Army OMFS Opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beitor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I’m an Army HPSP student who is interested in OMFS. That being said, I also find a lot of interest in being a brigade dentist. I’ve been told TOE dentists have more opportunities to attend schools, take part in EFMB and deploy (assuming there will still be some the next few years). So I’m wondering if there are similar assignments for oral surgeons or are there only TDA assignments? If it’s the latter, would I still be able to gain unique military experiences? Or would I be better off aiming to do a couple years as a 63A, then applying for OMFS? If so, does the Army have an expiration date for CBSE scores? I understand I might’ve used terminology incorrectly, so feel free to correct me!

Members don't see this ad.

While 63As can be attached to a line unit most of the really cool stuff comes with those that are attached to SF or civil affairs (after making connections you can apply). There is allegedly a reservist 63N doing cool guy stuff but those doors aren’t open anymore - none of us are staying so you’ll get sent to a “normal” job after residency, there isn’t a surplus of surgeons to do non-OMS duties.

If you want OMS apply as soon and as often as possible if you don’t get in while still in school. Saying you want to prioritize something other than surgery sends the wrong message - there have certainly been guys who do residency after a cool assignment but historically they haven’t done as well academically as those who focused exclusively on OMS from the start

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the reply. Is there any way to be more competitive for a CA/SF slot or is it pretty much just making the right friends? Does anyone get one of those slots straight out of an AEGD? Why are y’all leaving? Lack of competitive pay?

Members don't see this ad :)
While 63As can be attached to a line unit most of the really cool stuff comes with those that are attached to SF or civil affairs (after making connections you can apply). There is allegedly a reservist 63N doing cool guy stuff but those doors aren’t open anymore - none of us are staying so you’ll get sent to a “normal” job after residency, there isn’t a surplus of surgeons to do non-OMS duties.

If you want OMS apply as soon and as often as possible if you don’t get in while still in school. Saying you want to prioritize something other than surgery sends the wrong message - there have certainly been guys who do residency after a cool assignment but historically they haven’t done as well academically as those who focused exclusively on OMS from the start
Lol are there dentists kicking doors? Maybe no one can say what the “cool stuff” is but I’m curious. Civil affairs sounds like stuff with ambassadors. Now that would be cool.

Thanks for the reply. Is there any way to be more competitive for a CA/SF slot or is it pretty much just making the right friends? Does anyone get one of those slots straight out of an AEGD? Why are y’all leaving? Lack of competitive pay?
These guys want to deploy with people they like, they can trust, who have a good attitude and will happily embrace the suck that comes with being downrange. Anyone physically fit can apply but they will care more about a personal recommendation, say you play rugby or go to the same CrossFit gym as some of them. Not many people get those opportunities so feel free to pursue it but don’t count on it. Again, you should decide whether you want to focus your energy on that or OMS as each job has huge demands.

Pay is awful, expect to earn 5x on thr civilian side. Biggest thing is working environment, you will have little autonomy as DHA and big Army needs come first. Check out some of the discussions here and more so on the military medicine subreddit to get a better picture of your future.

Reactions: 1 user