Navy Comprehensive Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Estonax

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, currently a 3rd year dental student hoping to get more information and insight into the Navy's postgraduate program of Comprehensive dentistry. I recently learned of this 2-yr specialty specific to the Navy and cannot find too much information about it. Most importantly I wanted to see if this was a program worth pursuing: my goal is to either 1) be a general dentist who is comfortable with most procedures but focusing in on restorative/endo/implants or 2) an endodontist. Currently leaning towards 1, as I enjoy the interaction and rapport with patients over time through my time in clinic. Not planning to career Navy but willing to extend the obligation of my HPSP payback to 6-years.

Questions:
1) As it's a 2 year vs 1-year AEGD, is it worth going to the program? Does it make sense to do a credentialing tour instead?
2) What does clinic look like for someone in the program and how does it compare to AEGD/credentialing tour?
3) What was instruction like in the Navy compared to dental school?
4) I heard that as you're now more deployable post-program, you generally will be a department head or a position similar. Does this mean less clinical time?
5) Is it feasible to apply as a 3rd year dental student and get selected for DUINS?
6) Do you learn more than if you were to take lots of CE?

Would love to chat with someone currently in the program!

Members don't see this ad.

1. If you really want to do general dentistry, comp is a good option for you as you’ll be credentialed to do more procedures than you would as a credentialer or aegd resident.

I did a credentialing tour.

If you want to get out asap or plan on specializing in something else, comp wouldn’t make sense. If you want a career, comp sets you up to take billets and jobs that you will help you promoate

2. Clinic really depends on where you are stationed.

3. Really depends on who/what runs the program. The navy comp program is in Bethesda.

4. Yes. You’re first assignment will likely be a ship or marine battalion (NC or Japan) or Bahrain.

You have to “bleed” for the navy in some capacity before you get Europe Florida or San Diego as an assignment.

You may be tasked with being the DIVO or DH and will have to take on duties unrelated to dentistry.

I am experiencing this now as my clinic time has been cut severely due to being paired to a unit that’s deploying.

5. Yes I’ve seen people right out of school get into comp, some I know personally. Comp is undermanned right now from what I’ve heard. This year no one was selected out of dental school, either b/c no applied or because there were better applicants.

6. Yes. Although, military dentistry is completely different than civilian dentistry and this is something you won’t understand till you start your first assignment.

You won’t be placing implants or doing veneers/bridges on the ship. Military dentistry focuses on readiness/eliminating dental problems.

Good luck!

Hi, currently a 3rd year dental student hoping to get more information and insight into the Navy's postgraduate program of Comprehensive dentistry. I recently learned of this 2-yr specialty specific to the Navy and cannot find too much information about it. Most importantly I wanted to see if this was a program worth pursuing: my goal is to either 1) be a general dentist who is comfortable with most procedures but focusing in on restorative/endo/implants or 2) an endodontist. Currently leaning towards 1, as I enjoy the interaction and rapport with patients over time through my time in clinic. Not planning to career Navy but willing to extend the obligation of my HPSP payback to 6-years.

Questions:
1) As it's a 2 year vs 1-year AEGD, is it worth going to the program? Does it make sense to do a credentialing tour instead?
2) What does clinic look like for someone in the program and how does it compare to AEGD/credentialing tour?
3) What was instruction like in the Navy compared to dental school?
4) I heard that as you're now more deployable post-program, you generally will be a department head or a position similar. Does this mean less clinical time?
5) Is it feasible to apply as a 3rd year dental student and get selected for DUINS?
6) Do you learn more than if you were to take lots of CE?

Would love to chat with someone currently in the program!

Reactions: 4 users
1. If you really want to do general dentistry, comp is a good option for you as you’ll be credentialed to do more procedures than you would as a credentialer or aegd resident.

I did a credentialing tour.

If you want to get out asap or plan on specializing in something else, comp wouldn’t make sense. If you want a career, comp sets you up to take billets and jobs that you will help you promoate

2. Clinic really depends on where you are stationed.

3. Really depends on who/what runs the program. The navy comp program is in Bethesda.

4. Yes. You’re first assignment will likely be a ship or marine battalion (NC or Japan) or Bahrain.

You have to “bleed” for the navy in some capacity before you get Europe Florida or San Diego as an assignment.

You may be tasked with being the DIVO or DH and will have to take on duties unrelated to dentistry.

I am experiencing this now as my clinic time has been cut severely due to being paired to a unit that’s deploying.

5. Yes I’ve seen people right out of school get into comp, some I know personally. Comp is undermanned right now from what I’ve heard. This year no one was selected out of dental school, either b/c no applied or because there were better applicants.

6. Yes. Although, military dentistry is completely different than civilian dentistry and this is something you won’t understand till you start your first assignment.

You won’t be placing implants or doing veneers/bridges on the ship. Military dentistry focuses on readiness/eliminating dental problems.

Good luck!
Thanks for your reply!

1. How hard would it be to get credentialed to do procedures if you were a credentialer/AEGD. What types of procedures would you get to do, or is it really situation dependent and based on the needs of the Navy?

2. Are there certain clinic locations that are known to be heavier in certain procedures or is it mostly based on who is currently in charge of the program?

4. Do you know how long these first assignments are if you've gone through a post-graduate dental program? How has your experience been as DIVO/DH?

6. Care to expand on this at all? So should I not expect to get much veneer/bridge experience if I was stationed shoreside or is this mostly a restriction for deployments?

Some additional questions I had in the meantime:
1. What type of procedures have you generally done as a Naval dentist?
2. As a credentialer did you wish you did a 1-year residency (AEGD/GPR)?

I appreciate your time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply!

1. How hard would it be to get credentialed to do procedures if you were a credentialer/AEGD. What types of procedures would you get to do, or is it really situation dependent and based on the needs of the Navy?

2. Are there certain clinic locations that are known to be heavier in certain procedures or is it mostly based on who is currently in charge of the program?

4. Do you know how long these first assignments are if you've gone through a post-graduate dental program? How has your experience been as DIVO/DH?

6. Care to expand on this at all? So should I not expect to get much veneer/bridge experience if I was stationed shoreside or is this mostly a restriction for deployments?

Some additional questions I had in the meantime:
1. What type of procedures have you generally done as a Naval dentist?
2. As a credentialer did you wish you did a 1-year residency (AEGD/GPR)?

I appreciate your time.
1. Very hard.

2. Depends who runs your clinic and what kind of navy/marine unit you're servicing.

4. Ship and marine assignments are 2 years long typically. Overseas hardships tours are 1-1.5 years long.

6. None at all. You'll only do these procedures if you're a prosthodontist. All you do as a navy general dentist is exams and restorative.

1. Exams and restorative. I've done less than 20 crowns.
2. No. I can get out one year earlier by not having done this.

If you are interested in doing a full Navy career, with the understanding that you will do little clinical dentistry in 20+ years, you should definitely do it. The retention bonuses for Comp are off the chain (and unjustifiable IMO, 1.5x endo and second only to OMFS!!) and promotability is greatly enhanced without having to specialize.

Comp dentists are promptly assigned military leadership roles and "high visibility" collateral duties that enhance your officer career but do little to help, and possibly even hinder, your clinical skill.

I know a few comp dentists who have successfully held the desk at arm's length, but this will take a rare combination of assertiveness, boss-pleasing, and straight up good luck, and it won't last forever. Sooner or later, you'll either get out or take the desk, and with the bonuses, you won't get out.

Reactions: 1 user