Army-Baylor Class of 2019 (Sept 16 BOLC Report/Jan 17 DPT Start)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Real quick question for the group, does anyone know Army-Baylor's GRE retake policy? Do they take the higher score or the average? I'm taking the test so late that I don't have much time to retake it if I bomb it. You have to wait 21 days between retakes so if I really get bomb it I could potentially get one more try in before the deadline. Of course, I wouldn't have much time to study and make a drastic improvement. I also think my wife might leave me. I haven't been a pleasant person to be around this last week or so as I've been getting closer to the test date. Just a wee bit stressed...

Members don't see this ad.

Real quick question for the group, does anyone know Army-Baylor's GRE retake policy? Do they take the higher score or the average? I'm taking the test so late that I don't have much time to retake it if I bomb it. You have to wait 21 days between retakes so if I really get bomb it I could potentially get one more try in before the deadline. Of course, I wouldn't have much time to study and make a drastic improvement. I also think my wife might leave me. I haven't been a pleasant person to be around this last week or so as I've been getting closer to the test date. Just a wee bit stressed...
I don't know for sure, but my best guess is that they only see your best GRE score since GRE ScoreSelect allows you to only send the scores you choose. Either way, it doesn't matter. You are going to do just fine on the GRE. Don't even think about the possibility of having to retake the test at this point. It sounds like you have been studying fiercely for the past few weeks. If you are already happy with your practice test scores now, I am positive you will score around the same, if not better, on the real test. So, stop stressing and start believing that you will absolutely crush the GRE.

Something that I always do when preparing for big tests is I take a day off from studying on the final day before the test. It gives me the chance to relax my mind and eliminate most of my anxiety, so I can go in with a fresh, positive attitude on test day. If you have already studied for many weeks, you may want to consider doing the same. Your GRE score won't be vastly affected by one more day of frantic cramming; however, it may be improved if you are able to settle your nerves. Your brain will thank you, and you can spend some quality time with the wife :)

Reactions: 1 user

Absolutely don't worry about the GRE. I know it can seem stressful since a lot hinges on that one day, but if what I can tell of you from on here is any indication, you will do great. Your GPA is high and you seem very articulate in your writing on here, so the verbal should be no problem at all. My GPA is slightly lower than yours and I ended up not studying at all (probably not advisable, but it was in part due to getting appendicitis and having emergency surgery the week before the test) and I made a 326. It's really not that bad, and I bet the practice tests are if anything a little tougher than the actual test. I'm not sure what Army-Baylor's policy on retakes is, but seriously I highly doubt you'll need to worry about that! :) Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
You all are right. I just need to find a way to relax. I don't usually get this worked up about things, but it feels like soooo much hinges on this test. It was a calculated risk to leave the Army and knock out my prereqs. Since my discharge everything I have done has been building up to this moment. My wife has been very supportive and sacrificed a lot in the process. I feel like I will be letting us both down if I bomb. I know I have the knowledge, but I am psyching myself out. I just need to find a way to calm my nerves. I wonder if it's too late to book a massage. :thinking:

Enough about me, good luck to you all and thank you for the support. Hopefully we all get in and we can grab a beer this time next year in sunny San Antonio.

ABGLA2016, Have you heard anything regarding interviews yet? I wonder if they are going to wait until all of the applications are in before they start interviews or if they are going to start interviewing stronger candidates right away. I know they are making a big push to get applications right away so I'm hoping it's the latter.

I also heard we won't be notified concerning interviews until after Nov 1st

I got an email from the program in general saying that I had been selected for an interview and would be contacted to set up an appointment, and then a few minutes later a second one from an army PT who I believe will be my interviewer. So I'm pretty sure your interviewer contacts you to set the time!

What date did you get your email from US Army-Baylor confirming they received your verified PTCAS application? I'm getting anxious because I submitted my application fairly early and haven't gotten an email for an interview yet - I also just submitted new GRE scores a few weeks ago, however. Thanks!

What date did you get your email from US Army-Baylor confirming they received your verified PTCAS application? I'm getting anxious because I submitted my application fairly early and haven't gotten an email for an interview yet - I also just submitted new GRE scores a few weeks ago, however. Thanks!

I got the email last Thursday, 10/1. I definitely wasn't expecting to hear so soon though, so I wouldn't worry yet!

I got the email last Thursday, 10/1. I definitely wasn't expecting to hear so soon though, so I wouldn't worry yet!

Thanks! When was your application verified though? I got an email at the end of August (the 28th) saying they had received my completed PTCAS application. I'm just trying to see what the timeline looks like between that verification email and the email sent about interviews. Congratulations!!

Thanks! When was your application verified though? I got an email at the end of August (the 28th) saying they had received my completed PTCAS application. I'm just trying to see what the timeline looks like between that verification email and the email sent about interviews. Congratulations!!

Thanks! I got that email on August 24th.

Hi guys. Just need some clarification here.. Does BaylorDPT have rolling admissions? PTCAS says no; however, the fact that some have already received interviews seems to suggest otherwise. I'm just worried because I still haven't submitted my application (still waiting to get into shadowing at the VA).

Hi guys. Just need some clarification here.. Does BaylorDPT have rolling admissions? PTCAS says no; however, the fact that some have already received interviews seems to suggest otherwise. I'm just worried because I still haven't submitted my application (still waiting to get into shadowing at the VA).

No, they don't have rolling admissions. Army-Baylor has a more complicated selection process than other programs. In addition to the academic requirements, they have to complete the military screening process, which can talk a while. After all of that stuff is complete they hold a selection board at the end of February. I believe they are starting interviews early so they can start getting people into the military screening portion.

No, they don't have rolling admissions. Army-Baylor has a more complicated selection process than other programs. In addition to the academic requirements, they have to complete the military screening process, which can talk a while. After all of that stuff is complete they hold a selection board at the end of February. I believe they are starting interviews early so they can start getting people into the military screening portion.
I see. Does that mean that applying very close to the November deadline has no big effect on my chances?

I see. Does that mean that applying very close to the November deadline has no big effect on my chances?

I'm not entirely sure to tell you the truth. If they are allowing people to progress to the military processing stage not long after their interview it could put you at somewhat of a disadvantage. If you submit near the deadline your application wouldn't be verified by PTCAS until the beginning of December, which probably pushes your physical and what not into January. That wouldn't leave much if you need any medical waivers or anything of that nature. tcpt is actually on the staff down there and might be able to provide more guidance in regards to timelines. Have you set up anything with the VA? It can take a long time to get setup through them. It's also becoming increasingly difficult to get observation hours there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not entirely sure to tell you the truth. If they are allowing people to progress to the military processing stage not long after their interview it could put you at somewhat of a disadvantage. If you submit near the deadline your application wouldn't be verified by PTCAS until the beginning of December, which probably pushes your physical and what not into January. That wouldn't leave much if you need any medical waivers or anything of that nature. tcpt is actually on the staff down there and might be able to provide more guidance in regards to timelines. Have you set up anything with the VA? It can take a long time to get setup through them. It's also becoming increasingly difficult to get observation hours there.

We started conducting interviews 1 OCT. We have encouraged all applicants to apply early and not wait until the deadline since our review/recruiting process is extended by the medical and background check piece. As indicated in program communications to the applicant pool, not all applicants will be interviewed. Waiting to complete the PTCAS application is not recommended. PTCAS indicates that applicants should complete their applications as soon as they can do it and allow other materials--observation hours, LORs, etc to catch up with it. We agree and would appreciate applicants to complete the PTCAS application sooner rather than later.

Reactions: 1 users
Nobody is proceeding to the military processing stage yet.

Have you completed your interview yet? If so, how'd it go?

Have you completed your interview yet? If so, how'd it go?

I have. I think it went well (at least I hope so!), but really there's no telling. I've never had an interview over the phone before, so that was a little different. All that's left now is waiting...from what I understand, probably for a good while longer. It's weird being done with everything, but it's all out of my hands now I guess, so just have to try to be patient and see what happens, haha.

Let us know if you hear about an interview!

I have. I think it went well (at least I hope so!), but really there's no telling. I've never had an interview over the phone before, so that was a little different. All that's left now is waiting...from what I understand, probably for a good while longer. It's weird being done with everything, but it's all out of my hands now I guess, so just have to try to be patient and see what happens, haha.

Let us know if you hear about an interview!
I'm sure you did great! I'm sure there's some relief knowing that it's over with. My application was finally verified today. Hopefully, I hear something in the next couple of weeks about an interview.

Has anyone else heard anything regarding an interview yet? I know I'm way down the queue at this point. I'm kicking myself for not finishing my app sooner.

Has anyone else heard anything regarding an interview yet? I know I'm way down the queue at this point. I'm kicking myself for not finishing my app sooner.

My app was verified 28 Aug, but I didn't take my GRE until 15 Sept. I still have yet to hear about an interview. I'm sure there is an order to the process based upon when they receive ALL your required materials. Who knows. I'm anxiously waiting, as well, but not worried ... yet =). The application deadline hasn't even hit yet, so there is still a lot of time for interviews to be conducted. I don't like being stressed out about it, but when you want something this bad, it's hard not to be.

Last edited:
I was wondering how being in the army reserves would affect the "military processing stage"?

You'll have to get a conditional release (I believe it's a DA Form 4187) to complete your processing. I'm not sure what level it has to go to (BDE, CMD, USARC. etc) so I would get the ball rolling right away. Contact your recruiter and also let your COC know ASAP to get everything started.

You'll have to get a conditional release (I believe it's a DA Form 4187) to complete your processing. I'm not sure what level it has to go to (BDE, CMD, USARC. etc) so I would get the ball rolling right away. Contact your recruiter and also let your COC know ASAP to get everything started.

Ok, I figured I would need to get released from my contract, I was wondering more to the in processing/evaluation portion of the screening process (physical, PT test). If I am already in the system will that help to speed up the process?

Example

My unit is doing a PHA (periodic health assessment) in Dec would that be sufficient to supplement the Baylor physical?

Can I submit my current PT test, or will I need to go take one with a recruiter?

Ok, I figured I would need to get released from my contract, I was wondering more to the in processing/evaluation portion of the screening process (physical, PT test). If I am already in the system will that help to speed up the process?

Example

My unit is doing a PHA (periodic health assessment) in Dec would that be sufficient to supplement the Baylor physical?

Can I submit my current PT test, or will I need to go take one with a recruiter?

I don't want to end up giving you the wrong info so I would check with your recruiter to be sure. I don't think there is a PT test involved with the application process. There is no mention a DA 705 on the list of required documents my recruiter sent me, but I would definitely double check with your recruiter. As far as the physical goes I believe you will still need to get another one on top of the PHA. I believe the commissioning physical is more in depth than a PHA.

My app was verified 28 Aug, but I didn't take my GRE until 15 Sept. I still have yet to hear about an interview. I'm sure there is an order to the process based upon when they receive ALL your required materials. Who knows. I'm anxiously waiting, as well, but not worried ... yet =). The application deadline hasn't even hit yet, so there is still a lot of time for interviews to be conducted. I don't like being stressed out about it, but when you want something this bad, it's hard not to be.

Any word yet? I think you are a couple of weeks ahead of me so I'm using your timeline as a guide. :)

I got an email from Baylor on oct 8th saying that I would be contacted for an email, but now it's November and I still haven't been contacted by any faculty or staff regarding the interview. Anyone in the same boat?
I submitted my PTCAS application on September 2nd and it was verified at the end of September.

I got an email from Baylor on oct 8th saying that I would be contacted for an email, but now it's November and I still haven't been contacted by any faculty or staff regarding the interview. Anyone in the same boat?
I submitted my PTCAS application on September 2nd and it was verified at the end of September.

Hmm, it might be a good idea to email them back and follow up that... I received an email from my interviewer almost immediately after that initial email, so that makes me think there could have been a mistake.

I got an interview!!! I just received the initial interview notification email from the program. I'm not sure if the email is automated or if someone is manually sending the messages. If it's the latter someone is burning the midnight oil, it's nearly 9 PM in San Antonio. I still have a long way to go, but getting that email definitely takes a bit of weight off my chest. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting, I'm sure you will hear something soon.

I got an interview!!! I just received the initial interview notification email from the program. I'm not sure if the email is automated or if someone is manually sending the messages. If it's the latter someone is burning the midnight oil, it's nearly 9 PM in San Antonio. I still have a long way to go, but getting that email definitely takes a bit of weight
I got an interview!!! I just received the initial interview notification email from the program. I'm not sure if the email is automated or if someone is manually sending the messages. If it's the latter someone is burning the midnight oil, it's nearly 9 PM in San Antonio. I still have a long way to go, but getting that email definitely takes a bit of weight off my chest. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting, I'm sure you will hear something soon.
off my chest. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting, I'm sure you will hear something soon.
Congratulations!! That was quick. I hope your interview goes well!

I will remain confident and hopeful to hear something soon. :) last time you applied, were you told why you weren't selected for an interview or what the weak areas of your app were? I just want to know what the next step is if I don't get an email from someone who's done such a great job improving their resume. Thanks!

Last edited:
Congratulations!! That was quick. I hope your interview goes well!

I will remain confident and hopeful to hear something soon. :) last time you applied, were you told why you weren't selected for an interview or what the weak areas of your app were? I just want to know what the next step is if I don't get an email from someone who's done such a great job improving their resume. Thanks!

It was much quicker than I expected. When I saw an email from the program pop up I initially thought there was something missing from my application. I was honestly shocked to hear back so fast. Hopefully that's a good sign.

This is actually my first year applying. I started to apply last year, but I decided not to submit at the last minute because I didn't feel my application was strong enough. When I left the Army I had absolutely zero science prereqs completed so I was taking 2 to 3 science courses at a time when I went back to school, which didn't leave much study time for the GRE. I knew that keeping my grades as high as possible while studying for the GRE meant one of the two areas would suffer. While I had a handful lot VA hours last year, I didn't yet have any military observation hours. I was able to knock that out in the spring. I was also able to cultivate some professional relationships (including a mentor that is an alumnus of the program) that I believe translated into very solid recommendations. I don't think my original application would have been horrible, but during the past year I was able to tighten everything up and put together a strong application.

I got an email saying my application wasn't competitive for this cycle. It's very disappointing - I thought I had a great shot. Hopefully I can find out where the weak spots were in my application and strengthen it for next year. I wish all the other applicants the best! Anyone who gets into this program is truly blessed.

I got an email saying my application wasn't competitive for this cycle. It's very disappointing - I thought I had a great shot. Hopefully I can find out where the weak spots were in my application and strengthen it for next year. I wish all the other applicants the best! Anyone who gets into this program is truly blessed.

Sorry to hear that. I'm sure they are swamped right now, but perhaps when the application rush tapers off they'll be willing to let you know what areas you can improve on. Are you applying anywhere else this year or are you just going to wait and apply next year?

Just finished my interview. My nerves still need to settle a bit, but I think it went well. I can't go into specifics, but the interviewer was very friendly and it felt more like a conversation than an interview. It still feels good to be done with the interview and it is definitely a wait off my chest. All in all I feel like I put together a strong application and I really like my chances. The waiting part is going to be nerve racking in its own regard, but I feel pretty good knowing I gave it my all and whatever happens now is pretty much out of my hands.

Reactions: 2 users
My application got verified yesterday and I got an email today about an interview! So excited. Any helpful suggestions for the interview?

My application got verified yesterday and I got an email today about an interview! So excited. Any helpful suggestions for the interview?

We were told not to give away too much about the interview so I can't go into specifics, but I will say that nothing seemed out of left field. They really just want to know the person behind a somewhat faceless application. It's sound cliche, but just be yourself.

Just had my interview- it seemed to go ok! My interviewer was very easy to talk to and open to questions. Does anyone know when we will next hear from the program regarding the physicals and background checks?

Just had my interview- it seemed to go ok! My interviewer was very easy to talk to and open to questions. Does anyone know when we will next hear from the program regarding the physicals and background checks?

I asked about the timeline for the rest of the process and I was told that there isn't an exact date yet. I'm hoping we hear something by the end of the month. The board date isn't until the end of February, but the holidays are about to start which will definitely slow the wheels of progress.

Just had my interview on Wednesday! Same as ya'll, it seemed to go well and I'm relieved that it's over. Can't wait to hopefully hear about getting my military physical done. Please post if ya'll hear about the physical! Good Luck :)

Also, do selected applicants go to OCS or ODS? My interview person said ODS but I was originally under the impression that selected applicants go to OCS.

Also, do selected applicants go to OCS or ODS? My interview person said ODS but I was originally under the impression that selected applicants go to OCS.

It's direct commission, not OCS. Here is a link to the Basic Officer Leader Course (BOLC) that we will be going to in Army's "course catalog". Based on the supposed report date of September of next year I'm going to guess that the first class date listed will be the course we will attend:

https://www.atrrs.army.mil/atrrscc/...SIC+OFFICER+LEADER+COURSE+COMMON+CORE&phase=1

I believe non-prior service folks used to attend a BOLC Prep Course that taught them about basic military knowledge (customs and courtesies, etc), but I'm not sure if that's still the case. That course was two weeks long and would take place just before the main BOLC Course. Here's the link to that course in case you're curious:

https://www.atrrs.army.mil/atrrscc/...EP)&crstitle=AMEDD+OFFICER+PREPARATORY&phase=

Ahhh, this waiting is driving me nuts. Patience is not a virtue I possess. Since applications weren't due until the 2nd of this month I imagine any last minute applications are just now getting verified and sent to the program, then another week or two to finish any interviews for those applications. I'm still hoping that we hear something very soon. I'm trying not to think about it by keeping busy, but whenever I sit down for a few minutes it creeps back into my head. :nailbiting:

I agree!!!! I can't wait to hear whether or not I make it to the final selection board! I emailed my recruiter, and she said that we should definitely hear by the end of the month.

And scrawnyguy, I am trying for a Navy spot, so BOLC doesn't apply to me right? Isn't that just for the Army?

I agree!!!! I can't wait to hear whether or not I make it to the final selection board! I emailed my recruiter, and she said that we should definitely hear by the end of the month.

And scrawnyguy, I am trying for a Navy spot, so BOLC doesn't apply to me right? Isn't that just for the Army?

You might be right, my whole career has been in the Army and I don't know much about the Navy to tell you the truth. I think your commissioning process is totally different.

I hope your recruiter is right, although there isn't much time left in the month to let us know. I'm pretty sure no one at the program will be working after tomorrow. Hopefully we hear next week at the latest. I'd really like to have my physical done and all of my paperwork submitted before the end of the year. At least at that point everything is done.

I really hope we hear soon. I just found out I got accepted at what is probably my #2 school and have to commit by Dec 9, but Army-Baylor is by far my #1...so if we heard before then that would be wonderful haha

I really hope we hear soon. I just found out I got accepted at what is probably my #2 school and have to commit by Dec 9, but Army-Baylor is by far my #1...so if we heard before then that would be wonderful haha

Congrats! You have a tough decision ahead of you for sure, but it has to be comforting knowing you got into a great program. If you find out from Army-Baylor that you made it to the military processing stage are you going to turn down the offer from the other school?

My recruiter emailed me today and let me know that he hasn't heard anything on his end about the next step. He said he honestly isn't sure if the program is going to contact is directly or if the recruiters will be contacted first. Now that it's the holiday weekend I imagine we won't hear anything until next week at the earliest. I'm going to to my best to push it all out of my head for a few days. I just want to put on some pants with an elastic waistband and gorge myself with turkey for a bit. :hungry::chicken:

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Congrats! You have a tough decision ahead of you for sure, but it has to be comforting knowing you got into a great program. If you find out from Army-Baylor that you made it to the military processing stage are you going to turn down the offer from the other school?

Yes, although it makes me a little sad to say it. I had it in my mind this whole time that if I were to receive an offer from Army-Baylor, I wouldn't hesitate in the least to immediately accept and turn down all others, but after seeing and meeting everyone at Texas State it actually is not going to be so easy. I still know that I'll choose Army-Baylor though- it will just be bittersweet :/

Hmm, well it sounds like we'll just have to be patient a little longer and see what happens :/ Happy thanksgiving!

Woohoo! I just got an email from Baylor letting me know that I made it to the next stage of the process. As long as something crazy doesn't come up in the military processing stage I'll be heading to the board in Feb. I did my best not to think about it over the holiday weekend, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't checking in on these boards over during downtime to see if anyone else heard anything. I know I'm not quite there yet, but it feels good to be one step closer. :banana:

I got the email too!! SO excited!!! Congrats!

I'm still a little unclear on exactly how this works though- assuming we pass everything in the military processing, does that pretty much mean we're in? Or do they narrow it down further at the selection board? In other words, is everyone that made it to this point someone they're hoping to accept as long as the military screening goes well?

Either way, I'm so excited :)