army vs. navy vs. airforce

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xhamburgersamx

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the salary after graduating from dental school the same for all 3 military branches? Also are there different incentive pays for each branch?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you checked any old threads? Is there something else you want to know that hasn't been discussed yet? I recommend reading the sticky's, those have some good info in them.

Is the salary after graduating from dental school the same for all 3 military branches? Also are there different incentive pays for each branch?

It doesn't matter what branch fo the service you are in. The basic and special pay is exactly the same. The only difference comes with BAH (housing allowance) for your duty station which can vary by as much as $1,000 per month.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's one beauty of being in the military. you don't have to worry about, " I should have joined the -----"! Either way the pay is the same.

How about the treatment of dentists in the three branches. I have heard the air force treats its dentist/healthcare people better - is this true? I'd love to hear from dentists currently stationed in any branch. Thank you

Seriously man, read the stickys. There is literally a ton of great information in there that should answer your questions. I don't mean to be rude, or short, but these inter-service "which one is better/different" threads come up all the time and most of them have been beaten to death already.

Only pay difference I have ever found is that Navy and Army will give you the $20,000 sign on bonus for HPSP. Once you are in - all pay is the same.

Only pay difference I have ever found is that Navy and Army will give you the $20,000 sign on bonus for HPSP. Once you are in - all pay is the same.

With the exception of BAH depending on the location where you are stationed as I previously stated. I only am re-emphasizing this because even though it is not 'pay' since it is an 'allowance', people still figure that into the 'pay' when figuring out how much per month they pull in. Here are a sampling of differences in 2009 BAH for a O-3 (Lieutenant in the navy or Captain in the AF and Army) with dependants:

Mountain Home AFB, ID - $1,323/mo
Fort Hood, TX - $1.371/mo
Pensacola, FL - $1,405/mo
Fort Lewis, WA - $2,082/mo
San Diego, CA - $2,222/mo
Bethesda, MD - $2,362/mo
New York City - $3,069/mo

So, you can see that there can be a big difference in monthly income comparatively. Now, you do pay more per month in some of those area, but if you are worried about having to live in an area where cost of living is greater, don't worry since you are compensated accordingly.

With the exception of BAH depending on the location where you are stationed as I previously stated. I only am re-emphasizing this because even though it is not 'pay' since it is an 'allowance', people still figure that into the 'pay' when figuring out how much per month they pull in. Here are a sampling of differences in 2009 BAH for a O-3 (Lieutenant in the navy or Captain in the AF and Army) with dependants:

Mountain Home AFB, ID - $1,323/mo
Fort Hood, TX - $1.371/mo
Pensacola, FL - $1,405/mo
Fort Lewis, WA - $2,082/mo
San Diego, CA - $2,222/mo
Bethesda, MD - $2,362/mo
New York City - $3,069/mo

So, you can see that there can be a big difference in monthly income comparatively. Now, you do pay more per month in some of those area, but if you are worried about having to live in an area where cost of living is greater, don't worry since you are compensated accordingly.

Hey Navy, if say i am stationed in NYC and received a BAH of 3,069, does the army verify that I am spending that much a month? Let's say I have family in NYC and am staying for free, can I Just pocket that 3k?

Nope, the Army wont care where you live or how much you are actually pocketing. There are, however, some shady areas that are "off limits" at least there were around Ft. Campbell. So, yes, if you get $1500 a month and live in a trailer for $500, you keep the change.

Nope, the Army wont care where you live or how much you are actually pocketing. There are, however, some shady areas that are "off limits" at least there were around Ft. Campbell. So, yes, if you get $1500 a month and live in a trailer for $500, you keep the change.

thanks for the info

Generally,
Most comfortable branch is airforce
Most well paid is navy
Sorry Army

Why? Because of BAH.
Navy bases mostly large bases near coastal area like, San Diego, Florida, or Seattle.

$1000 per month? makes $12000 non taxable difference per year.
Is it small?

Plus, would you enjoy nice city life near beaches or in country side.

Your comment is a little misleading. Although it is true that BAH will vary by location. The military is usually not too off on the amount they pay you in BAH and the cost to live in the area. When I was in Hawaii which is on the high end, the amount I got was just about enough to cover my rent + utilities. Later when I bought there, it covered my mortgage. You can always find cheap housing, or live 2 hours away and commute in - then you may pocket some serious money.

So although you may get nearly $3,000 in some locations that the Navy has bases - you will probably use most of that up in rent/utilities. You may indeed get $2,000 more than some other base the Army has in the midwest - but you spend it all also. So there is not a big financial windfall that you gain by joining one service over another.

Generally,
Most comfortable branch is airforce
Most well paid is navy
Sorry Army

Why? Because of BAH.
Navy bases mostly large bases near coastal area like, San Diego, Florida, or Seattle.

$1000 per month? makes $12000 non taxable difference per year.
Is it small?

Plus, would you enjoy nice city life near beaches or in country side.

I'm really the most worried about treatment of miltary dentists between the branches. I've searched the forums and there are very different posts about it. This is my overall vibe from reading other posts: Airforce treatment of dentist is with upmost respect while the Army treats its dentists like low ranking captains (solider first, healthcare practioner second). Airforce bases are also much nicer and in better areas than Army ones as well. These two reasons scare me from applying to the ARmy HPSP. Can anyone confirm or help me here

This is my overall vibe from reading other posts: Airforce treatment of dentist is with upmost respect while the Army treats its dentists like low ranking captains (solider first, healthcare practioner second). Airforce bases are also much nicer and in better areas than Army ones as well. These two reasons scare me from applying to the ARmy HPSP. Can anyone confirm or help me here

Roger that. That is a fair comparison from my time in the Army and then talking to friends who have transfered over to the AF from the Army. We had an AF weather squadron on our Army airbase and they were paid hardship pay to live on an Army base. I enjoyed the Army but don't join if you think it will be anything like what the boys in blue do.