Are there any South Asians in Podiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noordoctor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sounds rather silly but just wanted to know?! Here in my city, there is not any diversity amongst practising podiatrists. So just wondering, is this profession "hot" amongst the desis?hehehe:laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I'm desi...and I am starting in the Fall...
I met a few desi students at Barry and CSPM....

Sounds rather silly but just wanted to know?! Here in my city, there is not any diversity amongst practising podiatrists. So just wondering, is this profession "hot" amongst the desis?hehehe:laugh:

At SCPM there was only 4 in my class of 2007. There were also 4 in the class below me. Not sure about 2009 or 2010 or 2011.

As far as "real" asians (inside joke with brown ppl), there were only 9, mostly chinese/taiwanese (2007)

There were 10 African Americans (2007).

2 native Americans (real ones, not the "yeah, i'm part cherokee" ones)

2 latinos

3 persians

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it is slowly becoming more popular. I am going to be applying Fall 2008!

Any profession > $90k , you will find tons of desis in it. he he. Many desis go straight to medical school and if not to carribean (you wont even find that many in Osteo schools). There are not many desis in Podiatry bcoz of lack of knowledge abt the profession (and same wth DO schools). But as many of us are going back to community and explaining pre-meds and their parents (after all they are the main bosses in our lives:)) abt the oppurtunities in Podiatry. Iam sure in next two yrs we will have good number of Pods just as we have in Pharmacy and Medicine:thumbup::)

There are good number of Asians at my school but in general Podiatry is a small profession. A more recent trend is that some Osteopathic medical schools have taken former Podiatrists as advanced placement students such as NSU COM and NECOM.

Actually fyi, from the data I got from my school, most Pods average 60k a year for the first couple of years out of residency, unless you went to a 3 surgical residency. Starting salaries for primary care doctors in smaller cities range from 170k to 200k a year out of residency, salary data for MDs and DOs, as well as Dentists are more consistent.

What school do you go to if I may ask?

Anyway, they were asking about south asians in podiatry, not if they can transfer to DO schools or backdoor their way into an MD/DO program. It sucks if you are personally bitter about the profession, but don't ruin a good thing for these guys.

There are good number of Asians at my school but in general Podiatry is a small profession. A more recent trend is that some Osteopathic medical schools have taken former Podiatrists as advanced placement students such as NSU COM and NECOM.

Actually fyi, from the data I got from my school, most Pods average 60k a year for the first couple of years out of residency, unless you went to a 3 surgical residency. Starting salaries for primary care doctors in smaller cities range from 170k to 200k a year out of residency, salary data for MDs and DOs, as well as Dentists are more consistent.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=466696

Here's a thread about salary.

I think you are confusing Asian with South Asian, so I'm guessing you're not either. It's one thing to be ignorant about your future, it's another to be ignorant about race. If you don't know the difference between Desi and Paki, you need more brown in your life. haha

Any profession > $90k , you will find tons of desis in it. he he. Many desis go straight to medical school and if not to carribean (you wont even find that many in Osteo schools). There are not many desis in Podiatry bcoz of lack of knowledge abt the profession (and same wth DO schools). But as many of us are going back to community and explaining pre-meds and their parents (after all they are the main bosses in our lives:)) abt the oppurtunities in Podiatry. Iam sure in next two yrs we will have good number of Pods just as we have in Pharmacy and Medicine:thumbup::)
hahaha, so true!!!!

here in canada, in my province, there isnt ONE desi podiatrist. Can you believe it? Toronto is the most multicultural city and there are way too many south asians here but not one single one! I was shocked to find that out.

Members don't see this ad :)
here in canada, in my province, there isnt ONE desi podiatrist. Can you believe it? Toronto is the most multicultural city and there are way too many south asians here but not one single one! I was shocked to find that out.

Ooo one more desi canadian. in my class 2011 of scholl, we have 3 or 4 desi canadians. Are you on facebook. join the scholl class of 2011 grp. waisay noor eid mubarak.hope u have a good one.

Ooo one more desi canadian. in my class 2011 of scholl, we have 3 or 4 desi canadians. Are you on facebook. join the scholl class of 2011 grp. waisay noor eid mubarak.hope u have a good one.
hey thanks! Eid Mubarak to you too (if you celebrate it). Ahh I love when all different religious holidays fall around the sametime. Its so fun!

I am the only one that is not on facebook! I refuse to give in. Wow, I am glad there are canadians at scholl. USA is really different than Toronto, I went there for family trips, in Toronto, it really feels like people for every corner are here, its so multi-cultural.

I'm doing well, been practicing for 7 years now. Not finding alot of other indian podiatrists referring, but that's ok.
wow thats amazing, 7 years!!! dont worry, there are others that may refer you. Just keep up the good work! How do you find managing family life/social life in general with the profession?

It's good to see some excitement among desis about podiatry =)
haven't met many that think highly of it...
belated Eid mubarak you guys! hope you had a great one

waisey, where are you guys headed in the fall?? shayad, i'll join too...

Hey i am a desi and at NYCPM there are lot many south asians. Podiatry is getting bigger than we think. Its a great profession a growing one

Alot of desis are getting into podiatry, especially for the reason that in India there are over 40 million people with diabetes and not one single podiatrist. There is an endocrinologist by the name of Dr. Shankdhar who is trying to change it. But it is very slow going due to the lack of knowledge.

Maybe some of us can help set up a clinic over there or start a clinical rotation. PM if any of you have connections back in India.

Another desi Canadian here!

noordoctor there may not be any desi pods in T.O becuase as far as I know you would have to go to the Ontario chiropody school (@ Ryerson?) in order to practice in Ontario. Ontario has one of the worst scopes of practice for DPM's (not allowed to practice at all) and the chiropodists are not paid well at all. It is identical to Saskatchewan in that regard. I believe Quebec lets up practice but pays very poorly. All the other provinces seem to have a brighter future for us though. Please correct me if I am wrong it has been a while since I have looked this stuff up.

Hello everyone

I am from India and am in the process of getting admission to SCPM.

I was apprehensive about podiatry after reading all those MD vs DPM posts in SDN but this thread saved my day. It was nice to know a few good responses from south asians regarding DPM.

hope this thread stays active:thumbup:...

i am south asian and i graduate from undergrad this spring. i am starting to like podiatry more and more as I become exposed to it. anyways, did u guys have problems convincing ur parents that podiatry was a viable and a very respected means of making a living? My parents ae pretty supportive of what I do but I want to make sure they have no doubts.

another desi here....just learned about podiatry and there is so much conflicting info out there....someone give me the truth! no bakwas..hahaha..cut to the chase....how much will i make....dept of labor says 118k....dunno how true that is

Anywhere from 46k - 200k although only the top very few who have been working for a number of years earn in the 200k.

Anywhere from 46k - 200k although only the top very few who have been working for a number of years earn in the 200k.

There are quite a few dpm's making more than 200k - much more. Please dont turn this thread into a money/salary thread. DO a search there are plenty already.

Hey, I'm a south asian, who's been practicing podiatry for the past 7 years. If you have any questions on how it's like to practice podiatry as a south asian, don't hesitate to PM me.

SportsPod, i think i read somewhere that you're desi...right...
so do you have desi uncles argue with you how anything other than MD is not a doctor? What's the nicest way to deal with ppl like that?
(I am talking about the ones who are obsessed with their pre med kids lives...as if they are the ones taking the bio and ochem and applying to med schools...the ruin their kids' lives and make them get an "MD" even if it takes going to school in the Carribean...)
I personally find it really annoying...but yet havent found the nicest way to tell people...that it's medicine and you're considered a doctor as a DPM...it's worse when they are cab drivers...and have no clue what it takes to get into med schools of any sort! lol

SportsPod, i think i read somewhere that you're desi...right...
so do you have desi uncles argue with you how anything other than MD is not a doctor? What's the nicest way to deal with ppl like that?
(I am talking about the ones who are obsessed with their pre med kids lives...as if they are the ones taking the bio and ochem and applying to med schools...the ruin their kids' lives and make them get an "MD" even if it takes going to school in the Carribean...)
I personally find it really annoying...but yet havent found the nicest way to tell people...that it's medicine and you're considered a doctor as a DPM...it's worse when they are cab drivers...and have no clue what it takes to get into med schools of any sort! lol

Yeah, I'm desi. I haven't had the road block from Indian uncles or aunties. Once they found out that it is considered a surgical sub-speciality they pretty much supported it and wanted to be my first patient. The biggest roadblock I find is getting referrals from Indian internists or family practictioners.

I suggest you drop hints about the APMA website or ACFAS website so that people get educated. Remember, don't get into podiatry if you're trying to please someone else, get into it only if you're committed to being the best podiatrist.

The biggest roadblock I find is getting referrals from Indian internists or family practictioners.

Can you attribute this to any specific factors?

why won't other desi docs gve you referrals? problem kya hai inkey? shouldn't they be helping out a fellow desi?

why won't other desi docs gve you referrals? problem kya hai inkey? shouldn't they be helping out a fellow desi?

Like some one said it before, sabhi desi doctor khud hi khana chahte hai.

aapni hi jeb bharte hai desi doctors.

:laugh:

i have one word for such desi docs (they probably have big fat paits and are half takley too, lol) K.K.V...shahrukh khan style, LOL
Kuttay. Kameena. Vagaira Vagaira (from one two ka 4) lol

tho BShah, kya decide kiya? Barry janey ka pakka plan hai?

i have one word for such desi docs (they probably have big fat paits and are half takley too, lol) K.K.V...shahrukh khan style, LOL
Kuttay. Kameena. Vagaira Vagaira (from one two ka 4) lol

tho BShah, kya decide kiya? Barry janey ka pakka plan hai?

I already sent in my deposit of $1000 to Barry and i also have some other interviews but i am 99% sure that i am going to Barry.

Can you attribute this to any specific factors?

I don't know why this is happeneing. When I confront the specific doctor about it, he points to the staff, but when the staff is questioned, they point to the doctor. So, I don't know honestly what to think.

P.S. I don't speak hindi, so I have no idea what the past few comments meant. Thanks!

I don't know why this is happeneing. When I confront the specific doctor about it, he points to the staff, but when the staff is questioned, they point to the doctor. So, I don't know honestly what to think.

A unfortunate situation to say the least. I find that jealousy runs rampant in our communities. With that said I cant see what the doctor(s) in question would have to gain from not sending you patients. Are these doc just sending their patients to other pods?!?!?

P.S. I don't speak hindi, so I have no idea what the past few comments meant. Thanks!

Be thankful, you're only missing mindless offtopic chit chat.

I'd have to agree with that statement. It's sad but true, you don't just see this in the medical community, but also in schools. I've experienced many times where professors & students have completely ignored me. We need to learn how to band together. Race & gender should never be a factor!

A unfortunate situation to say the least. I find that jealousy runs rampant in our communities. With that said I cant see what the doctor(s) in question would have to gain from not sending you patients. Are these doc just sending their patients to other pods?!?!?

No, they're not sending these patient to anybody. Sometimes I end up with these patient because they have a PPO insurance plan, so they can go to anybody without a referral. I'm not worried about it at this point because I'm busy with referrals from other physicians. I just think that there is still some educating within our community that needs to be done.

Hey , Im a desi student going to cspm in the Fall ..anybody know when classes start? What's everyone doing for housing I'm thinking getting about an apartment any suggestions.

desi here as well starting fall 08'

hi. i am just wondering when did the applications come out for
the entering class of fall 08 for podiatry schools. i just applied in
march. any chance of getting in or no.

late applier

hi. i am just wondering when did the applications come out for
the entering class of fall 08 for podiatry schools. i just applied in
march. any chance of getting in or no.

late applier

what schools did you apply to?

I'll be attending OCPM this fall :cool:

yo ill be attending temple in the fall. kya hal chal he yaros?!

any desis gonna be there? or will i be all by my lonesome?
man nycpm has hella desi reprezentaaaation!

haha tis true, i'm hydro to the bone. i keep it real with the biryani and tanda paani.