Ask any questions to a Navy Dentist!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone who is currently or has previously served their payback have any opinions as to whether or not the navy hpsp was a damper on their personal life? Yes, I understand the commitment of the military, but if you are in a relationship, has this scholarship affected anyone negatively in a personal way?

Are you asking if the scholarship itself affects the personal life or serving your committment affects your personal life? I am going to assume you are talking about serving the committment after dental school. With that said, being in the miulitary does affect your personal life. To think otherwise would be pure ignorance. When I was on the US Carl Vinson, we were out to sea 27 of 37 months I was attached to the ship. Being away from your family does interfere with your personal life. The thing is how do YOU deal with it. Being on deployments will either make or break a relationship. It is stressful being away from your loved ones. When you come home, adjusting to being with them is also difficult because you both have made separate lives while you are gone. Therefore, there is an adjustment period when coming home.

I will have to say that my wife's and my relationship with each other actually grew while being apart. We forced each other to learn how to make the other feel like we were closer than we really were. We did small things to let each other know we loved them. Did I enjoy having to be away from my wife? No. Do I think I was better off for having been apart? Yes! Because of the deployments, we know how to always make the other know we care even when we don't have the time to spend lots of quality time.

Don't worry about how being in the military may affect your personal relationship. Realistically, if you cannot endure a deployment apart, then how do you think you will be able to make it through other stressful events in your life.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If you get authorized for an outservice civilian residency, your total commitment would be a minimum of 12 years (4 for dental school payback, 4 for OS paybaack, 4 for the OS program itself). If you get an inservice residency it would be a minimum of 8 years.

Hi I've been going through all the threads/posts about commitment years after an inservice residency and I'm getting a lot of conflicting information. You're saying that residency paybacks is concurrent with hpsp paybacks. After an inservice 4 years OMS residency, I'd have 4 more years to serve because I pay both hpsp and residency payback simultaneously. Does it apply to all hpsp recipients? Because this guy (the last post) says that this only applies to hpsp recipients who did not elect to take the 20k sign on bonus, is this true?

Hi I've been going through all the threads/posts about commitment years after an inservice residency and I'm getting a lot of conflicting information. You're saying that residency paybacks is concurrent with hpsp paybacks. After an inservice 4 years OMS residency, I'd have 4 more years to serve because I pay both hpsp and residency payback simultaneously. Does it apply to all hpsp recipients? Because this guy (the last post) says that this only applies to hpsp recipients who did not elect to take the 20k sign on bonus, is this true?

That's absurd. The 20K is yours to keep, as long as you finish school and come onto active duty. It has no effect on your payback.

Members don't see this ad :)
I apologize if this has been asked before but is it possible to do 1 yr credentialing tour in Okinawa, Japan (or anywhere in Japan for that matter) and then spend the rest of your 4 year obligation there as well?

Last edited:
What is the obligation after HPSP has served their 4 years back (assuming no specialties, etc)? I read something about Inactive Ready Reserve but would like more information on this.

When do you receive the 20k signing bonus? I just got the 4-year navy scholarship and I'd like to start investing that money as soon as possible.

When do you receive the 20k signing bonus? I just got the 4-year navy scholarship and I'd like to start investing that money as soon as possible.
Really? Posted twice? ...you'll receive it sometime in the fall of your first year (aka AFTER school starts).

1. Can someone give me a brief timeline of what happens after you graduate from dental school? I heard that your first year you will be assigned in an aircraft carrier or a small ship in one of these places (great lakes IL, Sand Diego CA, Okinawa japan, south carolina, Walter reed in DC) is this true? also is it possible that if you get stationed somewhere else?
Do you just keep rotating among these bases for 4 years? unless you are deployed?

2. I also heard that you have to do some type of tour in which you will be away for 1 year (if you are single) and 3 years if you are married with children. Where are the location of this tour? Does this tour count toward your 4 year payback?

3. What are some possible deployment locations for the navy? I was told that the navy also provide dentists and medical doctors to the marines.

thanks

Your first year will either be an AEGD or credentialing tour. After that, expect some type of deployment (ship, overseas, seabees, Marines/FMF). These are either 3 years (overseas) or 2-3 years (the other tours). You do NOT have to take an unaccompanied tour. There are very few of those anyway, but those that take them can get usually get very favorable assignments after. If you have family, like I did/do, then I think trying for an overseas tour is a good way to go as the family goes with you. That being said, it's away from the USA, and some want to be close to visit family in the states. In that case, I'd push to be with the Marines. If you want to look up ships and locations, they have many bases listed on military.com, although some of the bases have since closed. As for ships, you can be stationed on carriers, amphibious ships, or some repair ships (each is a 2 year tour).

For any of the branches' HPSP, do you participate in regular PT or do you also get to be involved in combat/weapons/emergency/etc. type training along with the other personnel?

Members don't see this ad :)
Usually do an emergency drill once or twice a year, won't necessarily involve you unless you're part of one of the response teams. Command PT depends on which command you're with. Any other training also depends on what command you're with.

Hello everyone. I just wanted to let all the Navy dentistry folks here know that I made a Facebook group page for us last week. I decided to make the group page because I wanted to create a group where Navy dentistry peeps on FB could get together to network / re-connect with one another. Here's the link to the page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1533533223537577/
It would be great if you guys joined the group and invited your friends there as well.

Does anyone one if having an epileptic episode as an infant, but no longer having any other episodes or symptoms of epilepsy, would this automatically disqualify you from any of the HPSPs?

Does anyone one if having an epileptic episode as an infant, but no longer having any other episodes or symptoms of epilepsy, would this automatically disqualify you from any of the HPSPs?

MEPS Regulation 40-1 directs that military entrance processing stations conduct applicant physicals in accordance with Department of Defense Instruction 6130.3 and Army Regulation 40-501, both of which list medical standards for military enlistment/appointment. As far as I know, all the military branches use the medical standards found in AR 40-501.

-------------------

DODI 6301.03 lists medical conditions that are disqualifying. It has a section on seizures in enclosure 4, section 27 (Neurologic), paragraph (n.), which seems to be written in your favor:

n. Any seizure occurring beyond the 6th birthday, unless the applicant has been free of seizures for a period of 5 years while taking no medication for seizure control, and has a normal sleep-deprived electroencephalogram and normal neurology evaluation while taking no medications for seizure control.

-------------------

Here is what is written in AR 40-501 chapter 3, section 30 (Neurological disorders), paragraph (i.):

i. Seizure disorders and epilepsy. Seizures by themselves are not disqualifying unless they are manifestations of epilepsy. However, they may be considered along with other disabilities in judging fitness. In general, epilepsy is disqualifying unless the Soldier can be maintained free of clinical seizures of all types by nontoxic doses of medications. The following guidance applies when determining whether a Soldier will be referred to an MEB.
(1) All active duty Soldiers with suspected epilepsy must be evaluated by a neurologist who will determine whether epilepsy exists and whether the Soldier should be given a trial of therapy on active duty or referred directly to an MEB
for referral to a PEB. In making the determination, the neurologist may consider the underlying cause, EEG findings, type of seizure, duration of epilepsy, Family history, Soldier’s likelihood of compliance with therapeutic program, absence of substance abuse, or any other clinical factor influencing the probability of control or the Soldier’s ability to perform duty during the trial of treatment.
(2) If a trial of duty on treatment is elected by the neurologist, the Soldier will be given a temporary P–3 profile with as few restrictions as possible.
(3) Once the Soldier has been seizure free for 1 year, the profile may be reduced to a P–2 profile with restrictions specifying no assignment to an area where medical treatment is not available.
(4) If seizures recur beyond 6 months after the initiation of treatment, the Soldier will be referred to an MEB.
(5) Should seizures recur during a later attempt to withdraw medications or during transient illness, referral to a PEB is at the discretion of the physician or MEB.
(6) If the Soldier has remained seizure free for 36 months, they may be removed from profile restrictions.
(7) Recurrent pseudoseizures are most commonly seen in the presence of epilepsy. As such, they do not meet the standard under the same rules as epilepsy. While each case may be individualized, their evaluation by a neurologist should be routinely sufficient.

-------------------

If it was just one seizure episode as an infant, and you haven't had any other episodes or needed to take anticonvulsives/antiepileptic drugs, I don't think it would be considered epilepsy. In my opinion, you should be in the clear, and be medically eligible. Of course, I am not a MEPS physician, so I am not qualified to make these decisions.

Some people would probably advise you to not say anything about the episode. This is technically a felony, and I am not going to recommend that you lie. What I would recommend is that you should definitely print out the seizure relevant sections from those two regulations listed above, and bring them with you when you go see a recruiter. Some recruiters may not know, or may be too lazy to look up the reg, and just assume that seizure = automatic medical disqualification without even sending you to MEPS. Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely bring this up to my recruiter.

So I have a question: What are typical utilization tours for prostho/endo/perio/comp residents fresh out of FTIS training at Bethesda?

It seems that typically OMFS go to aircraft carriers. But what about the other specialties?

Thanks in advance.

There is no hard and fast rule on where/what your tour will be out of residency. Generally speaking, you are at the bottom of the pecking list within your specialty. With that being said you will more than likely get the billets that the more senior members of your community don't want. BUT, there are exceptions to the rule, it totally depends on the year you are rolling out of residency and who the specialty leader is for your community.

Just in my experience, I have personally known residents that right out of residency went to Hawaii, Spain, Okinawa, 29 Palms, Paris Island, Quantico, Groton, Newport, Camp Pendleton, Camp Lejeune, USS Blueridge, Kings Bay, etc......

How much time do you have after graduating from dental school to report to your duty station if you have completed ODS already? A few days? Does it vary depending on your orders?

How much time do you have after graduating from dental school to report to your duty station if you have completed ODS already? A few days? Does it vary depending on your orders?

I just got mine a few days ago. My graduation is on 17 May, and I have already completed ODS. I don't have a specific report date, it just orders me to report sometime in June. My AEGD doesn't start until sometime in August, but they are going to put me to work in the clinic in the meantime. I am planning to report on Monday, 2 Jun, since the sooner I report, the sooner I get paid. Your orders may be different though.

My Orders tell me to report no later than June 14th. I will be coming back from ODS on May 10 and graduate May 25. I'm going to get there the first week of June to set things up and start getting paid. I'm sure orders differ depending on where you're going and your particular situation.

My Orders tell me to report no later than June 14th.

CAPT Torske, our detailer, stated that when it says June 14, it is meaning sometime in June 2014. If they wanted you to report no later than June 14th specifically, it would be have been written 14 JUN 14. I guess they make it flexible in case your graduation is a bit late or something.

Last edited:
Here is what you need to consider regarding reporting date. The sooner you report, the sooner you will be put to work. What does this mean to you? This means you will be fast tracked through the UI (Under Instruction) Watch schedule so you can stand watches - be the duty doc for any given day once you are credentialed to practice dentistry in the Navy by Elaine Sawyer. What are these watches? Well, at each command, there is going to be a dentist on call at all times. At the AEGD commands, these watches are usually filled by the junior dentists - mostly LTs who are in the AEGD, GPR or have come to the command following an operational tour. Sometimes, LCDRs will help fill these slots. Anyways, between the beginning of June and mid-August, the current residents are leaving for the first assignements as a dental officer. So, that means there are fewer people to fill the watch schedule. This means the higher ranking officers have to start chipping in which they really don't like doing. That means that as soon as the new bodies (new residents) show up the sooner they get to stop standing watch. So, this is where it applies to you. The sooner you show up, the sooner you help to get them off the watch schedule. You can look at it positively or negatively. Standing watch can be fun and it can suck. I personally don't mind watch. What is watch? You are the duty doc who covers after hours emergent care. This is when you get to see avulsed/fractured teeth, fractured jaws, etc. But then again, you 'll probably do more pulpectomies than any other thing on duty.

Anyways, what it comes down to is if you want a little time for yourself between ODS and reporting, then don't report at the beginning of the month. If you want to get to work, then go as early as you want. You'll get that chance soon enough.

Here is what you need to consider regarding reporting date. The sooner you report, the sooner you will be put to work.

Good point about watch standing. As new LTs, I imagine we are prime targets for watch standing or other scut work. While probably not the most fun use of my time, I think I would rather report earlier so I can start making some money. Between Part II boards, regional licensing exams, and graduation/moving, these end-of-senior-year expenses are putting a dent in my credit card!

When are we supposed to sign up for the new special pay system?

This may have been answered already but how often do you get deployed/go on tours as a new navy dentist and how long do they last?

When you are testing during the PRT, do you have to do everything back-to-back-to-back or do they give you breathers between each event?

When you are testing during the PRT, do you have to do everything back-to-back-to-back or do they give you breathers between each event?

I was given anywhere from 5 (I believe this is the minimum resting time and you can't speed it up) to 10 minutes (I think there may be a maximum resting time of 15 minutes?) between events. I think it depends on if it's just you being tested or if you're doing it with a bunch of other people. But, don't worry you'll definitely get a break to catch your breath and re-focus - it's no Ironman, thankfully.

Here is what you need to consider regarding reporting date. The sooner you report, the sooner you will be put to work. What does this mean to you? This means you will be fast tracked through the UI (Under Instruction) Watch schedule so you can stand watches - be the duty doc for any given day once you are credentialed to practice dentistry in the Navy by Elaine Sawyer. What are these watches? Well, at each command, there is going to be a dentist on call at all times. At the AEGD commands, these watches are usually filled by the junior dentists - mostly LTs who are in the AEGD, GPR or have come to the command following an operational tour. Sometimes, LCDRs will help fill these slots. Anyways, between the beginning of June and mid-August, the current residents are leaving for the first assignements as a dental officer. So, that means there are fewer people to fill the watch schedule. This means the higher ranking officers have to start chipping in which they really don't like doing. That means that as soon as the new bodies (new residents) show up the sooner they get to stop standing watch. So, this is where it applies to you. The sooner you show up, the sooner you help to get them off the watch schedule. You can look at it positively or negatively. Standing watch can be fun and it can suck. I personally don't mind watch. What is watch? You are the duty doc who covers after hours emergent care. This is when you get to see avulsed/fractured teeth, fractured jaws, etc. But then again, you 'll probably do more pulpectomies than any other thing on duty.

Anyways, what it comes down to is if you want a little time for yourself between ODS and reporting, then don't report at the beginning of the month. If you want to get to work, then go as early as you want. You'll get that chance soon enough.

I'm guessing you did your AEGD in Norfolk - Alayne Sawyer only covers NMCP, other commands will have their own medical staff services personnel. What year?

As for watch, it's part of the job. Frankly, I don't mind it. In Norfolk I only got called in a handful of times throughout the year, I was busier at my last duty station. At my current duty station I've never been called in.

This may have been answered already but how often do you get deployed/go on tours as a new navy dentist and how long do they last?

Expect to do one year either in a PGY-1 program or credentialing tour during which you will not be deployed. After that, most dentists will do a utilization tour which may involve either a tour on a ship or with a Marine or Seabee unit, or overseas duty, which will last anywhere from 1-3 years. Some new LTs will go straight to Japan out of school.

I received my orders recently for a credentialing tour at Parris Island. I have read it over and can't figure out if I am green side or blue side. I see my BSC code, but don't really know how to decipher it or what it means. I know it's not really a big deal, just heard better things about green. Does anyone know how we can figure out if we are green or blue, besides just asking...

I heard Parris Island orders are one year only and then you will be re-assigned. If you go green side your orders would be for 3 years at the same base typically.

Question for the Navy Dentist,

Is it possible to apply for the hpsp scholarship your second or third year in D school for those who may not have known of this option prior to starting D1?

Also if so where can I find the requirements and when is the best time to apply?

I'm thinking about applying this year for the Army and Navy HPSP (leaning more towards Navy b/c I'd like to end up in Bremerton or Everett). I'm wondering how deployments are looking in the near future with the war winding down? My wife isn't too excited about me being away for an extended period of time :/

After the mandatory 3 years am I free to go? Can I still work at Walter Reed and continue service but control my work environment? (For 3 years i mean HPSP of course)

I'm thinking about applying this year for the Army and Navy HPSP (leaning more towards Navy b/c I'd like to end up in Bremerton or Everett). I'm wondering how deployments are looking in the near future with the war winding down? My wife isn't too excited about me being away for an extended period of time :/

Deployment schedule will not change significantly for ships and MEUs. That's a sacrifice you both have to be willing to make if you're going to join.

After the mandatory 3 years am I free to go? Can I still work at Walter Reed and continue service but control my work environment? (For 3 years i mean HPSP of course)

I'm not sure what you're asking here. If your active duty contract is up, you can leave. As long as you stay in, the Navy will send you where they need you.

Well, I mean would the Navy count working at WRMH as serving my 3 years?

Well, it looks like you're medical, not dental, so you should probably ask them. If they send you there on active duty PCS orders and you serve three years there, that would count as 3 years towards whatever your commitment is, as long as they weren't 3 years of training or residency etc.

Alright that makes sense, thank you. Another question:

Breast insignia? I know there are about 5 or 6 kinds for doctors (flight surgeon, submarine, etc.) but is there any non-specific designation that doesnt require incredulous amounts of physical attention? I have no other way to word that nicely. I couldnt stand a sub or plane, ship maybe, bases and hospitals are probably more my area of expertise.

Alright that makes sense, thank you. Another question:

Breast insignia? I know there are about 5 or 6 kinds for doctors (flight surgeon, submarine, etc.) but is there any non-specific designation that doesnt require incredulous amounts of physical attention? I have no other way to word that nicely. I couldnt stand a sub or plane, ship maybe, bases and hospitals are probably more my area of expertise.
I'm sorry, but this confuses me. You say you could maybe stand being on a ship? ...It is the Navy

I'm sorry, but this confuses me. You say you could maybe stand being on a ship? ...It is the Navy
I would consider the Army, but I would prefer the Navy. Base or hospital is preferable. I don't see much problem with a ship other than the sub-par food being served. I don't mean to sound snobby, but I have heard horror stories of ships not docking consistently to restock on fresh food. Unless, of course, we dock for every meal, which is impossible.

I would consider the Army, but I would prefer the Navy. Base or hospital is preferable. I don't see much problem with a ship other than the sub-par food being served. I don't mean to sound snobby, but I have heard horror stories of ships not docking consistently to restock on fresh food. Unless, of course, we dock for every meal, which is impossible.
It's the military. Seems like more research on the branch is needed. Why not just work in a civilian hospital? Guaranteed to stay in a hospital. Guaranteed you will not deploy. Guaranteed you can get any food you like.

It's the military. Seems like more research on the branch is needed. Why not just work in a civilian hospital? Guaranteed to stay in a hospital. Guaranteed you will not deploy. Guaranteed you can get any food you like.
Its the principle. I cant see myself being a legitimate doctor without the service attached to my name. Which, by the way, does not mean I dont have a passion for helping people or medicine, it means my preferable destination is the service. My grandfather, great grandfather, and several grandfathers before him were all doctors in the Continental and US Navy. It would seem silly to do otherwise.

Dude,

Don't take this the wrong way, but you need a frigging reality check, and you need to do a lot more research.

Except in very rare cases, flight surgeons and diving medical officers do not practice aboard aircraft and submarines, they take care of the people that do. The dive medical officers do occasionally dive and the flight surgeons occasionally fly, but otherwise they work out of a clinic or on a ship.

There's no sub-par food. While the meals aboard ship might get repetitive since they are on a cycle, the food is fine and in some cases is very good. I was stationed at the most isolated Navy clinic on the face of the planet, we got fresh fruits and veggies on a flight about once a week. You may go longer than that on a ship without them, but they do a pretty good job of replenishing. COD flights and underway replenishments keep the ships well fed even if they don't stop in port.

The reason why the general public holds military service in high regard is because servicemembers are willing to make sacrifices as part of their service. The military does not need doctors who want to sit in a hospital stateside or in some nice friendly foreign country, they need doctors who are willing to support our forces at the tip of the spear. If we didn't need doctors at sea, or in remote location, naval hospitals stateside would be staffed by all civilians and not military officers. While you will certainly get plenty of shore duty as a doctor, that's not the reason the Navy recruits doctors and medical students for.

You're complaining about not getting fresh veggies and fruits every day, while sailors, soldiers, and Marines who get paid less than a third of what you will get paid are living on FOBs and firebases under constant threat of enemy fire. They're not getting fresh foods every day, I can assure you of that. You don't get to have that "service attached to your name" without serving.

Go think, then come back.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users