NA residencies.

1. UCD: 10/11 to CARMS and 8/10 to ERAS

2. TCD: 5/8 CARMS and 3/4 to ERAS

3. RCSI: 11/21 to CARMS, 14/19 to ERAS

4. Galway: 3/4 CARMS, 2/2 to ERAS

5. Limerick: 20/25 CARMS, 13/15 to ERAS

6. Cork: CARMS 10/14, 7/7 to ERAS

These are the 2016 match rates presented at the UCD match talk last year.

Disclaimer: These numbers were taken from the powerpoint presented by one of the NIMSA leaders. I did not gather this information personally and can't verify its accuracy but, I do know the presenter did have access to this data from a reliable source. These numbers also only included people who actually applied to either ERAS or CARMS and not the total number of north americans with plans to eventually apply for NA residencies.

1. UCD: 10/11 to CARMS and 8/10 to ERAS

2. TCD: 5/8 CARMS and 3/4 to ERAS

3. RCSI: 11/21 to CARMS, 14/19 to ERAS

4. Galway: 3/4 CARMS, 2/2 to ERAS

5. Limerick: 20/25 CARMS, 13/15 to ERAS

6. Cork: CARMS 10/14, 7/7 to ERAS

Thanks!! These are definitely useful for reference!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard from UCD yet?? I applied to the 5 year programs at UCC, UCD, and RCSI. Haven't heard anything back from anyone yet. Waiting is frustrating! I am not a patient person.

Has anyone heard from UCD yet?? I applied to the 5 year programs at UCC, UCD, and RCSI. Haven't heard anything back from anyone yet. Waiting is frustrating! I am not a patient person.

Nothing yet. AB said "in the next few weeks". Does anyone know if they would send out acceptances after the deadline for accepting UCC? It seems like that might happen, but I don't want to pay a deposit only to get into my 1st choice later...

Nothing yet. AB said "in the next few weeks". Does anyone know if they would send out acceptances after the deadline for accepting UCC? It seems like that might happen, but I don't want to pay a deposit only to get into my 1st choice later...
AB says that if you get one letter of acceptance it is very very rare to get another. The schools coordinate their acceptances so people who get into UCC won't get a UCD acceptance for the most part. It's on the AB website. Bummer really, you can't pick your school lol

I'm getting the feeling that some people on here do not have UCC as their 1st choice and would rather go to RCSI or UCD even if they are considerably more expensive and bigger class sizes from my understanding . Can you guys tell me why you are preferring RCSI/ UCD ? Thank you :) good luck to all!

I'm getting the feeling that some people on here do not have UCC as their 1st choice and would rather go to RCSI or UCD even if they are considerably more expensive and bigger class sizes from my understanding . Can you guys tell me why you are preferring RCSI/ UCD ? Thank you :) good luck to all!
My first choice is definitely UCD. I did a tour of that campus a few weeks ago. I like the vibe there. Plus I would prefer to live in Dublin over Cork. I think their programs are fairly similar. UCD has partnerships with certain schools in the US that I could do elective rotations at. I'm very intruiged by some of their partnerships. Those are the reasons that I personally would chose UCD. I'm from NY, I like the bigger city vibe.

People, if you are accepted to ANY Irish school, go! All of them are equally good.

Reactions: 1 users
I like the bigger city vibe.

There really isn't a "big city vibe" anywhere in Ireland :)

I would personally choose Cork over Dublin, if I had to choose between the two cities. Better food scene, better craic, and better part of the country for stuff to do.

The partnership stuff also means next to nothing, in reality. It's a nice thing that schools boast (and all of them do for X or Y schools in north america), and in the off chance it may pan out, but it's really down to either what you set up yourself or any elective process schools may have.

The partnership stuff also means next to nothing, in reality. It's a nice thing that schools boast (and all of them do for X or Y schools in north america), and in the off chance it may pan out, but it's really down to either what you set up yourself or any elective process schools may have.
Oh so the schools don't set it up for you at all?

There really isn't a "big city vibe" anywhere in Ireland :)

I would personally choose Cork over Dublin, if I had to choose between the two cities. Better food scene, better craic, and better part of the country for stuff to do.

I personally have visited Cork and Dublin, and the two medical school (UCC & UCD). I would prefer Dublin over Cork. It's a personal decision. Everyone is different. I know that it is up to you to set up your clinical rotations in the US. I don't have a problem with that.

Oh so the schools don't set it up for you at all?

I didn't do any US electives, but for Canada, you apply through a portal for ones through Universities. Not through universities (like ROMP or through people you know / networking) you organize completely on your own.

For the States you have to see which schools will allow IMGs to do clerkship electives there, and contact them. The connections that school say they have just may give a contact person or they might know the process, but you will be doing all the stuff on your own, yeah.

I personally have visited Cork and Dublin, and the two medical school (UCC & UCD). I would prefer Dublin over Cork. It's a personal decision. Everyone is different. I know that it is up to you to set up your clinical rotations in the US. I don't have a problem with that.

Yup, personal decision and opinion. Though for big city vibe, hop a cheap flight to London to get your fix of things like proper transport, decent sushi, and things like that :D

For the setting stuff up thing, I just didn't want anyone thinking things were handed to you (as in the general you) over here. It's not! Would have hated someone coming in and being faced with a bad surprise.

I didn't have any information coming in, so I offer up anything I think might be helpful while I still can, before I disappear into residency.

Can anyone tell me what is the in acceptance packet that is sent through the mail? Specifically for UCC. I moved since submitting my application and forgot until I saw on my emailed acceptance that it would be sent to the old address.

Can anyone tell me what is the in acceptance packet that is sent through the mail? Specifically for UCC. I moved since submitting my application and forgot until I saw on my emailed acceptance that it would be sent to the old address.

I'm actually interested to know whether anyone's actually received their acceptance packet by mail yet? I have found that, as a Canadian resident, things crossing the boarder between the States and Canada take the same amount of time as those through international (as in China to Canada) mail, or longer, even with 'express' shipping for American companies. I'd like to know what's in it too!

Acceptance letter, physician form, and deposit form

I'm actually interested to know whether anyone's actually received their acceptance packet by mail yet? I have found that, as a Canadian resident, things crossing the boarder between the States and Canada take the same amount of time as those through international (as in China to Canada) mail, or longer, even with 'express' shipping for American companies. I'd like to know what's in it too!
I got a physical copy in the mail March 24th and an email acceptance March 14th from Galway. I live in Toronto Canada if that helps anyone out time wise!

I am writing my MCAT this Friday (very very nervous).

I am assuming that everyone who got accepted/wait listed to programs that require the MCAT had already completed it, is that correct??

Thanks

I am assuming that everyone who got accepted/wait listed to programs that require the MCAT had already completed it, is that correct??

Thanks

I think some people who haven't taken mcat got conditional acceptances from rcsi granting admission for an MCAT above a certain percentile. Not completely certain on this though. Can anyone confirm?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks

On March 6, 2017 of this thread (page 3) Kaprifolia said that she received a conditional offer from RCSI saying she needed an MCAT score of 501 or higher.

Good luck on you MCAT! I write mine end of April and I understand the nerves! I worry it may be a disadvantage to write it so late. I'm wondering if anyone else has some insight on this?

Last edited:
On March 6, 2017 of this thread (page 3) Kaprifolia said that she received a conditional offer from RCSI saying she needed an MCAT score on 401 or higher.

Good luck on you MCAT! I write mine end of April and I understand the nerves! I worry it may be a disadvantage to write it so late. I'm wondering if anyone else has some insight on this?

They give a deadline to take the MCAT in order to be considered for this cycle. The disadvantage of a later date is simply a binary yes/no in terms of your eligibility to apply based on being within that deadline. A conditional acceptance is a guarantee that you're accepted provided that you take the MCAT within that deadline which is within the prerequisite information to apply and that you get a score equal or greater to the condition. The date you take on your MCAT would have no impact on this because both of those factors are completely independant of that date provided it is within the deadline and if it wasn't they would tell you (or you could ask AB if you're particularly anxious).

If you haven't heard anything at all, I would say it is something else within your application holding them back and there is no sense in trying to rush your MCAT date closer and risk being underprepared. Those who already have MCAT scores and high ones to boot obviously are at an advantage becaue they can be immediately considered on all factors of the application. I would say that since you haven't recieved a flat out rejection that there is nothing damning in your application, but that since you recieved no conditional offer that as it stands now it is not exemplary to the current pool. In short, you've got nothing to worry about with the date of your MCAT, but continue your due diligence to continuously improve your application which includes being well prepared and taking the MCAT when you are good and ready. Also, Atlantic Bridge will take and foward any extracurricular and coursework updates you have to all of the schools right up to the end of this cycle (which can be as late as August for the silent waitlists).

I applied last year to graduate med at UCC, UCD, RCSI and Limerick, and also undergrad med at TCD. I only received an interview at Limerick and ultimately was accepted with a 509 MCAT, 3.7 GPA. Ended up rejecting my offer to go to Australia. Also had a friend who got in with a 505 MCAT, 3.3 GPA.

Heres a pro-tip: when I interviewed for Limerick, I was asked whether I got any offers from other schools. I honestly believe that this weighs into whether you get accepted at Limerick. I believe this was the case because I don't believe my interview was particularly strong, and my group interview was absolutely garbage. The people who got accepted with me were asked the same question and also did not receive any interviews at the other schools.

Apologies if I just missed the implied answer here, but did you tell them you had gotten an offer from another (non-Irish) school, or that you hadn't? Which answer do you believe helped your case? Thanks in advance!

Hey guys!

I've been perusing these threads for a while now, and they've been incredibly helpful. Thank you to everyone who's taken part so far!

That said, I have a tricky question and would appreciate any insight... I got an interview offer for Limerick, as well as an offer of admission from St. George's University of London - Nicosia (British Med School Programme). Has anyone heard of or considered SGUL-Nicosia in comparison to the Atlantic Bridge program? What influenced your decision? I plan on attending my interview for Limerick regardless (knowing that doesn't guarantee an acceptance either way), but I'm just wondering if anyone has any feedback that might help if I end up in a position where I have to choose between the two. Thank you in advance. :)

Hey guys!

I've been perusing these threads for a while now, and they've been incredibly helpful. Thank you to everyone who's taken part so far!

That said, I have a tricky question and would appreciate any insight... I got an interview offer for Limerick, as well as an offer of admission from St. George's University of London - Nicosia (British Med School Programme). Has anyone heard of or considered SGUL-Nicosia in comparison to the Atlantic Bridge program? What influenced your decision? I plan on attending my interview for Limerick regardless (knowing that doesn't guarantee an acceptance either way), but I'm just wondering if anyone has any feedback that might help if I end up in a position where I have to choose between the two. Thank you in advance. :)

Hi!
Welcome! Where are you applying from? I think you need to weigh your chances of getting back into your country of choice after you finish the program. Depending on whether your country places a strong emphasis on a degree from studying in Ireland vs. Cyprus, I think that would be the deal breaker for you. I haven't done any research recently regarding the two schools/programs specifically, but a 2 second google search provided me with this link below, which, if I'm reading correctly, doesn't sound too positive in regards to the SGUL-Nicosia school. Since I've only skimmed through the page and definitely not an expert though, you might want to check a few other sources before you make a decision. I'm sure there are many more positive programme reviews out there to balance out the one I found.

ValueMD Medical Schools Forum
This link is specifically regarding the 6-year program. I'm not sure how many years you are doing, but I'd expect the academic quality to be similar across the different years, anyway.

Hi!
Welcome! Where are you applying from? I think you need to weigh your chances of getting back into your country of choice after you finish the program. Depending on whether your country places a strong emphasis on a degree from studying in Ireland vs. Cyprus, I think that would be the deal breaker for you. I haven't done any research recently regarding the two schools/programs specifically, but a 2 second google search provided me with this link below, which, if I'm reading correctly, doesn't sound too positive in regards to the SGUL-Nicosia school. Since I've only skimmed through the page and definitely not an expert though, you might want to check a few other sources before you make a decision. I'm sure there are many more positive programme reviews out there to balance out the one I found.

ValueMD Medical Schools Forum
This link is specifically regarding the 6-year program. I'm not sure how many years you are doing, but I'd expect the academic quality to be similar across the different years, anyway.

Thank you so much for the prompt reply! So a little bit of background info on me; I'm a Canadian university graduate (BSc.) and I've applied for the 4 year program in both Ireland and the British/Cyprus program. I came across the link you included in your reply, but since it was just one person's opinion/experience (though informative and extensive) I was curious if others on this forum could add their opinions/feedback. There haven't been all that many reviews on this program (I've searched as much as possible on Google, with only a small handful of results), hence my ambivalence. Coming back to Canada would be great, but I wouldn't really mind practicing somewhere in Europe either, if granted the opportunity (I have a dual citizenship).

Apologies if I just missed the implied answer here, but did you tell them you had gotten an offer from another (non-Irish) school, or that you hadn't? Which answer do you believe helped your case? Thanks in advance!

I got the same question from RCSI. I told them yes, but I would rather attend your school, and then proceeded to list my reasons for that answer

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Congrats to everyone who got their acceptances to an Irish school! Went through the same process myself 2 years ago and I am currently in second year going into third year of the UCC GEM program. If anyone has any questions on UCC or living in Ireland in general feel free to message me.

Have applied to all the Irish Universities/College for Medicine with a MCAT score of 35 (translates to a new score of 517) and a GPA of 3.5 with a well rounded CV. No calls till date!

Have applied to all the Irish Universities/College for Medicine with a MCAT score of 35 (translates to a new score of 517) and a GPA of 3.5 with a well rounded CV. No calls till date!

You have pretty competitive stats! Did you apply late? Could be an old MCAT (>3 years) or if you finished your undergrad a while ago and haven't been in school for a while?

Did MCAT in 2015 and completed undergrad in the previous year. Applied early this year.

Did MCAT in 2015 and completed undergrad in the previous year. Applied early this year.
Wow that's very surprising then..2015 is not that old at all...
I applied late (Around February 25th), but still got 1 interview from Limerick. My MCAT score is slight below yours too (515) and so is my GPA (3.4ish)...
I've seen many other people with lower MCAT scores and GPA on this thread get in...you're definitely very competitive.

It might just be luck AND UCD has still not given out first round of offers for GEM. Fingers crossed, maybe that will your university!

Wow that's very surprising then..2015 is not that old at all...
I applied late (Around February 25th), but still got 1 interview from Limerick. My MCAT score is slight below yours too (515) and so is my GPA (3.4ish)...
I've seen many other people with lower MCAT scores and GPA on this thread get in...you're definitely very competitive.

It might just be luck AND UCD has still not given out first round of offers for GEM. Fingers crossed, maybe that will your university!

Thanks for the inputs and congratulations and good luck for the Limerick interview. We will wait and see, hopefully something should happen!

Congratulations to everyone on their acceptances!

I applied in November but had to wait till end of Feb to get my results. My stats are a MCAT of 500 and a GPA of 3.5. I haven't heard any responses from any of the 5 schools I applied to and am panicking so badly. I don't know if I should start thinking of alternatives plans or not.

Congratulations to everyone on their acceptances!

I applied in November but had to wait till end of Feb to get my results. My stats are a MCAT of 500 and a GPA of 3.5. I haven't heard any responses from any of the 5 schools I applied to and am panicking so badly. I don't know if I should start thinking of alternatives plans or not.

Although many of the 1st round offers/interviews have gone out, acceptances for the Irish schools have traditionally went out as late as August. Don't lose hope, but it's always good to look into back-ups as well.

It looks life offers are made up to August/September but it may be pragmatic to have a Plan B. Good luck with your application!

Although many of the 1st round offers/interviews have gone out, acceptances for the Irish schools have traditionally went out as late as August. Don't lose hope, but it's always good to look into back-ups as well.
Thank you for the words of encouragement!