Army-Baylor DPT applicant (applying 2020 - 2021 cycle)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finally reached a recruiter. I'm happy to email the packet he sent me if anyone wants to get started, just DM me your email.

To add to rjc92eod, my first recruiter never responded. I then emailed back to the Virtual Recruiting Center (the original email response from the online submission) and told them I wasn't having any luck. They put me in contact with a different medical recruiting station. You could probably go either way though.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone! I’m interested in applying to this program summer 2021. I’ve had very little luck on finding how good my chances are as far as academics are concerned. I know this is a competitive program. My stats are
3.82 overall
3.78 pre reqs
GRE math 159
GRE verbal 156
GRE writing 4.5

I know that there’s a lot more to getting into the program than through academics alone but for those of you who moved on to phase 2 I'm wondering if your stats were similar to mine? Any help or advice will be appreciated.

Hi Everyone! I’m interested in applying to this program summer 2021. I’ve had very little luck on finding how good my chances are as far as academics are concerned. I know this is a competitive program. My stats are
3.82 overall
3.78 pre reqs
GRE math 159
GRE verbal 156
GRE writing 4.5

I know that there’s a lot more to getting into the program than through academics alone but for those of you who moved on to phase 2 I'm wondering if your stats were similar to mine? Any help or advice will be appreciated.
Not sure what my pre rep GPA was but, no lie, we have the exact same stats. GRE and GPA. kinda freaky. I will add though, during my interview they wanted to know more about my leadership positions so make sure your application exemplifies any leadership positions you have had.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure what my pre rep GPA was but, no lie, we have the exact same stats. GRE and GPA. kinda freaky. I will add though, during my interview they wanted to know more about my leadership positions so make sure your application exemplifies any leadership positions you have had.
Thank you! This gives me hope. I’ve been involved with army rotc for a few years now so I’ll be sure to ellaborate on my leadership experience within the program. Much appreciated!

Thank you! This gives me hope. I’ve been involved with army rotc for a few years now so I’ll be sure to ellaborate on my leadership experience within the program. Much appreciated!
I was also in ROTC! (still am, haha). Make sure to go for the cadet internship programs! I was given the opportunity to do the AMEDD internship and got to shadow an active duty physical therapist which helped significantly in getting observation hours and understanding the role of an active duty p.t

Reactions: 1 user
3.82 overall
3.78 pre reqs
GRE math 159
GRE verbal 156
GRE writing 4.5

We have similar stats but observation hours also make/break it. Last year when I applied, I documented few observation hours and put all my work experience as a PT Assistant in civilian PT practice directly treating patients into Work Experience, which I thought made sense. That application was denied. This time, all my outpatient, inpatient, homecare work, geriatric and sports settings since 2011 was documented under observation hours since I always worked directly under a PT, and this application has made it to Phase 2 this time around. Try to really bump up observation hours in a variety of settings, and a military PT setting (which is hard to find) for observation hours also would really help.

We have similar stats but observation hours also make/break it. Last year when I applied, I documented few observation hours and put all my work experience as a PT Assistant in civilian PT practice directly treating patients into Work Experience, which I thought made sense. That application was denied. This time, all my outpatient, inpatient, homecare work, geriatric and sports settings since 2011 was documented under observation hours since I always worked directly under a PT, and this application has made it to Phase 2 this time around. Try to really bump up observation hours in a variety of settings, and a military PT setting (which is hard to find) for observation hours also would really help.
Thank you! I’ve been trying but due to covid it’s been pretty hard to gain observation hours so hopefully they take that into account by the time I put in my application. So far I have 100 hours between outpatient and skilled nursing which I think meets the minimum requirement but it’s better than nothing.

Thank you! I’ve been trying but due to covid it’s been pretty hard to gain observation hours so hopefully they take that into account by the time I put in my application. So far I have 100 hours between outpatient and skilled nursing which I think meets the minimum requirement but it’s better than nothing.
Yes definitely, hopefully they take that into consideration. But definitely try to push for more hours in the coming months. So far in my experience, being this the 2nd time I'm applying, the competitiveness of the applicants and only meeting the bare minimum of the requirement doesn't cut it. I know military PT hours is tough to get, but try your best to get acute hospital hours if you can, since you already have outpatient and SNF down.

There a certain day the recruiter needs the AMEDD application? Mine is on leave for a while and said they can review when they get back. In other words, when’s the deadline?

There a certain day the recruiter needs the AMEDD application? Mine is on leave for a while and said they can review when they get back. In other words, when’s the deadline?
My recruiter mentioned in an email that my CV needs to be done by the 15th of January in order to be ready for the board. I’m not entirely sure he is correct, or if he meant the entire packet, but that’s what he told me.

There’s plenty of time though so I wouldn’t stress yet.

My recruiter mentioned in an email that my CV needs to be done by the 15th of January in order to be ready for the board. I’m not entirely sure he is correct, or if he meant the entire packet, but that’s what he told me.

There’s plenty of time though so I wouldn’t stress yet.
I would double check your recruiter on that one. My recruiter initially told me I needed a CV, but later found out that the information from PTCAS was all that was required for that portion of my packet. It seems as though they will sometimes treat you as though you're a regular direct accession (doctor, nurse, etc.), but the procedure is a bit different for these army-baylor schools. Unless something has changed this year, I doubt you need one either.

I would double check your recruiter on that one. My recruiter initially told me I needed a CV, but later found out that the information from PTCAS was all that was required for that portion of my packet. It seems as though they will sometimes treat you as though you're a regular direct accession (doctor, nurse, etc.), but the procedure is a bit different for these army-baylor schools. Unless something has changed this year, I doubt you need one either.
After a few back-and-forths with paperwork I knew he didn’t need I decided not to fuss with things I could easily provide him. Luckily I’m prior service so I had the expectation of doing unnecessary tasks for my recruiter.
For anyone reading this don’t forget you can forward the emails from Mr. Stephens to your recruiter, particularly the ones that state what they do and do not need from you!

But yes, as @TheDevLee said I’d double check with your recruiter, because I don’t believe that information is correct about anything being due that soon.

After a few back-and-forths with paperwork I knew he didn’t need I decided not to fuss with things I could easily provide him. Luckily I’m prior service so I had the expectation of doing unnecessary tasks for my recruiter.
For anyone reading this don’t forget you can forward the emails from Mr. Stephens to your recruiter, particularly the ones that state what they do and do not need from you!

But yes, as @TheDevLee said I’d double check with your recruiter, because I don’t believe that information is correct about anything being due that soon.
Talked with my recruiter today. I asked about needing to do all of the security clearance questions since I’m on active duty and possess a clearance already. He said unfortunately I’d still have to do it and that he’d need the DCA application submitted to him by the end of January.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im a civilian and haven’t taken the ASVAB since my Sophomore year in hs. Y’all think I would have to take that, or would I just do the physical exam?

Im a civilian and haven’t taken the ASVAB since my Sophomore year in hs. Y’all think I would have to take that, or would I just do the physical exam?
You will not need to take the ASVAB

I just finished my Physics 2 course this fall semester. My question is, do I send my updated transcripts only to PTCAS or to the Army-Baylor program as well?

For those that already went through MEPS, how’d it go? Y’all do a lot of paperwork?

Any civilians that go through MEPS and do the physical examination yet?

Any civilians that go through MEPS and do the physical examination yet?
Went through on Monday. Pretty generic physical. Tested eyes, hearing, ecg, blood sample and urine sample followed by a visit with a doc.

Went through on Monday. Pretty generic physical. Tested eyes, hearing, ecg, blood sample and urine sample followed by a visit with a doc.
Thanks. There any papers we have to sign there?

How are y’all coming along with this whole process?

I believe I'm done with everything. Now the waiting game begins.

Hey, hoping for some clarification. Once we are approved by MEPS and our recruiter has our PTCAS docs. & other paperwork, we just wait until April to find out the board's decision, right? There really isn't anything else to do besides wait...?

Hey, hoping for some clarification. Once we are approved by MEPS and our recruiter has our PTCAS docs. & other paperwork, we just wait until April to find out the board's decision, right? There really isn't anything else to do besides wait...?
yea once your recruiter says your package is complete it really is just a waiting game from here

I just saw that there were admissions briefing events on the website. Did anyone attend these? Or the in person tours previous years? If so did these events have valuable information?

I just saw that there were admissions briefing events on the website. Did anyone attend these? Or the in person tours previous years? If so did these events have valuable information?
I attended one last year when it was changed to virtual. But yeah, it's only an hour and I felt like it was well worth it. Some topics are Army related (like what the ACFT is) which won't be useful for you in particular. But I've spent a stupid amount of time reading their site, these forums, etc. and still got a lot out of it...got my questions answered. There's also a block on the application you check if you've attended it. Don't imagine it's too heavily weighted but I'd assume they do it to see who's at least put some effort into learning about the program.

Could anyone explain how the semesters are laid out? I know that there are only four semesters and that the program is 30 months long. Is each semester 7.5 months long, and are there any breaks in the semesters/between the semesters?

Could anyone explain how the semesters are laid out? I know that there are only four semesters and that the program is 30 months long. Is each semester 7.5 months long, and are there any breaks in the semesters/between the semesters?
I cannot speak to the validity of what I think will be the case as I’ve never been in the program, but I have been in the Army.

There will likely be no breaks outside of Christmas block leave which will be about 2-3 weeks long. As well as federal holidays.

I cannot speak to the validity of what I think will be the case as I’ve never been in the program, but I have been in the Army.

There will likely be no breaks outside of Christmas block leave which will be about 2-3 weeks long. As well as federal holidays.
Lol not a bad guess, my friend. We get some 3-4 day weekends and a week off between semesters, but the only true "break" is holiday block leave in December.

Semesters are more like 6-6-6-12. The last semester is a year long clinical affiliation.

From what I have heard and been told, in the past, no benefit has been conferred for having attended a tour. For the record, I didn't attend one myself.

Question about back-up schools. If you receive an acceptance for a school that starts this summer, would registering for their classes right now mess up anything for the Army-Baylor program? Registering for classes for one program does not prevent you from attending another, correct? Because it's just registering for classes, not actually attending classes...Think this question should be emailed to the program about this? Here's to hoping they release acceptances sooner than later! Thanks in advance.

Question about back-up schools. If you receive an acceptance for a school that starts this summer, would registering for their classes right now mess up anything for the Army-Baylor program? Registering for classes for one program does not prevent you from attending another, correct? Because it's just registering for classes, not actually attending classes...Think this question should be emailed to the program about this? Here's to hoping they release acceptances sooner than later! Thanks in advance.
I am in the same predicament because the other grad school program I applied to already sent acceptance letters and requirement for non-refundable deposit fees that are due way before the Army Baylor board (week of 20th). Here’s to hoping we get notified sooner rather than later, but from knowing how the Army works, those board dates are hard dates and do not change. From what I also am aware, as long as you have not started any classes yet in any other program, it should not affect anything with Baylor. Since those classes are in the summer, you should be able to withdraw from those classes if you do get accepted to Baylor. Good luck!

I am in the same predicament because the other grad school program I applied to already sent acceptance letters and requirement for non-refundable deposit fees that are due way before the Army Baylor board (week of 20th). Here’s to hoping we get notified sooner rather than later, but from knowing how the Army works, those board dates are hard dates and do not change. From what I also am aware, as long as you have not started any classes yet in any other program, it should not affect anything with Baylor. Since those classes are in the summer, you should be able to withdraw from those classes if you do get accepted to Baylor. Good luck!
Thanks for sharing! That's what I figured, but I haven't registered for the program's classes yet because I was nervous it would interfere with the Army-Baylor program. Good luck to you as well!

Registering for classes will not mess up anything for this program. The only downside is losing whatever the deposit is. In fact, with the current rules you are even allowed to start classes elsewhere and if you get into Army-Baylor, you can drop from the other program and switch over. I was registered for classes at another program before coming here, and one of my classmates here had already started classes at a different PT school before switching over.

Registering for classes will not mess up anything for this program. The only downside is losing whatever the deposit is. In fact, with the current rules you are even allowed to start classes elsewhere and if you get into Army-Baylor, you can drop from the other program and switch over.
Thanks, NMSU_Kines! Do you happen to know where to find the rules? I was trying to look for them, but I couldn't find anything definitive. That's great to know, though.

Could anybunny explain how the semesters are laid out? I know that there are only four semesters and that the program is 30 months long. Is each semester 7.5 months long, and are there any breaks in the semesters/between the semesters?
There are technically 3 semesters with a 3 month clinical affiliation in between the 2nd and 3rd.
After you complete the 3rd semester and oral boards, you move on to your 12 month clinical internship.

Y’all think we’ll get notified Friday the 23rd (the day after the board closes) or notified the 26th/27th (Mon/Tues) the week after the board met?

Y’all think we’ll get notified Friday the 23rd (the day after the board closes) or notified the 26th/27th (Mon/Tues) the week after the board met?
I pray that we get word on Friday. I am, however, expecting to wait until next week. I suppose it depends on whether of not the board pushes info to our recruiters over the weekend (I would guess not). Either way, we are quickly closing in on a huge weight being lifted even if the news isn't what we want to hear

Reactions: 1 users
There are technically 3 semesters with a 3 month clinical affiliation in between the 2nd and 3rd.
After you complete the 3rd semester and oral boards, you move on to your 12 month clinical internship.
Close - there are 2 semesters before a 6.5-week clinical, then third semester, orals and a 12-month internship

The clinical affiliation after second semester is 6.5 weeks long (not 3 months).

I pray that we get word on Friday. I am, however, expecting to wait until next week. I suppose it depends on whether of not the board pushes info to our recruiters over the weekend (I would guess not). Either way, we are quickly closing in on a huge weight being lifted even if the news isn't what we want to hear
I would not anticipate news on Friday.