Army-Baylor Class of 2019 (Sept 16 BOLC Report/Jan 17 DPT Start)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well from the looks of it I will see many of you again next year. Congrats to all those who got in and good luck in the future! As for those not accepted, it isn't the end of the road and I hope either you find a spot soon or give it another shot next year. Good luck all! I'm out.

Members don't see this ad.

Any new news anyone's heard???
I'm pretty sure the initial acceptance list had 14 days to accept or decline, and that doesn't include physicals. I would be surprised if we heard any news before middle of next week.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure the initial acceptance list had 14 days to accept or decline, and that doesn't include physicals. I would be surprised if we heard any news before middle of next week.

Not sure about the 14 days stuff, they never gave me a time frame. To be fair I never asked so maybe they just assumed I was accepting.

FYI-I received an email this morning that basically said acceptees have until COB Monday to accept their position or they will be removed from the class. Honestly I don't see a lot of people turning down their spot, but there could be some movement next week.

If they wish, anyone on the OML can get feedback on their application. If you send a request to the program email, listed on the website, you can request a review of your PTCAS application. Now that the Army-Baylor DPT handles the application process there is a direct link between the applicant and the program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Your recruiter was right regarding the "no preference but would prefer Navy." It does nothing to decrease your chances on selection, only works to communicate where you'd like to serve. If an applicant selects "Army only" or "Navy only" then that does limit their choices. Branching to the Army and Navy selection is chosen at the selection board and applicants go through either Navy ODS or Army BOLC prior to the start of the DPT program. It is not done at graduation.

This applicant cohort is no trial case, PTCAS has worked exactly as we planned it to work within our recruiting and admissions program. Recruiters can't know where you are on the OML, nor should they. If they knew more about board results then that might affect how you are treated. In years past, applicants had to provide recruiters with paper copies of transcripts and GREs in addition to letters of reference. Not a very efficient process, nor fair, particularly for waitlisted applicants. The DPT program in San Antonio now has full visibility of the entire cohort through PTCAS.

The way that applicants and those on the waitlist is being handled is to preserve your rights to be fully considered, if we can make you an offer. We also are sensitive to your rights to be considered next year if you choose to apply again. Applicants must consider that DPT recruiting and admissions, for all programs, is extraordinarily competitive and our program, in particular, must evaluate applicants across a wider range of characteristics than academics and observation hours.

Sorry to be joining this conversation so late, I've been out of town with spotty internet connection for the last week. While I do believe that it is the program's intention for applicants to be able to state that they would happily serve in either branch - I still believe that my recruiter was at least somewhat correct in saying that my application was reviewed differently because I selected an option with the Navy. This is because I was interviewed by a Navy Commander, and during the interview he asked me several Navy-specific questions. Reading the post from others on this forum, I noticed that many were interviewed by an Army Major (I also was interviewed by a Major the first time I applied and selected 'no preference but would prefer Army'). It is hard for me to believe that if we were separated into groups for the interview, this wouldn't be seen by the Selection Board. I knew that I was taking a risk of appearing uncommitted when I switched my preference option in my second application (I hoped that it would show that I was willing to serve in either branch) and I understand that there are most likely several other factors as to why I was put on the OML, but I am frustrated over the confusion of how our applications are reviewed. For example, my interviewer somehow knew that this was my second time applying and asked me if I had a back-up plan if I wasn't selected - I found this discouraging. I am not bitter about how things turned out, but I am confused as to what I should select as branch 'preference' if I am going to apply again. I am excited that we are going to have feedback on our applications, and am curious as to how long the turn around time is expected to be on our emails for request of reviews.

Sorry to be joining this conversation so late, I've been out of town with spotty internet connection for the last week. While I do believe that it is the program's intention for applicants to be able to state that they would happily serve in either branch - I still believe that my recruiter was at least somewhat correct in saying that my application was reviewed differently because I selected an option with the Navy. This is because I was interviewed by a Navy Commander, and during the interview he asked me several Navy-specific questions. Reading the post from others on this forum, I noticed that many were interviewed by an Army Major (I also was interviewed by a Major the first time I applied and selected 'no preference but would prefer Army'). It is hard for me to believe that if we were separated into groups for the interview, this wouldn't be seen by the Selection Board. I knew that I was taking a risk of appearing uncommitted when I switched my preference option in my second application (I hoped that it would show that I was willing to serve in either branch) and I understand that there are most likely several other factors as to why I was put on the OML, but I am frustrated over the confusion of how our applications are reviewed. For example, my interviewer somehow knew that this was my second time applying and asked me if I had a back-up plan if I wasn't selected - I found this discouraging. I am not bitter about how things turned out, but I am confused as to what I should select as branch 'preference' if I am going to apply again. I am excited that we are going to have feedback on our applications, and am curious as to how long the turn around time is expected to be on our emails for request of reviews.

The US Army-Baylor Admissions Department reviews every application/record for eligibility (Admissions Office) and competitiveness (Faculty review) before a decision is made to offer an interview.

There have been numerous requests for record reviews, each record must be reviewed and feedback provided by the Director of Admissions. Applicants who requested a review can expect to see feedback by the weeks end. If you emailed the organization box then it has been directed for review. If you do not receive feed back by 6 pm CST Friday, please reengage.

Branch preference explanation. There are 22 slots available annually, which are comprised of 4 Navy and 18 Army positions. No preference means you are competing for all 22 slots. Army/Navy preferred indicates your preference but you are still competing for 22 slots. Army only identifiers complete for 18/22 slots; while Navy only competes for 4/22 slots. Your selection plays no other part besides the service you wish to serve. If you change your service preference upon reapplication, it has no effects outside the number of slots for which you complete.

A reason they might have known your are a re-applicant depends on how you answered the school specific questions in your application: 1. Have you previously applied to this PT education program? 2. If you are reapplying to this program, how have you strengthened your application?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
The US Army-Baylor Admissions Department reviews every application/record for eligibility (Admissions Office) and competitiveness (Faculty review) before a decision is made to offer an interview.

There have been numerous requests for record reviews, each record must be reviewed and feedback provided by the Director of Admissions. Applicants who requested a review can expect to see feedback by the weeks end. If you emailed the organization box then it has been directed for review. If you do not receive feed back by 6 pm CST Friday, please reengage.

Branch preference explanation. There are 22 slots available annually, which are comprised of 4 Navy and 18 Army positions. No preference means you are competing for all 22 slots. Army/Navy preferred indicates your preference but you are still competing for 22 slots. Army only identifiers complete for 18/22 slots; while Navy only competes for 4/22 slots. Your selection plays no other part besides the service you wish to serve. If you change your service preference upon reapplication, it has no effects outside the number of slots for which you complete.

A reason they might have known your are a re-applicant depends on how you answered the school specific questions in your application: 1. Have you previously applied to this PT education program? 2. If you are reapplying to this program, how have you strengthened your application?

Thank you for addressing my concerns. I am trying to decide if I should apply to the program one more time, and though I received a response to my request for a record review, it did not contain as much feedback as I had hoped. However, I have learned that if one cannot identify the areas they struggle with on their own, they didn't study the material properly - this has been true for every test I have taken, and I think I can guess which part of my application needs the most attention. I appreciate that the program took the time to assist those of us who were placed on the OML improve our applications and wish the best of luck to everyone who is going to reapply for the next cycle.

Did anyone get any feedback that they found helpful? I just heard that the board liked my packet but I didn't quite make up for not having a high overall GPA.

Last edited:
Did anyone get any feedback that they found helpful? I just heard that the board liked my packet but I didn't quite make up for not having a high overall GPA.

I was told that I was a very competitive applicant and shown how my stats compared to the cohort. Regarding areas to work on, I was told to make sure my LoRs expressed what I wanted the board to know and to look into how PT correlates with military service. I am going to apply again. My cum GPA (3.67) was below average and my math GRE score (155) was below average. Other than that, my other areas were equal or above the cohort. Not sure how much I need to redo for the next application but I plan on retaking the GRE, strengthening my LoRs, getting more hours in military settings and putting a lot more work into my essays when the time comes. I will also retake a chemistry class that will be more than 10 years old by the next application but my GPA can't be changed very much at this point.

I was told that I was a very competitive applicant and shown how my stats compared to the cohort. Regarding areas to work on, I was told to make sure my LoRs expressed what I wanted the board to know and to look into how PT correlates with military service. I am going to apply again. My cum GPA (3.67) was below average and my math GRE score (155) was below average. Other than that, my other areas were equal or above the cohort. Not sure how much I need to redo for the next application but I plan on retaking the GRE, strengthening my LoRs, getting more hours in military settings and putting a lot more work into my essays when the time comes. I will also retake a chemistry class that will be more than 10 years old by the next application but my GPA can't be changed very much at this point.

Would you mind sharing the stats of the cohort? Wait did they actually give them to you? Or did they just say you were above or below average on the different items? Thanks!

Lumberbear,

I am not exactly sure if these are the solid numbers. They are just what I received on my feedback form. Under each category header, it had a number in parenthesis and I am assuming that these numbers represent the averages of the cohort.

GRE Verbal: 160
GRE Math: 158
GRE Writing: 4.4

GPA Cum: 3.85
Pre Req GPA: 3.89

Lumberbear,

I am not exactly sure if these are the solid numbers. They are just what I received on my feedback form. Under each category header, it had a number in parenthesis and I am assuming that these numbers represent the averages of the cohort.

GRE Verbal: 160
GRE Math: 158
GRE Writing: 4.4

GPA Cum: 3.85
Pre Req GPA: 3.89

Those are accurate stats on the cohort of selectees who received offers. Aside from academic statistics, applicants are evaluated on who will become the best officer by a selection board of senior officers.

Would any of the people on here be able to present the types of questions you were asked during the interview? I will be applying in July just trying to see if they have any questions you were not expecting.

It's direct commission, not OCS. Here is a link to the Basic Officer Leader Course (BOLC) that we will be going to in Army's "course catalog". Based on the supposed report date of September of next year I'm going to guess that the first class date listed will be the course we will attend:

https://www.atrrs.army.mil/atrrscc/...SIC+OFFICER+LEADER+COURSE+COMMON+CORE&phase=1

I believe non-prior service folks used to attend a BOLC Prep Course that taught them about basic military knowledge (customs and courtesies, etc), but I'm not sure if that's still the case. That course was two weeks long and would take place just before the main BOLC Course. Here's the link to that course in case you're curious:

https://www.atrrs.army.mil/atrrscc/...EP)&crstitle=AMEDD+OFFICER+PREPARATORY&phase=
What about BCT?

What about BCT?

There is no BCT for direct commission (although I personally think there should be). This year's class was the last one to go through the 2 week Pre-BOLC course. Starting in January direct commissionees will go through a special direct commission course that is held at Ft Sill, OK. Unlike pre-BOLC, which was a "gentlemen's course" where everyone went home around 5 everyday and didn't train on weekends, the DCC will be a little like an abbreviated BCT. Everyone will stay in barracks and all of that jazz. I believe it will be 3 weeks long. Apparently they go back and forth between the pre-BOLC and DCC every few years so it might change again down the road.