Are my ECs extremely cookie cutter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Donna Moss

donnatella moss
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Disclaimer: I'm by no means overly knowledgeable about this, nor is it likely that I have any level of expertise beyond your own in applying to medical schools.

That being said - It seems like you have all the bases covered! Research (not published, but I feel like for the average DO applicant it's above average), community volunteering, physician shadowing, and leadership are all important, and it seems like you've covered them all. I think it's cool you're following your passions - maybe sculpt it with more clinical experience or even some clinical employment? From a fellow pre-med who is currently applying - I feel like you've got some pretty solid EC's that could be rounded out pretty easily!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I agree with everything that @goilers said above. But in addition to that, I'd like to add that I feel it's important to distinguish WHY these ECs were meaningful to you. Yes, a lot of people volunteer at a hospital, but what impact did it make on YOU? I mean, hiking is just walking until you intentionally put meaning into it, right?

I honestly think that's what makes all the difference. You have time to reflect and be introspective right now, so I would take some time to think about how your ECs have shaped your narrative. All the best to you

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest more clinical experience.

Thank you so much for your replies. I just have one follow up question. I don't have any certifications (and may not be able to get one until next spring) and I can't work full time. What types of clinical experience can I get as a full time student outside of a free clinic?
Scribe

Thank you so much for your replies. I just have one follow up question. I don't have any certifications (and may not be able to get one until next spring) and I can't work full time. What types of clinical experience can I get as a full time student outside of a free clinic?

Patient Care Assistant jobs part time aren't too hard to find.. or things like "tech aide" where you assist x ray techs with imaging and stuff. Just check the job boards of your local hospitals and I bet you'll find these. Sometimes Patient Care Asst. positions require your CNA, but most don't. I got that position with no prior training and really enjoyed it!

I just feel like my ECs are meh at best. I know people working as clinical coordinators, volunteering at assisted living homes, crisis centers for women, some are scribing and are ESL teachers and i unfortunately keep comparing myself to other people. I can't work full time in a clinical setting because I'm starting an SMP. I try to volunteer/work as a research assistant as much as I can, but I can only give it my all to a few things at time.

Here are my ECs. Any advice or input on improvement would be greatly appreciated.

2 clinical research projects - no pubs - 500 hrs/each over 3 years (some patient contact)
paid tutor to elementary school children over 2 summers (probably around 300 hours)
office accounting assistant over 1 summer- 150 hours
free health clinic volunteer in very underserved area- hoping for 200 by the time I apply - current only like 40
restarted a club/president of cultural org, formally public relations chair/advisor - 2 years (3 years by the time I apply)
reading volunteer at underserved elementary school + board position in same org- 2 years
peer mentor - 2.5 years
shadowing; DO-50 hours MD:40-50ish

What I'm thinking of doing while I'm in my SMP: volunteering at a free health clinic, mentoring underserved high school students on college plans/tutoring, and MAYBE research? Or is that extremely cookie cutter, and should I branch out? btw everything I'm doing I am extremely passionate about.
No, they are very good.

Cookie cutter ECs =
100 hrs clinical
100 hrs non-clinical (most commonly done on-campus)
> 500 hrs research
50 hrs shadowing.

Reactions: 1 users
Scribe is more like shadowing.
I'm assuming you've never scribed before lol.

Edit: didn't mean to come off as harsh. My scribing and shadowing experiences have just been VERY different.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users