Navy Reserve Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted433231

Currently applying to be in Navy Reserve. Already graduated from dental school (not a student) btw. Any insight would be helpful. Is there a limit to the amount of time you can be activated?

Members don't see this ad.

Why are you doing this?
9D3AB264-5354-4FEA-9ED2-DDA839E0B4E0.gif

Big Hoss

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As a reservist

Be sure you know what you’re getting yourself in to. The monthly drills come around pretty often. The two weeks a year could be a major pain the ass to be gone from your job.

I guarantee you will have less than no idea what’s going on with no active service prior. I did six years active and hardly understand it. The reserves kind of just expects you to figure most things out on your own.

Positives:
- Tricare is great
- Not hard, but boring. Feels like a waste of time on drills
- changes up life rhythm a bit

I’m only doing it because I already have years towards retirement, I can transfer gi bill to my kids in another three years, and my civilian job is on a base so there is a lot of flexibility and cross over. If not for these I probably wouldn’t recommend it.

As a reservist

Be sure you know what you’re getting yourself in to. The monthly drills come around pretty often. The two weeks a year could be a major pain the ass to be gone from your job.

I guarantee you will have less than no idea what’s going on with no active service prior. I did six years active and hardly understand it. The reserves kind of just expects you to figure most things out on your own.

Positives:
- Tricare is great

I’m only doing it because I already have years towards retirement, I can transfer gi bill to my kids in another three years, and my civilian job is on a base so there is a lot of flexibility and cross over. If not for these I probably wouldn’t recommend it.
DAD03D61-8F36-4D63-9719-013AE9E7E177.gif

Big Hoss

As a reservist

Positives:
- Tricare is great

How hard was it to get a job as a contractor? Also, if you join the reserve and in residency, you can’t be pulled out to do drills/deployment correct?

One of my friends is in residency and does reserves.

She informed her command that she’s in residency and they leave her alone for the most part besides normal weekend drill. So it can work but YMMV.

That being said, with tensions in Europe and Asia rising, it’s not out of the question have Navy dentists mobilized from reserve duty.

OP, No point of doing reserves if you haven’t done any active duty time. It’s a gigantic waste of time and you’ll make a few hundred dollars a month. If you want the military experience, do real active duty. But that’s a whole other discussion.

Reactions: 2 users
How hard was it to get a job as a contractor? Also, if you join the reserve and in residency, you can’t be pulled out to do drills/deployment correct?
I was in the right place at the right time for civilian job. Unfortunately that’s kind of how it works as most hires are internal or prior military.

No idea about residency and reserves but again I don’t see how it would be worth it. You would make a lot more money and have more flexibility just moonlighting somewhere instead during that time.

Just giving a non rose colored perspective.