Army-Baylor Class of 2019 (Sept 16 BOLC Report/Jan 17 DPT Start)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrawnyguy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that the Class of 2018 has received their acceptances I thought it was a good time to get the ball rolling for the 2019 class.

This will be my first year applying to the program or any PT program for that matter. I left the Army about a year ago with plans of completing my prereqs, GRE, etc., in order to apply to the upcoming class, but I was getting a little overwhelmed so I decided to slow the pace a bit and apply for the 2016 start date. I was able to complete my prerequisites (I already had a Bachelor's degree), as well as rack up several hundred volunteer hours this past year. The last big hurdle is the GRE, which I hope to take in August.

Who else is planning on applying? There were a ton of people at the tour last week and I imagine quite of few of those in attendance frequent these boards.

Members don't see this ad.

In case anyone is curious the stats for the recently accepted class are around 3.8/3.8 and 314/4.1.

Hello! I was planning on applying in this coming cycle, but the only thing that makes me hesitant is my lack of military PT observation hours. As a current resident of Reno, NV, I can't find any military clinics to shadow at. Do you know if there is even a remote chance of being admitted without such experience? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I was planning on applying in this coming cycle, but the only thing that makes me hesitant is my lack of military PT observation hours. As a current resident of Reno, NV, I can't find any military clinics to shadow at. Do you know if there is even a remote chance of being admitted without such experience? Thanks!

They stopped of short of saying it's required, but they did say it was highly encouraged. There are several areas in the country without a base nearby so I'm sure there are people getting in without military PT hours. They also recommend going to VA, but I hear many VA's have been tightening down on their volunteer programs as far as patient interaction goes. For this reason the VA in Denver won't allow volunteers in the PT dept. anymore. I just checked on Google maps and you're about 2 hours from Beale AFB, near Marysville, CA. I've never been to that post so I'm not sure what type of facilities they have. The post near me is small and only has a clinic, not a full fledged hospital. When I first contacted them they didn't even have a PT of staff. All PT related stuff had to go to civilian providers in the area. You're also about 2 1/1 hours from Travis AFB near Vacaville, CA. I know for a fact that they have a full hospital and several clinics there. I was AGR with the Army in Sacramento and that's where I had to go for a lot of my medical stuff. They also have a satellite clinic at the old McClellan AFB area in Sacramento. It's a joint Air Force/VA clinic and I know they have primary care type stuff but, I'm not sure if they have PT there or not though. I know driving such a long way is not ideal, but perhaps you could do it a few times to get a handful of hours. Since the post near me didn't have a PT to shadow I was forced to drive to Ft. Carson, CO. Depending on traffic it's around 1 1/2 hours each way. I've managed to go down there 2-4 times a month since the beginning of the year. It sucks sometimes, but I think it will be worth it in the end. I think going to extra lengths to get these hours shows dedication.

They stopped of short of saying it's required, but they did say it was highly encouraged. There are several areas in the country without a base nearby so I'm sure there are people getting in without military PT hours. They also recommend going to VA, but I hear many VA's have been tightening down on their volunteer programs as far as patient interaction goes. For this reason the VA in Denver won't allow volunteers in the PT dept. anymore. I just checked on Google maps and you're about 2 hours from Beale AFB, near Marysville, CA. I've never been to that post so I'm not sure what type of facilities they have. The post near me is small and only has a clinic, not a full fledged hospital. When I first contacted them they didn't even have a PT of staff. All PT related stuff had to go to civilian providers in the area. You're also about 2 1/1 hours from Travis AFB near Vacaville, CA. I know for a fact that they have a full hospital and several clinics there. I was AGR with the Army in Sacramento and that's where I had to go for a lot of my medical stuff. They also have a satellite clinic at the old McClellan AFB area in Sacramento. It's a joint Air Force/VA clinic and I know they have primary care type stuff but, I'm not sure if they have PT there or not though. I know driving such a long way is not ideal, but perhaps you could do it a few times to get a handful of hours. Since the post near me didn't have a PT to shadow I was forced to drive to Ft. Carson, CO. Depending on traffic it's around 1 1/2 hours each way. I've managed to go down there 2-4 times a month since the beginning of the year. It sucks sometimes, but I think it will be worth it in the end. I think going to extra lengths to get these hours shows dedication.
Great information, thanks! Just like you said, my local VA cannot accept volunteers right now due to their rules. I'll look into the military hospitals and clinics you mentioned. Looks like there's not going to be an easy way to get military PT observation experience.

Great information, thanks! Just like you said, my local VA cannot accept volunteers right now due to their rules. I'll look into the military hospitals and clinics you mentioned. Looks like there's not going to be an easy way to get military PT observation experience.

I've heard the same thing about VA's across the country. It must be a national policy. I was luckily able to get in to the Sacramento VA a while back before the policy changed. I honestly didn't like it there anyhow. As a Vet I haven't been happy with the VA in general lately and I don't ever want to work there.

Hopefully you have some luck with one of those posts I mentioned. Some posts are weird about their volunteer policies as well. Carson initially told me that only current military ID card holders including dependents could volunteer in the hospital. I was persistent though and they eventually let me in. Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm applying as well! And I was also at the recent tour in May. It's definitely my top choice program, and it'd be a dream to get in. Trying to work on getting some more military hours in the coming months before it comes time to submit the application.

Military PT clinic observation hours are recommended, and they are not required. Applicants are admitted without them. Exposure to a military PT clinic, or to the military in general, communicates that the applicant has been exposed to the culture and the clinical aspects of military life.

What sort of chance do any of you think I'd stand with a 3.75 GPA (3.6x pre req/3.9x last 60) and 168v/158q GRE?

What sort of chance do any of you think I'd stand with a 3.75 GPA (3.6x pre req/3.9x last 60) and 168v/158q GRE?
best bet is to just apply and then find out.

I started a new thread for this but I figured I would post here because I'm gearing my application towards Army-Baylor. I'm also hoping tcpt might have some advice.

This question goes out to my fellow veterans and SMs. How did you list your military awards in PTCAS? I'm obviously going to list stuff like ARCOMs, MSMs, etc, but should I list the stuff you basically get for breathing (Campaign medals, Good Conduct medals, etc.).

Has anyone else talked to a recruiter yet? Do you know if we have to have our GRE completed by 2 Nov or do the results have to be received by then, which of course means it would have to be taken a few weeks before?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else talked to a recruiter yet? Do you know if we have to have our GRE completed by 2 Nov or do the results have to be received by then, which of course means it would have to be taken a few weeks before?

Recruiters aren't going to help much with academic questions. The program PTCAS page states the last acceptable test date of 2 NOV. Recruiters are for handling military entrance processing. If you have academic questions contact the program but review the online info first.

This question is aimed towards tcpt, but anyone can chime in if they like. Do you believe having a recommendation from a military (specifically an Army) PT provides a distinct advantage over one from a civilian PT? I have been fortunate enough to observe several Army PT's at Ft Carson but only for a few hours each. I was also able to complete an internship at a rehab hospital, during which time I worked with several 2 PT's on a pretty regular basis. I think they may have a better idea of my work habits in relation to PT.

@scrawnyguy , random question, but have you been in contact with a recruiter? I e-submitted my app today, and one of the school-specific questions asks you to list the contact information of the recruiter you've been in contact with. I had emailed mine back in early June just to get in touch, but he never responded. I emailed him again just a bit ago to follow up, but I'm a little worried about having put his information down when I haven't actually gotten the chance to speak with him yet.

And as to your question, I don't know, but I'd be interested to hear the answer too. Sorry to just ask you another question haha

@scrawnyguy , random question, but have you been in contact with a recruiter? I e-submitted my app today, and one of the school-specific questions asks you to list the contact information of the recruiter you've been in contact with. I had emailed mine back in early June just to get in touch, but he never responded. I emailed him again just a bit ago to follow up, but I'm a little worried about having put his information down when I haven't actually gotten the chance to speak with him yet.

And as to your question, I don't know, but I'd be interested to hear the answer too. Sorry to just ask you another question haha

I've been working with CPT Plotowski (sp?) out of the west region. Were you working with CPT Mello out of Texas by any chance?

I've been working with CPT Plotowski (sp?) out of the west region. Were you working with CPT Mello out of Texas by any chance?

No, but I am in Texas and I've been in contact with CPT Mello before since I thought about applying for a while last year. So I know he can be hard to reach, haha. But there's a new recruiter this year, SFC Ryan Lee, and he's the one Ive emailed this time.

No, but I am in Texas and I've been in contact with CPT Mello before since I thought about applying for a while last year. So I know he can be hard to reach, haha. But there's a new recruiter this year, SFC Ryan Lee, and he's the one Ive emailed this time.
CPT Mello is no longer a recruiter. I thought maybe you had old info but it sound like you're on track. From what I've heard you don't really interface with the recruiter too much until after the interview portion of the application process. At that point you start all of your military processing stuff like the physical and background checks.

Did every get an email from Army Baylor this past week? They are expecting more than 500 applicants, of which only a 100 or so will get interviews, of which only 20-25 will be accepted. I feel good about my application but that's a little nerve racking.

Yep, I got one on Monday. It's supposed to be around November-ish timeframe that they start sending invitations to interview, right? I have a couple interviews at other schools lined up already but Army-Baylor is by far my top choice so it's a little stressful knowing I won't hear anything from them until later. But at least I'll get some practice before then I guess!

Are you applying anywhere else, or just Army-Baylor?

Yep, I got one on Monday. It's supposed to be around November-ish timeframe that they start sending invitations to interview, right? I have a couple interviews at other schools lined up already but Army-Baylor is by far my top choice so it's a little stressful knowing I won't hear anything from them until later. But at least I'll get some practice before then I guess!

Are you applying anywhere else, or just Army-Baylor?

I think they are making the push to get applications in early so they can start interviews early as well. At the tour they said they are expecting their biggest application by a pretty large margin so I imagine it's going to taking a little longer to sort things out this year.

I'm only applying to Army-Baylor. My goal is to be a military PT and they make the best.

I just found this thread. It's great to have a forum like this to post questions and hopefully support each other in our journey. I am a first time applicant - prior service Med Services officer and I miss being in the Army. The Army-Baylor DPT program is top notch and a wise choice for anyone considering it. I wish everyone the best of luck! I know we will all be dying from the anticipation come late November, early December. From what I hear, they will select 100 to call for a phone interview, then the small number of selected candidates based upon those phone interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
I just found this thread. It's great to have a forum like this to post questions and hopefully support each other in our journey. I am a first time applicant - prior service Med Services officer and I miss being in the Army. The Army-Baylor DPT program is top notch and a wise choice for anyone considering it. I wish everyone the best of luck! I know we will all be dying from the anticipation come late November, early December. From what I hear, they will select 100 to call for a phone interview, then the small number of selected candidates based upon those phone interviews.

I miss the Army too. Sometimes I wish I never left but trying to get my pre-PT stuff done while stile serving was pretty much impossible for me.

Are you completely done with your application? I'm still putting the finishing touches on mine the application itself and I'm taking the GRE in a few weeks. I know they are expecting it to be a super competitive class. It's making me more than a little nervous.

I shadowed at Bethesda Naval Hospital in MD. The military PTs there highly recommend good GPA and hours (hopefully military), but also A TON OF LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE.

Reactions: 1 users
I miss the Army too. Sometimes I wish I never left but trying to get my pre-PT stuff done while stile serving was pretty much impossible for me.

Are you completely done with your application? I'm still putting the finishing touches on mine the application itself and I'm taking the GRE in a few weeks. I know they are expecting it to be a super competitive class. It's making me more than a little nervous.

Yea, I feel the same way sometimes. I wish I had known more about the Army DPT program when I was still in active duty.

I submitted my completed app in July and just re-took the GRE last week. I've been out of the Army since 2008 and working as a Chiropractor ever since. I love being a Chiropractor, but I have a strong desire to learn Rehabilitation and become an expert in it .... I also wan to do it as an officer in the Army. Shadowing a few Army DPT's, I've seen how amazing the job is.

Last edited:
I've been shadowing at Ft. Benning for a while now and the Army DPTs there also say, if you are a prior service or current Active Duty applicant, the biggest part of your app is leadership experience and shadowing experience. If you are a civilian applicant, without military service to beef up your app, GRE and grades matter more, but shadowing experience at military facilities is KEY. It shows you have a strong desire to be not only a PT, but a PT in the military.

I've been shadowing at Ft. Benning for a while now and the Army DPTs there also say, if you are a prior service or current Active Duty applicant, the biggest part of your app is leadership experience and shadowing experience. If you are a civilian applicant, without military service to beef up your app, GRE and grades matter more, but shadowing experience at military facilities is KEY. It shows you have a strong desire to be not only a PT, but a PT in the military.

That's good to know. I was an NCO for almost a decade so I should be good on the leadership aspect. I was also lucky enough to get observation hours in a military and a VA clinic. I was also fortunate enough to score an internship at a top notch rehab hospital so I have a whole mess of hours. My grades are solid, but I'm a little nervous about the GRE. I've always been good at taking tests, but I think I am building it up too much. I want to go to this program SOOOOOO bad and I know that I need to kill the GRE to make that happen. I'm psyching myself out.

That's good to know. I was an NCO for almost a decade so I should be good on the leadership aspect. I was also lucky enough to get observation hours in a military and a VA clinic. I was also fortunate enough to score an internship at a top notch rehab hospital so I have a whole mess of hours. My grades are solid, but I'm a little nervous about the GRE. I've always been good at taking tests, but I think I am building it up too much. I want to go to this program SOOOOOO bad and I know that I need to kill the GRE to make that happen. I'm psyching myself out.

Find a good review book and study hard for the math portion. Read the tips and tricks for verbal and writing so you know what to expect and how to strategize - they are harder to study for because it's tough to study how to write and you can't memorize millions of word definitions. The best thing you can do to prepare is take practice tests!!! That will make you feel comfortable with the format. the GRE website has a computer based practice software for free that has tests. I also bought a review book with explanations, practice problems and 2 practice tests. Hope that helps!

Just try to stay as calm as possible during the exam and don't get flustered if you have to guess on questions or don't know the answer.

Find a good review book and study hard for the math portion. Read the tips and tricks for verbal and writing so you know what to expect and how to strategize - they are harder to study for because it's tough to study how to write and you can't memorize millions of word definitions. The best thing you can do to prepare is take practice tests!!! That will make you feel comfortable with the format. the GRE website has a computer based practice software for free that has tests. I also bought a review book with explanations, practice problems and 2 practice tests. Hope that helps!

Just try to stay as calm as possible during the exam and don't get flustered if you have to guess on questions or don't know the answer.

It sounds like you have a very strong application as far as the leadership, experience and observation! You should have a great shot

For the most part I've been using Magoosh. They have a TON of videos that ended up taking me weeks to watch. My practice GRE score has jumped 10 points since I started watching them. The average score last year was 314. They think this class is going to be a little more competitive and I imagine the scores may go up a bit. I'm aiming for at least a 315. I'm taking the GRE on Oct 8th so I still have a couple of weeks to work on deficiencies. I'm just a couple of points off my target which calms my nerves a bit. As long as I keep focused these next couple of weeks I think I'll be fine.

I finally submitted my application today. I've been pecking away at my essays for a while but not getting much done. I decided to take a couple of days off from studying for the GRE to knock them out. I hate to lose the study time but it feels good to not having the application hanging over my head. Next up: GRE on Oct 8th

ABGLA2016, Have you heard anything regarding interviews yet? I wonder if they are going to wait until all of the applications are in before they start interviews or if they are going to start interviewing stronger candidates right away. I know they are making a big push to get applications right away so I'm hoping it's the latter.

@scrawnyguy I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that they wouldn't be sending out anything regarding interviews until November, but that could be wrong. I know for sure they don't actually start interviews until then though.

@scrawnyguy I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that they wouldn't be sending out anything regarding interviews until November, but that could be wrong. I know for sure they don't actually start interviews until then though.

Bummer. I was hoping they would start them a little sooner. I think all of the interviews are done by the faculty down there and the school pretty much shuts down for holiday exodus at the of December. It seems like a lot of interviews for a small number of people to perform in a short amount of time.

Just got an email about 20 minutes ago for an interview!! I'm so excited! And the time slots they're offering start TOMORROW... I'm a little shocked because I had no idea it could be this early haha, but definitely pleasantly so :)

Just got an email about 20 minutes ago for an interview!! I'm so excited! And the time slots they're offering start TOMORROW... I'm a little shocked because I had no idea it could be this early haha, but definitely pleasantly so :)

Awesome, congrats! You submitted a while back didn't you? I just submitted last week and I still have my GRE coming up in a week so I imagine I'm pretty far down the queue. I hope I can at least be done by the beginning of November.

Awesome, congrats! You submitted a while back didn't you? I just submitted last week and I still have my GRE coming up in a week so I imagine I'm pretty far down the queue. I hope I can at least be done by the beginning of November.

Yep, I submitted pretty early (early August I think, and verified more like mid-August). I'm sure once all your materials are in and processed you'll be on the same timeframe as anyone else though! I bet you're just waiting on that GRE score.

Yep, I submitted pretty early (early August I think, and verified more like mid-August). I'm sure once all your materials are in and processed you'll be on the same timeframe as anyone else though! I bet you're just waiting on that GRE score.
It looks like the verification process is taking almost a month now that application rush has started. Do they tell you anything about the interview ahead of time, such as who is interviewing you?

I got an email from the program in general saying that I had been selected for an interview and would be contacted to set up an appointment, and then a few minutes later a second one from an army PT who I believe will be my interviewer. So I'm pretty sure your interviewer contacts you to set the time!

I got an email from the program in general saying that I had been selected for an interview and would be contacted to set up an appointment, and then a few minutes later a second one from an army PT who I believe will be my interviewer. So I'm pretty sure your interviewer contacts you to set the time!

Cool. Good luck! Be sure to let us all know how it goes.

Hey everyone, I am applying this year as well!
I am currently freaking out though because I am not sure if the Nov 2 deadline is the time when PTCAS has to have received transcripts and the electronic app has to be submitted OR is that the date when Baylor has to have received the verified app from PTCAS? So worried that I am not going to make the deadline! Any insight into the deadline would be helpful!
I have a 4.0 GPA (prereq and otherwise), 319 GRE, about 400 observation hours (including VA clinic hours)
Best of luck to everyone!

Hey everyone, I am applying this year as well!
I am currently freaking out though because I am not sure if the Nov 2 deadline is the time when PTCAS has to have received transcripts and the electronic app has to be submitted OR is that the date when Baylor has to have received the verified app from PTCAS? So worried that I am not going to make the deadline! Any insight into the deadline would be helpful!
I have a 4.0 GPA (prereq and otherwise), 319 GRE, about 400 observation hours (including VA clinic hours)
Best of luck to everyone!

You just have to have it submitted by Nov 2nd, but they want it sooner so they can start getting interviews knocked out.

Thank the Lord! That's awesome, thanks for the reply! So which branch are you trying to get in?

I'm hoping for a Navy spot, but I honestly would take either. I just want to serve this country as a PT. Although I have reasons for leaning more towards Navy, I'd be honored to serve in any branch.

I'm hoping for a Navy spot, but I honestly would take either. I just want to serve this country as a PT. Although I have reasons for leaning more towards Navy, I'd be honored to serve in any branch.
Gotcha. I was in the Army for several years so it makes sense for me to go that route. I also know that I wouldn't handle being assigned to a carrier or hospital ship very well. I get a little claustrophobic.

Scrawnyguy, thank you for your service. And good luck on the GRE, rock it out!
I e-submitted my PTCAS app today and my transcripts have already been mailed (although they haven't arrived yet). Can't wait for PTCAS to verify it and receive my transcripts! Can it be March already?

Scrawnyguy, thank you for your service. And good luck on the GRE, rock it out!
I e-submitted my PTCAS app today and my transcripts have already been mailed (although they haven't arrived yet). Can't wait for PTCAS to verify it and receive my transcripts! Can it be March already?

Thank you!

I'm with you, let's just fast forward a few months. All of this waiting is killing me. I'll feel a little better once the GRE and interview are completed, but it's still going to be nerve racking.

I don't think I ever posted my "stats" and I know some people like to use them for comparison's sake.

University: University of Missouri
Major: Health Sciences
Cum GPA: 3.88
Prereq: 3.9-4.0 (depending on how they classify one of my courses)
GRE: 319
Observation: 687 Neuro (split between in and outpatient), 73 Military Clinic, 40 VA Outpatient Clinic
Extracurricular: I'm a non-traditional student so not much here. I was in the Army/Army Reserves for almost 15 years, including 3 deployments. I was a Non-Commissioned Officer for most of that time, which I'm hoping will show my leadership capabilities.

Last edited: